Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Does anyone in Donegal refer to Jim as 'Jimmy'? Or is it just a thing people from outside the county insist on?

Three wins from four finals in Ulster and an All Ireland (and it could've been two). That's an absolutely preposterous record. It just seemed automatic with Jim but that's a ridiculous record for 4 seasons.

I saw Eamon McGee post this on twitter: https://twitter.com/EamonMcGee/status/518327542961696768 and that's pretty much the attitude that existed, even among the players I'd guess. I'm about old enough to remember going to Croke Park in 2004 to watch Armagh pummel Donegal in the Ulster final. What a difference between that and being there to witness Donegal beat Mayo in the All Ireland final.

One player more than any that I'd be sad to see go would be Christy Toye. I remember way back after he scored that goal against Armagh, he was coaching at a Summer camp and I could barely kick the ball straight with the pressure of him watching. He's a hell of a footballer who has battled through some hugely challenging injuries and it was great to see him enjoy success along with the other players who benefited so much from Jim's management and guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

As gutted as I am that he is gone, it really was inevitable that he would go. It was always highly unlikely that he would stay on for just one more year given how he likes to meticulously plan ahead and it was just as unlikely that he would commit to staying for another 3/4 years given his own career path.

Just imagine how different life may have been for both himself personally and Donegal GAA if he got the job when he first wanted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/225409?county=National

Interesting developments await from next week on.

Learn some new things every day from the small number but pretty vocal begrudgers of Jim I'm seeing popping up today on social media, etc:
    1. He apparently invented defensive football and today is the end of it.
    2. A total unwillingness to acknowledge the immense achievements he has brought to our often forgotten county.

My views - greatest Donegal person in my lifetime for his contribution to Donegal; not just in GAA terms but in the way he changed our whole psyche and brought us onto the national stage in a much more prominent way than I had personally seen before. He got people talking about us.

I really hope he goes on to success with Celtic and I pray we see him back in 8/10 years to start the whole process again.

My thoughts on the management - genuinely no idea. I know Rory and I'd have no qualms about him getting his chance at it and if Kilcar do what I expect them to do then it will be hard to overlook him if the decision is held off until end of Club championship.

I'd like to see Declan carry on to the 21s and maybe progress a few of these minor guys through the ranks to the seniors like Jim did. Bonner seems to have bought into the Jim philosophy so I wudn be concerned if it was him up next either.

If I had to pick and this might surprise people I'd go with Rory with McHugh involved too and I viewed his move back into management as a stepping stone to Dgl involvement a few years down the line - maybe involvement will come sooner?

A sad day for Donegal GAA and the views of the players which have appeared today show how much Jim meant to them. Des Cahills tweet and Eamon McGees 'God Almighty' tweet sum it all up for me. Our version of God Almighty did appear for us and what a brilliant rollercoaster he brought us on.

All the best Jim and hopefully we see you back following the team as a supporter many times next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Sad day and a huge blow for us but the day was going to come sometime. He owes Donegal football nothing, what he has done for the County is incredible. I don't think its the last we have heard of him involved with intercounty management and hope to see him back someday. Not really sure who I want for the job yet to be honest. Hopefully with the right choice and with the work that has been done we can still be a competitive force for a few years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Will be fierce tough to push on from that. I hope ye do though.

Watching Donegal over the last 4 years has been a pleasure.

Thanks Jim for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

SM746 wrote: »

My views - greatest Donegal person in my lifetime for his contribution to Donegal;

Out on his own for me. Nobody anywhere close to him.

He is an incredible person and we're lucky to have him associated with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Out on his own for me. Nobody anywhere close to him.

He is an incredible person and we're lucky to have him associated with us.

Ah come on.
    When they write the history of modern Donegal Daniel will be top.

One player more than any that I'd be sad to see go would be Christy Toye. I remember way back after he scored that goal against Armagh, he was coaching at a Summer camp and I could barely kick the ball straight with the pressure of him watching. He's a hell of a footballer who has battled through some hugely challenging injuries and it was great to see him enjoy success along with the other players who benefited so much from Jim's management and guidance.

