Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wow, a nice way to win after a sickening loss last year. No Ulster title at stake tonight mind you!

Monaghan up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Ha, was listening to the game on highland but had to do my shopping in tesco so turned it off with a minute gone in injury time :pac:

we'll need to improve a lot for monaghan but it's good to get a small bit of revenge for last year.

Torture trying to follow these games on Highland. The amount of ****e music you need to try and avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Great result. Go and win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Ciaran Thompson very impressive, won't be far off a senior call up, Conor Parke worth a chance aswell. Danny Rodgers will be Paul Durcans long time successor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

All county leagues up and running and thank god for that!

There were wins at the weekend in Division one for Gweedore over Eunans, Glenswilly over Dungloe, St. Michaels over Four Masters, Naomh Conaill over Malin.

Gweedore were impressive against Eunans yesterday but that said Eunans had a player wedding the day before so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Glenswilly had too much for Dungloe.

St. Michaels destroyed Four Masters in Donegal town by 14 points.

Naomh Conail made the long trip to Malin and came away with a 6 point victory. This is very impressive given they were down by 8 points at one stage in the first half.

From a county pov it is concerning the amount of muscle strains players have at the moment. No Mark McHugh for Kilcar nor Neil Gallagher for Glenswilly. No Frank McGlynn for Glenfin. Also Paddy McGrath left pitch early for Ardara with a hamstring strain.

I would have said that Paddy McGrath and Mark McHugh looked like they have been struggling for a while. As far as I know, Frank missed the Kerry game due to a bug or virus rather than an injury. It was good to hear that Odhran MacNiallais played for Gweedore yesterday.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I would have said that Paddy McGrath and Mark McHugh looked like they have been struggling for a while. As far as I know, Frank missed the Kerry game due to a bug or virus rather than an injury. It was good to hear that Odhran MacNiallais played for Gweedore yesterday.

McNiallais was immense for Gweedore. Ran the show from 11. Clean catches, kicked a beautiful point in the second half and opened up Eunans time and again with incisive passing.

dgl1992 wrote:
    McNiallais was immense for Gweedore. Ran the show from 11. Clean catches, kicked a beautiful point in the second half and opened up Eunans time and again with incisive passing.

Good stuff. Big wedding on Saturday so maybe that affected Eunans performance. But glad to hear Odhran was moving well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Paul Durcan transferring to a Dublin club. Anyone know what club he is going to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭howiya

Gael85 wrote: »
    Paul Durcan transferring to a Dublin club. Anyone know what club he is going to?

Whitehall according to a lad on the resdubs forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭howiya

howiya wrote: »
    Whitehall according to a lad on the resdubs forum

Scrap that. Others reckon Ballyboden

Team named for Tyrone:

1. Durcan
    2. McGrath
    3. Neil McGee
    4. Eamonn McGee
    5. McGlynn
    6. Lacey
    7. Doherty
    8. Gallagher
    9. Toye
    10. O'Reilly
    11. MacNiallais
    12. Ryan McHugh
    13. McBrearty
    14. Murphy
    15. Hugh McFadden

Among the subs, Stephen Griffen is named....as is Mark McHugh. No sign of Declan Walsh, Ciaran McGinley is named.

Not sure if Paddy McGrath will start given he missed the Ardara game last week. Perhaps we might see Eoin McHugh start and Ryan drop back. Neil Gallagher might even sit this one out and McElhinney to start. Or indeed MacNiallais to go to midfield.

Or, if they have any regard for the U-21s, Ryan, Eoin or Hugh won't start. McElhinney, Colm McFadden and David Walsh might come in.

Hard to know what this game will look like. Both teams need to win if they want to be relatively sure of playing in Division One next year. But, it's around six weeks until both will meet at the same venue in the Championship. It could be a real ****efest altogether.

I won't make this one. Highland will have to do, and as we are playing Tyrone and Derry play on Saturday night, we won't have to endure updates from other games.

Team named for Tyrone:

1. Durcan
    2. McGrath
    3. Neil McGee
    4. Eamonn McGee
    5. McGlynn
    6. Lacey
    7. Doherty
    8. Gallagher
    9. Toye
    10. O'Reilly
    11. MacNiallais
    12. Ryan McHugh
    13. McBrearty
    14. Murphy
    15. Hugh McFadden

Among the subs, Stephen Griffen is named....as is Mark McHugh. No sign of Declan Walsh, Ciaran McGinley is named.

Not sure if Paddy McGrath will start given he missed the Ardara game last week. Perhaps we might see Eoin McHugh start and Ryan drop back. Neil Gallagher might even sit this one out and McElhinney to start. Or indeed MacNiallais to go to midfield.

