Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

finton wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

From Kerry and was at the match and must say ye were the nicest bunch of opposition supporters I've ever encountered.
    I'm not just saying that because we won, throughout the game when it was anyones to win ye were as friendly as hell and not once during or afterwards was there any bad vibes.
    I felt for ye afterwards, especially for Durcan, terrible luck, and I know that rotten feeling after your team has lost an all Ireland.
    Never fear, ye will be back, ye are a scary side going forward, and I didn't feel safe until the final whistle went.

Thanks. Had a good natter with the Kerry folk around us at half time and after the game, congratulations and commiserations offered. A good natured bunch. I was glad there was no ****e after the game. The carry-on from Mayo in 2012 was a disgrace and I hoped that we would be better than that in defeat, maybe if we lost 6 on the bounce we may not be as sportsmanlike but hopefully we'll never have to find out.

With respect though you know that feeling having lost better than most but that's tempered with a tradition and prowess that ensures you are never too far away from your next one. I fear that this has left us in tatters. Waiting for the busses last night it was like being outside a church at a removal waiting for the hearse. It's just really, really sad. Not even about the football for me, an All Ireland, if that makes sense. Can't even quantify it in words.

Championship on the weekend. Be grand once a balls thrown in for that. I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Some baffling changes on the line on Sunday too it has to be said.

But there are some outstanding footballers there. Stephen McBrearty should be in with the seniors next year for me.

Have to agree. Wasn't young Harley put on and then taken off? Thought he set up a goal and scored a great point under pressure? They had the more chances mind you to beat Kerry than the seniors.

Mc Clenaghan made some great breaks in the second half. Thought that the Inishowen boys did particularily well. Just wondering how many of the team has played McGrory Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Fitzmaurice was with Kerry in 2013.

Silly of me.:cool:

Have to agree. Wasn't young Harley put on and then taken off? Thought he set up a goal and scored a great point under pressure? They had the more chances mind you to beat Kerry than the seniors.

Mc Clenaghan made some great breaks in the second half. Thought that the Inishowen boys did particularily well. Just wondering how many of the team has played McGrory Cup?

That was the strangest of the lot. He'd started to give them a foothold into it somewhat and was hooked after 10 minutes. Audible groans at that one.

Spillane started to come into it more late on. Was Kelly on him previous to that? Think it was McMenammin on him later in the day and he struggled massively.

That McClenaghan is a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Was it the case that Donegal players did not perform on the day or were they just not let perform to the way they did against Dublin by the way Kerry set-up and played?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Glenman wrote: »
    Was it the case that Donegal players did not perform on the day or were they just not let perform to the way they did against Dublin by the way Kerry set-up and played?

I think a lot of it came down to their own performance. It was less about a Kerry win imo. Given that the game was ultimately decided by a couple of awful Donegal errors.

Kerry played well but there was a major gap in our performance level which was unforced. That's the biggest disappointment. It wasn't like the Monaghan game last year for example where we were off par but were terrorised from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Suppose a bit of both-even in the first half against Dublin Donegal players were takin shots from 40 yards with absolutely no pressure on the ball. Kerry were seriously aggressive in their tackling and marking from start to finish. We ll never know how much that contributed to Donegal players struggling- my guess is alot.

harpsman wrote: »
    Suppose a bit of both-even in the first half against Dublin Donegal players were takin shots from 40 yards with absolutely no pressure on the ball. Kerry were seriously aggressive in their tackling and marking from start to finish. We ll never know how much that contributed to Donegal players struggling- my guess is alot.

Not to a point that would have surprised us, caused us grief or upset us.

Not to a point that would have surprised us, caused us grief or upset us.
    Well it certainly caused us grief, its much harder to play against a team that defend aggressively and in numbers-just ask anyone whos played Donegal at their best! But Kerry were able to pressure the ball much further up the field than us as which meant at times even when we took short kickouts we couldnt get the ball beyond half way.

But I agree it didnt surprise us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 finton

Thanks. Had a good natter with the Kerry folk around us at half time and after the game, congratulations and commiserations offered. A good natured bunch. I was glad there was no ****e after the game. The carry-on from Mayo in 2012 was a disgrace and I hoped that we would be better than that in defeat, maybe if we lost 6 on the bounce we may not be as sportsmanlike but hopefully we'll never have to find out.

