Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The thing that is galling me more than anything was we didn't perform. Of all the days for that to happen.

Kerry deserved to win on the day but Jesus its not like they tore us to shreds like their teams have done to others, if we played anywhere near to our full ability we'd have taken them an thats the worst bit. This will hurt for a long time. I'm absolutely devastated.

The Kerry fans then strolling away from the ground then just normally and away home,couldn't help by contrast the same scene to 2012 , it was lunacy and delirium. That's what happens when you've 37 All Ireland's I suppose and fair plAy to them.We needed that more than them today, they'll always be around with their tradition ,we need to make the most of any final appearance as they don't come around too often for us. Gutted for Jim, the players and the people of Donegal.

Doubt ill feel any better in the morning either. I fear it'll be a while before we're back in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The thing that is galling me more than anything was we didn't perform. Of all the days for that to happen.

Kerry deserved to win on the day but Jesus its not like they tore us to shreds like their teams have done to others, if we played anywhere near to our full ability we'd have taken them an thats the worst bit. This will hurt for a long time. I'm absolutely devastated.

The Kerry fans then strolling away from the ground then just normally and away home,couldn't help by contrast the same scene to 2012 , it was lunacy and delirium. That's what happens when you've 37 All Ireland's I suppose and fair plAy to them.We needed that more than them today, they'll always be around with their tradition ,we need to make the most of any final appearance as they don't come around too often for us. Gutted for Jim, the players and the people of Donegal.

Doubt ill feel any better in the morning either. I fear it'll be a while before we're back in a final.

You're completely ignoring the role Kerry had in Donegals performance. Seemed to me they near enough copied what Armagh did in the quarter final and Donegal weren't great that day either.

The extent to which they affected Donegals performance can probably only be guessed at but personally i felt they beat you at your own game (ie. stopping the opposition playing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

corny wrote: »
    You're completely ignoring the role Kerry had in Donegals performance. Seemed to me they near enough copied what Armagh did in the quarter final and Donegal weren't great that day either.

The extent to which they affected Donegals performance can probably only be guessed at but personally i felt they beat you at your own game (ie. stopping the opposition playing).

Totally agree. Kerry neutralised Donegal's strengths and played the waiting game. They played some excellent kick passes into space after soaking up Donegal pressure. At the same time it wasn't vintage Kerry. Fitzmaurice has brought a grittiness and realism to Kerry's play. With him they would have won in 2011 and 2013.

Mc Guinness has said that Donegal were flat but I think this may be a result of either Donegal not giving Kerry enough respect and/or key players under-performing. Durkan looked to be spooked (charging out and letting the ball go over his head) as a result of the first goal. Mind you he has done this several times over the years and got away with it.

Hope there is a large reception for the Donegal teams this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

The Kerry fans then strolling away from the ground then just normally and away home,couldn't help by contrast the same scene to 2012 , it was lunacy and delirium. That's what happens when you've 37 All Ireland's I suppose and fair plAy to them.We needed that more than them today, they'll always be around with their tradition ,we need to make the most of any final appearance as they don't come around too often for us. Gutted for Jim, the players and the people of Donegal. .

True.
    Still, the team owe us nothing. We owe them our thanks for all the hard work.

Nah! We'll be back next year!:D
    Congratulations to Kerry!
    Dún na nGall abú!

opiniated wrote: »
    True.
    Still, the team owe us nothing. We owe them our thanks for all the hard work.

Nah! We'll be back next year!:D
    Congratulations to Kerry!
    Dún na nGall abú!

Not sure you'd hear Kerry folk saying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Not sure you'd hear Kerry folk saying this.

about the kerry team? wrong

It Kerry are beaten Kerry people don't say "the team owes us nothing". At least not the Kerry supporters I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Gutted. That is all.

corny wrote: »

No I'm not, Kerry played well yesterday and were set up excellently but there was enough from our little bursts of play to convince me that a sustained patch could have reaped rewards. I used the term stationary during the game and that's what it was. We were flat and didn't perform as we know we can.

