Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

The Baker Bradley just confirmed as Malin senior football boss for the season ahead. I heard this rumor a while back and found it very hard to believe. I once played a friendly against glenullin and it's a right aul spin to go never mind a return journey three times a week at least.

Fair play to them but it must be costing a few shillings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Say it ain't so Malin

Bit of a gob****e is the Baker, as far as I can see.

Himself in Malin, Paddy lurking about Gweedore. What next - Eoin to sign for the Harps?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Say it ain't so Malin

Bit of a gob****e is the Baker, as far as I can see.

Himself in Malin, Paddy lurking about Gweedore. What next - Eoin to sign for the Harps?

I heard of the discontent voiced in Gaoth Dobhair about Paddy's wages and how some felt they could have been better spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I heard of the discontent voiced in Gaoth Dobhair about Paddy's wages and how some felt they could have been better spent

Is Cassidy still the player/manager this year? I thought someone else took over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Is Cassidy still the player/manager this year? I thought someone else took over

The AGM was postponed until next week so no decision has been made yet AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

How did Hugh McFadden get on Sunday?

Did anyone here go to the game? I'd like to see him get a run this year.

Did anyone here go to the game? I'd like to see him get a run this year.

I wasn't there. As far as I could tell from listening, he missed a few scoring opportunities. He wasn't alone there.

So what do you see as his best position?

I wasn't there. As far as I could tell from listening, he missed a few scoring opportunities. He wasn't alone there.

So what do you see as his best position?

Full forward.

It's a tough one though with his lack of experience.

Murphy is the best full forward in the Country by a long, long way (when played there). We also don't typically play a straight 13,14,15 either.

I'd like to see him become comfortable in either 13 or 15. There's also an option for him going in at full forward while Murphy comes out around the middle as is his want.

We've got some decent forwards you know and he is talented, no question. But it's finding a place for him to get experience and to see what he can offer which is tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/gaelic-games/donegal-manager-rory-gallagher-awaiting-to-hear-from-trio-1-6504715

Is there some reason why the Glenties duo McLoone & Thompson might not want to play for Gallagher or am I reading too much into it? We never heard the real reason why Glenties man McGuinness parted company with Gallagher.

Glenman wrote: »
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/gaelic-games/donegal-manager-rory-gallagher-awaiting-to-hear-from-trio-1-6504715

Is there some reason why the Glenties duo McLoone & Thompson might not want to play for Gallagher or am I reading too much into it? We never heard the real reason why Glenties man McGuinness parted company with Gallagher.

Quite.

• Advertisement

Full forward.

It's a tough one though with his lack of experience.

Murphy is the best full forward in the Country by a long, long way (when played there). We also don't typically play a straight 13,14,15 either.

I'd like to see him become comfortable in either 13 or 15. There's also an option for him going in at full forward while Murphy comes out around the middle as is his want.

We've got some decent forwards you know and he is talented, no question. But it's finding a place for him to get experience and to see what he can offer which is tricky.

He is talented for sure. But, I haven't made up my mind about him. Would be nice to see him get a run. Full forward or midfield, depending on our needs. Would be great if he could develop to the extent we could interchange himself and Murphy during a game.

He did well when introduced last year - he very much seemed to be following orders. Two nice points down in Laois.

I think he eventually got going in the Ulster Under 21 Final as far as I recall, but like others, he found it tough going that night.

First saw him in the 2013 County Final. Showed flashes - has range from the ground but maybe lacks a little accuracy. Was in bits afterwards - fair enough he's a young guy, but his team were never in the game.

Quite.

You just wouldn't know.

Although fellow Naomh Conaill men Brick Molloy and Eunan Doherty had no problem lining out on Sunday.

Anyway, a team for Sunday has been 'named'

http://donegalgaa.ie/2015/01/donegal-team-v-qub-dr-mckenna-cup-11th-jan-2-00pm-maccumhaill-park/

I'd be interested to see how Daniel McLaughlin goes (if he plays) - didn't look fit in the club championship.

No Mark McHugh - he was around for longer last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

You just wouldn't know.

Although fellow Naomh Conaill men Brick Molloy and Eunan Doherty had no problem lining out on Sunday.

Anyway, a team for Sunday has been 'named'

http://donegalgaa.ie/2015/01/donegal-team-v-qub-dr-mckenna-cup-11th-jan-2-00pm-maccumhaill-park/

I'd be interested to see how Daniel McLaughlin goes (if he plays) - didn't look fit in the club championship.

No Mark McHugh - he was around for longer last year!

