Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm not for a moment defending verbal abuse - on the pitch or off it (but I won't admit to being innocent of the latter...), but I don't see how you can 'observe' sledging - I think it's a step too far that players can't say anything to their opponent?

Peter Canavan told a story on Monday's OTB about Pat McEnaney booking his marker in a game on the basis he saw yer man yapping at Canavan from 50 yards away - that's OTT for me.

It's the latest bandwagon.

"I have never seen such sledging before". "Oh all this sleding has to stop". I've only heard the term recently and now every prick is running with it. It irritates me.

McStay was hyming and hawing in the week about McHugh going to town with the old sledging. McStay, presumably watching on the TV.:rolleyes:

Is verbal abuse wrong? Yes. Is there too much being made of this? I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I'm not for a moment defending verbal abuse - on the pitch or off it (but I won't admit to being innocent of the latter...), but I don't see how you can 'observe' sledging - I think it's a step too far that players can't say anything to their opponent?

Peter Canavan told a story on Monday's OTB about Pat McEnaney booking his marker in a game on the basis he saw yer man yapping at Canavan from 50 yards away - that's OTT for me.

Canavan and Cavanagh been on the airwaves all week whingin bout this. Despite playing for years on the team that have been the market leaders in verbal abuse and other dirty tricks, not saying a word about it, now when a team gives it back to them and is better at football as well they throw the toys out of the pram with the " won't somebody think of the children" stuff.
    Agree with you that apart from very very obvious stuff it can't be policed by a ref What constitutes "verbal abuse"? Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

harpsman wrote: »
    Canavan and Cavanagh been on the airwaves all week whingin bout this. Despite playing for years on the team that have been the market leaders in verbal abuse and other dirty tricks, not saying a word about it, now when a team gives it back to them and is better at football as well they throw the toys out of the pram with the " won't somebody think of the children" stuff.
    Agree with you that apart from very very obvious stuff it can't be policed by a ref What constitutes "verbal abuse"? Where do you draw the line?

Tyrone argue that everyone is as bad, etc and that they dont encourage it but if you see Donegal or Tipp or Kerry against other teams then there seems to be very little verbals or unsavoury stuff.

Its a common theme through from minor-21-senior for Tyrone.

Sad state of affairs if there's truth in the claim that two tyrone players mocked Donegal minor captain Michael O Cearbhuil's fathers death from cancer during the weekend's game and his father being an ex county player himself.

I'm inclined to believe it's true. Don't think the player and Declan Bonner would make that up. Our old friend Peter was on Last Word yesterday trying to muddy the waters by claiming Donegal had changed their story. Not true of course.

Now that Donegal have made this public unless Tyrone apologise then they have to follow through on the accusation so it doesn't end up another McBreatty situation

Re last Sunday game overall a very good win against a highly motivated decent side. Performance patchy. Reminded me a lot of the Down game in 2013 where we started brilliantly and led by 2 at half time with the wind in 2nd half but when we went to accelerate in 2nd half there was nothing in the tank and we were hanging on in the end. Even think we needed 2 monster freed from Murphy late that day too. Hope it's not an omen of what's to come.

Delighted w McFadden. Lacey mixed. O Reilly poor. Surprising how Jim and now Rory have persisted with the Ryan at half back experiment despite him always being expose- last week for 1-1. Time to bring pack Tommo and move Ryan forward.

Anyway need an improvement the next day against the next crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Senior Championship

Group 1

Gweedore 1-08 Glenswilly 1-10

Michael Murphy converted a penalty given away by Neil McGee

Group 3

Glenfin 2-09 Four Masters 3-09

Michael Doherty scored 2-09

Group 4

Kilcar 2-13 Naomh Muire 0-08

Termon 1-11 Killybegs 0-12

Big win for glenswilly there. Neil won't be happy e that

harpsman wrote:
    Re last Sunday game overall a very good win against a highly motivated decent side. Performance patchy. Reminded me a lot of the Down game in 2013 where we started brilliantly and led by 2 at half time with the wind in 2nd half but when we went to accelerate in 2nd half there was nothing in the tank and we were hanging on in the end. Even think we needed 2 monster freed from Murphy late that day too. Hope it's not an omen of what's to come.

Please don't say anything reminds you of 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Please don't say anything reminds you of 2013.
    In particular, please don't say anything reminds you of Down in 2013. The beginning of the end in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I'm inclined to believe it's true. Don't think the player and Declan Bonner would make that up. Our old friend Peter was on Last Word yesterday trying to muddy the waters by claiming Donegal had changed their story. Not true of course.

Now that Donegal have made this public unless Tyrone apologise then they have to follow through on the accusation so it doesn't end up another McBreatty situation

Of course Peter will deny everything as will Ricey & Co as they all see themselves in Mickey Harte's seat in a few years. To be seen to be turning a blind eye to this behaviour would
    be an indicator of an ineptitude in media matters.

• Advertisement

Donegal can't prove it, Tyrone won't admit to it. Typical GAA stalemate. I hope Michael Carroll wins the Ulster Minor title as captain.