Christy is one of my favourite ever Donegal players. He was thrilling to watch when he broke onto the senior team (Over 12 years ago now) A tremendous ball carrier and his rawness and physicality was great. Always a cute boy for a big score and while I was overjoyed for every single one of them in 2012 I was especially glad for Christy having soldiered longer than all of them and having the other things to deal with in his personal life. I was in Ballybofey in 2009 when he was taking off by Ambulance and you feared for him. Great to see him back this year especially too contributing as you know he can and having a real say in getting us to another all ireland.

One of our all time greats for me. I will be hugely sad to see him go.

Ah come on.

Has had zero impact on my life or that of anyone I know.

A great ambassador for the county, a massive success in his own field and a really great guy no doubt.

McGuinness could have had the county take up arms behind him such was his aura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Nothing quite like sport to inspire someone to exaggerate any given situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Does anyone in Donegal refer to Jim as 'Jimmy'? Or is it just a thing people from outside the county insist on?

There's this song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

pilatus wrote: »
    God dam it :-/ Was pretty sure he'd give it one last go, what a shame :-( Could be another 20 years until we land another all Ireland :-/

:eek: I'd have more faith in the players than that, tbh.
    I'm not taking anything away from Jim by saying that - he's given us a great couple of years - but the players did the actual legwork on the field, and I don't think we should forget that, either.

Having said that, there's no question that Jim is a big loss.

Best of luck in the future, Jim - here's hoping you'll come back to us some day, when the time is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

Has had zero impact on my life or that of anyone I know.
    be glad, I seen him perform when i worked in harveys point, scarred for life! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Christy is one of my favourite ever Donegal players. He was thrilling to watch when he broke onto the senior team (Over 12 years ago now) A tremendous ball carrier and his rawness and physicality was great. Always a cute boy for a big score and while I was overjoyed for every single one of them in 2012 I was especially glad for Christy having soldiered longer than all of them and having the other things to deal with in his personal life. I was in Ballybofey in 2009 when he was taking off by Ambulance and you feared for him. Great to see him back this year especially too contributing as you know he can and having a real say in getting us to another all ireland.

One of our all time greats for me. I will be hugely sad to see him go.

He was the difference in the SF against us. The game completely turned when he came on. Wonderful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

wow glenswilly back with a bang this week 6-15 to 9pts!
    i know bundoran wouldnt be near the sharp end but still!

overshoot wrote: »
    wow glenswilly back with a bang this week 6-15 to 9pts!
    i know bundoran wouldnt be near the sharp end but still!

Fair to say McEniff's not in the running for the Donegal job after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I'm not a donegal man but admired what Jim McGuinness did for the county over the last cuple of yrs. I always had a sneakin feelin that Jim might finish up this year even if Donegal won the All Ireland. It must be very tuff being Donegal manager and den takin on additional responsibilities at Celtic. He mite just see better long term opportunities at Celtic. Big shoes to fill for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

A big loss for Donegal, but like Mayo and Horan, he has left behind a great set up and most importantly of all, players with belief they can challenge for an All-Ireland every year. I don't think Donegal will do too badly next year no matter who comes in. McGuinness would be the first to admit no person is bigger than the team, not even him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ah come on.

Ironic to have a Mayo man attempting to troll when you consider the Mayo person who has shown the most balls is Grainne Mhaoil.

http://donegalgaa.ie/fixtures-results/

Update on this weekend's action. A shape beginning to develop to the groups now. Kilcar/Glenswilly/Michaels ever bit as tight and tense as we expected it to be.
    I heard Dungloe left the game behind them up in Gweedore this evening; Gweedore not firing as powerfully as I personally thought they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

SM746 wrote: »
    http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/225409?county=National

Interesting developments await from next week on.

Learn some new things every day from the small number but pretty vocal begrudgers of Jim I'm seeing popping up today on social media, etc:
    1. He apparently invented defensive football and today is the end of it.
    2. A total unwillingness to acknowledge the immense achievements he has brought to our often forgotten county.

My views - greatest Donegal person in my lifetime for his contribution to Donegal; not just in GAA terms but in the way he changed our whole psyche and brought us onto the national stage in a much more prominent way than I had personally seen before. He got people talking about us.

I really hope he goes on to success with Celtic and I pray we see him back in 8/10 years to start the whole process again.

