Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

mickeyk wrote: »
    Not sure what way fitzmaurice will play it but don't be surprised if Donaghy doesn't start the final. Pumping high balls on top of Donegals excellent defence will be pointless and fitzmaurice will know this. It would be extremely hard on Donaghy of course, who played a massive part on Saturday and in the first drawn game.

Donaghy to start as third midfielder alongside Moran and Maher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Timmyctc wrote: »
    What did Colm end up with scorewise yday?
    1-1 from play and 2 good frees. his overall play was good but if he was playing near his best he would have kicked another 3 points at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tom Joad wrote: »

No chance, doesn't have the legs, he'd be banjaxed in no time. He's on the edge of the square or nowhere. I don't think the final is the game for him.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If Donegal win it again this year Jim will have to go down as amongst the very, very greatest managers ever in the game even after such a short tenure in charge.

Pretty amazing stuff, who would have thought two weeks ago that Donegal would end up favourites for the All Ireland!?

Looking forward to a great day out, had a lot of fun with Donegal fans after the QF in 2012.
    Youre some chancer Keano-sure you ll probably turn up for the crack anyway.

We ll worry about Jims place in history when he retires. Youve a great manager yourself and a damn good team, so get up the yard with that guff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

mickeyk wrote: »
    No chance, doesn't have the legs, he'd be banjaxed in no time. He's on the edge of the square or nowhere. I don't think the final is the game for him.

Was only ever an average midfielder. And if Kerry are going down the third midfielder route they would be better served with a small pacey player to deal with the marauding Donegal half back line coming forward at pace. Donaghey would be blown apart in that sort of game.

Like you say it's edge of the square or nowhere. I think Donegal would be only too delighted to see Donaghy at the edge of the square. Unlike a lot of teams they can deal with that sort of situation easily enough. They'd be more worried by a Mayo or Dublin team that runs the ball from deep.

• Advertisement

I'd say Devenney's original predictions in hindsight looked pretty spot on . Although I caught a few mins of Off the ball on the radio on Friday and he all but retracted most of it .Probably kicking himself now tbf!

I think it's fair to say judging from his articles and commentary that Brolly is all but an honorary donegal man these days and he had written up the donegal/dublin meeting months ago with as usual some very insightfull analysis.He gets a hard time but imo opinion there isn't anyone out there with that same level of insighfullnes. He looked imo a bit imotional after the game yesterday like he was really relieved we'd won.
    Eh?? he was on the radio earlier in the year talkin about how much the Donegal players hated playin McGuinness football. Said he had it on first hand!!

Now in fairness he does give an insight that alot of em dont and is intersting to listen to, but he lacks the emotional maturity to be taken too seriously-sure he was kissin Jim Gavins ass all year and bangin on about 5 in a row

I'm just about to re-watch it. But Spillane has already wound me up with his comments about the game on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing that 15-20min change.
    You have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tom Joad wrote: »

Isn't Buckley the man to play as the third midfielder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

harpsman wrote: »
    Youre some chancer Keano-sure you ll probably turn up for the crack anyway.

We ll worry about Jims place in history when he retires. Youve a great manager yourself and a damn good team, so get up the yard with that guff:D

You'll have to put up with me praising ye over the next few weeks I'm afraid, I've always been a fan!

Two very good teams in the final and two very good management set ups I agree, it will bad an intriguing game. I suspect it won't be a classic as realistically Kerry are as defensive as anyone but it should be a nail biter.

Great test for Fitzmaurice, he's passed them all so far and up against Jim is the ultimate.

I think we shouldn't be as big underdogs as we are.

Ah just his usual "Kerry is the bastion of all that is glorious about football".

Completely neglected to talk about the ref or Mayo. I've the match paused while I listen to Off The Ball.
    Ahh-yes he really is an insufferable moron-i think he ll be gone soon because he would make alot of people switch to Sky now that thers competition.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Isn't Buckley the man to play as the third midfielder?

Buckley will be under pressure with Darran, Declan, Sheehan and O'Brien all prob fit. He faded last week and didn't have a great game Saturday. Might still play but not nailed on I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

realweirdo wrote: »
    Vomit inducing if he said that. Kerry are no different in some respects to any team in the modern era. At many stages of the game they had 10 or 12 men behind the ball like the best of the Northern teams. As for lumping it into the big man, it may be caveman football but it seems to work for them to a point. That point being when they come up against a manager who has half decent tactics, which Donegal will have.

