Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ratty wasn't it. Good to have Christy, Frank and the McGees there. Our lads don't take any shiete which is admirable.

I'm glad we play Cork and not Monaghan or even Dublin next.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm glad we play Cork and not Monaghan or even Dublin next.

Dear Santa,
    we would like this year to lose to Cork by a point, purely for psychological reasons.
    Rgs,
    GFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Im delighted to get the extra game(s). Seven weeks until our opening championship match - with the fitness these guys possess it wont be an issue - theres always the risk of injury but its not much higher than a training session really.

Extra value for season ticket holders too if Donegal offer them.

Always a bright side!
    TBH I think the extra game/games will be welcomed, well done to the team to get this far they must have wanted it. Nothing wrong with winning the league either. I'm sure many of the panel would like the extra accomplishment.

The lads seem to hop off each other in training anyway.
    Point taken on small panel, but it'll stay small if lads aren't blooded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Whilst I would have been happy not to progress to the semi finals, it was sweet denying Mayo a place and sneaking in ourselves in the manner that we did. The game certainly had a fair bit of niggle and Mayo could easily have had players sent off (after maxing out on black cards) with the amount of cynical fouls in trying to stop Donegal getting forward but it was so sweet to get the equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game. Our defence is looking pretty sharp and it was interesting (sorry for the wee Martinism) to see some of the movement taking place at times. I saw Neil McGee drift around in the half forward line for a few minutes without really looking to get involved - not sure if he was just looking for someone! :) I did wonder what Colm Anthony was doing in midfield for much of the second half tho - wtf like!
    Still another day out in Croker can't be a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stoner wrote: »
    Extra value for season ticket holders too if Donegal offer them.

Always a bright side!
    TBH I think the extra game/games will be welcomed, well done to the team to get this far they must have wanted it. Nothing wrong with winning the league either. I'm sure many of the panel would like the extra accomplishment.

The lads seem to hop off each other in training anyway.
    Point taken on small panel, but it'll stay small if lads aren't blooded

They certainly won't be blooded next week!

A good scatter of them were involved in 2007. That was a fantastic achievement for us at the time. I mean, it was the first thing we had won in 15 years really and we had players like Roper and Hegarty etc involved who had been toiling around for a while with no return. It was a national title in Croke park which was incredible for us and as a county we were desperate for it. Not the case now. We have a successful group of players and have realistic expectations about what the squad can do. Winning the league won't really register.

It'd be nice to win it, but it'd be nicer to beat Tyrone on 17 May. That's where our entire focus ought to be.

• Advertisement

The older McHugh doubtful for the League semi due to an alleged rib injury sustained in today's club match which saw him substituted at half time. It's no loss in my eyes as his current form is brutal, his lack of fitness is strikingly obvious and the murmurings across the water from his time in NY were far from flattering. Rory, having a close relationship with his family and with himself through the club and also having worked him I believe should only carry him so far. However, if he could regain his 2012 form and lose the attitude, he'd be welcomed with open arms.

The older McHugh doubtful for the League semi due to an alleged rib injury sustained in today's club match which saw him substituted at half time. It's no loss in my eyes as his current form is brutal, his lack of fitness is strikingly obvious and the murmurings across the water from his time in NY were far from flattering. Rory, having a close relationship with his family and with himself through the club and also having worked him I believe should only carry him so far.

It'll work the other way I fear. Not preferential treatment as such but he'll have an easier run. Still totally expecting him to be in our first xv come the summer, despite his form.

He's starting to annoy me is Mark. Especially the attitude he's been displaying to his team mates. Needs a kick up the arse, or a slap from the bould Neil.

Ok, Sunday or any subsequent game isn't going to tell me much more about the players likely to start on 17 May. Here's my team for the Championship.

1. Durcan - the man won an All Star last year and still has the best range on his kickouts. Aside from a wobble against Derry, I don't see what he's done to lose his place this year. And I don't care what club in Dublin he plays for.

2. McGrath. I have thought hard about this. His size has become an issue for me. He made some good tackles against Mayo but also was guilty of turring over possession once or twice. No doubting his determination.

3. Neil McGee.

4. Lacey. I am not writing him off, but at this point it just looks like the pace is not there to play at 6. I would play him further back and take advantage of his outstanding man marking skills.

5. Thompson. I can only assume he is easing his way back. We need his power and tireless running.

6. McGlynn. Frank the Tank has been possibly our best player during the league.

7. Eamonn McGee. Had a few poor games, especially in Tralee. May still be needed in the full back line.

8. Big Neil

9. Probably Christy, although I'm not sure he's showing great form. I see 9 as a 'job share' between himself and McElhinney.

