Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Analysis from @dontfoul blog:

http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

75% success rate from play and 68% overall is pretty impressive, the biggest in the 3 years of that blog.

Also remarkable is the difference between scoring stats and shot selection for Dublin as the game went on. They just didn't take on as many long range shots in the second half, yet only created a goal chance in the 66th minute.

Dublin only scored 2/7 placed balls, Brogan missed 2 scoreable ones and Cluxton failed to convert any of his 3 long range efforts.

Looking at things from an overall point of view and comparisons with 2012, it's remarkable the spread of scorers we have. We don't have anybody in the top 10 scorers in the Championship or top 9 from play!

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=185112

M.Murphy 0-17 0-12f
    C. McFadden 1-11 0-8F
    O. MacNialais 1-9
    P. McBrearty 0-10
    L. McLoone 2-3
    R. McHugh 2-3

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

K-9 wrote: »
    Analysis from @dontfoul blog:

http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

75% success rate from play and 68% overall is pretty impressive, the biggest in the 3 years of that blog.

Also remarkable is the difference between scoring stats and shot selection for Dublin as the game went on. They just didn't take on as many long range shots in the second half, yet only created a goal chance in the 66th minute.

Dublin only scored 2/7 placed balls, Brogan missed 2 scoreable ones and Cluxton failed to convert any of his 3 long range efforts.

Looking at things from an overall point of view and comparisons with 2012, it's remarkable the spread of scorers we have. We don't have anybody in the top 10 scorers in the Championship or top 9 from play!

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=185112

M.Murphy 0-17 0-12f
    C. McFadden 1-11 0-8F
    O. MacNialais 1-9
    P. McBrearty 0-10
    L. McLoone 2-3
    R. McHugh 2-3

In fairness to Cluxton's last attempt he meant to float it in as we needed a goal badly. So for me it's 2 misses from 2 attempts.

No idea why I'm splitting hairs here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

In fairness to Cluxton's last attempt he meant to float it in as we needed a goal badly. So for me it's 2 misses from 2 attempts.

No idea why I'm splitting hairs here. :)
    Well if we re getting into nitpicking it should be pointed out that Murphys last free was really just an exercise in kicking the ball dead from a mile out on the right,so really he was 2 from 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its all well and good hopping to win the quarter but its the jacks what youll meet in the semis and theyll give ye an awful thrashing Im afraid to tell you

Thought it was worth having a look back at Nostradamus' predictions for the lols :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

fullstop wrote: »
    Thought it was worth having a look back at Nostradamus' predictions for the lols :)
    Never right but always wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

According to the Irish Examiner it'll be Eddie Kinsella or Marty Duffy for the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

SM746 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Examiner it'll be Eddie Kinsella or Marty Duffy for the final!

I'm surprised that Kinsella is in contention. I think he's only reffed a couple of quarter finals with kerry and low key provincial finals. Doesn't seem to have done a really big game yet. Thought Deegan would be ahead of him.

Still, he must be better than Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Still, he must be better than Duffy.

+1

The game would flow better without him. Usually a very start stop referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

sob1467 wrote: »
    +1

The game would flow better without him. Usually a very start stop referee.

Yeah,he's cat...wonder he's gettin it and he from sligo and neighbours donegal being in the final??

Eddie Kinsella has got it

• Advertisement

Eddie Kinsella has got it

Good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Strange. Kinsella has never reffed a semi-final never mind a final Has reffed two quarter-finals (2013 and 2014). Kerry were involved in both those quarter-finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Strange. Kinsella has never reffed a semi-final never mind a final Has reffed two quarter-finals (2013 and 2014). Kerry were involved in both those quarter-finals.

Don't start :p

http://donegalgaa.ie/2014/09/donegal-gaa-announce-allocation-of-13518-all-ireland-football-tickets-to-clubs

God forbid they would actually give a decent allocation to the competing counties. Going to be some very dissapointed people in Donegal

keane2097 wrote: »
    Don't start :p

Tis a disgrace Joe!

