Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

RGM wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can either watch the 2014 Dublin game online or get ahold of a physical copy of it?
    it was on youtube, i had a look after you posted but couldnt find it. maybe rte are starting to clamp down on it but a few other high profile ones still up

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

David Coldrick reffing next Sunday I hear. I suspect he will have a tough afternoon. I expect a new level of thuggery from Armagh that far surpasses what I witnessed in the AIrl QFinal. Hopefully like last year we not to succumb to it and get the job done. I have a bad feeling but hopefully I'm proven wrong come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=jjdonegal;95797730]David Coldrick reffing next Sunday I hear. I suspect he will have a tough afternoon. I expect a new level of thuggery from Armagh that far surpasses what I witnessed in the AIrl QFinal. Hopefully like last year we not to succumb to it and get the jobarrow-10x10.png done. I have a bad feeling but hopefully I'm proven wrong come Sunday.[/QUOTE]
    Watch what you say about Armagh or yer man J Cheever Loophole will be on to take you to task:D:D.

but agree that they will play the physical card-id imagine McGeeney will have them in great shape, and they have some good players. Also the Athletic Grounds will be a big advantage to them-when is the last time we played there?- I was out of the country in 99 when I think we had a replay with them in Armagh. I know they hockeyed us there in 88 on the same day as Ire Eng in Stutttgart-id say anyone who travelled to that one was a real die-hard!! Had the pleasure of being in Cross in 2010!!.

Anyway saying all that I still think we have a bit more quality and not wanting to sound like a broken record id still have the big man up the pitch-not necassarily on the edge of the square but maybe on the 40 where he can have more of an influence but not back mullockin around in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

overshoot wrote: »
    it was on youtube, i had a look after you posted but couldnt find it. maybe rte are starting to clamp down on it but a few other high profile ones still up

Don't think the full game was. I was looking in the weeks after the game, could only get the RTE news piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

QUOTEarrow-10x10.png=fullstop;95801592]Don't think the full game was. I was looking in the weeks after the game, could only get the RTE news piece.URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/#37204520"] QUOTE[IMG]http://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png[/IMG][/URL
    I have the sunday game live and highlights show from that day on my upc box. If there is a way to transfer it and i can figure it out ill gladly make you a copy.

PS anyone know where i can get a tkt for sunday? #gettingworried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'm very worried about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

[/QUOTE]
    Watch what you say about Armagh or yer man J Cheever Loophole will be on to take you to task:D:D.

but agree that they will play the physical card-id imagine McGeeney will have them in great shape, and they have some good players. Also the Athletic Grounds will be a big advantage to them-when is the last time we played there?- I was out of the country in 99 when I think we had a replay with them in Armagh. I know they hockeyed us there in 88 on the same day as Ire Eng in Stutttgart-id say anyone who travelled to that one was a real die-hard!! Had the pleasure of being in Cross in 2010!!.

Anyway saying all that I still think we have a bit more quality and not wanting to sound like a broken record id still have the big man up the pitch-not necassarily on the edge of the square but maybe on the 40 where he can have more of an influence but not back mullockin around in defence.[/QUOTE]

That was the first ever Donegal championship match I attended. Scorching day and my Dad brought me there instead of sitting in and watching the game in Stuttgart. He's actually a soccer fan, but Donegal always comes first. An absolutely miserable performance that day, very similar to 2010 in terms of how lacklustre Donegal were.

For this Sunday, I expect Michael Murphy to be given even worse treatment than what now seems to be the norm. Even so, I don't know why, but I'm feeling confident about this one. Neither team will lack motivation, and man for man, we're a better team. Then again, could be one of those days where everything goes right for Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

harpsman wrote: »
    I was out of the country in 99 when I think we had a replay with them in Armagh. I know they hockeyed us there in 88 on the same day as Ire Eng in Stutttgart-id say anyone who travelled to that one was a real die-hard!! Had the pleasure of being in Cross in 2010!!.

The replay in 99 was in Clones. It was pissing rain, can't remember too much about it.

I remember we played them in the league in the Autumn of 99 in the athletic grounds.

I'd love to give them an absolute trouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'm very worried about this.

Worried, nah. I think our boys have the mentality and know how to cope with what Armagh can throw at them. Much as I echo your wishes of a trouncing Nidge I think we both know Sunday will be tight and tense. However one thing I'm not is worried. Our lads will relish the fact that we're the big dog in this match and Armagh are the ones who need to try and prove themselves. I think they can cope with this and expect them to edge it by a few points once again. My only concern is if Armagh manage to get a goal into the second half but I'm hopeful we can keep a clean sheet and if we do I expect we'll win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I have a batch of covered stand tickets (minimum 3, max 5) I woukd swap straight up for terrace if anyone is interested. No sale, just swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

I love Jim's football structure idea in today's Irish Times. The man is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

88 was my first away match, the great Joey Cunningham tore us apart that day, 2 cracking goals IIRC. Best thing that day was the updates from Stuttgart on the wireless! (Never thought I'd ever utter that term!)

