Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Nobody has said Dublin are rubbish. Lets have it right. They are a seriously good outfit.
    A seriously good outfit apart from those you don't actually rate as a footballer and those you think don't have the basic skills that ten year olds have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

A seriously good outfit apart from those you don't actually rate as a footballer and those you think don't have the basic skills that ten year olds have?

Boohoo. You'll find endless praise from any other media source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

You're referring to McAuley who I have said on numerous occasions is a major part of their team and seriously effective. We have better footballers in the middle and I hope we try and make the most of them.

What is the issue with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

So anyway.... On Donegal gaa....
    colm mcfadden sent off in the first half v four masters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You're referring to McAuley who I have said on numerous occasions is a major part of their team and seriously effective. We have better footballers in the middle and I hope we try and make the most of them.

What is the issue with that?

I've no issue with that. Wouldn't agree but no issue. Calling a player a donkey though.....

I'm happy with our midfielders tbh. The donkey who can't solo and the one who does everything brilliantly but you don't rate.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    I've no issue with that. Wouldn't agree but no issue. Calling a player a donkey though.....

I'm happy with our midfielders tbh. The donkey who can't solo and the one who does everything brilliantly but you don't rate.

I've heard better players called a lot worse!

overshoot wrote: »
    So anyway.... On Donegal gaa....
    colm mcfadden sent off in the first half v four masters

Maith Thu Colm!

Maybe his recent form (or lack of) is an elaborate rouse concocted by the McGuinnes/McFadden clan over the Christmas dinner.

He might surprise us yet Sunday two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

corny wrote: »

Id probably call MDMA more of a horse of a footballer-I dont mean that as an insult; he is brutally effective on those runs, and if he had a bit of vision/ less greed he would be devestating-just hope he doesnt start doin it the next day.

Maith Thu Colm!

Maybe his recent form (or lack of) is an elaborate rouse concocted by the McGuinnes/McFadden clan over the Christmas dinner.

He might surprise us yet Sunday two weeks.
    I wouldnt start him-I dont think he has 70 minutes in him and Id imagine our game plan will be to keep it tight in first half and maybe open up a bit in the 2nd half-I think he would be more effective if he was coming on fresh for the last 25 minutes, probably in place of Christy with some rearrangement.

EICVD wrote: »
    Don't know much about Bernards hurling skills but Connolly played U21 hurling for Dublin
    I know somebody who coaches at Plunketts and says hes a brilliant hurler.

• Advertisement

Nobody has said Dublin are rubbish. Lets have it right. They are a seriously good outfit.
    Fair enough-I think Id probably rate them bit higher than you but I hope you have the last laugh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

One thing I am thinking - we have stopped playing to Colm's strengths. He was never the best at winning ball kicked up to him, in recent years he has thrived on being fed ball closer to hand. The fact that we are playing Michael so deep also means that he is being paid more attention.

I really don't know. It is very late in the year to drop him and suddenly move Michael to the edge of the square for 70 minutes. You also lose a proven left footed free taker. While Paddy and maybe even MacNiallais could do the job, asking them to do it kicking into The Hill having not been asked to do it at this level previously is a big ask.

As ever, in Jim (McGuinness) we trust.

Stoner wrote: »
    The story of Donegal and Armagh’s battle in possession, shots, turnovers and kickouts via TheScore.ie http://jrnl.ie/1614978

As a neutral I thought this was a decent contest, I didn't think the ref was unfair or that one side was on the bsllance "dirtier" than the other.
    You seen this photo? Wouldnt have too many problems with the ref, though I felt he was a bit weak and was not going to send off an Armagh player no matter what they did. This is violent conduct as was throwing the team doctor to the ground. A finer examle of 2 cowardly bullies you wont find.
    ?ui=2&ik=cbe96f9fac&view=fimg&th=147e1600872bf504&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9X7a6OpID3Yhl4zpQ7Jl8zR6Q6hOcpQUgM3bmX--dirbTdIpaKy7MEO4QNZKYuKj4nc0OzQHUzDksmyl23B3lCH4fxFc-duJNbhImacjLDSwWRpfDHXBl-k_Y&ats=1408306085184&rm=147e1600872bf504&zw&sz=w1238-h519

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    One thing I am thinking - we have stopped playing to Colm's strengths. He was never the best at winning ball kicked up to him, in recent years he has thrived on being fed ball closer to hand. The fact that we are playing Michael so deep also means that he is being paid more attention.

I really don't know. It is very late in the year to drop him and suddenly move Michael to the edge of the square for 70 minutes. You also lose a proven left footed free taker. While Paddy and maybe even MacNiallais could do the job, asking them to do it kicking into The Hill having not been asked to do it at this level previously is a big ask.

Personally Id take my chances w Paddy takin the frees from RHS. Like I say I think he could make a contribution off the bench if and when we're chasing scores in 2nd half.

harpsman wrote: »
    Fair enough-I think Id probably rate them bit higher than you but I hope you have the last laugh:rolleyes:

They are a serious outfit and play superb football. There's no underestimating how good they are on my part, they're the current all ireland champions and favourites to do it back to back!