Or, if they have any regard for the U-21s, Ryan, Eoin or Hugh won't start. McElhinney, Colm McFadden and David Walsh might come in.

Hard to know what this game will look like. Both teams need to win if they want to be relatively sure of playing in Division One next year. But, it's around six weeks until both will meet at the same venue in the Championship. It could be a real ****efest altogether.

I won't make this one. Highland will have to do, and as we are playing Tyrone and Derry play on Saturday night, we won't have to endure updates from other games.

Just a note to say Paddy McGrath played for Ardara last week but came off injured very close to the end of the game.

Think we should play our best/strongest team and forget about the shadow boxing pre championship.

We have put Tyrone out of the championship 3 times in recent years. We win on Sunday and they are more or less relegated. It would be a further psychological to Tyrone if we could send them to division 2.

Hope it isn't a ****efest but it could easily go that way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

dgl1992 wrote: »
    Think we should play our best/strongest team and forget about the shadow boxing pre championship.

We have put Tyrone out of the championship 3 times in recent years. We win on Sunday and they are more or less relegated. It would be a further psychological to Tyrone if we could send them to division 2.

Agreed dgl, for one, even though it's only the league, relegation would be a bad start for Rory. And as you say, we have the measure of Tyrone recently so it would be a big advantage for May if we can keep that going and if we can relegate them at the same time. I'm sure they will be viewing this in the same manner - for that very reason it may well turn into a horrible negative match tho.

dgl1992 wrote: »

I agree, but the thing is, we pretty much have been playing our strongest team - we had more first choice players in Letterkenny than Monaghan did and for what? A shocking performance. If we aren't going to perform, I'd rather we mixed and matched a little bit more. I know we don't have the panel to make significant changes week on week, but it depresses me to see All Stars and Footballers of the Year trotted out for no purpose I can distinguish.

I hope we go for it on Sunday. We are more likely to win in Ballybofey than in Castlebar the following week. Relegation would annoy me, but Donegal supporters have been accustomed to the yo-yo cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

smashey wrote: »

I'd listen to him read the phone book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd listen to him read the phone book.

Would probably be more entertaining than watching paint dry his team play. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »

I found putting 3-14 past "the bestest team of anything ever of all time" quite entertaining myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You put 3-14 past Kerry? Jayzus, where was I for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

You put 3-14 past Kerry? Jayzus, where was I for that?

Trawling through other county threads looking for opportunities to try to be a smart-arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Were you not entertained enough last August or do you just not like seeing Dublin getting the ****e beat out of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Play nice please, people.

Today is all about the result but this seems to be very good so far.

1-09 to 0-03 HT.

Lets just see this out second half.

The second halfs going to be interesting according to Máirtín Beag. It's interesting that Michael Boyle is in goal. It'll also be interesting to see if Cavanagh features.

Sounds like a good half.

Sounds like a good half.

It does. Chris McNulty reckons there's been a massive wind in our favour. In any event it sounds like we've been running the ball as opposed letting loose with it inside.

Vital '35 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

10 point win is a great result, and not having a go, but knowing that Murphy would miss the Mayo game if he picked up another card, wasn`t it a bit careless of management putting in Colm Mc Fadden for Big Neil insread of Murphy when the game was won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

charlie14 wrote: »
    10 point win is a great result, and not having a go, but knowing that Murphy would miss the Mayo game if he picked up another card, wasn`t it a bit careless of management putting in Colm Mc Fadden for Big Neil insread of Murphy when the game was won.
    monaghan beat kerry so we are safe.
    Tyrone home to Kerry in their final games, tyrone 2 pts behind us and kerry level but 15+pts scored behind us. no way both can overtake us

no harm, clear the slate... i wonder does rory want to be in the playoffs? Jim never did. (would they carry to championship anyway?)
    Cork beating Mayo means winner of our game takes a playoff spot with Cork, Monaghan & the dubs unless they slip up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

overshoot wrote: »
    monaghan beat kerry so we are safe.
    Tyrone home to Kerry in their final games, tyrone 2 pts behind us and kerry level but 15+pts scored behind us. no way both can overtake us

no harm, clear the slate... i wonder does rory want to be in the playoffs? Jim never did. (would they carry to championship anyway?)
    Cork beating Mayo means winner of our game takes a playoff spot with Cork, Monaghan & the dubs unless they slip up

Good point re clearing the slate, and as far as the play offs are concerned, I`d rather see us keeping our powder dry and stay in the long grass until championship time.
    Still, I would have a sneaky wish to put one over Mayo at home, but without Murphy that is doubtful.

Advertisement