10. O'Reilly. I need to watch the games I have recorded to see what he has done, but he's probably earned his place. The four points against Cork were a bit of a freak event, but still, at least he has the confidence and ability to take a point when the opportunity presents himself. His size is a problem for me.

11. MacNiallais. I'd prefer to see him closer to goal as he is a scoring threat. In reality, his position will be fluid enough I suppose, and he could well interchange with Christy at times.

12. Ryan McHugh. No disccussion really necessary but I don't like having two undersized wing forwards.

13. McBrearty. Finally beginning to put together more consistent performances. The less time he has to think, the better.

14. Murphy. I think the last two Sundays have showed why he won't be spending too much time on the edge of the square however.

15. I honestly don't know. I thought Colm Anthony did ok last weekend. The alternative might be for McElhinney to take the 15 shirt and play deep, leaving Murphy or possibly O'Reilly inside with Paddy. I hope that we don't persist with Hugh McFadden in a quasi sweeper role he is ill suited to.

Bench

16 Boyle
    17 Doherty
    18 Hugh McFadden
    19 Eoin McHugh
    20 Griffin
    21 Mark McHugh
    22 Colm McFadden (assuming McElhinney starts)
    23 Jigger (blind faith....)
    24 AN Other (a defender)
    25 AN Other (a defender/midfielder)
    26 David Walsh (if he is up to it)

Declan Walsh and Leo Mc Loone are big losses. Rory is too of course, but that was unavoidable. Our bench looks weaker than before without Declan Walsh, McElhinney and big question marks over David Walsh and Jigger. Griffin is there only because of that point last weekend, I doubt we will see a repeat of that effort in the heat of Championship battle. Is he likely to offer more than Brick? I'd love if Ryan Bradley was still around.

I agree with everything that has been said about Mark McHugh. He's nowhere near the player he was in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

I'd pretty much go with that RSF though I can't see Anthony Thompson starting.

I would have Conor Parke and Ciaran Thompson as your AN Others. Daniel Mc Laughlin is also an option.

I would also land down to Leo's bar in Glenties and sort out any issues to get that man back on board.

Would go along with that RSF. On Durcan, I think he was dropped against Tyrone due to the car accident so it may be that Boyle kept his place against Mayo as a result of his showing that day. However am sure Durcan will be in come May. As you say, for me the biggest disappointment is the loss of Leo and Declan Walsh as these two would certainly be pushing hard for a start - am sure Leo would be in there if available. Is Ryan back playing club football for Buncrana again? I'd love to see him back in the panel again. In terms of other subs, I haven't seen much of him but it sounds like young Ciaran Thompson is going well with the u-21 - might he be worth including? Also I think Ciaran McGinley may make the bench given he was there for most of the league.

• Advertisement

This has probably been covered but what's the craic with Leo? Is he away travelling or just had enough or what? No chance of a late return?

He's a wild loss you know. Solid.

This has probably been covered but what's the craic with Leo? Is he away travelling or just had enough or what? No chance of a late return?

He's a wild loss you know. Solid.

No idea, but I'd imagine that the bond with Jim was stronger than most with them being townies.
    His ability to skip through tackles and coolness bearing down on goal are sorely missed. The opposition feared the goal threat in him to the point, I believe that he took the biggest hits of his time under Mcguinness last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

1. Durcan - the man won an All Star last year and still has the best range on his kickouts. Aside from a wobble against Derry, I don't see what he's done to lose his place this year. And I don't care what club in Dublin he plays for.

I'm losing faith with Durcan, has looked a bit wobbly in the games i've seen and doesn't have the variety of kickouts that he did last year. Boyle is fairly experienced and has done nothing wrong in the games he's played so i'd go with him
    4. Lacey. I am not writing him off, but at this point it just looks like the pace is not there to play at 6. I would play him further back and take advantage of his outstanding man marking skills.
    I'd keep him out the field. If age is catching up with him then I think he could be exposed in the corner too.

Hopefully Jigger can have another good game for the 21's as he'd be a good option to have come the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

No idea, but I'd imagine that the bond with Jim was stronger than most with them being townies.
    His ability to skip through tackles and coolness bearing down on goal are sorely missed. The opposition feared the goal threat in him to the point, I believe that he took the biggest hits of his time under Mcguinness last year.

Not sure about his ability to skip through tackles but was a good goal finisher. Still thinking what if Lacey had slipped him a pass before half time in the AIF.
    Never did much in Croke Park. A loss but not crippling one imo.

