Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Bit of a hit to take in fairness but can ya be surprised? He's over at Celtic 5 days a week now and with the family, he had no time. I think he'll be back one day though. Lets just hope that the board don't fall back into old ways and can continue the good work Jimmy has done in his tenure and make sure Donegal is a force for years to come.

Thanks again Jimmy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

+1. Great 4 years and has gven so much hmself as well as the players. From a legacy pont of view he was wse to stand down as close to the top as possible with a close to perfect record.

Unfortunately even had Jim stayed we ve probably seen the best of most of the guys on the team, and theres not a huge amount of guys at that level to take over.

Anyway, we move on. Hopefully the new guy is half as good and can get close to the same level of commitment nfrom the players and we can contnue to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Balls...was sure he'd stay on til he won another one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

He's gone.

Devastated.
    Never a man for the understatements Nidge:cool:

Im sure we ll get through it somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

4 great years.
    will let Luke kelly take it from here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrKZ0WGd5M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

obviously early days, but favourites to replace him??

Big blow, but you do have some good young players to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

Fireball07 wrote: »
    obviously early days, but favourites to replace him??

Big blow, but you do have some good young players to come through.

Bonner and Rory Gallagher would be favourites I'd have thought. Really hope Gallagher gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'll reply to this tomorrow when I've sorted my head out.

No shame in saying this has upset me tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Any indication on McGuinness' next move, lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Love if he came to Cork but will never happen. Great manager and an inspiration to us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nib wrote: »

He's already got his next move, been doing it for a couple of years at Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Fulltime at Celtic I'd guess. He has moved to assisting with the senior squad from the start of the season so looks like he is well thought of there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Full time in Glasgow since the start of the season and doing his UEFA coaching badges so he can officially coach/manage teams at the club so i've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pilatus

God dam it :-/ Was pretty sure he'd give it one last go, what a shame :-( Could be another 20 years until we land another all Ireland :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Martin McHugh for Donegal Job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Balls. Was feeling good about our League this year too. Big big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

Ya have to hand it to jummy - he definitely got the best from an average bunch of players. The system of blanket defence he developed finally got found out by the cuties in Kerry but they had a fairly decent run

DK man wrote: »
    Ya have to hand it to jummy - he definitely got the best from an average bunch of players. The system of blanket defence he developed finally got found out by the cuties in Kerry but they had a fairly decent run

I was always told if you don't know what you're talking about it's best not embarrass yourself.

You would do well to heed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

DK man wrote: »

12 All stars amongst that group of players in the last 4 years. Some stat for an average bunch.

Nothing was "found out" by Kerry. One team played marginally better than another in a once off fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

A couple players will follow.

End of an era, but what an era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Great manager for Donegal, did yis proud, proved everyone wrong on many occasions, good luck to jim in his new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You guys have lost a fantastic manager,shall be very hard to replace.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

This is a huge loss for Donegal and GAA in general. He moved the game on 20 years during his tenure. I really hope Donegal don't ' end up in transition for a decade after this.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

This is more than just about football too, those outside Donegal won't understand.

What that man has done for our county is incalculable. We're having a tough time above as a lot are but it's especially bad with us. He's come in and dragged the county up by the scruff of the neck and made us feel like we were 10 feet tall, given us something to be proud about and rock in behind.

He loved Donegal and Donegal loved him for that.

This is probably the darkest day in the history of GAA in Donegal. Feel very sad this morning but thankful to have been around for the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How much of the 2012 "system" was Gallagher's and how much as as Jimmy's, if such a breakdown is even possible ?.

Gallagher is the obvious choice to replace him I'm sure, so if he was the brains behind the football they may still be very competitive.

Jimmy obviously provided a lot of the drive and physco. stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Gutted but fully respect his decision. I fear that we may have more than just a couple retiring as a result. Eamonn McGee has already stated his intention to retire if Jim went so along with Colm Anthony, big Neil, Rory and possibly Karl we could be facing a massive loss from the squad. Still for now I think we should respect Jims decision and put on record our heartfelt thanks for what has been an amazing 4 years and hopefully the county board will take time to make the right decision on the new man - and do it in the right fashion - we don't want a mess like the Mayo situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This is more than just about football too, those outside Donegal won't understand.

What that man has done for our county is incalculable. We're having a tough time above as a lot are but it's especially bad with us. He's come in and dragged the county up by the scruff of the neck and made us feel like we were 10 feet tall, given us something to be proud about and rock in behind.

He loved Donegal and Donegal loved him for that.

This is probably the darkest day in the history of GAA in Donegal. Feel very sad this morning but thankful to have been around for the past few years.

This is like the feeling after the Kerry game, such a hollow feeling.

He will never get the credit he deserves from outside the county but what he has done for GAA in Donegal and for the county in general cannot be overstated. The last five years have been a wonderful experience. He has laid foundations which hopefully will be built upon to keep us at the top table.

There has always been talent in Donegal but Jim has brought purpose and structure to equation. The players now know what to expect from a successful set up and the disappointment of two weeks ago will be the driving force for those who remain on.

We can expect Michael Murphy to play a major leadership role as things evolve. He will rally the players and I would expect him to persuade a number of those who are having doubts to stay on.

Personally I hope that the next appointment does not come from the previous backroom team. There is too much baggage there.

Jim will never be able to fully appreciate what he has done for the people of Donegal. That in itself is testimony to his legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How much of the 2012 "system" was Gallagher's and how much as as Jimmy's, if such a breakdown is even possible ?.

Gallagher is the obvious choice to replace him I'm sure, so if he was the brains behind the football they may still be very competitive.

Jimmy obviously provided a lot of the drive and physco. stuff.

Not a clue.

Advertisement