Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

I doubt it, GAA said we'd wear our normal kits a couple of days after the semi.

Now that the clubs have all allocated their tickets, the wheeling and dealing can commence. I have mine anway:D, I think 309. Was in 309 in 2012 as well.

Swapped my ST for the Hill I'm 2012 to be with mates. Think I'm going to do the same tomorrow once we decide where everyone sits! Was good luck in 2012 so hopefully the same again if I decide to go with it! Was full of Donegal too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Just off the phone ticket sorted thank feck, Lower Cusack no idea whereabouts yet but to be honest don't care one iota so fecking happy, roll on Sunday! Best of luck to everyone in the hunt over the next few days and I'll be sure to mention it here if any others come my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Tkt sorted tonight too. Thats a relief. Didnt want to say it til i had one but i think everyone who really wants one will get one.

Anyway take it hes not gonna bother namin a team til sSunday?
    Im guessin Christy in will be only change. Sister was at a do in Coppers this eve w B Brogan,Geraghty,Jack O Shea and Mark McHugh. All the neutrals went for Kerry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

harpsman wrote: »
    Tkt sorted tonight too. Thats a relief. Didnt want to say it til i had one but i think everyone who really wants one will get one.

Im guessin Christy in will be only change. Sister was at a do in Coppers this eve w B Brogan,Geraghty,Jack O Shea and Mark McHugh. All the neutrals went for Kerry!!
    Just finished listening to Second Captains podcast and they went for Kerry as well. Ah sure no one knows how this game will pan out, we're all second guessing two of the best tactical managers in the game at the minute. Best just keep the nerves to a minimum and do our best to enjoy the day if that's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Seems to be that we'll be bookies favourites but a lot of pundits are tipping Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

RTE did a quick fire segment with Cuthbert (Cork), Dessie Dolan and two others I can't remember. All bar Cuthbert went for Donegal.

It's irrelevant really as people particularly in GAA don't give a match due consideration they fire out a name. Look at our semi with Dublin.

Just finished listening to Second Captains podcast and they went for Kerry as well. Ah sure no one knows how this game will pan out, we're all second guessing two of the best tactical managers in the game at the minute. Best just keep the nerves to a minimum and do our best to enjoy the day if that's possible!
    Thats exactly it-gonna be very tight id say;ive a slight fancy for Donegal but given that i didnt fancy them for Monaghan,Dublin games maybe thats a bad sign. Intersting that theres been no speculation about tactics(havent heard 2nd capns yet),i think people know what to expect fom both sides-wonder will one of them surprise us?

Heard earlier that an u-16 match was called off last night due to the players refusing to play after a row over tickets for Sunday. Anyone know if this is true? I'm hoping it is as a few clubs have acted the maggot again this year in relation to long time club members v "the lads" and I'd love for it to be finally addressed.
    What clubs? And what happened?

Otherwise its just the usual bar room gossip that you hear every year. No doubt if they lose on Sunday it ll be because Murphy and McGuinness had a huge row over a property deal in Garton or some such the morning of the match:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

What clubs? And what happened?

Otherwise its just the usual bar room gossip that you hear every year. No doubt if they lose on Sunday it ll be because Murphy and McGuinness had a huge row over a property deal in Garton or some such the morning of the match:D
    Ardara and Glenties (apparently). The guy who told me would be a reliable GAA fella who normally place's local club men on a pedestal alongside Michael Collins, Ghandi and Jack Baeur so it seemed too off script for him for it to be gossip.

Ardara and Glenties (apparently). The guy who told me would be a reliable GAA fella who normally place's local club men on a pedestal alongside Michael Collins, Ghandi and Jack Baeur so it seemed too off script for him for it to be gossip.
    Fair enough-i have a cousin in Ardara so ill look into it!!

But what I dont understand is why cant the club members put a policy in place for the distribution of tickets? Surely that would put an end to the infighting over tickets the week of the match.

