Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Boyle cost two as well with very poor kickouts.

I'd be interested to hear comments on this. If we also count last year's goal in the AI final as a result from a poor kickout, is this not something that management should look at? I appreciate that kicking the ball long to a MF like Kerry's isn't going to do much better, but the goalie kickout is becoming more of a integral part of play than yesteryear and in the white heat of championship football I'd expect it to be more of an issue. It's an area I'd expect to see a plan b and possibly c, especially if teams don't play the 'blanket' and our FB line is marked tighter preventing short kick outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think to be fair Bob, I fully expect Durcan to be back for Tyrone and, one obvious brain fart excepted, his kickouts are of a much higher quality than we saw yesterday.

I think to be fair Bob, I fully expect Durcan to be back for Tyrone and, one obvious brain fart excepted, his kickouts are of a much higher quality than we saw yesterday.

Yep, point taken but we'll have to hope he's a clean bill of health for the season and not just the Tyrone game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It's not just been one though.

He had a shocker during the club championships too. I'd have serious concerns over him at this moment in time. Hopefully this wee break now will do him the power of good and he'll be flying come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

charlie14 wrote: »
    Same here. They were scaring the bejasus out of me there for a while. Regardless of Lacey, I thought Paddy Mc Grath was poor enough. Looking to easy to push aside lately. After today, I`d be lax to write off Colm Anthony just yet.

Are youz really THAT good?
    Thought I was on the Kerry GAA forum there for a while.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'd be interested to hear comments on this. If we also count last year's goal in the AI final as a result from a poor kickout, is this not something that management should look at? I appreciate that kicking the ball long to a MF like Kerry's isn't going to do much better, but the goalie kickout is becoming more of a integral part of play than yesteryear and in the white heat of championship football I'd expect it to be more of an issue. It's an area I'd expect to see a plan b and possibly c, especially if teams don't play the 'blanket' and our FB line is marked tighter preventing short kick outs.

If you recall the Dublin game, Michael Boyle was nearly caught out twice with short kickouts. He had at least one poor short effort on Sunday, and, he goal aside, his kicking in Castlebar wasn't great from where I was sitting. So it could be that our tactics need to the looked at no matter who starts in goal.

I agree we need a variety of approaches to our kick outs, especially if we are fortunate enough to meet Kerry later in the year. Durcan was excellent last year, an All Star, and I certainly am not ready to write him off. I didn't see the Four Masters County Championship games, but I can well imagine that he found it hard to focus so soon in the aftermath of feeling he cost his team an All Ireland.

The knock on Boyle has always been his size and kick outs. He may have improved the latter, but not to the extent he has Papa's range.

Aside from one poor kickout against Derry, Papa's been fine as far as I am concerned. Boyle has been ok, but for me, Papa starts against Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

wackokid wrote: »
    Are youz really THAT good?
    Thought I was on the Kerry GAA forum there for a while.:)

You do know Donegal don't have the luxury of having their first championship game in mid-June against Limerick or Clare? The Tyrone game was priority over this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Aye its pathetic to expect our seniors to go out and compete when they have most serious business to attend to in a mater of weeks. 17th May). Kerry play cork on the 12th of July........ 55 days later.

Martín Beag's got people spitting feathers again.

Martín Beag's got people spitting feathers again.

It's interesting to see, isn't it...

He's some troll, fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Story on the Democrat today that I tried linking to via my phone but can't and I'm not arsed firing up the laptop so here we go.

It's an interview with Anthony Thompson. He hasn't trained with the squad all year apparently. I wonder if that will change in the next few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Story on the Democrat today that I tried linking to via my phone but can't and I'm not arsed firing up the laptop so here we go.

It's an interview with Anthony Thompson. He hasn't trained with the squad all year apparently. I wonder if that will change in the next few weeks?

I can't imagine how effective he'd be in regards to familiarity with tactics and their love of repetition of new moves on the training field. One area I wouldn't worry about would be his fitness as he seems to be consistently in great running shape. If it's the same article I'm thinking about, he said that he'll be flying to donegal every weekend now so he shouldn't be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Thompson is a big player. He might not be starting in all the games this year, but he is still one of the most experienced players on the team. If push comes to shove, we need lads like him to steady things down.

eddie73 wrote:
    Thompson is a big player. He might not be starting in all the games this year, but he is still one of the most experienced players on the team. If push comes to shove, we need lads like him to steady things down.

