Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Was planning on going but not in Dublin. Back home in Donegal for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

SM746 wrote: »
    Anyone going to this tonight? On route now; hopefully it raises a few pound

Just arrived. Was first here!! Im in green jumper. Say hello if u about!!

harpsman wrote: »
    Just arrived. Was first here!! Im in green jumper. Say hello if u about!!

Great night. Jim michael and paul stuck around late and patiently spoke and took photos with everyone. True gents. No matter what happens next week theyve given us a great few years. Q&A tame enough obviously. Also got to meet my hero jimmy magee. SM owe you a pint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Great night. Jim michael and paul stuck around late and patiently spoke and took photos with everyone. True gents. No matter what happens next week theyve given us a great few years. Q&A tame enough obviously. Also got to meet my hero jimmy magee. SM owe you a pint!!

Was Jimmy drawn about his future at all?

Was Jimmy drawn about his future at all?

Na. Only 2 slightly controversial questions- one about Colm A(Jim said hed like all his forwards to be scoring more) and one about neutrals supporting Dublin(he kinda said nothin to this).

Someone asked whether theyd be pushing up on kick outs and he laughed and said they were strayin into tactics!!

• Advertisement

Na. Only 2 slightly controversial questions- one about Colm A(Jim said hed like all his forwards to be scoring more) and one about neutrals supporting Dublin(he kinda said nothin to this).

Someone asked whether theyd be pushing up on kick outs and he laughed and said they were strayin into tactics!!

Ha! If you don't ask you don't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

+1! was a great night overall; much better than the previous Dgl night in 2012! Not much given away but thoroughly enjoyable all the same!
    Harpsman I do not want to see the sight of another pint for a long, long time!!!

306 M for Sunday. Thought the ST might get moved over with Dublin playing in it but thankfully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

305G. We'll get wet. I know one Dub ST holder who is behind me in 305DD.

I'm feeling good about Sunday boys.

At the very least I really think our lads are going to give us one hell of a performance. They may not win, but it won't be for want of trying and I believe they will put every single thing they have into this one given the opposition. If it is to be the end, it will be a fitting one.

We haven't been given a prayer, JMG will be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I think all the hype about the Mayo V Kerry replay to be in Donegals favour. The medias attention has been drawn away from Donegal & their analysis of possible plans to stop Dublin. Still think its a big ask, Dublin better than 2011 & Donegal not as good as 2012 ?. I will travel more in hope than expectation but its been one hell of a 4 years. Donegal V Dublin in Clones ?, now thats one I'd love to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yeah am really looking forward to the day out. The minors have a real chance if they can produce the form they showed in the first half of the final so I'm really optimistic there. On the seniors, as above, it's a massive task when you look at the cold hard facts this season. However we know Jim will have a plan and he has a fully fit squad with a perfect opportunity for preparation, unlike last year. So I think everything that could be right for the game, is right, and the lads will give it everything they have so in that sense I'm really optimistic we can rattle the Dubs. My big concern remains our scoring threat - we would need to put up a score of around 18-20 points on Sunday and I'm not confident we have that in us but whatever happens it's going to be a great day out and one to savour. Now I'm off to pray for a start like we got against Mayo in 2012! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Now I'm off to pray for a start like we got against Mayo in 2012! :D
    You know I was thinking about that I'd imagine that that could very well be the case. It would make for an interesting game as this Dublin team does not panic. Donegal flying for twenty minutes and then changing into a turtle with one forward getting an occasional score, looking for frees could very well happen and work.

Stoner wrote: »
    You know I was thinking about that I'd imagine that that could very well be the case. It would make for an interesting game as this Dublin team does not panic. Donegal flying for twenty minutes and then changing into a turtle with one forward getting an occasional score, looking for frees could very well happen and work.

Never heard that before. Very good actually.

so what team do you want to see on Sunday?

Kavanagh in for Toye is the only likely change for me. Think this would give us a bit of better balance with McElhinney and Toye to come off the bench if the game is still close in the second half.