I know somebody in a Dublin club where theres always less tickets than members. They have a points system and the full list is put up for everyone to see. As far as i know theres no major complaints even from those who miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

Nobody cares but, here are the league fixtures. They look pretty good in that we have 4 home games (although they'll probably all be played in Ballyshannon) and we have Derry and Monaghan at home who'll probably be favourites for relegation.

Hopefully the Dublin game will be in croker, the All Ireland champions should attract too big a crowd for Parnell Park :pac:

Division 1

Round 1 (31 January/1 February): Cork v Dublin, Donegal v Derry, Kerry v Mayo Tyrone v Monaghan

Round 2 (7/8 February): Derry v Kerry, Dublin v Donegal, Mayo v Tyrone; Monaghan v Cork

Round 3 (28 February/1 March): Donegal v Cork , Kerry v Dublin, Mayo v Monaghan, Tyrone v Derry

Round 4 (7/8 March): Cork v Kerry, Derry v Mayo, Donegal v Monaghan, Dublin v Tyrone

Round 5 (14/15 March): Kerry v Donegal, Mayo v Dublin, Monaghan v Derry, Tyrone v Cork

Round 6 (28/29 March): Cork v Mayo, Donegal v Tyrone, Dublin v Derry, Kerry v Monaghan

Round 7 (5 April): Derry v Cork, Mayo v Donegal, Monaghan v Dublin, Tyrone v Kerry

why do you say the home games will probably be in Ballyshannon?

why do you say the home games will probably be in Ballyshannon?
    The last time we were in Div 1 hq insisted all games in Ballybofey, so hopefully the same this time.

Again not that it matters much at moment but youd fancy us in the home games, with the other top 4 teams all away the away games look tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Ticket sorted. Not sure where it's located but just as long as I'm in there.

I remember driving out to Derry in May on that drizzly uncertain day, not sure what to expect and the thoughts of leaving Croke Park after the loss to Mayo still at the back of my mind. A quiet day in Clones followed against Antrim and then a satisfying defeat of Monaghan. I still think the team hasn't got enough credit for their victory over Armagh considering the absolute steel they showed. And nothing needs to be said about their victory over Dublin.

The build up to this final has been very unusual in my opinion. The drama of both semi-finals seems to have exhausted the media (who would've thought that possible) and I'm quite bewildered that a lot of pundits are calling Kerry to win, despite Donegal crushing the unbeatable team. McGeeney is right when he says Donegal will never get the appreciation they deserve. Whether people enjoy them or not, Jim McGuinness and this panel of players have helped elevate football to a higher level and that can only be a good thing in the long run.

I'm feeling good about the game. When Sunday comes I'll be 'nailed on' and behind the teams, which my throat isn't looking forward to! Whatever happens, the four year tenure McGuinness committed to has been absolutely incredible and going to the games has been a tremendous pleasure.

Ticket sorted. Not sure where it's located but just as long as I'm in there.

I remember driving out to Derry in May on that drizzly uncertain day, not sure what to expect and the thoughts of leaving Croke Park after the loss to Mayo still at the back of my mind. A quiet day in Clones followed against Antrim and then a satisfying defeat of Monaghan. I still think the team hasn't got enough credit for their victory over Armagh considering the absolute steel they showed. And nothing needs to be said about their victory over Dublin.

The build up to this final has been very unusual in my opinion. The drama of both semi-finals seems to have exhausted the media (who would've thought that possible) and I'm quite bewildered that a lot of pundits are calling Kerry to win, despite Donegal crushing the unbeatable team. McGeeney is right when he says Donegal will never get the appreciation they deserve. Whether people enjoy them or not, Jim McGuinness and this panel of players have helped elevate football to a higher level and that can only be a good thing in the long run.

I'm feeling good about the game. When Sunday comes I'll be 'nailed on' and behind the teams, which my throat isn't looking forward to! Whatever happens, the four year tenure McGuinness committed to has been absolutely incredible and going to the games has been a tremendous pleasure.
    Agree with pretty much all that.

