Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

RGM wrote: »
    Near 500 points for the county. Donegal could use more players as frustrating as that.

Yeah but we cannot afford to pick players on reputation for a team as good as this Dublin team do you not think?
    We cannot have passengers for the Dublin game if we are to do ourselves justice would you not say?
    Any chance we have of a score must be taken and its clear for all of us to see that it is just not working for Colm in the county colours at the moment.
    I hope it comes good for him as I still believe he can do it; however I would hope that we do not see another display where his frustration is clear to see as it will cost us immensely.

I see HS have an article that Lacey is a doubt with his hamstring. I do not know how reliable the information is but I heard from a mate on Sunday evening that it is his ankle that is giving him the headache and it's a serious worry.

I'm wishing my life away here for the 31st as I cannot wait for it. As Jim always says; "do ourselves justice". If we do ourselves justice and perform to our maximum I will leave Croke Park happy no matter what way the result goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Near 500 points for the county. Donegal could use more players as frustrating as that.
    He scored 3 points last Saturday which is roughly his average tally per game since he started out. Would you class his performance against Armagh as frustrating or as a performance worthy of a player of the year award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Are those the two options for judging a performance? Player of the Year or frustrating? God help any children you might have.

Nobody is denying it's been a frustrating year for him. I'm taking issue with your implication that he simply got lucky for a year in 2012 and was otherwise a **** forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

McFadden has been a fab servant for the county. I think he is having a stinker of a season though. I have been to most of the league games, and all the championship games, he just is not doing the business.

The question is should he be given another chance to hit form in the game v dublin, or should he just be allowed to play on the merit of his service over the years. The reality is that he probably deserves the run, and most of us on the forums are not in a situation to be critical in the first place, because we are either not near his standard, or have never even played football in the first instance!

I am all on for him starting against dublin. You never know, he might click, even if it were for a few frees, that would be sufficient. Hopefully he will get the credit he deserves at the end of the year, there is no point in looking at 2012 and thinking that that is where it should be at year in year out. That is simply unreasonable.

Are those the two options for judging a performance? Player of the Year or frustrating? God help any children you might have.
    He was a very, very strong contender for POTY in 2012 which is close to the standard that everyone now expects and/or hopes he can return to and is what I stated was an exception to his form rather than the norm. I probably should have spelled it out a bit more clearly for those who need a little help with such things.
    Thanks for fearing for my children though. It's cool being able to say such things on the internet. To continue the religious theme, God help anyone who would say it to my face.
    Nobody is denying it's been a frustrating year for him. I'm taking issue with your implication that he simply got lucky for a year in 2012 and was otherwise a **** forward.
    I didn't say he got lucky in 2012 and I didn't say he was a **** forward. I said 2012 was the exception (POTY contender) and that frustrating was and is his norm. Just because he is frustrating doesn't mean he is ****. There's a reason he frustrates so many and it's not because people think he's useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

The irony of mocking "saying things on the internet" and then following it up with a veiled threat of violence. Nice.

Sorry to interrupt your bashing of people who have done nothing but sacrifice for the county and help bring championships back to the area. Yes, what frustration that brings about. Carry on.

Sorry to interrupt your bashing of people who have done nothing but sacrifice for the county and help bring championships back to the area. Yes, what frustration that brings about. Carry on.
    I give up. If you can't understand the difference between saying someone is frustrating and actually bashing them, there's not much more I can do help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

eddie73 wrote: »
    McFadden has been a fab servant for the county. I think he is having a stinker of a season though. I have been to most of the league games, and all the championship games, he just is not doing the business.

The question is should he be given another chance to hit form in the game v dublin, or should he just be allowed to play on the merit of his service over the years. The reality is that he probably deserves the run, and most of us on the forums are not in a situation to be critical in the first place, because we are either not near his standard, or have never even played football in the first instance!

I am all on for him starting against dublin. You never know, he might click, even if it were for a few frees, that would be sufficient. Hopefully he will get the credit he deserves at the end of the year, there is no point in looking at 2012 and thinking that that is where it should be at year in year out. That is simply unreasonable.

Spot on Eddie. Not sure that I agree that he should start against Dublin, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start.

Anyway, I dunno why people are still talking about Colm when Mark McHugh is returning from Murica next week. A welcome distraction for the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Spot on Eddie. Not sure that I agree that he should start against Dublin, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start.

Anyway, I dunno why people are still talking about Colm when Mark McHugh is returning from Murica next week. A welcome distraction for the next three weeks.

Any truth in the rumour that Jim is picking him up at the airport?

Any truth in the rumour that Jim is picking him up at the airport?

Every truth.

• Advertisement

In case it matters to anyone, Joe McQuillan has been confirmed as the ref for the Dublin v Donegal All Ireland Semi Final on 31 August.

Didn't he ref a game of ours recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

ah at least it's not Marty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

In case it matters to anyone, Joe McQuillan has been confirmed as the ref for the Dublin v Donegal All Ireland Semi Final on 31 August.

Oh dear sweet suffering Jesus the man hates us. Whatever chance we had is diminishing fast

He gave Armagh everything on Saturday. Maybe once he looks at the game he'll think he owes us !!!! :-)

Mcquillan was poor on Saturday. That being said my default position in these situations is:

1: Is it Duffy?