Senior Championship results

Group 1

Malin 1-13 MacCumhaills 0-16

Standings
    Glenswilly 2
    Malin 1
    MacCumhaills 1
    Gweedore 0

Group 2

St Eunans 2-10 Ardara 0-07
    Naomh Conaill 2-14 Dungloe 1-07

Standings
    St Eunans 2
    Naomh Conaill 2
    Dungloe 0
    Ardara 0

Group 3

St Michaels 2-11 Cloughaneely 0-07

Standings
    St Michaels 2
    Four Masters 2
    Glenfin 0
    Cloughaneely 0

Group 4

Standings
    Kilcar 2
    Termon 2
    Killybegs 0
    Naomh Muire 0

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Donegal can't prove it, Tyrone won't admit to it. Typical GAA stalemate. I hope Michael Carroll wins the Ulster Minor title as captain.

All ireland more like it. And of course he scores a goal in every game along the way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Is verbal abuse wrong? Yes. Is there too much being made of this? I think so.

I'd agree with you when discussing seniors Nidge but the minors is a totally different story as far as I'm concerned and I think the more it is highlighted at that level the better. Unfortunately as RSF says, it is a stalemate as Donegal cannot prove anything and Tyrone will refuse to admit anything. However Peter Canavan has gone way down in my eyes with his comments about an apology being expected from Donegal for the poor Tyrone lad - absolute cheek of it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

RMDrive wrote: »
    In particular, please don't say anything reminds you of Down in 2013. The beginning of the end in that year.

Well I dont see 2013 in the match v Tyrone last week.

What about the game in 2012, which was a much closer match than the one in 2013? I think that people should give the lads credit, they will be involved in very close matches indeed from here on in, it is not as if Tyrone are a bad team, and any team in an ulster match will lift their game incredibly as it is a prestigious provincial competition to stay in.

We have a similar if not harder game to face in armagh, and they will be running and running at us, rather than laboring or slowing down the buildups.

I was at the last game of division 2 there last year, and they caused us a lot of trouble in the first half when they ran direct with the ball. Could have gotten at least 2 goals if not 3.

eddie73 wrote: »
    Well I dont see 2013 in the match v Tyrone last week.

What about the game in 2012, which was a much closer match than the one in 2013? I think that people should give the lads credit, they will be involved in very close matches indeed from here on in, it is not as if Tyrone are a bad team, and any team in an ulster match will lift their game incredibly as it is a prestigious provincial competition to stay in.

We have a similar if not harder game to face in armagh, and they will be running and running at us, rather than laboring or slowing down the buildups.

I was at the last game of division 2 there last year, and they caused us a lot of trouble in the first half when they ran direct with the ball. Could have gotten at least 2 goals if not 3.
    Ok lets forget 2013.

Be interested to see match odds for this one-we certainly wont be 2/1 on. This is definitely a tougher test than the last game.

harpsman wrote:
    Be interested to see match odds for this one-we certainly wont be 2/1 on. This is definitely a tougher test than the last game.

We are as good as at 8/15 on PP right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

For what it's worth I know it's true. I know one of the minor players well and had it confirmed by a family member of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Minors playing Armagh on Sunday, hopefully they can win after all the distractions after the Tyrone game. I see most of them weren't playing for their clubs last week which seems sensible.

Good to see no injuries for the seniors from the championship either, Jigger getting some football as well so he could be an option later on in the summer.

Minors playing Armagh on Sunday, hopefully they can win after all the distractions after the Tyrone game. I see most of them weren't playing for their clubs last week which seems sensible.

Good to see no injuries for the seniors from the championship either, Jigger getting some football as well so he could be an option later on in the summer.

He came on in Ballyshannon this weekend. Didn't look right. Leg strapped, didn't get into the game at all bar one burst down the corner.

He could easily fade into obscurity.

• Advertisement

He came on in Ballyshannon this weekend. Didn't look right. Leg strapped, didn't get into the game at all bar one burst down the corner.

He could easily fade into obscurity.

Hard to know, still so young anyway. I guess his career could go like the brick's, start with a bang and then fizzle out when someone younger comes along.

he'd give us something different to what we have currently, gallagher seems keen enough to have him anyway.

The minors are trouncing Armagh here.

1-12 to 0-05.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Ha getting better, seen 2-14 to 5pts posted a few mins ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

overshoot wrote: »
    Finished 2-14 to 0-7.
    Excellent comeback as we were 2 points down after 10 minutes!!!

overshoot wrote: »

5-3 down too!

There's an all Ireland there for them. Please God.

Double post.

Could use it to mention Brolly talking shíte today but I can't be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Anyone know how I can either watch the 2014 Dublin game online or get ahold of a physical copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Senior Championship

Group 1

Gweedore 1-08 Glenswilly 1-10

Michael Murphy converted a penalty given away by Neil McGee

Group 3

Glenfin 2-09 Four Masters 3-09

Michael Doherty scored 2-09

Group 4

Kilcar 2-13 Naomh Muire 0-08

Termon 1-11 Killybegs 0-12

Michale Murphy was not fouled by Neil McGee it was the Gweedore number 2, Neil was booked in the aftermath for too much chatting!!

Bit late but really interesting interview with Rory Kavanagh in the democrat.

Kavanagh Interview

My favourite bit is his quote about McGuinness
    I was very sceptical when Jim was coming in, he was the buck who used to drive around Jordanstown with the sunglasses in the Toyota Celica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

RGM wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can either watch the 2014 Dublin game online or get ahold of a physical copy of it?

Would love to see the full game again too, was too busy biting my fingernails on the day.
    Bit late but really interesting interview with Rory Kavanagh in the democrat.

Kavanagh Interview

My favourite bit is his quote about McGuinness

Very good read.

Advertisement