I could care less. Posted it on Twitter earlier (just to see if anyone would bite...) and someone reminded me that he reffed the Club Championship Final. This person took a very dim view of his performance that day. Didn't have a problem with it myself. The black card on Feeney was a huge call of course.

http://donegalgaa.ie/2014/09/donegal-gaa-announce-allocation-of-13518-all-ireland-football-tickets-to-clubs

God forbid they would actually give a decent allocation to the competing counties. Going to be some very dissapointed people in Donegal

Will there? There's enough for season ticket holders and members. Outside of that group I'm really not overly bothered. They should know the score by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That's a shocking allocation of tickets to the county. How can they only be given 84% of what they received in 2012 when they have two teams in the finals? I presume Kerry got the same allocation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    That's a shocking allocation of tickets to the county. How can they only be given 84% of what they received in 2012 when they have two teams in the finals? I presume Kerry got the same allocation?
    They're allocating 84% of the counties tickets to clubs which is the same allocation they gave clubs in 2012. The county board received extra tickets this year.
    I've no idea why they're holding back ~2k tickets though. Probably for draws etc to gouge a little more money from those who are not members, ST holders etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Will there? There's enough for season ticket holders and members. Outside of that group I'm really not overly bothered. They should know the score by now.
    There's enough tickets for the number of members according to the county board. It wouldn't surprise me if specific clubs have more paid members that they didn't notify the county board about. It happened in a few clubs in 2012 including my own which is why I'd never become a member again until the people in charge there move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Any truth to the rumours that Donegal are set to spend up to 20k when the lads are in the Lough Erne resort for a few days before the AI Final? If the Dubs are Chelsea, hard not to argue that Donegal are Man City

• Advertisement

Any truth to the rumours that Donegal are set to spend up to 20k when the lads are in the Lough Erne resort for a few days before the AI Final? If the Dubs are Chelsea, hard not to argue that Donegal are Man City

Hope it's true...might be the best few pound they spend this year whether its chelsea or man city payin for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

They're allocating 84% of the counties tickets to clubs which is the same allocation they gave clubs in 2012. The county board received extra tickets this year.
    I've no idea why they're holding back ~2k tickets though. Probably for draws etc to gouge a little more money from those who are not members, ST holders etc.

I think the season ticket holders are not included in a county's allocation. They get directly allocated from croke park. I could be wrong on that.

The remaining 2k tickets will mainly go to the players, county board officials and sponsors. Pretty sure that all referees are given tickets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

What about those of us who are living in other County's that attend all the Donegal games through thick and think.

I am an active member of a club in Dublin that will only receive 8no tickets, 2 raffled in a fundraiser for a clubhouse, 2 to Sponsors as per sponsorship deal and 4 raffled between club members from counties in the All-Ireland. There is about 50 club members from Kerry and Donegal I would say easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jmcmen wrote: »
    What about those of us who are living in other County's that attend all the Donegal games through thick and think.

I am an active member of a club in Dublin that will only receive 8no tickets, 2 raffled in a fundraiser for a clubhouse, 2 to Sponsors as per sponsorship deal and 4 raffled between club members from counties in the All-Ireland. There is about 50 club members from Kerry and Donegal I would say easily

I would think that's the best argument you'll hear for the season ticket.

I think the season ticket holders are not included in a county's allocation. They get directly allocated from croke park. I could be wrong on that.

The remaining 2k tickets will mainly go to the players, county board officials and sponsors. Pretty sure that all referees are given tickets as well.

Yeah, Season Tickets are independent of the County Board allocation, well, according to this piece from two years ago

http://www.thejournal.ie/who-gets-all-ireland-final-tickets-583653-Sep2012/

You can probably assume the Season Ticket allocation has increased this year, this may impact on the amount of tickets allocated to the County.

No different this year than any other year although I suppose the big change from times long gone is that most clubs from counties not competing now have a highly promoted draw with tickets as the prize to raise funds.

I checked out of the last thread on Donegal GAA before the final when the talk on tickets overtook the fact that we were in the final at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would think that's the best argument you'll hear for the season ticket.
    Your not totally correct nor was I clear. I generally only make it to Championship games due to club commitments in Dublin. Make the odd league game but that's about it. You need to attend 60% of total games league and Championship and get your season ticket validated to qualify, therefore your argument would not work

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Your not totally correct nor was I clear. I generally only make it to Championship games due to club commitments in Dublin. Make the odd league game but that's about it. You need to attend 60% of total games league and Championship and get your season ticket validated to qualify, therefore your argument would not work

You could always offer your ST to a mate to scan if you can make it to a league game. I know quite a few people who would do this during the year and get to the 60% threshold. The GAA are clamping down on 'phantom' entrants, which is fair enough (i.e. you can't walk up with 10 cards and get them all scanned).

Anyone going to the banquet?

No, decided against it. Was thinking about the 'afters' but don't want to commit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Having gatecrashed the afters in 92 and 12 I'm prepared to take my chances again should the need arise.

Advertisement