If no, rejoice and be happy.

Armagh fans reckon Joe gave them nothing cos he is from Cavan.

Poor Joe just can't win.

Poor Joe just can't win.

Well he is from Cavan after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Thought mcquillan was alright at the weekend. Absolute mess of a game to referee and it wasn't his fault.

He reffed us last year in the quarter versus Mayo and in the Ulster final in 2012 so nothing controversial in any of those games.

Thought mcquillan was alright at the weekend. Absolute mess of a game to referee and it wasn't his fault.

He reffed us last year in the quarter versus Mayo and in the Ulster final in 2012 so nothing controversial in any of those games.

He could have put his foot down quite early own and stopped all that palava from that lot and he didn't.

And I agree he was fine in most games but I thought he was poor last week and let a lot go. The majority committed by orangemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

K-9 wrote: »
    A 2 trick pony will be next.

Massively important and critical, we were given the two tricks and all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The story of Donegal and Armagh’s battle in possession, shots, turnovers and kickouts via TheScore.ie http://jrnl.ie/1614978

Looking at this Murphy had six shots from dead balls and McFadden had three the second highest for Donegal.

McFadden took a couple of handy frees though Murphy took the distance ones

Not bad analysis I hope they keep it up.

As a neutral I thought this was a decent contest, I didn't think the ref was unfair or that one side was on the bsllance "dirtier" than the other.

Looking at the shots from play if correct McBrearty had 5 scored two, 40% success, not great imho considering the praise he got.

J Clarke had 2 and scored 0, 0% success, he was so well marked, it was great to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Stoner wrote: »
    The story of Donegal and Armagh’s battle in possession, shots, turnovers and kickouts via TheScore.ie http://jrnl.ie/1614978

Looking at this Murphy had six shots from dead balls and McFadden had three the second highest for Donegal.

As a neutral I thought this was a decent contest, I didn't think the ref was unfair or that one side was on the bsllance "dirtier" than the other.

Looking at the shots from play if correct McBrearty had 5 scored two, 40% success, not great imho considering the praise he got.

J Clarke had 2 and scored 0, 0% success, he was so well marked, it was great to see it.

That analysis is by @dontfoul on Twitter (I know it is credited in the article). He has been doing this analysis a while now for games and it is fantastic

Stoner wrote: »

Old news....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91664991&postcount=1145

:p

Yes, McBrearty's overall returns were poor. He gets the plaudits because he kicked the winning score, but to borrow a phrase from someone else in the thread, he is a 'frustrating' player at times. As well as the wides, he was also beaten to a ball in the second half by Andy Mallon, a player 10 years older than him. No harm to Paddy, but most of the hype for him comes from outside the county. Only fair to mention that he only turned 21.

MacNiallais's return was poor also. Masked by the goal of course but statsically he needs to do better.

Clarke's first wide was a poor enough effort. He was on the run and heading away from goal, so I guess he was under pressure, but from a player of his class it was sub-par.

Everyone should also read dontfoul's review of Dublin v Monaghan - it strays into a mini preview of Dublin v Donegal. The template for victory is clear. Achieving it is another matter altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

He could have put his foot down quite early own and stopped all that palava from that lot and he didn't.

And I agree he was fine in most games but I thought he was poor last week and let a lot go. The majority committed by orangemen.
    And what was the last free to Armagh for?

harpsman wrote: »

Yeah maybe I'm missing on some unknown rule here.
    Paddy (a sub at this stage) kicked the ball away that had went out for a sideline.
    McQuillan moves it up for a free on the 45.

Genuinely, is that the right call?
    Following football for a long time and can honestly never remember of the top of my head a sideline being moved up for a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

For kicking the ball away to try and delay Armagh taking the sideline kick. It was the correct call. The rule is to move the free 13m forward from where the ball crossed the line.
    That said, things like that happen a lot in games and don't get punished!
    Rules are here - it's rule 4.18 on page 64.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    For kicking the ball away to try and delay Armagh taking the sideline kick. It was the correct call. The rule is to move the free 13m forward from where the ball crossed the line.

Pretty clearcut there :-) Paddy you lucky boy!!!
    However, as you allude to, I can honestly never remember seeing that rule being implemented.
    Will probably notice it all the time now.

He also gave one near the end for (what looked to me like) a good tackle.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    SM746 wrote: »
    Pretty clearcut there :-) Paddy you lucky boy!!!
    However, as you allude to, I can honestly never remember seeing that rule being implemented.
    Will probably notice it all the time now.
    Even though it seems fairly obvious now, I didn't think that rule applied to sidelines for some reason.

Now that people know it also applies to a sideline ball, it will be like the way everyone who I seem to end up sitting beside now shouts "BLACK CARD REF, IF THATS NOT A BLACK CARD, I DONT KNOW WHAT IS" (hint: you don't actually know what is) every time a foul is given. "MOVE IT FORWARD 13M REF, HE KICKED IT AWAY".

Of course, both of the above will be swiftly followed by a rummage through the programme and a "who the f...k is the ref today anyway, ah jaysus, its {insert any ref's name at all}":D

• Advertisement

We're being totally written off in every single source. Our players are not functioning and are past it.

Keep the coming!

Advertisement