Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

BRILLIANT!

First ever minor final. What a performance. Stephen McBrearty exceptional!

One down, one to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One down, one to go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

BRILLIANT!

First ever minor final. What a performance. Stephen McBrearty exceptional!

One down, one to go.

Congratulations on the first final, great to see the under-age structures developing more in Donegal. Kerry and Donegal are both two nice minor teams, as a Kerry man I'd say we may just shade it but you never know. Well done on beating Dublin anyway. Hopefully the seniors can defeat Dublin and Joe McQuillan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Sincere congratulations, you were by far the better team.

Good luck in the final. Great support here today also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yessssssssssss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,279 ✭✭✭✭muffler

muffler wrote: »
    One down, one to go :)
    Done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

Yeeeeeooowwwww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done and congratulations Donegal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭salonfire

Will Mark McHugh return for the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Congrats Donegal, what a fantastic bunch of players and management. This is a truly great Donegal team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

till in shock here, what an incredible performance, one of the best I've ever seen from a Donegal team. Dublin had no answers in the second half. Right, I'm off for a well deserved pint, will be in good form for weeks to come!

Words aren't forthcoming right now.

Ecstatic. Proud.

More to follow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

salonfire wrote: »
    Will Mark McHugh return for the final?

Very unfair on the rest if he does, couldn't. hack it when the chips were down so like Kevin Classidy it should only be guys with 100% total commitment at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Happy for Mcguiness and good to see Donegal play again properly. It will be an interesting final. Hard to call but considering yer manager, can't put it past Donegal taking it again. Enjoy the next few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭salonfire

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Very unfair on the rest if he does, couldn't. hack it when the chips were down so like Kevin Classidy it should only be guys with 100% total commitment at all times.

Yeah, it would be unfair but at the same time, he'd be a great asset to have in the team.

He is back in the country as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Did the donegal team not get the memo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

Holy hell what a set of performances.if cork was our best ever we blew it out of the water.
    Was within an inch of skipping it as my final college hand up is tomorrow, glad I didn't but its an all nighter now!
    Il have a good reflection in 2 days after some sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

Congratulations to donegal a great performance from a dissapointed though not totally shocked dublin fan
    the media hype was unreal when there was obviously little between thewm but in fact ye made it look easier than i expected
    enjoy the victory and good luck in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Just back in the door about 10 minutes ago and I'm still speechless. Wow, I was hoping we'd make it difficult for them but I really wasn't expecting that (despite what I thought was wasting €20 on the 6/1 available in Paddys).

Wow. I really wanna head for a few beers but an early start means I've to settle for re-watching the match instead.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Just back in the door about 10 minutes ago and I'm still speechless. Wow, I was hoping we'd make it difficult for them but I really wasn't expecting that (despite what I thought was wasting €20 on the 6/1 available in Paddys).

Wow. I really wanna head for a few beers but an early start means I've to settle for re-watching the match instead.

Wow.
    Same here.Some day-had a few after game then decided to come home and enjoy with wife and baby-have to give credit to SM who guaranteed me Donegal would win last week-I didnt see it myself but Im glad to be proven wrong-it doesnt happen very often!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done lads, I had ye at 7/1 to win it as I saw a major chance of a win. Dublin weren't tested and the game plan was superb.
    Good luck in final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

All I expected today was a contest for 70 minutes, with Donegal maybe winning by a point or two, but it ended up being the greatest game I've ever seen.

Donegal have endured so much criticism since McGuinness took over and I simply cannot be bothered with debates any longer - they were settled on the field today. It's impossible not to be proud of that squad of players. They've conjured magic from painstaking commitment. A football team to remember.

The only other thing to mention is the Dublin fans who shook my hand and wished us well in the final, despite my 70 minutes of screaming next to them. I only encountered graciousness from the Dublin supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

They're a good side, no question about it and very dangerous but I don't rate many of them as actual footballers.

michael darragh is a donkey of a footballer. A massive engine and hugely dynamic but he can just about solo a ball ffs. Don't rate o sullivan next to him either. This is an area where we should be looking to dominate especially with Big Neil and his ability. Their midfield pace and power is an issue obviously because Neil is cumbersome compared to that but we need to be cleaning up around the middle.