No I'm not, Kerry played well yesterday and were set up excellently but there was enough from our little bursts of play to convince me that a sustained patch could have reaped rewards. I used the term stationary during the game and that's what it was. We were flat and didn't perform as we know we can.
    This is the biggest cause of my biggest disappointment as we just didn't perform like we can. Too many fellas just didn't show up for us and ideas were very thin on the ground. Getting beat by Kerry in itself is no great shame on the face of things but losing when we just didn't show up is frustrating as hell.

• Advertisement

It Kerry are beaten Kerry people don't say "the team owes us nothing". At least not the Kerry supporters I know.

I'd dispute that, based on some of the Kerry supporters I know.
    I was in Kerry for the Kerry v. Galway match.
    I was shocked to hear a dyed in the wool Kerry supporter rooting for Galway.
    Her reasoning? She wanted a tough match for Kerry because she felt they needed one for the experience for the younger players! Even if that meant losing. She was looking to the long term - not what she thought the players "owed" their fans.

I'm both looking to the long term, and stating the honest truth when I say the players owe us nothing.
    We don't pay them, rarely appreciate their hard work when things don't go as well as we'd like, and quite a few of us are experts on tactics on the keyboard - and couldn't kick a ball to save our lives!

So, yes, the players owe us nothing, whether they play to their full capacity or not.
    They've worked to a system that has been calumnied the length and breadth of the Country. They've sacrificed their own individuality as players, and the praise that usually goes with it, opting instead to give their all for the team, and the County. They've taken the criticism, without a word in their own defence.

Now - for the long term - I have a question for all those who've bemoaned yesterdays game.

For those of you who've bemoaned the "end" of "pure" gaelic football - Did Eamonn Fitzmaurice "sink" a level yesterday - or did he train his players to adapt to their opponents, creating a more versatile team?
    And would he have done so if he weren't playing Donegal?

Unless every manager in the Country is a complete fool, they're going to realise that any one style of playing football wont cut it any more - and they'll develop strategies to suit, resulting in a greater skillset among their players.
    Win for Gaelic football, and the fans.
    Love or loathe Jimmy McGuinness, and Eamonn Fitzmaurice, between them they've forced Gaelic football to become a game where the players have to be more adaptable.
    For that we should be grateful, imo.

This is the biggest cause of my biggest disappointment as we just didn't perform like we can. Too many fellas just didn't show up for us and ideas were very thin on the ground. Getting beat by Kerry in itself is no great shame on the face of things but losing when we just didn't show up is frustrating as hell.

Absolutely. It's Kerry so no great odds to me in of itself.its the fact we haven't turned up which is the killer.Looking forward the players will know that and we know we can be fragile mentally at times so its a job for somebody to make sure that goes away ver quickly. Jims the man for that.

Seniors arriving in Donegal town at 8.30 via pettigo. Minors arriving at the same at 8 via Ballyshannon.

opiniated wrote: »
    I'd dispute that, based on some of the Kerry supporters I know.
    I was in Kerry for the Kerry v. Galway match.
    I was shocked to hear a dyed in the wool Kerry supporter rooting for Galway.
    Her reasoning? She wanted a tough match for Kerry because she felt they needed one for the experience for the younger players! Even if that meant losing. She was looking to the long term - not what she thought the players "owed" their fans.

I'm both looking to the long term, and stating the honest truth when I say the players owe us nothing.
    We don't pay them, rarely appreciate their hard work when things don't go as well as we'd like, and quite a few of us are experts on tactics on the keyboard - and couldn't kick a ball to save our lives!

So, yes, the players owe us nothing, whether they play to their full capacity or not.
    They've worked to a system that has been calumnied the length and breadth of the Country. They've sacrificed their own individuality as players, and the praise that usually goes with it, opting instead to give their all for the team, and the County. They've taken the criticism, without a word in their own defence.

Now - for the long term - I have a question for all those who've bemoaned yesterdays game.

For those of you who've bemoaned the "end" of "pure" gaelic football - Did Eamonn Fitzmaurice "sink" a level yesterday - or did he train his players to adapt to their opponents, creating a more versatile team?
    And would he have done so if he weren't playing Donegal?

Unless every manager in the Country is a complete fool, they're going to realise that any one style of playing football wont cut it any more - and they'll develop strategies to suit, resulting in a greater skillset among their players.
    Win for Gaelic football, and the fans.
    Love or loathe Jimmy McGuinness, and Eamonn Fitzmaurice, between them they've forced Gaelic football to become a game where the players have to be more adaptable.
    For that we should be grateful, imo.

