Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

7 really tough games to win Sam next year and 4 to win Ulster! I wouldn't fancy any team in the country to win all those games. I think the back-door would be a lot easier so lets just give Tyrone the walk over now.

Add in the injuries and suspension coming through Ulster this year and we'll need to get a really nice draw in the quarter finals to stand any chance.

I just can't get over that draw, just horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Any thoughts on Cassidy's comments in Gaelic Life?
    “I do feel that decisions and stances he took denied Donegal the opportunity to win one if not two more All Ireland’s,” said Cassidy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Cassidy's comments in Gaelic Life?

I like Cass a lot and he is a good guy but He's talking total fúcking garbage there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I like Cass a lot and he is a good guy but He's talking total fúcking garbage there.

I do think he went over the top in saying that he cost Donegal silverware but I do think there is some legitimacy in what he said, but he would probably have been better off letting someone else to say it.

No manager is perfect, and I think the praise of McGuinness has gotten has gone a bit overboard - from some of the stuff you'd swear the reason he was off to Scotland was to get revenge for Fionn McCool.

Any word on the new manager situation? Anyone actually declared an interest in the job or anything mad like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I don't really see where Cass reckons these other All Irelands would have come from. I don't think we were good enough in 2011 simply put. Does he think a few different decisions would have changed the outcome v Mayo in 2013? As for this year. Its hard to know. I haven't brought myself to rewatch the game but from the feeling there at the match most fans of either side felt it was just (one of many) Kerry's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Every media outlet is looking for the next Joe Brolly who will drive traffic to their site. What a lot of these pretenders to the "devils advocate" throne don't seem to realise is that there is a certain level of intelligence required to perfect the role. Its not all simply about throwing out a big statement that makes a cute headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Every time cass talks about Jim he let's himself down. He'd be better off concentrating on his own job at Gaoth Dobhair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

In fairness the column goes on to praise Jim. He says that he's one of a kind and irreplaceable or words to that effect.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I do think he went over the top in saying that he cost Donegal silverware but I do think there is some legitimacy in what he said, but he would probably have been better off letting someone else to say it.

No manager is perfect, and I think the praise of McGuinness has gotten has gone a bit overboard - from some of the stuff you'd swear the reason he was off to Scotland was to get revenge for Fionn McCool.

Any word on the new manager situation? Anyone actually declared an interest in the job or anything mad like that?

There is absolutely no legitimacy in anything he has said on that topic. He is so wrong it's pathetic and having read it again I'm actually embarrassed for the guy.

Break it down for a quick second, not that I should need too.
    Jim McGuinness was in charge for four seasons.

2011-Ulster champions. AI Semi final. Very much a work in progress having come from nowhere.

2012- Ulster champions. All Ireland winners.

2013- Ulster finalists. Quarter finalists. Ravaged by Injury, team not fully prepared.

2014- And this is where he's talking the ost bollocks, the 'fall outs' with Rory Gallagher and McHugh, and these 'fall outs' damaged our chances of winning another few all irelands?

He refreshed the management team and MMH left of his own accord. No fall out.

Ulster Champions and All Ireland Finalists beating the unbackable favourites in a semi. Didn't perform in the final on the day and yet were within an inch of getting a replay.

Fúck McGuinness and his tunnel vision anyway.:mad:

Here's another embarassing snippet from Cassidy.
    Eamonn Fitzmaurice has done a fantastic job since his appointment; he is without doubt a tactical genius and the best manager in the game by a country mile. When you compare him to Jim Gavin who really had one plan which was all out attack or to Jim McGuinness who had one plan of all out defence, Fitzmaurice is streets ahead. For every game in this year’s championship he changed tactics based on the opposition with such little time to do so between games.

:rolleyes:

If that's his level of insight I would worry for gweedore in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Completely agree, even think he does Jim Gavin a disservice there, against Monaghan in the early stages Dublin repeatedly pulled 12 men back before they got the goals and were out of sight... Not that anyone down the country would acknowledge it. They actually did go out and win matches before launching their much vaunted all out attack... Of course against Leinster teams and a tired Monaghan it didn't take long.

Donegal were in the dubs heads, they felt that had to blow us away and that was their downfall. jim didn't just take them down tactically, he broke them mentally, long before the match as shown by Brollys repeated pieces where dubs were coming up, 'we would have won in 2012'. By the end they couldn't even score from 20yards and were throwing so many men forward they didn't know where to go and played into our hands. Under jim, every Donegal player knew what to do whether attacking, defending, with or without the ball. Its a level of detail his replacement is going to find impossible to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

What's the word up home about the new manager? Any rumours? Although the bookies have Rory clearly out in front at 2/9, 1/5ish I've heard nothing to say he wants the job.

SM746 wrote: »
    What's the word up home about the new manager? Any rumours? Although the bookies have Rory clearly out in front at 2/9, 1/5ish I've heard nothing to say he wants the job.

Nothing to say he doesn't want it either.....

I've heard nothing but I'm away.

Glenswilly and Michaels through.
    Kilcar out on scoring average I think of 2 pts - beat Bundoran 5-15 to 0-3.

Mate at Glen game said it was one of the worst he has seen in years; 1-4 to 1-2 I think it ended up.

Yea took a trip up. Dreadful. Glen got a point 1pts in the first half, st.michaels didn't score in the second.
    Would remind you of the AI final as a spectical. St. Michaels just didn't seem to chase it at when behind

Bundoran equipped themselves well. Read their reserves forfeited the game. In the absence of further information I'm not going to judge but that's a poor one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Did Glenswilly only need to win by 2 and both them & St Michaels were through irrespective of what Kilcar done?

Did Glenswilly only need to win by 2 and both them & St Michaels were through irrespective of what Kilcar done?

