Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Fanad Gaels have nominated Paddy Carr for the Donegal job. No idea yet if he interested.
    Paddy is a good manager but not sure if Donegal would fit him. Navan based so be huge commitment if he did somehow get it. Doubt he would be interested to be honest.
    Hard to look past Rory now if the media are to be believed.

Fanad have nominated Paddy Carr for the vacant manager's role.

Underwhelming. Frankly I'd have hoped for better. If this is the category were after we are in bother.

I actually rate him as a good manager. I do agree not what I would have expected or hoped for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

SM746 wrote: »
    I actually rate him as a good manager. I do agree not what I would have expected or hoped for though.

Bang average for me unfortunately. He would be a real coup for any of the top club teams in the county or the country for that matter. But for me now looking at this objectively and dispassionately he is not the answer for Donegal with where we are. We will never replace Jim and we should expect a tailing off but I don't want to accelerate matters or give anyone involved beit players fans or the county board a handy excuse.

I think Gallagher is the only one who can maintain the focus of the players on the basis that the top managers right now are going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fanad Gaels have nominated Paddy Carr for the Donegal job. No idea yet if he interested.
    Paddy is a good manager but not sure if Donegal would fit him. Navan based so be huge commitment if he did somehow get it. Doubt he would be interested to be honest.
    Hard to look past Rory now if the media are to be believed.

You'd have to think they'd surely got his approval before they put his name forward.

I had thought it was looking very much like Gallagher was going to get it unopposed with so many of the other likely candidates ruling themselves out.

Does he have any links to Donegal or anything? Seems very much out of left-field. I wonder if he maybe heard Gallagher wasn't going for it and decided to be quick off the mark.

The process by which inter-county managers get appointed in the GAA is possibly one of the most Irish things ever.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You'd have to think they'd surely got his approval before they put his name forward.

I had thought it was looking very much like Gallagher was going to get it unopposed with so many of the other likely candidates ruling themselves out.

Does he have any links to Donegal or anything? Seems very much out of left-field. I wonder if he maybe heard Gallagher wasn't going for it and decided to be quick off the mark.

The process by which inter-county managers get appointed in the GAA is possibly one of the most Irish things ever.

His parents are from fanad and he played for Donegal. Although not much.

• Advertisement

Jim is on the Saturday Night Show this Saturday.

Not expecting much as Brendan o Connor is an abysmal host/interviewer. It'll be very superficial but will be good to hear from Jim.

I'm hopeful that he may do an interview with Charlie Collins at some stage. Jim's an incredibly honest guy but Charlie always got that wee bit more out of him. The talking sport programs are on YouTube if anybody felt the urge to watch them. The one this year explaining what went wrong in 2013 is well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Under 21 draw made
    Quarter-finals, March 18: Tyrone v Fermanagh; Antrim v Armagh; Donegal v Cavan; Monaghan v Derry/Down

Semi-finals, April 1: Tyrone/Fermanagh v Antrim/Armagh; Donegal/Cavan v Monaghan/Derry/Down

Good to get a home draw anyway, we owe Cavan a bit of revenge at this level. Going on Minor form, you'd probably fancy Monaghan or Tyrone to win it but hopefully we can make it to another final.

Cathal Corey nominated by Glenties there tonight. Pretty sure tomorrow is closing day for nominations

Cathal Corey nominated by Glenties there tonight. Pretty sure tomorrow is closing day for nominations

Probably doesn't mean a whole lot since the committee can interview anyone they want anyway.

It's pretty underwhelming so far.

Probably doesn't mean a whole lot since the committee can interview anyone they want anyway.

It's pretty underwhelming so far.

True. I'd imagine they have done a good bit of behind the scenes manoeuvring. Well at least u hope they have learnt from past mistakes.

• Advertisement

I think so too.

Paddy Carr and Cathal Corey. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Has Rory made any comment about the job yet? I had heard last week that he wasn't interested but have seen nothing from Rory himself either way.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Has Rory made any comment about the job yet? I had heard last week that he wasn't interested but have seen nothing from Rory himself either way.