I'm in no may diminishing the efforts and sacrifices that the players and families make in wearing the county jersey. My point is that folk in Kerry expect their teams to win in the here and now and again next year. Remember one Ireland winning player counts for nothing there. Donegal one of the least successful counties has obviously more modest expectations. "True" GAA supporters and maybe some of us who have kicked a ball despite ourselves would love to see them to perform at the highest level every year. We just don't want them to ride off into the sunset just yet. We will follow them to every national league match or mckenna cup match not just on the big occasions.

Yesterday neither Donegal fans or kerry fans couldnt have given a hoot about what people care about the style as long as they landed Sam. Other counties maybe have a different opinion on this. If I was a neutral I might have left early. As far as Eamonn Fitzmaurice is concerned he beat is with a similar system, a bit of Donegal misfortune and a slightly better allround game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Well i have to say im disappointed, but not overly so. Of course it would have been lovely to win a 2nd in 3 yrs and beat Kerry in a final but if we d lost a game we should have won or gotten hammered id be hurting alot more. We played very poorly- yes Kerry did a great job stopping us and in fairness we did a pretty good job defending but after that we really struggled. Lets be honest-kerry could have had at least 1 more goal in 1st 20 minutes and possibly put the game to bed. After going in level at half time i thought we may just have gotten out of jail and in the past we ve usually gotten through these scrapes but our 3rd quarter was even worse. Im pretty sure we d have lost even without that goal.

Anyway as has been said a brilliant 4 years, we ve an AI and 3 ulsters to cherish and ill never forget the euphoria of that Dublin game as long as i have a memory.

When I think of how i felt after last year i think when the rawness of the defeat wears off we ll all reflect on a great year.
    Tir Chonnaill abu. Roll on 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Totally agree. Kerry neutralised Donegal's strengths and played the waiting game. They played some excellent kick passes into space after soaking up Donegal pressure. At the same time it wasn't vintage Kerry. Fitzmaurice has brought a grittiness and realism to Kerry's play. With him they would have won in 2011 and 2013.

Mc Guinness has said that Donegal were flat but I think this may be a result of either Donegal not giving Kerry enough respect and/or key players under-performing. Durkan looked to be spooked (charging out and letting the ball go over his head) as a result of the first goal. Mind you he has done this several times over the years and got away with it.

Hope there is a large reception for the Donegal teams this evening.

Fitzmaurice was with Kerry in 2013.

harpsman wrote: »
    Well i have to say im disappointed, but not overly so. Of course it would have been lovely to win a 2nd in 3 yrs and beat Kerry in a final but if we d lost a game we should have won or gotten hammered id be hurting alot more. /QUOTE]

Have to disagree. Not turning up has fúcking ruined me really. Gutted to say the least, never have a problem losing to a better team having emptied the tank but we didn't do that.

On a more positive note, good crowds today in Ballyshannon and in Donegal Town for the minors and seniors respectively. Eamon McGee neglected to go on stage when called and went straight to the pub. Can't blame him. The seniors looked like they didn't want to be there at all which is totally understandable. Sean Dunnion put a wee bit of pressure on Jim to stay with his comments, don't think he intended that but it's the way it came off.

Probably as many in Donegal as Killarney but that's life.

Still devastated. I know what an All Ireland can do for our county. It transcends sport and football. Absolutely gutted.

On a more positive note, good crowds today in Ballyshannon and in Donegal Town for the minors and seniors respectively. Eamon McGee neglected to go on stage when called and went straight to the pub. Can't blame him. The seniors looked like they didn't want to be there at all which is totally understandable. Sean Dunnion put a wee bit of pressure on Jim to stay with his comments, don't think he intended that but it's the way it came off
    I wouldn't blame them one bit for not wanting to be there. Theres a fine line between wanting to show a team support and wanting to give them a bit of space but I kinda cringe at these types of homecoming events after a team loses no matter what the sport is. Any events like this that are put on almost purely to make supporters feel good and for the benefit of local bars are generally not a great idea.