We're playing them in a few weeks and you try to pick holes and see where they might be vulnerable or where we can handle them.

I think we can handle them in certain areas. I really do.

It's a good point, Murphy is playing wanderly wagon a lot more now and he's ploughing a lone furrow at times. Now to be fair, he did so at various stages over the past 4 years but he was never as isolated as this year, in my mind anyway.

It's a conundrum. I remember Jim saying during the league a few years back that he'd play him even when he was having a shocker (during the league or something along those lines) as it would harm him confidence wise come championship.

This is **** or bust time for us now and a decision needs to be made. He's had a terrible year and it's not without effort on his part. Can McBrearty step up? Doubtful. There's nobody else who you can trust at this stage in the day.

No matter how bad he is going, there are more pro's than cons for him over the rest of them.The frees are an important point too.

The really irritating thing is, a functioning McFadden would give us a much greater chance of getting into the final.

I've thought about it too, and I think we need to play 3 inside for this and bring an extra body into the middle. McFadden will have to start, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The fact that he appears to thrive on confidence as well as my doubts about how effective he would be as an impact sub would mean that despite my frustrations with him, I'd still start him. Due to a serious lack of game time given to his possible replacement since January, I also don't think there's anyone who can replace him at this point in time.
    I'm hoping that coming up against less aggressive markers may also give him a little more time and space.

The fact that he appears to thrive on confidence as well as my doubts about how effective he would be as an impact sub would mean that despite my frustrations with him, I'd still start him. Due to a serious lack of game time given to his possible replacement since January, I also don't think there's anyone who can replace him at this point in time.
    I'm hoping that coming up against less aggressive markers may also give him a little more time and space.

I'll be shocked if Gavin hasn't already decided to have him tied up as soon as the ball is thrown in to get at him.

Again, decides if we are leaving the 3 of the inside which is somewhat of a rarity.

You can't say it isn't utterly fascinating anyway. So many sub-plots and side issues!

Well i agree that he might get a bit more space against Dublin than he did against the Ulster teams who really would have targeted him for close attention.

Anyway I think its moot as theres no way hes going to be dropped.

Id be surprised if Kavanagh doesnt start- he looked pretty sharp the last day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou3evvVRN00

Interview with Jim.

For a man who had retired I seem to come across Charlie Collins about twice a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

big result for naomh columba minors yesterday evening, who beat Kilcar by 2:9 to 3 points, means a third game for the neighbours as kilcar won first game.. great crowd at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

big result for naomh columba minors yesterday evening, who beat Kilcar by 2:9 to 3 points, means a third game for the neighbours as kilcar won first game.. great crowd at it.

Stephen McBrearty off injured for Kilcar - hopefully not serious.

Stephen McBrearty off injured for Kilcar - hopefully not serious.

I had it in my head that the minor championship had been postponed for some reason. Was Declan trying to get it called off?

Ballyshannon v Glenties going to a third game. No word on any injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Just for anyone who is intetested;
    An audience with Jim in the Harcourt Hotel this Friday at 8pm! I know nothing too revealing will be forthcoming but its a fundraiser for the training fund so I'm sure every penny will be appreciated!
    I've heard Murphy and a few other players there too but I've no idea if that part is true as of yet.

And there is a golf classic on the 30th in Lisheen Springs to try raise funds too!

Just thought some of you, especially if your eastern based like myself, might be intetested!

SM746 wrote: »
    Just for anyone who is intetested;
    An audience with Jim in the Harcourt Hotel this Friday at 8pm! I know nothing too revealing will be forthcoming but its a fundraiser for the training fund so I'm sure every penny will be appreciated!
    I've heard Murphy and a few other players there too but I've no idea if that part is true as of yet.

And there is a golf classic on the 30th in Lisheen Springs to try raise funds too!

Just thought some of you, especially if your eastern based like myself, might be intetested!
    Defo up for that-where can i get tkts?

Also any other info on golf outing?

Thx

Thx

Tickets on door for Harcourt Hotel.

Ill double check on the golf outing and get back to you as I fekn deleted the email I got

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Thx

There's info on the donegalgaa website, i can't post links properly

donegalgaa.ie/2014/08/donegal-gaa-golf-classic-in-dublin/

There's info on the donegalgaa website, i can't post links properly

donegalgaa.ie/2014/08/donegal-gaa-golf-classic-in-dublin/

Thanks A H.
    And according to that website Murphy and Lacey will be tagging along with Jim.

SM746 wrote: »
    Thanks A H.
    And according to that website Murphy and Lacey will be tagging along with Jim.

Was speakin to one of organisers earlier. 3 boys an possibly one or two others. The great jimmy magee mcing. Kos at 8 but best get there early for good seat. Tenner contribution at door.

Ps any golfers out there? Tryin to put a team together for the classic next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

harpsman I'd definitely have been on for this only I'm being treated to a round in Mount Juliet that day - much as I love Jim and the boys I don't think I'll be giving that one up! :)

• Advertisement

Anyone going to this tonight? On route now; hopefully it raises a few pound

Advertisement