I'm all for resorting to something else when the plan A doesn't work and Lord knows I would have loved us to do something about that yesterday but it is pure shoite to watch.
    I'm not convinced he'll start the final at all, but not to drag the Donegal thread all akimbo the main point is Pat Spillane is a troll and hopefully people won't associate his opinions with the rest of us.

I think donegal's style of play is great to watch fwiw

Don't be worrying. Anyone who knows 'ball knows Spillane is a spoofer. He was also saying stuff like "a great forward should be scoring, you can't be a great forward without scoring". That's not the be all and end all of forward play nowadays. It's like a cliché, machine. Constantly talking about dublin being athletic and not "natural" footballers. It's mental stuff.

The problem with Spillane is that he's on the Panel. It's infinitely better without him. In fairness to Colm O'Rourke, he called him on some stuff.

And as for yourself liking the Donegal style, it's hard not to like it. :)

You're one of the few Kerry boys on here that I actually don't mind reading what ya have to say to be honest. I usually bristle like a hedgehog when I come near any of ye mind!
    Ah now I think thats unfair on the lad-hes only 24 and hes given a huge amount to Donegal football already-i saw him play in the league and not only was he playing poorly but you could tell he was out of sorts mentally-the amount that these lads have to put in is superhuman for amateurs- you cant just skip a training session when youre not in the mood.

He also had college finals i think, so i think he made a brave decision to just walk away for a while when he wasnt physically or mentally able to give 100%.

BTW I would have thought there's absolute zero chance of him being called in for final.

There is zero chance. He said as much on RTÉ on Sunday pre-match. He said that he could be back in the New Year.

Ominous for us if both McHughs are in that side!

Buckley will be under pressure with Darran, Declan, Sheehan and O'Brien all prob fit. He faded last week and didn't have a great game Saturday. Might still play but not nailed on I think.

I need to watch the games back again, but looks like he gets through a lot of work, more in the Donegal half forward role, hits hard.

But I defer to you on this.

Would Darran really be fit enough to start?

You'll have to put up with me praising ye over the next few weeks I'm afraid, I've always been a fan!

Two very good teams in the final and two very good management set ups I agree, it will bad an intriguing game. I suspect it won't be a classic as realistically Kerry are as defensive as anyone but it should be a nail biter.

Great test for Fitzmaurice, he's passed them all so far and up against Jim is the ultimate.

I think we shouldn't be as big underdogs as we are.

Ah now, this isn't Mayo or Cork you are facing. The Northern Teams don't get psyched out, they don't buy into the hype. You will be sure Donegal will be in lockdown for the week before the final. No TV, no radio, no newspapers, there could be a nuclear war somewhere and the Donegal team won't know about it. The auld hype up the Kerry opponents craic won't work. Grasping at straws really.

You have a link?

Here ya go bucko.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10319125/

Ah now, this isn't Mayo or Cork you are facing. The Northern Teams don't get psyched out, they don't buy into the hype. You will be sure Donegal will be in lockdown for the week before the final. No TV, no radio, no newspapers, there could be a nuclear war somewhere and the Donegal team won't know about it. The auld hype up the Kerry opponents craic won't work. Grasping at straws really.

I've been posting in this thread for a long time my friend. The people who didn't turn up in the last ten minutes know I call things as I see them.

I'm all for resorting to something else when the plan A doesn't work and Lord knows I would have loved us to do something about that yesterday but it is pure shoite to watch.

Indeed. It's basically basketball. Donaghy using his big arse to shove the full back out of the way. One dimensional. Most big counties figured out how to deal with it years ago which is why Kerry haven't won AIs since 2009. If Donegal can sort it out and have a plan for it, the AI is their's pretty much. I don't want to condemn Horan for not having a plan for it because he was a great manager in many ways, but sometimes the little things got away from him.

Unless you have a 15 stone 6"3 plus full back or someone in that mould, with similar sized sweeper on front, Donaghy will boss things.

I've been posting in this thread for a long time my friend. The people who didn't turn up in the last ten minutes know I call things as I see them.

Only 2 months...

... and 12,600 posts between us! :)

I need to watch the games back again, but looks like he gets through a lot of work, more in the Donegal half forward role, hits hard.

But I defer to you on this.

Would Darran really be fit enough to start?

You're not wrong in terms of the work he gets through in fairness but there's competition there alright. O'Brien nearly has to play if fit, Declan and Sheehan will be pushing hard too and Buckley is one of the players potentially on the chopping block. He prob will start alright though, wouldn't be surprised if O'Brien and O Se came in for Donaghy and Enright.

I wouldn't start Darran regardless but he won't be far off fitness to contribute I think. He should be down the list of subs at this stage but a good option.