In saying that, and without knowing what went on beyond your post, McGee shoulda went on stage with, I presume, the rest of the squad. He's had plenty of time in the past and will have plenty of time in the future for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Having had time to digest Sunday, I'm with harpsman on this. I'm disappointed, and gutted for the team that they didn't perform on the day, but overall I'm very proud of them all and view this year as a success, not a disappointment. That Dublin game will be my abiding memory of 2014. That said though, it's very hard to stomach the fact that, as poorly as we played, it was still one stupid mistake that ultimately cost us (plus the following kickouts as has been said). I was in Citywest Sunday night and felt for big Durcan. He was in good form and I have to hand it to the lads who stayed on to mingle with the crowd that night as it can't have been easy for them. But the bottom line is that too many players just didn't perform on the day and I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis to identify why that was and I have no doubt they will be back next year - and I'm pretty confident Jim will give it one more year too.
    One special mention tho to Neil McGee, what a player this lad is. I'm open to correction but I believe he only conceded 0-4 to his opponents in all games in the championship this year - and considering that list included Conor McManus, Jamie Clarke, Bernard Brogan and James O'Donghue that's quite phenomenal. Add in his own two points from play at the other end and I really think he should be in the running for player of the year. I know a full back is never going to win this but I think he deserves recognition for what he has done this year.

One other thing from Sunday, the minors. I was hugely impressed with some of the lads over the two games I saw the play in Croker. Gillespie, McClenaghan and Mulligan at the back were outstanding, as was McBrearty and Campbell up front and what is really promising is the fact that we had players from all over the county represented on the team which hasn't always happened at minor level. I think a few of these lads will go on to be valuable additions to the senior team over the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Having had time to digest Sunday, I'm with harpsman on this. I'm disappointed, and gutted for the team that they didn't perform on the day, but overall I'm very proud of them all and view this year as a success, not a disappointment. That Dublin game will be my abiding memory of 2014. That said though, it's very hard to stomach the fact that, as poorly as we played, it was still one stupid mistake that ultimately cost us (plus the following kickouts as has been said). I was in Citywest Sunday night and felt for big Durcan. He was in good form and I have to hand it to the lads who stayed on to mingle with the crowd that night as it can't have been easy for them. But the bottom line is that too many players just didn't perform on the day and I'm sure there will be plenty of analysis to identify why that was and I have no doubt they will be back next year - and I'm pretty confident Jim will give it one more year too.
    One special mention tho to Neil McGee, what a player this lad is. I'm open to correction but I believe he only conceded 0-4 to his opponents in all games in the championship this year - and considering that list included Conor McManus, Jamie Clarke, Bernard Brogan and James O'Donghue that's quite phenomenal. Add in his own two points from play at the other end and I really think he should be in the running for player of the year. I know a full back is never going to win this but I think he deserves recognition for what he has done this year.

I'm not trying to say that McGee isn't a fantastic player, he is clearly a fantastic full back, but I would just temper the above with the fact that with the system that Donegal play, with so many bodies in defence, it is very hard for any opposition team's fuill forward line to get into the game at all. That is why James O'Donoghue came out the field yesterday, for example.
    You aren't going to get space to do anything in the full forward line with so many bodies back.

• Advertisement

I'm in no may diminishing the efforts and sacrifices that the players and families make in wearing the county jersey. My point is that folk in Kerry expect their teams to win in the here and now and again next year. Remember one Ireland winning player counts for nothing there. Donegal one of the least successful counties has obviously more modest expectations. "True" GAA supporters and maybe some of us who have kicked a ball despite ourselves would love to see them to perform at the highest level every year. We just don't want them to ride off into the sunset just yet. We will follow them to every national league match or mckenna cup match not just on the big occasions.

Yesterday neither Donegal fans or kerry fans couldnt have given a hoot about what people care about the style as long as they landed Sam. Other counties maybe have a different opinion on this. If I was a neutral I might have left early. As far as Eamonn Fitzmaurice is concerned he beat is with a similar system, a bit of Donegal misfortune and a slightly better allround game.

I think it's inevitable that expectations are high in Kerry - and I'd be very familiar with Kerry fans since I have relatives there.
    Realistically, they dominated GAA for years. Expecting wins is something they subconsciously grow up with.
    Crucially, they did not have those expectations this year - until the Mayo matches. That changed everything. Prior to that, any Kerry fans I was chatting to were looking for experience for the young lads coming up, and didn't expect to see Sam for another couple of years. (Commiserations to Mayo, by the way, on losing two hard fought, and brilliantly played games!)