Their full back line is there to be got at and I don't know how it's going to happen but we need Colm to find some sort of form. I think we can hurt them with the quality of our players.

I'm happy with our back 6 individually. No concerns about any of them. Neil can can deal with Bernard Brogan, Lacey will be patrolling around Connolly anyway and he needs to be got because he is a brilliant footballer. You've flynn then who is, (bar JOD) the best forward in the country. Probably have Frank tracking him.

I think we can take them I really do. My worry is their half back line and them coming through us especially if we're conceding our half forwards to retreat back. We'll need to do something about that and stop the flow.

I know already that we can disrupt dublin and deny them space but if we can slow them down I honestly think they'll struggle.

We have no reason to fear them and as a county we don't generally . Probably due to 92 but there's no worry about the dubs generally up here. Some teams are beat before the tog out because it's Dublin in croke Park and that's a such a daunting proposition.

I trust Jim implicitly. We know how good our players are and what they can do. This won't phase then a bit.

I think we'll beat them. I really do.

Fair play,Got admire your post a few weeks ago.Spot on very brave post but defined by logic as proved today .
    I read it a while back thought of it when i heard the result today.
    Congratulations on both wins,tactical masterminded by two coaches,i wish my county could do the same.Best of luck in the final!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

All I can say is Mcguinness is a genius and that team are scary, they're almost like a cult. If jimmy told them that running down to Croker was going to benefit them they look like they'd do it. Total belief, commitment and no small amount of talent. Hope ye win it out lads as that display was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

All I can say is Mcguinness is a genius and that team are scary, they're almost like a cult. If jimmy told them that running down to Croker was going to benefit them they look like they'd do it. Total belief, commitment and no small amount of talent. Hope ye win it out lads as that display was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

salonfire wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be unfair but at the same time, he'd be a great asset to have in the team.

He is back in the country as far as I know

He was on the sideline with Ciarán Whelan before the match.

---

I was confident before the match thought we'd win by 4 or so. The first 15 minutes just showed that we could have blown DL away but once ye stopped packing the HB and FB lines and started coming out on us then you completely disrupted our flow.

We were lost out there with some of the ball you were playing.

Oddly, I'm not gutted at all at the result. I love it when a team come and play ball and don't hang around a la say Tyrone did in 05 and 08.

Cracking game. Great intensity. Great managing from Jim Mc. Graciousness personified from our team and fans. Ref was brilliant (and lord knows I've wanted to string McQuillan up over the years).

Absolutely the tonic we needed after yesterday's debacle.

Fair play to ye. And I'll (naturally) be supporting ye to the hilt come the Third Sunday. It does help that the missus is from Letterkenny mind.

Tír Connail abú!

We are 70 minutes away from another all Ireland.

What the **** is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

We are 70 minutes away from another all Ireland.

What the **** is going on.
    I can see Donegal winning it. McGuinness will implant that vision into the players mind. His preparation will be top class. Fitzmaurice also is a super manager. Close game but I think Donegal may do enough for victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just popping in to say a quick congrats to ye lot. Am utterly gutted about today, but ye lot were the best team on the day, no doubt about it. (Isn't it nice to be able to say that for a change, instead of always blaming the ref?)

I hope the hangovers & headaches aren't too bad tomorrow.*

Ath Cliath ABU !

* That may be a lie. :P

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just popping in to say a quick congrats to ye lot. Am utterly gutted about today, but ye lot were the best team on the day, no doubt about it. (Isn't it nice to be able to say that for a change, instead of always blaming the ref?)

I hope the hangovers & headaches aren't too bad tomorrow.*

Ath Cliath ABU !

* That may be a lie. :P

Fair play to you lad. As I keep saying you won't be waiting too long for your next all Ireland.

Advertisement