Glad to have tkt sorted and can enjoy the weekend without waitin for the phone to ring.Also, dont give a damn where my tkt for,just happy to be at such a wonderful occasion(even though im not a massive fan of front rows;as it happens im in Davin Upr). I started watchin Donegal around 87/88 and all ireland finals seemed a different universe then.

Remember drivin from Dublin to Ballybofey to pick up ticket and on to Derry that May morning in a slightly melancholy mood, wondering was this the end of an era. Nobody else of my Dublin gang made the journey up but there was a great support there and was so proud of the team and supporters drivin back to Dublin that night. Players and supporters knew how important a win it was-mind u i thought it might only lead to the semi, not final.

Agree that after those semis everyone is a little drained and its takin a while for the excitement to build for this. From a Donegal perspective the Dublin game was so spectacular that theres bound to be a slight anti-climax after(i know that sounds mad with the final coming up). I think the fact that we won so recently and Kerry are regulars contribute to the more low key build up. However with both teams in the minor as well I think the atmosphere on Sunday will be amazing.

Yes, its unusual for one team to be strong bookies favs and the other be the fav of most pundits. Both teams in bonus territory and whoever wins it will be a massive achievement for team and particularly manager.

As for gettin credit Id be happy enough that Donegal get enough credit-you hear the odd snide comment about 13 defenders but if people are too stupid to realise that you can attack and defend as a team then i wouldnt be too bothered about them. The media and hence the public tend to be herd animals so when youre winnin theyre they kiss your ass and when youre losin they go overboard with criticism.

My moneys says Sam will be headin for the hills on Monday but whatever happens Thanks to Jim and the boys for 4 years we ll never forget.

Roll on sunday:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

So here comes a story that might not pass as believable but I don't mind, I just would ask for a detailed response even a copy and paste.

I'm an avid GAA man and the last few weeks have left me feeling like I've missed something huge to the extent that I'm actually quite annoyed.

I've been gone with work for the past 3 weeks no phone, no newspapers and no radio pretty much no contact with ordinary civilisation.

I found out that dongeal beat dublin today, I am not home till tomorrow and my Family have recorded all coverage, newspaper cuttings etc.

I've searched the net but I keep getting build up articles. I trust that the people in this forum can help me out with a bit if reading material, even self composed to pass the next few hours until I get home to the hills.

Thank you very much in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Think the tickets are sorted. :D eeeeeeeee. Can finally start looking forward to the game. Anywhere I could watch the full semi-final online at this stage dya reckon?

So here comes a story that might not pass as believable but I don't mind, I just would ask for a detailed response even a copy and paste.

I'm an avid GAA man and the last few weeks have left me feeling like I've missed something huge to the extent that I'm actually quite annoyed.

I've been gone with work for the past 3 weeks no phone, no newspapers and no radio pretty much no contact with ordinary civilisation.

I found out that dongeal beat dublin today, I am not home till tomorrow and my Family have recorded all coverage, newspaper cuttings etc.

I've searched the net but I keep getting build up articles. I trust that the people in this forum can help me out with a bit if reading material, even self composed to pass the next few hours until I get home to the hills.

Are you an astronaut!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

If Kerry win on Sunday, can I go to where ever you where for the next 3 weeks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ticket sorted, last post before throw in. Really looking forward to it now and the closer it gets the more confident I am that we have the edge on Kerry here. Part of my is nervous just because it's Kerry but our lads have shown a composure this year that even when things aren't going well, they don't panic and still believe they will win. As others have said, it's been an absolutely incredible four years but this year the thing that has impressed me more than anything is that I can see this continuing on for a few more years yet, albeit I'm not expecting All Ireland finals every year! :) But last year I felt that we might slip back into the mix again and not really be a contender, but I think Jim has taken a lot of heart from the newcomers to the team and I'm even hopeful he might stay on again. But that's for another day! Right now am going to enjoy this weekend and hopefully will be hoarse and happy come 5:30!
    H'on Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Obviously not an astronaut. It was a condition of what I was doing that there was to be no phones/papers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Obviously not an astronaut. It was a condition of what I was doing that there was to be no phones/papers etc

Can't believe you spent three months up a tree in kerry :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

Gonna give up the ticket chase. Just too exhausted after work/college the last few weeks. Il regret it after but knew it all would catch up with me eventually, dunno if ye noticed me absence! Il still see ye on the diamond!
    Enjoy lads!