In Donegal, we don't have that tradition - yet!
    I think you'll find that the 9 - 13 year olds will have a very different expectation to the older fans, and that's a good thing, because the young players themselves will set themselves a higher standard.

I also stand by what I said. In the long term, astute managers and players will grasp the fact that a more versatile style if play is needed to win Sam in future.
    Those that can't grasp that fact will sit and bemoan "puke" football a la Pat Spillane, as opposed to doing what they're supposed to be doing - recognising change and adapting to it - Just like Jim McGuinness did when he perfected defensive play, and Eamonn Fitmaurice did when he recosnised that his team needed to change their tactics to win. The result is a more versatile, and talented, Kerry team - just like Donegal were a better team when they adapted to a defensive style of play.

Donegal played a wonderful attacking game against Dublin, (more adaptation!) while maintaining their defences. That didn't work for them on Sunday.
    So be it. It's disappointing, but I'm sure they'll analyze it, learn from it - and come back an even more versatile team next year. That's to the teams benefit, the game and the fans benefit, and ultimately, the benefit of any other team who want to improve their game.
    Should any teams not improve their versatility - that is their choice. It is not the responsibility of the Donegal team how other teams choose to play.
    Their responsibility is to adapt, as required.
    Here's hoping for another great year next year!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    One other thing from Sunday, the minors. I was hugely impressed with some of the lads over the two games I saw the play in Croker. Gillespie, McClenaghan and Mulligan at the back were outstanding, as was McBrearty and Campbell up front and what is really promising is the fact that we had players from all over the county represented on the team which hasn't always happened at minor level. I think a few of these lads will go on to be valuable additions to the senior team over the coming years.

Some baffling changes on the line on Sunday too it has to be said.

But there are some outstanding footballers there. Stephen McBrearty should be in with the seniors next year for me.

10442543_1529980603883004_5094962765965939387_n.jpg?oh=61abbba31d17bb8aa22e080c7ac4b17d&oe=54C91DDB&__gda__=1418669282_b68667407b1ef5b166d1291fce2aae6c

A picture says a thousand words. Gutted for the lads. Championship to focus on now at least get them back to their own for a while.

Durcan looked in bits too, really feel for the big man. Still time is a great healer and I'm sure this year will only fuel the hunger to go one better next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its sad to look at that photo of Michael Murphy, I wonder how great he could play if he was released from the shackles of 'the sytsem'.

I think we are not seeing the best of him.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its sad to look at that photo of Michael Murphy, I wonder how great he could play if he was released from the shackles of 'the sytsem'.

He is for my money the best we've ever had. I'm happy with how he is used to benefit the rest of the team. I'm certain he is too.

The fact he is ridiculously brilliant irrespective of where he plays is testament too him. Murphy and his influence all over the pitch is key for us. He is irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

NIMAN wrote: »

You might see a somewhat improved Murphy but a vastly inferior team as a whole imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I just watched the game again and I have to say, it was incredibly tight. Decisions Donegal would have gotten correct in previous games didn't come off. If Jigger had struck the ball off the ground instead of picking it up he might have had more time to place it better, and Lacey missed a hand-off to McLoone who would've been straight through on goal and we all know how accurate he is in front of the net. All ifs and buts of course.

I feel for the lads because it really must have been a frustrating loss.

If we manage to unearth a midfield powerhouse over the next year, Murphy can go back into the edge of the square. We are too light around the middle so he (happily) plays the role that is needed. He is an absolute beast no matter where he plays but, despite what he brings to the table out the field, I also feel he is wasted by not playing further forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 finton

Hi Folks,

From Kerry and was at the match and must say ye were the nicest bunch of opposition supporters I've ever encountered.
    I'm not just saying that because we won, throughout the game when it was anyones to win ye were as friendly as hell and not once during or afterwards was there any bad vibes.
    I felt for ye afterwards, especially for Durcan, terrible luck, and I know that rotten feeling after your team has lost an all Ireland.
    Never fear, ye will be back, ye are a scary side going forward, and I didn't feel safe until the final whistle went.

Advertisement