I think we're as well sticking with McFadden at this stage in the hope that he can do something. He's not the kind of player that I'd see making much impact from the bench anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Kavanagh in for Toye is the only likely change for me. Think this would give us a bit of better balance with McElhinney and Toye to come off the bench if the game is still close in the second half.

I think we're as well sticking with McFadden at this stage in the hope that he can do something. He's not the kind of player that I'd see making much impact from the bench anyway.

I think your right about McFadden, have to hope things go right for him on the day. Toye has looked a bit jaded at times this year.

I'd go along with all that. The only possible wild card I could see Jim going with would be to leave Paddy on the bench and put in Jigger. I think Jigger in the open spaces of Croker could be a very dangerous opponent, especially if left in near goals. Also Paddy still doesn't perform as well when starting as when coming on. It would be a big call but I think Jim will spring one surprise in his team and this one would make sense to me (if Jigger is going well in training of course!).

Big Neil Rory Kav McElhinney Murphy

McNiallis Leo McHugh

McFadden

;)

Probably something more like this Nidge :P
    Durcan
    Eamon Neil Paddy McG
    Ryan
    Frank Odhran Karl Leo Anthony
    Big Neil Kav McElhinney
    Murphy

Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Big Neil Rory Kav McElhinney Murphy

McNiallis Leo McHugh

McFadden

;)

I'd prefer the 2011 formation of

Ryan
    Leo Neil Rory Martin Michael Odhran

Colm Anthony

Probably something more like this Nidge :P
    Durcan
    Eamon Neil Paddy McG
    Ryan
    Frank Odhran Karl Leo Anthony
    Big Neil Kav McElhinney
    Murphy

Colm

For the craic alone it'd be worth it. :D

"Welcome back to the Sunday game apologies for the smoke Pat Spillane has self combusted. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

For the craic alone it'd be worth it. :D

"Welcome back to the Sunday game apologies for the smoke Pat Spillane has self combusted. "

If we were to adopt this approach and win the fallout would be hilarious. We could declare ourselves an independent republic by Wednesday.

If we were to adopt this approach and win the fallout would be hilarious. We could declare ourselves an independent republic by Wednesday.

Sure haven't we been wanting to do that for years anyway. Perfect excuse!.

I'd go along with all that. The only possible wild card I could see Jim going with would be to leave Paddy on the bench and put in Jigger. I think Jigger in the open spaces of Croker could be a very dangerous opponent, especially if left in near goals. Also Paddy still doesn't perform as well when starting as when coming on. It would be a big call but I think Jim will spring one surprise in his team and this one would make sense to me (if Jigger is going well in training of course!).

I'm not sure if Jigger is good enough yet. He's only really played one good game for the county and that was against Antrim.

For all their issues with form this year, I think Paddy and Colm are a class above the other forwards on the panel and the only way we'll win is if they play near their best.

I'm not sure if Jigger is good enough yet. He's only really played one good game for the county and that was against Antrim.

For all their issues with form this year, I think Paddy and Colm are a class above the other forwards on the panel and the only way we'll win is if they play near their best.
    Agreed. Jigger bit raw yet,although Im sure he ll be thrown in at some stage hopefully when theres still something to play for.

As Ive said before Id like to see Colm play the last 25 minutes fresh when the game is opening up a bit-as it will if our expected plan of keeping it tight and as close to Dublin as possible for 50 minutes. Basically the same as what Mayo are doing with Moran-remember he was Mayos talisman a couple of years ago as well. But its probably not going to happen.

Taking that into account i think it will be:

Durks

Paddy, Neil, Emon
    Karl, Anthony, Frank
    Ryan
    Neil, Rory, Odhran
    Michael, Leo,
    Paddy, Colm

Christy, Jigger and Brick coming on in 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I doubt we'll see Brick on the pitch other than during the warm up or unless we are out of sight with a few minutes to go. So very unlikely. Very.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see Brick on the pitch other than during the warm up or unless we are out of sight with a few minutes to go. So very unlikely. Very.
    Whats the story there?

Mate has Spare Upper Hogan 729 ticket (40e). Beside 11 other Dgl people. PM me if interested

• Advertisement

Feel sick.

Best of luck to both our teams.

Advertisement