My thoughts on the management - genuinely no idea. I know Rory and I'd have no qualms about him getting his chance at it and if Kilcar do what I expect them to do then it will be hard to overlook him if the decision is held off until end of Club championship.

I'd like to see Declan carry on to the 21s and maybe progress a few of these minor guys through the ranks to the seniors like Jim did. Bonner seems to have bought into the Jim philosophy so I wudn be concerned if it was him up next either.

If I had to pick and this might surprise people I'd go with Rory with McHugh involved too and I viewed his move back into management as a stepping stone to Dgl involvement a few years down the line - maybe involvement will come sooner?

A sad day for Donegal GAA and the views of the players which have appeared today show how much Jim meant to them. Des Cahills tweet and Eamon McGees 'God Almighty' tweet sum it all up for me. Our version of God Almighty did appear for us and what a brilliant rollercoaster he brought us on.

All the best Jim and hopefully we see you back following the team as a supporter many times next year.
    And an absolute gent to boot. That night we were at the gig in the Harcourt i spoke to him and briefly and thanked him for all hed done for the county-Im sure hes had his fill of drunk(ish) people telling him that but he was so friendly and patient with everyone talkng and taking photos.

Im glad Jim had such a great year to finish even if t had a disappointing end because there were alot of people around the country-particularly ex players in the media who were dyin to stick the knife in had he failed this year. I think now s defintely the right tme for him to call t a day-I think it would be unlikely that we would do any better next year and could do alot worse with players pushing on and maybe a few injuries. t would be sad to see his tenure end in some backwater in the qualifiers.

As you say hope he does well in his career-doing coaching badges at monent.

Dont know if Martin would be interested in getting invlolved particularly with the 2 sons in the set up.

Ah come on.
    Nah-John McNulty.Being a Kilkar man he mght be Rorys assistant.

WRT to Gallagher being behnd the system its unlikely given that Jim was using it in Glenties years ago and did ok this year w/o Gallagher.

Still think hes probably only viable replacement but Id be worried that he may be a bit of a Brian Kidd.

Anyway hope we make a better job of the selecton than you boys did-hows that going down? Im barred from the Mayo forum:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Very sad to see Jim go but I understand his decision given his Celtic commitments and family commitments. A great few years for Donegal football and I hope that the county team can drive on from here and stay at the top table and hope we don't return to the under achieving years of the 90ies and 00ies. My first experience of Jim was way back in 1993 or 1994 when he was assistant to Leo McLoone senior with the Naomh Conaill U12 team. He always had a great love for his own club and county and has given us memories which will last a lifetime. And loved his duet with Daniel. One of the best nights ever in Donegal town. Goodluck Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V581Otb3VI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Some money going on James Horan to be your next manager, odds slashed from 20's into 4/1 on PP. I presume there is nothing in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Some money going on James Horan to be your next manager, odds slashed from 20's into 4/1 on PP. I presume there is nothing in it?

Nothing more than people with money and a gambling habit imho. I see some punter put €1K on Damien Diver being the next manager at the weekend. I think Damien is a great lad but very much doubt this was a wise bet - some people just can't help having a gamble! I expect plenty of this type of thing over the coming weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I got a press release from Boyle's a few minutes ago about how they had taken a lot of action on Horan and had him baked all the way in from 33s to 11/4.

They make a big fuss of the fact that a Horan appointment would be the worst possible result for them based then release a press release which appears to be trying to get more people to back him.

Essentially what they're saying about his current odds is that if you put €20 on Horan, you lose €20.

Lol. With rory gallagher as no 2 and kieran shannon mind coach. The dream team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

If James Horan gets appointed it'll be written in the stars that we reach an All Ireland final....where we'll play Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If James Horan gets appointed it'll be written in the stars that we reach an All Ireland final....where we'll play Mayo.

It would be some crack if Horan ended up in Donegal.
    Really doubt it would happen but would love to see it for the click bait factor alone.

• Advertisement

It would be some crack if Horan ended up in Donegal.
    Really doubt it would happen but would love to see it for the click bait factor alone.

How would you rate him Tod?

Cannot see it happening under any circumstances. Dont know how I would feel if it did.

Advertisement