P Durcan; É McGee, N McGee, P McGrath; A Tompson, K Lacey, F McGlynn; N Gallagher, O Mac Niallais; C Toye, L McLoone, R McHugh; P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden.

McBrearty and Toye come in.

Kavanagh to replace Toye after 40/50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Glad to see Toye starting. He was the difference against us in the SF.

I'm getting giddy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'd have as much faith in that named team being the actual starting 15 as I would the lineups we came up with down the town last night!

I'd have as much faith in that named team being the actual starting 15 as I would the lineups we came up with down the town last night!

Ordinarily I'd agree. But there's not much movement with that team. I'd prefer McBrearty off the bench though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just back from the game. Needless to say I'm devastated. But I'd gladly go through this feeling another 10 times over to have another day like 2012. We really weren't at our best and coulda taken the game. Its telling that there wasn't much in the game when all that separated us was really an abysmal error from Durkin.

I've a sour taste left in my mouth from the twat sitting in front of me and a couple young Donegal fans at the game. Took to turning and celebrating the scores in our faces. Super classy. But he was really really ugly so at least I know he'll probably never find love :pac:

Anyways. Looking on to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Sicker than a small hospital.

The last four years have been a wonderful journey for the people of Donegal. This group of players have given us so many good days and have shown the nation the pride we have as Donegal people. We will never be able to thank Jim and everyone associated with this team for the pleasure they have given us.

Today was disappointing in that it was a game we lost as much as we were beaten. We didn't come close to the performance we hoped for, or have come to expect from this team. Despite that we came within the width of a post of another opportunity. There were uncharacteristic individual mistakes which were severely punished and we struggled to win primary possession all day.

Leaving aside the goal our kick out strategy caused us untold problems. The next two Kerry scores after the goal came from our kickouts. Those five points were telling in the end. Kerry adopted a zonal defence to our kickouts and invariably any kickout we won was on our own 20m line. This meant we had to work the ball the length of the pitch and allowed the Kerry defence the opportunity to reset. We found ourselves getting isolated or having to play the ball laterally.

From listening to Jim tonight there is a genuine chance he will stay on. Hopefully this group will take the heartbreak of today and use it to drive them forward again. There is another All Ireland in this team. Michael Murphy will rally the players again and he has the passion and drive to take this team forward again.

Dún na nGall abú.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Having watched the minor game it wasn't hard to figure out the Kerry game plan for the senior match. I really feared the worst, just one of those bad feelings. Conceding 2 goals the way we did, not keeping the scoreboard ticking over while our backs were heroically keeping the kerry full-forward line quiet, Mc Fadden not being replaced while others were? , a period of kicking long kickouts while obviously losing the midfield, i could go on. Suffice to say Kerry were craftier and let us run ourselves exhausted especially in the first half. Pitch was obviously only watered heavily this morning leaving the grass slippery and the soil hard. stupid. Not overly keen on refs for both matches, showed his ineptitude on several occasions. Do we blame Donegal for carrying into tackle thereby getting fouled or do we believe that Kerry were deliberately slowing the play down? and getting away with it. Really disappointed in losing both games. Minors had the opportunities and key forwards didnt deliver.

However, I think this panel of players and management team have done Donegal proud. What Jim has done is unbelievable.Its a pity that they may not be elevated to the same heights as the great Down or Tyrone teams of the past.

p.s. Our command and control disappeared after we conceded the second goal. Players looked knackered.

Advertisement