Re Durcan he had a car accudent. Dont think hes dropped. Would still go with him against Tyrone. Remember his kickouts were pretty bad this time last year too.

Re Lacey hes in todays Indo claiming to be in best shape for 3 years.http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/body-in-best-nick-for-three-years-lacey-31122636.html Think hes still by far our best option at 6 and we have a pretty good full back line anyway

I like Leo.

I've told him this before in a drunken stupor. Against Cork after they'd scored the goal we had a kick out, the ball broke and the focus he showed and the drive to launch himself down on the breaking ball is one of my favourite acts from a Donegal player. I think the covering defender had a yard or so on him at an angle too and McLoone just 'tunnelvisioned' it. 72/73 minutes, his legs must have been screaming but he just wasn't being beaten to it. Straight down on the ball, won the foul and with that won that semi final in that moment.

He's a very good player. Eye for a goal, his positional awareness and link up play is spot on too and he's got plenty left in the tank. He's a hard bastard when he needs to be too. He'll be a big miss. Forgot first time round, very very good at winning dirty ball and wins alot of cute frees.

Agreed whoever said about Lacey not playing him in. Wounder. Big Neil should have played someone in too towards the end. Urgh.

Absolutely Nidge, there's no doubt in my mind that Leo is a massive loss to the team, not just as a scoring threat but as you say, in winning and carrying ball. He's the one player on our team who can break a tackle well and there are times when you need do that in order to open play up a bit - it's almost like rugby these days in that regard! Add in the fact he is still a young lad and it's really disappointing that he isn't available - I'm still hoping he can be persuaded back in but it's hard to know what the chances of that are without knowing why he isn't making himself available in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Absolutely Nidge, there's no doubt in my mind that Leo is a massive loss to the team, not just as a scoring threat but as you say, in winning and carrying ball. He's the one player on our team who can break a tackle well and there are times when you need do that in order to open play up a bit - it's almost like rugby these days in that regard! Add in the fact he is still a young lad and it's really disappointing that he isn't available - I'm still hoping he can be persuaded back in but it's hard to know what the chances of that are without knowing why he isn't making himself available in the first place!

I know the club is putting a big push on this year so maybe he is just concentrating on that but word at the time of the Glenswilly black card appeal fiasco was that he wasn't happy. Anyway with championship preparations underway it needs to happen soon if it's going to happen at all.

A few thoughts:

When I say pace is the issue for Lacey, I meant more going forward. He hasn't really shown he has the gas to beat a defender. I think this is less of an issue in the corner. As to what he says in any interview, I discount that completely - he's hardly likely to admit he's not up to it! Recall last summer's performance in Celtic Park - this is how I would like him to be used more often this summer. I have no problem admitting I was wrong if he turns it on during the summer.

If someone doesn't rate Leo McLoone, fine. But please show me that we have replaced him as a starter with a better player?

Thompson has to start for me. If he doesn't, we are weaker than we were last summer for sure. If we start without him, Rory and Leo? We are quite a bit worse off, for sure. So no All Ireland Final and I question whether we win Ulster.

I don't see enough club or underage football (i.e. the U21s) to have an opinion on who outside of who has already played for the Seniors should be in the squad. Ciaran Thompson has certainly appeared to be doing well.

I am disappointed not to make it to Derry tonight, I will listen in on Ocean FM.

Nervous for tonight now. Really want these boys to start making hay.

They need to win tonight. No excuses. 0/3 isn't acceptable.

Sounds like we're second best in Derry tonight.

This is my first time hearing Pauric McShea. Hmm.

• Advertisement

This is hard listening.

**** sake

^ what he said.

So ****ing annoying. 3 Ulster final defeats in a row. Not good enough.

Sounds like our tactics were questionable, but in saying that, if Pauric can be believed, Tyrone were much the better team. Good to show a bit of battle all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Jesus, Martin McHugh thinking it interesting (of course) that fate was tempted last week when the Co Board had the cup in Donegal.

A sickening way to lose but at the same time it didn't really sound overall like we deserved to be level going into injury time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,143 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What was the score lads?

What was the score lads?

0-13 to 1-11

What was the score lads?
    1-11 to 0-13

Got 3 quick points to level it coming into injury time but Tyrone got a free in last few seconds to win it.:mad:

1-11 to 0-13

Got 3 quick points to level it coming into injury time but Tyrone got a free in last few seconds to win it.:mad:

Mchugh seen his name in lights by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Mchugh seen his name in lights by the sounds of it.
    It sounded that way but then again I was listening to Highland with his harshest critic on co-commentary so couldn't be sure whether Martin was gurning for the sake of gurning or whether it really was a hail mary effort.

Advertisement