I've a sneaking suspicion that's a deliberate tactic.
    Rest the experienced players, while training them in new tactics, to be unveiled in the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Glenman wrote: »

Isn`t Thompson and his girlfriend working in England and looking as if he will miss at least the league?

opiniated wrote:
    I've a sneaking suspicion that's a deliberate tactic. Rest the experienced players, while training them in new tactics, to be unveiled in the Championship?

Officially a quad injury but I heard he was out of puff last weekend in any event.

charlie14 wrote:
    Isn`t Thompson and his girlfriend working in England and looking as if he will miss at least the league?

He is in England and apparently wants to play for Donegal. Rory saying that they are trying to work out the logistics.

Odhran MacNiallais seemingly having a stormer of a first half.

Odhran MacNiallais seemingly having a stormer of a first half.

Man of the match. Meh, who are Queens to judge anyone against? But, good to see he played half forward rather than midfield.

Man of the match. Meh, who are Queens to judge anyone against? But, good to see he played half forward rather than midfield.

Without a doubt, it's only lads stretching the legs at this point. I understand why they had him in midfield with his half decent high ball winning but half forward is what this youngster was made for. On a different note, I feel that Rory Gallagher has adopted a different approach to Jim McGuinness in letting the lads have their fair share of hooch over the festive season...You'll always have the arguments for and against.

Without a doubt, it's only lads stretching the legs at this point. I understand why they had him in midfield with his half decent high ball winning but half forward is what this youngster was made for.

Absolutely agree gfk, although the way the game is changing it's good that he's learning both roles. Also interesting to see he was knocking over a few frees yesterday (one sounds like a particularly impressive effort) - might be Rory looking at alternatives to Colm from that side.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Absolutely agree gfk, although the way the game is changing it's good that he's learning both roles. Also interesting to see he was knocking over a few frees yesterday (one sounds like a particularly impressive effort) - might be Rory looking at alternatives to Colm from that side.

I'd say Paddy McBrearty would be ahead of MacNiallais as the left footed free taker.

Marty O'Reilly seems to be taking the left side/right footed frees right now and playing further forward.

But we won't really know if anything has changed until much later. Last year, Leo McLoone didn't play half forward until the Championship.

I'd say Paddy McBrearty would be ahead of MacNiallais as the left footed free taker.

Marty O'Reilly seems to be taking the left side/right footed frees right now and playing further forward.

But we won't really know if anything has changed until much later. Last year, Leo McLoone didn't play half forward until the Championship.

It makes sense imo to use this time of the year to look for cover for Colm Anthony and looking to our half forward line with all teams now using the blanket for players who can pik off points from a bit of distance. From this year maybe where both McBrearty and MaNiallais could be best used?

Jack Cooney recruited to the backroom team. Great experience in being alongside Paidi O Se keeping Westmeath in Division 1 should benefit us greatly in the run up to the championship.

Jack Cooney recruited to the backroom team. Great experience in being alongside Paidi O Se keeping Westmeath in Division 1 should benefit us greatly in the run up to the championship.

I thought he was managing Celbridge in Kildare ?

charlie14 wrote: »
    I thought he was managing Celbridge in Kildare ?

AFAIK he still is. He was in for the Westmeath post but didn't get it. I wonder are we bringing him up in the helicopter a la Ó Sé?

AFAIK he still is. He was in for the Westmeath post but didn't get it. I wonder are we bringing him up in the helicopter a la Ó Sé?

I`ve a feeling the helicopter may have been a Jim rather than a Rory one. :)
    I don`t know that much about him, but i hope he learned more from Paidi back then than Tomas O Flatharta. I know we have been criticised over defence, but any team I`ve seen managed by him have looked like an outfit that have gone out hoping to win by a 0-1 to a 0-0 scoreline

So his wife is from Kilcar and Rory knows Cooney well.

So was he second choice to Martin McElkennon? Or was there nothing to that story.

Not clear if he is still involved with Celbridge. Even if he isn't, I assume he lives in the Pale?

So his wife is from Kilcar and Rory knows Cooney well.

So was he second choice to Martin McElkennon? Or was there nothing to that story.

Not clear if he is still involved with Celbridge. Even if he isn't, I assume he lives in the Pale?

I'm not sure about the McElkennon story. I'm sure, out of his wishlist...not everyone would be able to commit. An opportunity such as getting onto a backroom team of the all Ireland finalists would be a tough one to turn down. I thought myself RSF of the distance he had to travel but aren't there still a few heads left in the pale who make the commute. Last year there was papa, Paddy McGrath and Declan Walsh and one of the strength and conditioning coaches.

So who exactly is on the backroom team this year? So far we have McDaid, Maxi and now this lad Cooney, is that right? I take it Damien, John Duffy and Paul McGonagle are all gone?

• Advertisement

He reminds me of Christy. High hopes for this lad.

Advertisement