Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

overshoot wrote: »
    monaghan beat kerry so we are safe.
    Tyrone home to Kerry in their final games, tyrone 2 pts behind us and kerry level but 15+pts scored behind us. no way both can overtake us

no harm, clear the slate... i wonder does rory want to be in the playoffs? Jim never did. (would they carry to championship anyway?)
    Cork beating Mayo means winner of our game takes a playoff spot with Cork, Monaghan & the dubs unless they slip up

I reckon we would need to lose by at least 22 points, assuming Tyrone beat Kerry by 1, to be relegated.

I'd say no one has any interest in league semi finals given the real thing starts on 17 May.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Still, I would have a sneaky wish to put one over Mayo at home, but without Murphy that is doubtful.

Even with Murphy, that game will mean more to Mayo. Lose, and they have lost three in a row and they were humiliated by Dublin in their last home game. Also, their first Championship game is not until 17 June. The extra game or two might be of some benefit to them.

For Castlebar, just play it like the 2011 semi final. Colm up top, everyone else in our own half. Hopefully they televise it and we make people throw up in their sitting rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Even with Murphy, that game will mean more to Mayo. Lose, and they have lost three in a row and they were humiliated by Dublin in their last home game. Also, their first Championship game is not until 17 June. The extra game or two might be of some benefit to them.

True enough regarding Mayo, and how dire the standard has become in Connaught they will need to reach the playoffs to have any meaningfull games before the quarter final stages of the championship.
    Unfortunately, not a problem we have and we`re better off out of it at this stage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

A good black card for Michael Murphy to pick up. Had he picked up a black card in the mayo match he would have been suspended fOr the championship opener against Tyrone (assuming they don't make the league semi's)

• Advertisement

Fine, it is good to get a suspension out of the way next weekend but Michael Murphy cannot be picking up black and yellow cards at the rate he has been picking them up during this year's league. It's an issue that needs to be addressed.

I wasn't there, but I heard Hugh McFadden's tackling hasn't improved either.

Pity that himself and Ryan McHugh weren't hooked at half time with the U-21 game on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

A great result today that was matched by a very encouraging performance.

Some good long range points kicked in the first half with the aid of a fairly strong breeze including two massive frees from Murphy.
    Second half was more about moving the ball at pace with plenty of support runners.

Some good performances put in by most with my stand-outs being McGlynn, Lacey, Ryan McHugh and Murphy, particularly in first half.

I don't really wanna imply anything but it was coincidental that Murphy was spoken to by the line a few minutes before he got black carded for a rugby tackle. In his interview on Highland after the match, he reckoned he got the timing wrong! If he timed a tackle that badly, he should never be allowed on a football pitch again!
    He'll now miss a nothing match instead of potentially a championship match later on. Tactics come in many forms....Nope, nothing being implied here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Fine, it is good to get a suspension out of the way next weekend but Michael Murphy cannot be picking up black and yellow cards at the rate he has been picking them up during this year's league. It's an issue that needs to be addressed.

I wasn't there, but I heard Hugh McFadden's tackling hasn't improved either.

Pity that himself and Ryan McHugh weren't hooked at half time with the U-21 game on Wednesday
    Hugh McFadden had a reasonable enough game today but he really is far too easy to just ghost past.

His tackling reminds me of what my under-age manager used to tell us years ago: "If you're only going to tickle them, you may as well not bother at all. Hit them hard and make them earn their way past you".

Cheers for the match report 2mm.

Martin Beag was waxing lyrical about Lacey, great to see as he had been having a subdued enough season up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

While Lacy saw plenty of ball, personally speaking I thought he carried the ball into too many tackles and was dispossessed to easily one or two times. I don't think he has the pace to break tackles like yesteryear, so might be better advised to pass the ball on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

While Lacy saw plenty of ball, personally speaking I thought he carried the ball into too many tackles and was dispossessed to easily one or two times. I don't think he has the pace to break tackles like yesteryear, so might be better advised to pass the ball on.

I agree. Lacey's ability in the past was to stray into space and make incisive runs. This is greatly diminished by the more defensive line ups most teams adopt. He has been dispossessed several times most notable against Kerry and Monaghan and at least two scores have come of it. He needs to move the ball on a little bit quicker as he doesnt have the physical stature to carry the ball through tackles.

All we learned about from yesterdays game was that Tyrone are not the force they used to be. On the other hand they could be waiting for Donegal in the long grass. It's hard to tell.

I though Mc Glynn was awesome. He really can break at speed through tackles. Murphy had another great game providing a massive link in the switch form defense to attack. The blackcard looked intentional or he hasn't got a clue how to tackle. The ref was consistent for both sides in that he gave the man on the ball no protection, in other words you carry the ball into traffic at your own risk.

Of all the teams I think that Monaghan are the side to watch as they are seriously physical. If they set up properly and keep mcmanus and one or two others fit they could go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Speaking of carrying the ball into tackles, has anyone any update on McLoone? Will he be coming back to the panel this year or is he ruling himself out for the year?

All we learned about from yesterdays game was that Tyrone are not the force they used to be. On the other hand they could be waiting for Donegal in the long grass. It's hard to tell.

I am not worried about Tyrone. If we are right, we will beat them. They don't have the forwards to trouble any of the top teams. They will probably be better than they were yesterday come 17 May, but unless we have an off day (entirely possible, see last September) or age/wear and tear really catches up with Lacey, Big Neil and Christy all at the same time, then I am confident.
    Of all the teams I think that Monaghan are the side to watch as they are seriously physical. If they set up properly and keep mcmanus and one or two others fit they could go a long way.