I was talking about this earlier. Did Kilcar miss out on points difference or what?

Because Head to Head is a 3 way isn't it?

Kilcar beat Glenswilly

Glenswilly beat St Michaels

St Michaels beat Kilcar.

The answer I suspect is probably fairly obvious too. And just as an aside. Now Kilcar are out that frees up Rory Gallagher doesn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

When there is a two way tie, head to head decides who goes through.

As it was a three way tie, it was points difference and points scored.

Kilcar lost out on scoring difference.

Glenswilly 46/23 +23
    Michaels 41/18 +23
    Kilcar 44/23 +21

Colm McFadden missed a late free (may have been the last kick as far as I remember) that I guess would have put Michaels ahead of Glenswilly. As far was I know, it's 1 v 2 in the Quarter Finals (i.e group winners are seeded).

Four Masters finished top of Group 2 ahead of Ardara and so they will be seeded as well.

Eunans and Naomh Conaill are through, whoever wins today is seeded. A draw would do Eunans as they have a much better scoring difference.

All to play for in Group 3 where all four teams have a shot to go through.

Draw for Quarter Finals (next weekend) will be held after the Junior A Final.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    When there is a two way tie, head to head decides who goes through.

As it was a three way tie, it was points difference and points scored.

Kilcar lost out on scoring difference.

Glenswilly 46/23 +23
    Michaels 41/18 +23
    Kilcar 44/23 +21

Colm McFadden missed a late free (may have been the last kick as far as I remember) that I guess would have put Michaels ahead of Glenswilly. As far was I know, it's 1 v 2 in the Quarter Finals (i.e group winners are seeded).

Four Masters finished top of Group 2 ahead of Ardara and so they will be seeded as well.

Eunans and Naomh Conaill are through, whoever wins today is seeded. A draw would do Eunans as they have a much better scoring difference.

All to play for in Group 3 where all four teams have a shot to go through.

Draw for Quarter Finals (next weekend) will be held after the Junior A Final.

Good to have you back RSF.

Looking at the line ups posted on Twitter from Glenties, Eunans look like they are content to qualify in 2nd place.

• Advertisement

Wow, Termon beat Gweedore. Anyone know who manages Gweedore?

Teams through as group winners:
    Naomh Conaill
    Four Masters
    Dungloe
    Glenswilly

Through as runners up:
    St Eunans
    Ardara
    Termon
    St Michaels

That gave me a bigger laugh that it should have!

Potentially a few great games in there... Then again I though yesterdays glen/michaels game would be good

See Donegal updates saying mchugh got ypoty, havnt seen it anywhere else yet though.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Wow, Termon beat Gweedore. Anyone know who manages Gweedore?

Teams through as group winners:
    Naomh Conaill
    Four Masters
    Dungloe
    Glenswilly

Through as runners up:
    St Eunans
    Ardara
    Termon
    St Michaels

After a certain article written by a certain player manager during the week; I must say I am not dissapointted to see Gweedore out.
    Draw at 730

overshoot wrote: »
    That gave me a bigger laugh that it should have!

Potentially a few great games in there... Then again I though yesterdays glen/michaels game would be good

See Donegal updates saying mchugh got ypoty, havnt seen it anywhere else yet though.

Seen that; was looking for more information but none to be found. It's the least he deserves in fairness to him.

Just a reminder that group winners can't play the runners up from their own group.

Fully expecting to see Glenswilly v Eunans and Naomh Conaill v St Michaels in the QF draw....

Senior championship Q / F draw
    Glenswilly v Termon
    Dungloe V St Michaels
    Naomh Conaill V Ardara.
    Four Masters v St Eunans

Semi:
    Dungloe / Michaels vs Masters / Eunans
    GlenS / Termon vs Naomh C / Ardara

Just got texted that so I assume it's correct

Ha! That is a tasty looking draw

Glenswilly v Termon
    Naomh Conaill v Ardara
    St Eunans v Four Masters
    Dungloe v St Michaels

Semi Finals
    Glenswilly/Termon v Naomh Conaill/Ardara
    St Eunans/Four Masters v Dungloe/St Michaels

Relegation
    Killybegs v Bundoran
    Naomh Muire v Glenfin

Intermediate draw next week. Apparently there is a fixture to be fulfilled?

My first thoughts are that it's an exciting draw and is setting up the last 8 very nicely.

You would hope there will be one shock but it's hard to see where that will come from.

Hard to look past the Glen v Naomh Conaill and Eunans v St Michaels.

I'd like to see St Michaels win it but I don't think they will.

Intermediate draw next week. Apparently there is a fixture to be fulfilled?

Cloughaneely/Burt/St Nauls/Naomh Colmcille group has a round of games left to play. I'm guessing it's because of Burt's involvement in the hurling.
    My first thoughts are that it's an exciting draw and is setting up the last 8 very nicely.

You would hope there will be one shock but it's hard to see where that will come from.

Hard to look past the Glen v Naomh Conaill and Eunans v St Michaels.

I'd like to see St Michaels win it but I don't think they will.

Based on prior years, Ardara could upset Naomh Conaill but it seems unlikely this year. Hard to see past Glenswilly and St Michaels winning their ties. And Eunans have been motoring nicely in the Championship so should beat Four Masters.

Hard to know on St Michaels. Offered very little in the second half yesterday. I don't see enough club football to have much of a view on matters really. Was good to get to the game yesterday - only got to Semi Final and Final last year and probably won't make another game this year. Intense and absorbing if nothing else. Always interesting to see how county lads play in club matches.

• Advertisement

Fanad have nominated Paddy Carr for the vacant manager's role.

Underwhelming. Frankly I'd have hoped for better. If this is the category were after we are in bother.

Advertisement