With respect though you know that feeling having lost better than most but that's tempered with a tradition and prowess that ensures you are never too far away from your next one. I fear that this has left us in tatters. Waiting for the busses last night it was like being outside a church at a removal waiting for the hearse. It's just really, really sad. Not even about the football for me, an All Ireland, if that makes sense. Can't even quantify it in words.

Championship on the weekend. Be grand once a balls thrown in for that. I hope.

Yes, true, but as you say, once championship kicks off again things are quickly forgotten, a few wins and its up for grabs again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was hoping Donegal would win. Unfortunately they didn't perform. It is only a teeny weeny consolation, but by not winning two All-Irelands in three years there will be no calls for Donegal to be split in two and for them not to be allowed to play games in Croke Park. I am sure they will be back playing there next year.

10675726_10152514568408197_4487028959667678366_n.jpg?oh=f51edf261bba7283f840cbe5c3199fb7&oe=5488304E

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Great picture. Every time I see that chance, for some reason I expect McFadden to score.

Smartguy wrote: »
    Great picture. Every time I see that chance, for some reason I expect McFadden to score.

Not after the summer he's had! Surprised he even got onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

He really should have.:(

He really should have.:(

To be fair, it took an awkward cúnt of a bounce. At least he was there in the area. One suspects that's why he was left on.

McBrearty had Brick free too. Can't blame him for shooting.

Urgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

To be fair, it took an awkward cúnt of a bounce. At least he was there in the area. One suspects that's why he was left on.

McBrearty had Brick free too. Can't blame him for shooting.

Urgh.
    And a few minutes before that when Neil was steaming forward (think it was the lead up to Toye's point off his left foot), he shoulda passed left instead of going right.:(

I'm happy that in the parallel world of ifs, buts and maybes, we won by 15 points:D:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Flukey wrote: »
    I was hoping Donegal would win. Unfortunately they didn't perform. It is only a teeny weeny consolation, but by not winning two All-Irelands in three years there will be no calls for Donegal to be split in two and for them not to be allowed to play games in Croke Park. I am sure they will be back playing there next year.

What does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What does this mean?

Dublin persecution complex methinks.

Bit like there was noting wrong with Leinster up to a month ago, now it needs a round robin for the "weaker" counties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

God from that angle it looks a bit easier than i remembered-not sayin it was easy obviously but it was a decent chance. As last person said u still wouldnt fancy Colm after the Summer hes had. He really did nothng all summer to give you any hope he would hit form,and Id include the semi in that. Funny thing is i thought he looked ok during the league.

Ps anyone got a couple of spare tickets for the hurling tomorrow-long shot i know:rolleyes:

Right then.

Senior Championship:

St Michaels 4-10 Bundoran 0-06.

Naomh Conaill 0-12 Naomh Mhuire 0-10

Killybegs 1-05 Gweedore 1-05

McCumhaills 0-13 Glenfin 0-08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Right then.

Senior Championship:

St Michaels 4-10 Bundoran 0-06.

Naomh Conaill 0-12 Naomh Mhuire 0-10

Killybegs 1-05 Gweedore 1-05

McCumhaills 0-13 Glenfin 0-08.

Wasnt up this weekend so out of touch but heard Toye got 2. Any word on how Colm played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

SM746 wrote: »
    Wasnt up this weekend so out of touch but heard Toye got 2. Any word on how Colm played?

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/09/27/st-michaels-deliver-outstanding-performance-to-power-past-bundoran/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

http://donegalgaa.ie/fixtures-results/

Weekends results for anyone who is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Kilcar beating Glenswilly was the big result. Will be interesting to see St Michaels vs Kilcar next week.

Eunans and Glenties look that they'll make it through easy enough, both should win next week so the final game won't matter much.

McCools have a great chance of getting through in group 2 since they have both Ardara and Four Masters at home.

Hard to know yet with group 3, Hanlon didn't play for Dungloe but they won easily enough. Gweedore will surely get better, having Dungloe at home next will surely focus their minds.

Kilcar beating Glenswilly was the big result. Will be interesting to see St Michaels vs Kilcar next week.

Huge result for the towney men. They were well off Glenswilly last year in the semi final for my money.

Interesting group that.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Huge result for the towney men. They were well off Glenswilly last year in the semi final for my money.

Interesting group that.

You'd think Kilcar should get through easy enough with two home games left. I was worried that they'd be a bit light for championship football at this time of year.

Glenswilly have St Michaels at home in the last game so that could swing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Advertisement

He's gone.

Devastated.

Advertisement