Mustn't have. If he had done so it would have been major news. You would hope Sean Dunnion etc will be making tracks behind the scenes with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Paddy Carr was an unknown to me, but he has managed plenty in his time, with some success, although not much happening in recent years. None of Louth's Championship results in 2002 or 2003 look that bad on the face if it, but I have no idea of the context. I had heard of Cathal Corey before now, but know little of him to be honest.

As far as I know, Rory has certainly been sounding out the players about the manager job.

I have very mixed views on Rory as manager to be honest. I won't really go into it more than that. If nothing else, his record as a manager is very thin.

The list of potential condidates is far from strong on the face of it, but in reality, who out there can compare with Jim in our eyes?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Paddy Carr was an unknown to me, but he has managed plenty in his time, with some success, although not much happening in recent years. None of Louth's Championship results in 2002 or 2003 look that bad on the face if it, but I have no idea of the context. I had heard of Cathal Corey before now, but know little of him to be honest.

As far as I know, Rory has certainly been sounding out the players about the manager job.

I have very mixed views on Rory as manager to be honest. I won't really go into it more than that. If nothing else, his record as a manager is very thin.

The list of potential condidates is far from strong on the face of it, but in reality, who out there can compare with Jim in our eyes?

I would agree about Rory RSF. It's far from ideal but the players respect him and he knows what's what. He'd do me to bridge the gap until Declan or somebody else of a higher calibre was up to the challenge.

Also, nobody will compare with Jim in our eyes. But the two guys in the ring at the minute don't even compare with the likes of McIvor or Moran.

Well, it's official now. DN reporting that Rory Gallagher's nomination as gone in. Somewhat bizarrely, DD reporting that applications will be kept confidential, but I guess if candidates leak the fact that they've applied, we will get to read about it.

I think we can expect Rory to be confirmed as the next manager in the coming weeks.

If true then I think it's probably best as it seems like there weren't too many looking to follow after Jim so I think Rory has the best chance of keeping these lads together and he doesn't seem to lack self confidence which will be important given the task ahead of him! As Nidge said, nobody was going to be as good as Jim!

And now, Anthony Harkin has been nominated by Ardara.

Here's a theory for ye to chew over - are Ardara, Fanad and Noamh Conaill nominating their own candidates because they are not enamoured with the favourite?

No disrespect meant to any of the candidates. This is purely my own view and may have no merit at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Here's a theory for ye to chew over - are Ardara, Fanad and Noamh Conaill nominating their own candidates because they are not enamoured with the favourite?

Possibly. I am not so sure Rory Gallagher is all that popular with everyone. At the same time, can't see anyone else getting it and he probably is the best equipped for it.

Nah, the nominations aren't that strange. Pretty sure Carr went for it before, was linked anyway. Corey has a decent enough record. Harkin is a bit of a bizarre one, he must be a decent age at this stage and I don't think he's been involved much in a few years.
    I would agree about Rory RSF. It's far from ideal but the players respect him and he knows what's what. He'd do me to bridge the gap until Declan or somebody else of a higher calibre was up to the challenge.

I wouldn't really rate Declan as a manager so would prefer to see Gallagher. The interesting thing with Rory is to see who he will get in to help him. I think he could do with a strong assistant. I presume Maxi would be involved anyway.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't really rate Declan as a manager so would prefer to see Gallagher. The interesting thing with Rory is to see who he will get in to help him. I think he could do with a strong assistant. I presume Maxi would be involved anyway.

It's like House of Cards. Maxi sitting up in Downings plotting how to get the top job!

He'll be loitering around no doubt.

Well, no real surprises in the Senior Quarter Finals although Ardara came very close. They might do it yet I suppose.

Both relegation play off games had very late twists at the end. Bundoran v Glenfin now play to decide who goes down.

The Intermediate draw is:

Naomh Brid v Naomh Columba
    Cloughaneely v Burt
    Buncrana v St Nauls
    Aodh Rua v Fanad

Semi Finals:

N.Brid/N.Columba v Buncrana/Nauls
    Cloughaneely/Burt v Aodh Rua/Fanad

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EatMyPoint2014

Eatmypoint.com wouldn't mind hearing some feedback. Two Cork guys opinion on Donegal/Jim McGuinness

Eatmypoint.com wouldn't mind hearing some feedback. Two Cork guys opinion on Donegal/Jim McGuinness

Very thorough and a good read.

