Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Derry will get relegated this year so I would expect Donegal to win

Are Donegal for the drop too?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93988755&postcount=48

Only advantage Derry might have on Saturday night is fitness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭johnohanlon

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Are Donegal for the drop too?

Only advantage Derry might have on Saturday night is fitness.

That post was just wishful thinking but I also expect Donegal to be relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Hahaha caught out badly.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we may see a serious tactical tweak come championship time and the league devoted to a game of grinding out results in our old school championship manner. I just have a tingling suspicion that the tactical nous of Rory Gallagher went unaccredited. I could be a 100km off the mark but I've a feeling this was what he was brought on board for initially as well as his well documented forensic knowledge of the weak spots of every intercounty player in the country. Mystic meg/eternal optimist moment

I just have a tingling suspicion that the tactical nous of Rory Gallagher went unaccredited.

He has got a lot of credit for the as far as I can see, especially given he wasn't even the main man.

I hope you are right. We still have the core of an All Ireland winning team, the right manager will surely be able to do well with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Much to my disappointment, I have never read Sams for the Hills. If anyone knows where I can get a copy or wants to lend me theirs, please let me know!

I'll bring it with me one of the days and you can dive in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

He has got a lot of credit for the as far as I can see, especially given he wasn't even the main man.

I do suppose that the only number two that got anywhere near as much coverage in recent years was McGeeney in Armagh with Grimley superficially at the helm.

On that note, no team in the country will relish a meeting with the orchard men this year. I have a feeling that they'll come out of the tunnel with the collective physique of the Irish rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I do suppose that the only number two that got anywhere near as much coverage in recent years was McGeeney in Armagh with Grimley superficially at the helm.

On that note, no team in the country will relish a meeting with the orchard men this year. I have a feeling that they'll come out of the tunnel with the collective physique of the Irish rugby team.

Well McGeeney produced a lot of athletes in Kildare, whether they were footballers is another question. I`d wish him the same success with Armagh as he had with Kildare.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Nidge - I get what you are saying about Four Summers. Luckily enough, I was warned what to expect so wasn't really disappointed. Given when it came out, it was never going to have any great depth. Hopefully we get some more insight into McGuinness at a later stage but I'd say that will take a while.

It's just a nice remembrance of the last four years. Even looking at line ups and team photos is interesting to me. Some great photos within too.

A fierce amount of sniping at the national meeja too!

Much to my disappointment, I have never read Sams for the Hills. If anyone knows where I can get a copy or wants to lend me theirs, please let me know!

Ah you see I was the opposite! I only seen the photo and thought great, cause I had tweeted them earlier in the year half in jest to get another book out. Then I seen the format of it which was totally different. It's wrote from our point of view though which is fantastic. Tos great to be biased. That's what's been great about the past 4 years too though everybody has been on the same page.

I'll happily send you a copy of my SFTH. There should be a copy at my folks. I'll dig it out when I'm back down the road in a fortnight or so.

That was good. Wish we could play Derry every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Excellent second half performance by Donegal. Gallagher had a stormer,switch inside of Murphy made a big difference in the second half.Paddy McBrearty was sublime.

• Advertisement

I try not to read too much into the league but that was a satisfying 2nd half performance and result. I wasn't at the game and was dealt a great hand when the lights went out in Healy park and the publican then finally decided to put on our match, he'd probably gotten sick of looking at me with a face like thunder.

Early points on the board and look, it's always nice to beat Derry.

Slightly porous at times at the back but that's to be expected. Murphy played close to goal for periods from what I can gather and looking dangerous, Paddy was great. We moved the ball well. Christy chipped in well. Plenty to be happy about not withstanding the fact (again) it's the first game and 'only' Derry. Odhrans goal was a thing of real beauty, maybe I'm eulogising somewhat but I thought it was a sublime piece of finishing. Sold the far corner to the keeper and brilliantly executed near side. We looked comfortable on the ball and wound the game down well too.

Going back briefly to the Tyrone game. They were a shambles, Monaghan looked decent. Again, trying desperately not to get in anyway carried away with one game in the league but I've thought abit about Ulster this evening (which is where our main priority really ought to lie). It's a pig of a draw no question but even post Jim we shouldn't be unduly worrying ourselves. That though is for another day and one that is several months down the line.

Finally, did the sligo man really give a rather soft penalty to Donegal or should I expect to wake up shortly with my head in a bowl of cornflakes?

Additional disclaimer *its still the first league game*

The Donegal penalty was probably the worst decision of the night!

Can't complain about much tonight .... the result, the performance, the refereeing decisions ... good way to kick things off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

charlie14 wrote: »

Well McGeeney produced a lot of athletes in Kildare, whether they were footballers is another question. I`d wish him the same success with Armagh as he had with Kildare.:D
    Idiotic comment.