@Bonnie - appreciate the kind words

Sheehan is bandjaxed. As is O'Sullivan. They are 20 minute impact players if that. Bringing in O'Sullivan, Gooch, etc into an All-Ireland final against Donegal, probably the fittest team in the country, what are people dreaming of. O'Sullivan maybe, but bringing in Gooch, great and all that he is, massive ask.

Kerry will need 20 super fit players to run themselves into the ground. Another big weakness they have at the moment.

• Advertisement

Sheehan is bandjaxed. As is O'Sullivan. They are 20 minute impact players if that. Bringing in O'Sullivan, Gooch, etc into an All-Ireland final against Donegal, probably the fittest team in the country, what are people dreaming of. O'Sullivan maybe, but bringing in Gooch, great and all that he is, massive ask.

Kerry will need 20 super fit players to run themselves into the ground. Another big weakness they have at the moment.

Alright, ****ing hell - we're useless.

Agree that Donaghy might not start-it might depend on the fitness of some of the other Kerry forwards. He certainly had no impact for most of the 2012 qf- I know he did get the late goal which nearly swung it but still he caused Eamon McGee no trouble before that. Id say Kerry would prefer to go with pace, Id say its what Donegal would rather not face.

Presume Paddy McGrath will mark JOD.

Fair play to Kerry-how many counties could cope with losing Gooch,Galvin, Tomas, Brosnan and the others in such a shortt time and also the 2 O Sullivans struggling w fitness and still be in the AIF?

Alright, ****ing hell - we're useless.

Lol, relax!! You have some great players and Kerry are in bonus territory now. You have to lose an AI to win one, and if Kerry get Gooch back next year they will be hard to stop.

Agree that Donaghy might not start-it might depend on the fitness of some of the other Kerry forwards. He certainly had no impact for most of the 2012 qf- I know he did get the late goal which nearly swung it but still he caused Eamon McGee no trouble before that. Id say Kerry would prefer to go with pace, Id say its what Donegal would rather not face.

Fair play to Kerry-how many counties could cope with losing Gooch,Galvin, Tomas, Brosnan and the others in such a shortt time and also the 2 O Sullivans struggling w fitness and still be in the AIF?

It does help that they start their campaign in Munster...

*ducks*

All this talk of selections and tactics....

What everyone really wants to know is, what colours will each team wear?

Well, County Secretary just tweeted that there is no clash, so both teams wear their 'traditional' kit.

I guess back in 2012 we had more green in our jersey and so wore white.

You're not wrong in terms of the work he gets through in fairness but there's competition there alright. O'Brien nearly has to play if fit, Declan and Sheehan will be pushing hard too and Buckley is one of the players potentially on the chopping block. He prob will start alright though, wouldn't be surprised if O'Brien and O Se came in for Donaghy and Enright.

I wouldn't start Darran regardless but he won't be far off fitness to contribute I think. He should be down the list of subs at this stage but a good option.

I need to watch it back again, but was O'Mahony carried off on Saturday? Was that just a knock/cramp or something else?

And what's the story with Gooch? Is this just for himself or to give the team/supporters a lift?

No point bringing him on if we're behind and chasing I suppose as Donegal would have enough bodies back to make him pointless. Possibly in the first half there would be a bit more space. I think the quality of ball going into him was terrible for a few years and he was basically our first and often only point of attack. Possibly there's more threats to take heat off him now or at least a more varied approach to attacking.

Funnily enough I think 2012 was our nadir in terms of transitioning. We had too many old lads who while all still good individually as a group were creaking.

The thing about losing guys is you're not losing them at their peak, it was pretty much over for most of them so the standard didn't really drop that much even though you lost the scary looking team sheet.

Where guys like Paul Murphy have come out of is a mystery tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Lads. Referee situation.

Is himself from Sligo in contention?

I'm 99% sure it will be Deegan (again). Marty has been persona non grata for Finals since 2009. But I'm sure Kerry would love to see him, I'm sure....

• Advertisement

I need to watch it back again, but was O'Mahony carried off on Saturday? Was that just a knock/cramp or something else?

And what's the story with Gooch? Is this just for himself or to give the team/supporters a lift?

Cramp I'd say, didn't look like a guy who was worried about being injured when interviewed after.

Gooch togging out is gas, probably a mix of mind games and for his own sake. I remember discussing with my dad about the injury at the time and he had some plausible reason I can't remember as to why the injury wasn't as bad as let on but I couldn't see him being involved. It would be so Hollywood if he was though!

Agree totally about the jerseys

Advertisement