I fully agree. I just worry about his preparation, especially after last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

Was down in Gweedore yesterday for their league game with Naomh Connail. Odhran Mac Neilis was superb once again.

His left foot is like a magic wand! His passing and score taking was fantastic once again. And his fielding is just top class. He has an ability to hang in the air and claim ball after ball.

I'm convinced he is the future for Donegals midfield.

He's certainly developing into a fine player alright. I heard some of the young lads for Gaoth Dobhair were very impressive yesterday as well, they seem to have a great crop of young talent there at the minute.

Yeah young Mulligan scored a fine goal in the first half. His pace is frightening.

Game was very nip and tuck up until last 10 mins of the second half when gweedore scored 1.04 without reply.

Cassidy played for Gweedore and won quite a bit of breaking ball in the first half. As the game opened up in the second he kicked two from play. Don't think he's very fit at the moment but he's still a very effective club player fit or not.

Anyone see the "CLICK ON THE LINK ON THE RIGHT (TAKE THE SURVEY NOW)"
    from this -> http://donegalgaa.ie/2015/04/donegal-gaa-strategic-plan-2015-2019-tell-us-what-you-think/

dgl1992 wrote: »
    Was down in Gweedore yesterday for their league game with Naomh Connail. Odhran Mac Neilis was superb once again.

His left foot is like a magic wand! His passing and score taking was fantastic once again. And his fielding is just top class. He has an ability to hang in the air and claim ball after ball.

I'm convinced he is the future for Donegals midfield.

Did McLoone play?

When do the Democrat usually put up their match reports onto the website?

Anyone see the "CLICK ON THE LINK ON THE RIGHT (TAKE THE SURVEY NOW)"
    from this -> http://donegalgaa.ie/2015/04/donegal-gaa-strategic-plan-2015-2019-tell-us-what-you-think/

No, was looking yesterday. Can't find the old plan either.

• Advertisement

McLoone played yesterday and played well. Usual competent ball carrying.

No idea what the issue is with him and the county set up but he is a loss for sure.

Brick was effective too, scored 1.3 in the second half.

Democrat will usually post report tomorrow on Twitter etc. game was at 6.30 yesterday and I don't know who they had down there. Report in today's paper was very brief.

Dunno if the Democrat had anyone there. Brief report means they probably got it second hand and I know they had one of their main men at Glenswilly v Malin.

No mention of Leo on NC Twitter (but full team not named, just score updates), but I see Cassidy got a red card.

Black card RSF, not red.

Black card RSF, not red.

I wouldn't know, was just going off the NC Twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

That eerie time between the end of the league and the start of the championship. You could hear a pin drop. If only I lived in Tír Chonaill, at least I could perhaps strike it lucky and guessed where they trained on a Tuesday evening. Something, something to feed the veins. They could be tripping over each other, forgotten how to solo. There might be a new revolutionary tactic.
    It just never goes in quick enough.

Minor League Champions again - anyone in Omagh earlier?

Wins today in division one for Kilcar over Naomh Conaill in Glenties Glenswilly over St. Eunans in Letterkenny Four Masters over Gweedore in Donegal Town Ardara over Malin in Malin and Table toppers St. Michaels over Dungloe in Dungloe.

Malin yet to win and looking in trouble already. Big win for Ardara there today.

St. Michaels are flying. Be interesting to see if the McFaddens are back on board but they aren't missing em yet!

dgl1992 wrote:
    Malin yet to win and looking in trouble already. Big win for Ardara there today.

Nothing at all against Malin. But happy to see Baker doing well.

dgl1992 wrote:
    St. Michaels are flying. Be interesting to see if the McFaddens are back on board but they aren't missing em yet!

So, Colm Anthony has played no club football since when, last October?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, was just going off the NC Twitter!

Turns out twitter is more accurate than my source was! Should have been black I'm now told! :)

Advertisement