Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think I remember a sideline kick moved forward in a game in the last year. Thought it strange at the time, the Indo might even have commented on it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We're being totally written off in every single source. Our players are not functioning and are past it.

Keep the coming!

It's exactly how we want it. Tyrone and Kerry did it before. Slightly different Dublin team this time though!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

We're being totally written off in every single source. Our players are not functioning and are past it.

Keep the coming!

Dublin are rubbish. Cluxton is over rated. MDMA is nothing but a gym monkey. BB is just a pretty face. All of the forwards are very selfish and they leave acres of space at the back. And oh yeah, Jim Gavin is a clown.

Donegal by 7.

Happy now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

K-9 wrote: »
    It's exactly how we want it. Tyrone and Kerry did it before. Slightly different Dublin team this time though!

Slightly different opponents too!!! (just to kick it off K-9) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Something you don't hear every day, Letterkenny Gaels getting a mention on BBC after English wins his medal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Something you don't hear every day, Letterkenny Gaels getting a mention on BBC after English wins his medal :D

They haven't look back since the boundaries got sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

St Eunans beat Burt in the SHC 1-08 to 1-05. Quite the shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

SM746 wrote: »
    St Eunans beat Burt in the SHC 1-08 to 1-05. Quite the shock

When was this game played? Was it the final?

When was this game played? Was it the final?

Mackas was played today in LK.
    Not a massive hurling man myself but I always remember growing up with the Burt/Setanta domination; is it still largely the same?

Mackas was played today in LK.
    Not a massive hurling man myself but I always remember growing up with the Burt/Setanta domination; is it still largely the same?

At senior level it would be, underage the dominant teams now would be Buncrana and Ballyshannon following. Was that the final today? What was the general opinion around the ground? Were Burt missing players?

• Advertisement

At senior level it would be, underage the dominant teams now would be Buncrana and Ballyshannon following. Was that the final today? What was the general opinion around the ground? Were Burt missing players?

Was not at the game it was just my father and Mum were at it. Pretty sure they are still in the round robin type structure that the county championship goes in. Pretty sure Burt are still top as far as I know with Setanta 2nd?
    Ballyshannon really? Great to see it moving away from the Burt / Setanta domination if that is the case, hopefully they can carry it up to Senior Level.
    I remember Four Masters making good underage progree when I was young but I dont think anything major came of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Are Aodh Rua called Ballyshannon in the hurling?

Was not at the game it was just my father and Mum were at it. Pretty sure they are still in the round robin type structure that the county championship goes in. Pretty sure Burt are still top as far as I know with Setanta 2nd?
    Ballyshannon really? Great to see it moving away from the Burt / Setanta domination if that is the case, hopefully they can carry it up to Senior Level.
    I remember Four Masters making good underage progree when I was young but I dont think anything major came of it.

Yeah I think buncrana are kind of running away with it in all age groups except for minors.

Yeah I'd like to see hurling played throughout the county. But the football hierarchy in ye county would have heads roll

Yeah I think buncrana are kind of running away with it in all age groups except for minors.

Yeah I'd like to see hurling played throughout the county. But the football hierarchy in ye county would have heads roll

Yeah like I said not a hurling player/club myself but a game I thoroughly enjoy watching, even the odd club game I would catch at home once every blue moon. Be great to see it make more inroads but I suppose the wider national picture has to be looked at. Every so often we produce a football team that competes in Ulster and has a chance of doing well in the AI series; in hurling we will never compete at the top table and would you think this distorts peoples opinions of the game at home?

Redsoxfan wrote: »

I hope your not being pedantic :-) :-) :-) :-)

Is your name RedSoxfan on your birth cert? :-)

Yeah like I said not a hurling player/club myself but a game I thoroughly enjoy watching, even the odd club game I would catch at home once every blue moon. Be great to see it make more inroads but I suppose the wider national picture has to be looked at. Every so often we produce a football team that competes in Ulster and has a chance of doing well in the AI series; in hurling we will never compete at the top table and would you think this distorts peoples opinions of the game at home?

Ah of course it doesn't mean it has to be ignored as part of our games. "Hurling people" have received harsh treatment from the county board through the years. It has changed slightly now but it wasn't always that way.

I understand why people have the opinion they have on hurling in donegal, I just don't agree with it. I think great dual players are admirable like Aidan Walsh for example. Was always a dream of mine to play dual for my county. Managed to do each at different ages but never both at the same time.

It won't happen now as I live farther afield, due to work commitments.

SM746 wrote:
    I hope your not being pedantic :-) :-) :-) :-)

You sound surprised...

Is your name RedSoxfan on your birth cert? :-)

No, it's Pat..

Ronan McLaughlin is the only dual player of any note I recall. Even then, I don't think he made much of an impact in Senior Football, was more at underage level if I recall correctly at all?

The rise of Aodh Rua hurling seems to have coincided with the decline of their footballers although this year's minor captain is Aodh Rua (via South Africa)

• Advertisement

Rónán McLaughlin is the only dual player of any note I recall. Even then, I don't think he made much of an impact in Senior Football, was more at underage level if I recall correctly at all?

The rise of Aodh Rua hurling seems to have coincided with the decline of their footballers although this year's minor captain is Aodh Rua (via South Africa)

Ronan McLaughlin from Burt is it? I don't recall him making any impact at senior level in the football at all.

Random bit of info since we are on the subject of dual players. A few colleagues of mine from the kingdom are convinced that Paul Galvin was a better hurler than he was a footballer.

Ronan McLaughlin from Burt is it? I don't recall him making any impact at senior level in the football at all.

Random bit of info since we are on the subject of dual players. A few colleagues of mine from the kingdom are convinced that Paul Galvin was a better hurler than he was a footballer.

There was talk of Galvin trying the hurling a few years ago and when he retired but nothing came of it that I know of. Heard he was decent alright but didn't know he was rated that highly to be honest.

There was talk of Galvin trying the hurling a few years ago and when he retired but nothing came of it that I know of. Heard he was decent alright but didn't know he was rated that highly to be honest.

Aye apparently he was very good. Was he better than he was a footballer? I doubt it but I never saw him hurl.

Galvin still plays hurling for his club as far as I know.

That's the one. Think he was part of the Senior football panel, may have even played a few minutes championship but I could be imagining it.

Speaking of Burt, did Paul Callaghan play hurling at all?

That's the one. Think he was part of the Senior football panel, may have even played a few minutes championship but I could be imagining it.

Speaking of Burt, did Paul Callaghan play hurling at all?

Not that I know of, although he's well before my time, I'm sure he did play underage, don't remember hearing anything about him at senior level though.

He taught hurling at summer camps and actually I think he was on a scheme at one time teaching hurling around national schools, so he may well have made a donegal hurling panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dublin are rubbish. Cluxton is over rated. MDMA is nothing but a gym monkey. BB is just a pretty face. All of the forwards are very selfish and they leave acres of space at the back. And oh yeah, Jim Gavin is a clown.

Donegal by 7.

Happy now? :D

There are one or two posts sayin pretty much all this in this thread-apart from the Brogan pretty face bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

They say the same about bernard brogan and diarmuid connolly-any chance they ll switch before the 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    There are one or two posts sayin pretty much all this in this thread-apart from the Brogan pretty face bit

Nobody has said Dublin are rubbish. Lets have it right. They are a seriously good outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

harpsman wrote: »
    They say the same about bernard brogan and diarmuid connolly-any chance they ll switch before the 31st?

Don't know much about Bernards hurling skills but Connolly played U21 hurling for Dublin

Advertisement