Some small bits I don't agree with - the fancy dans moniker. I think that's wrong myself. They were huars for the beer. Fancy dans implies people who flit around doing nice things but never really achieve anything. They achieve next to nothing but we could mix it when needed we had some hard players. They just weren't good enough or disciplined enough to go further.

We beat Mayo by 4 points in 2012, not 5.

My own personal belief regarding the question posed in the opening part about McGuinness whether he acted how he thought he should act or whether he was the genuine article. It's the latter. Absolutely no question. He is a genius.

Enjoyed that though all the same. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EatMyPoint2014

Very thorough and a good read.

Some small bits I don't agree with - the fancy dans moniker. I think that's wrong myself. They were huars for the beer. Fancy dans implies people who flit around doing nice things but never really achieve anything. They achieve next to nothing but we could mix it when needed we had some hard players. They just weren't good enough or disciplined enough to go further.

We beat Mayo by 4 points in 2012, not 5.

My own personal belief regarding the question posed in the opening part about McGuinness whether he acted how he thought he should act or whether he was the genuine article. It's the latter. Absolutely no question. He is a genius.

Enjoyed that though all the same. Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah - that was basically the point we were trying to put forward from a outsiders perspective. Ye always produced plenty of quality footballers, but the discipline seemed to be lacking, and so too the structures. Jim really was a match made in heaven for the job at that time. He had the personality and the intelligence to bring everything together in order to drive Donegal forward.
    Re Jim's public persona; I can't help but feel it may have been a slight bit contrived. That said, he is an absolute hero of mine and I could listen to him reading the back of a cereal box. I just think that no one could be that intense 24/7. There had to be a political element about how he handled himself with the media. Then again he's certainly not the first.
    Anyways, cheers for the response and noticing our gaffe. I'll post up the link to part 2 when it's done and dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Re Jim's public persona; I can't help but feel it may have been a slight bit contrived. That said, he is an absolute hero of mine and I could listen to him reading the back of a cereal box. I just think that no one could be that intense 24/7. There had to be a political element about how he handled himself with the media. Then again he's certainly not the first.
    Anyways, cheers for the response and noticing our gaffe. I'll post up the link to part 2 when it's done and dusted.

Jim was an absolute tour de force.

He was a tremendous coach, among the best tacticians in Ireland, a terrific man-manager, held expertise in sports psychology, charismatic, an effective disciplinarian and good with the media. Moreover, his business acumen and contacts seemed to help him raise so much of the finance that helped fund the training camps and training costs. The public persona goes along with all of that for me; it's another part of the job. His public appearances were as 'the Donegal manager' and him suddenly relaxing out of his professionalism for interviews would have been wrong.

Speaking to fans from other counties, I've heard people refer to him as unlikeable and even a 'bit of an asshole'. I found Jim likeable and even inspirational and really could not understand these comments.

I wanted Jim to be ever-professional and intense, even in the most relaxed of interviews. That's what Donegal needed and that's what he gave us. It has been said before that outsiders will never fully understand just how good McGuinness was. Mickey Harte is regularly praised, but McGuinness will never receive that sustained appreciation for his achievements.

Well done to Papa, Murphy and the two Neils on their All Star awards.

Very harsh on Eamonn McGee and possible Frankie in the backs. McHugh has been great and should be in the half forwards with Murphy in at 14 instead of star.

Aye it's tough on those who missed out alright. I feel bad for Eamonn as he missed out in 2012 as well but it's hard to fit everyone in and especially when they start messing around with positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Well done to Papa, Murphy and the two Neils on their All Star awards.

Very harsh on Eamonn McGee and possible Frankie in the backs. McHugh has been great and should be in the half forwards with Murphy in at 14 instead of star.

McHugh was always going to miss out given he's going to get YPOTY

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    McHugh was always going to miss out given he's going to get YPOTY

Which in of itself is ridiculous.

The whole thing is a shambles. I've said it got years. Donnacha Walsh should have been in there too fwiw.

Advertisement