Absolutely. It helps that they have a relatively straightforward path to the Ulster Final. Still, Cavan very nearly caught them in 2013 so the first day out could be a battle. Fermanagh are having a good year. But still, I'd gladly take their side of the draw over our own.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Speaking of carrying the ball into tackles, has anyone any update on McLoone? Will he be coming back to the panel this year or is he ruling himself out for the year?

No indication that he's coming back. Big loss as far as I am concerned, I'd take him over O'Reilly or Hugh McFadden any day.

No indication that he's coming back. Big loss as far as I am concerned, I'd take him over O'Reilly or Hugh McFadden any day.

Agreed. I think he's a very different player from O'Reilly so wouldn't really see them as competing for the same place but Leo is definitely a big loss to the team as I feel he really came of age as an inter county player last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Declan Walsh is another player who will be a loss. Was always a top quality replacement. It's a worry that we have limited back up in defence. Would be a lot more confident if we had Walsh, Mc Loone and Luke Keaney still in the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Pappa was in a car crash on Saturday apparently.

Must be a non-event otherwise there'd have been more news.

Pappa was in a car crash on Saturday apparently.

Must be a non-event otherwise there'd have been more news.

There was a brief mention before the match yesterday but sounds like a minor incident as he was being assessed before the match before they decided not to play him.

Murt15 wrote: »
    Declan Walsh is another player who will be a loss. Was always a top quality replacement. It's a worry that we have limited back up in defence. Would be a lot more confident if we had Walsh, Mc Loone and Luke Keaney still in the panel.

Fully agree on all three, especially Walsh and McLoone. I don't understand why Dec Walsh hasn't played at all.

Murt15 wrote: »
    Declan Walsh is another player who will be a loss. Was always a top quality replacement.

Is he gone off the panel? He was involved in some of the league matches I thought?

• Advertisement

Agreed. I think he's a very different player from O'Reilly so wouldn't really see them as competing for the same place but Leo is definitely a big loss to the team as I feel he really came of age as an inter county player last year.

Different players, but those two positions (whatever they are) are up for grabs as far as I am concerned. Murphy, McBrearty, Ryan McHugh and MacNiallais/Toye are our first four named forwards as far as I am concerned. No one else has really played well enough to be sure of the last two spots.

Is he gone off the panel? He was involved in some of the league matches I thought?

He was only ever named as a sub as far as I know. I haven't heard that he's gone, but it wouldn't surprise me - indeed that's possibly why Ciaran McGinley reappeared.

Different players, but those two positions (whatever they are) are up for grabs as far as I am concerned. Murphy, McBrearty, Ryan McHugh and MacNiallais/Toye are our first four named forwards as far as I am concerned. No one else has really played well enough to be sure of the last two spots.

Agreed RSF. I think we're still looking for a replacement for Colm for the summer and I'm not sure Rory is any the wiser there yet. For me O'Reilly is a better scoring option off the bench than we had last year (where it tended to be Brick usually) so that's a plus, but I wouldn't see him as a starter. If we had Leo it would leave us the option of keeping Murphy and McBrearty as the front two as we would look pretty strong with Big Neil, Odhran, Christy and Leo around the middle of the park but without him I feel Murphy will still be brought out the pitch more than we'd like which leaves Paddy holding a lot of responsibility up front.

First I've heard about Declan Walsh. That would be a blow. He's very capable.

For me O'Reilly is a better scoring option off the bench than we had last year (where it tended to be Brick usually) so that's a plus, but I wouldn't see him as a starter.

Hmm. Brick had his moments too. O'Reilly got four points from play against Cork and fair play to him, but that's about it. In theory I agree with you, but I am still unsure of his true level.

Jigger looked like he might have offered an impact from the bench once upon a time. But this season looks like a write off. He was subbed for the U-21s last day.

Eoin McHugh is surely the highest potential impact forward we have but even then, he's not shown anything at this level yet (due to lack of opportunity).

First I've heard about Declan Walsh. That would be a blow. He's very capable.

To us it would, but he would seem to have no such value to management.

First six backs - Two McGees, McGlynn, Lacey, MacGrath, Thompson. Next in line - Mark McHugh, Eamonn Doherty, Ryan McHugh. If Dec sticks around, fair play to him. But I'm sure Baker will be happy to advise him on his options.

To us it would, but he would seem to have no such value to management.

First six backs - Two McGees, McGlynn, Lacey, MacGrath, Thompson. Next in line - Mark McHugh, Eamonn Doherty, Ryan McHugh. If Dec sticks around, fair play to him. But I'm sure Baker will be happy to advise him on his options.

I'd have Walsh comfortably ahead of those three listed.

I'd have Walsh comfortably ahead of those three listed.

And to be clear, so would I. But that's not what we're seeing.

And to be clear, so would I. But that's not what we're seeing.

+1 here. I'm sure there will be murmurings of location based preferences and such but hopefully Declan has not left the panel and can keep fighting for a place. Of those 6 listed RSF, I think Karl has a battle on his hands to keep his place - which makes it all the more disappointing that Declan didn't get a few starts in the league as he would be the obvious next in line.

• Advertisement

+Of those 6 listed RSF, I think Karl has a battle on his hands to keep his place - which makes it all the more disappointing that Declan didn't get a few starts in the league as he would be the obvious next in line.

:eek:

I think Karl will call time on his own career.

If I recall correctly, he wasn't fantastic during last year's league. But he gave a masterclass in Celtic Park. I am hopeful he's just been treading water so far this year and will look better come the championship. Wishful thinking maybe, but so be it.

Paddy McGrath and Eamonn McGee have looked average enough this year so far IMHO. I love McGrath's hustle, but I'd be happier to see a bigger, stronger defender in there to be honest.

Advertisement