Success is subjective. Look where Kildare were before McGeeney came along, we were a mess and a laughing stock. He reached four All Ireland QFs in a row and only lost one game in the qualifiers in five years. We would have reached an All Ireland final but for a terrible call on a Benny Coulter square ball.

Only one team can win Sam every year and he was in a province which included a very good Dublin team playing in their back yard every game.

Love him or loathe, McGeeney is an excellent manager. He will do very well with Armagh.

Martin McHugh talks some drivel on the wireless with the Daniel O'Donell tongue of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Martin McHugh talks some drivel on the wireless with the Daniel O'Donell tongue of him

he is terrible although his under studies from kilcar make up for it ....but yeah i cant stand him

Dodgy enough in fairness, but after the sending off against Cavan in Breffini in 2011 Murphy wont have felt too bad about selling it to the dwarf from Sligo I`d imagine.;)

The wee man can talk sh***e for Ireland at times alright, but that`s what you need to be a paid pundit nowadays it seems.
    Would we have won 92 without him or even got out of Ulster? Would we have won 2012 without the fruit of his loins in, or would we have beaten Dublin in 2014 (for me, the best buzz I have ever had walking away after a Donegal game) without the later fruit of those same loins.
    I just look on hts comments as doing what he has to do to make a few bob, but when he was needed he was there, and he has given us two young fellas that any county wold be more than delighted to have in their ranks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Speaking of that Dublin game, is there any way to get hands on a copy of it? Doesn't appear to be anywhere online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

You might be right but of course they'll be immediately faced with the prospect of playing football not rugby, though you would imagine that McGeeney would have learned a lot from Kildare and his second apprenticeship to Grimley.

• Advertisement

he is terrible although his under studies from kilcar make up for it ....but yeah i cant stand him

They're not much better. They must talk some dung in that house.

Thankfully however they're all rather good at playing football.

Nib wrote: »
    Idiotic comment.

Success is subjective. Look where Kildare were before McGeeney came along, we were a mess and a laughing stock. He reached four All Ireland semis in a row and only lost one game in the qualifiers in five years. We would have reached an All Ireland final but for a terrible call on a Benny Coulter square ball.

Only one team can win Sam every year and he was in a province which included a very good Dublin team playing in their back yard every game.

Love him or loathe, McGeeney is an excellent manager. He will do very well with Armagh.

Success is success.

If Geezer stays 4 years with the football terrorists and wins nothing of note as he did in Kildare then I'll be very, very happy.

The wee man can talk sh***e for Ireland at times alright, but that`s what you need to be a paid pundit nowadays it seems.
    Would we have won 92 without him or even got out of Ulster? Would we have won 2012 without the fruit of his loins in, or would we have beaten Dublin in 2014 (for me, the best buzz I have ever had walking away after a Donegal game) without the later fruit of those same loins.
    I just look on hts comments as doing what he has to do to make a few bob, but when he was needed he was there, and he has given us two young fellas that any county wold be more than delighted to have in their ranks

Well I am from Derry so I prefer Brolly as a pundit as well as Tohill a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Success is success.

If Geezer stays 4 years with the football terrorists and wins nothing of note as he did in Kildare then I'll be very, very happy.
    charlie also seems to have magiced up an extra 3 AI semis to sugar coat his reign.
    I dont think 1 AI semi appearance, 0 leinster titles was particularly successful, wouldnt say a failure either. it was a solid return with a solid team that just lacked a few all star level players to push further. I never remember them beating any team that were realistic AI contenders

in saying that, i wouldnt even wish that success on Armagh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Would we have won 2012 without the fruit of his loins in, or would we have beaten Dublin in 2014 without the later fruit of those same loins.

You now have us thinking about Martin having sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Nidge - I get what you are saying about Four Summers. Luckily enough, I was warned what to expect so wasn't really disappointed. Given when it came out, it was never going to have any great depth. Hopefully we get some more insight into McGuinness at a later stage but I'd say that will take a while.

It's just a nice remembrance of the last four years. Even looking at line ups and team photos is interesting to me. Some great photos within too.

A fierce amount of sniping at the national meeja too!

Same here-keep periodically looking it up and then forgetting about it.

Hadnt heard of the other one-must grab a copy. Presume it doesnt go into much detail on the split w RG- on a related topic are there any Glenties men in the panel now?

In fairness they did play some pretty good football 09/10. Went backwards after that. Ironically it was their defence which was their achilles heel.

Eh if theres a worse decision all season Id be surprised.

harpsman wrote: »
    Eh if theres a worse decision all season Id be surprised.

Give Marty some credit, plenty of time left for him to pull out a show stopper.

• Advertisement

Good win for St. Eunan's in the MacRory today. Beat St. Pats of Armagh by a point after ET.

Advertisement