McGeeney will have them up for it but as said above, the pressure is really on them to follow up from last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This is the game I want to win above all others. Armagh away. Just thinking of the beatings the gave us in the last decade, how nice it would be to go to Armagh and get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Murt15 wrote: »
    I love Jim's football structure idea in today's Irish Times. The man is a genius.

I'm not so sure.

Let's just run the scenario Jim presented.
    Let’s say Mayo are the top-seeded team. Then Wicklow will play Mayo – and at home if they win the toss – in a last-16 knockout game with a place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals at stake. Wouldn’t that make it worthwhile scrapping to get out of Division Three?

No disrespect to Wicklow, but this is a dreadful proposition. Everyone in Leinster already has the pleasure of testing themselves against the best and getting hammered by Dublin. In Jim's proposed system, I'm sure Wicklow would much rather just compete for the All-Ireland B, rather than being dumped out by Mayo, especially after putting so much effort into a league campaign and having virtually no chance of winning Leinster.

And then this notion that a relegated team could win a provincial title. Possible obviously, but remotely realistic? The provincial tournaments will just exist exactly as they are.

In his example, Wicklow are guaranteed 2 hammerings - by Dublin in Leinster and then the #1 seeded team in the All-Ireland series.

(I invite any and all corrections on my interpretation of Jim's proposal).

Haven't read it but you'd have to give division 3 and 4 teams home advantage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Presuming the provincial winners come from the top 16 seeds, this is what the bracket would look like this year.

1 Cork
    2 Dublin
    3 Monaghan
    4 Donegal
    5 Mayo
    6 Kerry
    7 Down
    8 Roscommon

9 Tyrone
    10 Derry
    11 Meath
    12 Galway
    13 Cavan
    14 Laois
    15 Fermanagh
    16 Armagh

Cork vs Armagh
    Dublin vs Fermanagh
    Monaghan vs Laois
    Donegal vs Cavan
    Mayo vs Galway
    Kerry vs Meath
    Down vs Derry
    Roscommon vs Tyrone

So in Jim's system, Fermanagh compete for nothing but promotion. They won't win Ulster and they'll get demolished by the higher seeded team in the All Ireland.

Next season they'll battle to stay in Divison 2, won't win Ulster and will get demolished by the higher seeded team (if they're lucky they'll be relegated and have a chance to compete in All-Ireland B). Based on my own interpretation, this system actually doesn't do anything for potentially competitive counties like Tipperary. Imagine they won Munster this year. Their reward in terms of All-Ireland progression? A match against the #1 seeded team in the last 16 - not even a quarter final. As far as I can see, this system just favours the already strong counties.

(Again, I'm open to correction and no disrespect to any counties) The provincial championships are the problem. They make no sense whatsoever and make it impossible for the introduction of championships that would actually be balanced and competitive.

Yep, it's the provincial championships and as was pointed out repeatedly the "weaker" counties keep voting for it.

Eugene McGee made a good point, Leinster is no different to it ever was. People got used to Westmeath, Laois and Kildare challenging but really it has always been Dublin and 1 other rival, usually Meath but Offaly in the 70's and 80s. You can extend that to Munster, if anything it's as competitive as its ever been with Limerick doing ok and Tipperary coming onto the scene. Connaught usually has 1 of the big 3 struggling at some stage and Sligo did come good there recently.

I thought the qualifiers might have opened minds up but the reaction to suggested small changes to the provincials a couple of years ago showed otherwise.

With 4 or 5 serious AI contenders, with about another 12 teams with realistic AI QF hopes the top 2 tiers are fine. Tipperary, Sligo, Wexford and Fermanagh show those 2 tiers can be broken into, us and Mayo show the top tier the same, but it takes huge commitment and structures and bloody minded determination with the right personnel on board.

Sometimes things just come in cycles, Longford were in division 1 not so long ago and beat Derry last year, but that automatically means we'll have maybe 8 teams in the bottom tier. Antrim and Wicklow would be examples of teams that seem to be poorly organised and resourced but even there, both had good runs in the recent past.

A second tier in Leinster, possibly adding a few other counties makes sense to me. Say Carlow, Wicklow, Longford, Offaly and add Antrim, Leitrim, Clare and Waterford, 2 groups with the winners getting into the second round of the qualifiers with some momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

It's the best proposal I have seen so far. It means the leagues are taken 100% serious aswell. Have you any suggestions yourself North of 32

Using your own examples

I would say Tipperary would absolutely love to win a Munster and then have another massive championship match against Cork.

Can you imagine the buzz around Brewster Park at the prospect of Fermanagh v Dublin for a place in the quarter finals. Of course Dublin would be hot favorites but name me a Fermanagh player that wouldn't love that chance.

Murt15 wrote: »
    It's the best proposal I have seen so far. It means the leagues are taken 100% serious aswell. Have you any suggestions yourself North of 32

I've only encountered widespread endorsement of Jim's proposal so I thought it was worth critiquing. It does have advantages. A truly competitive league would be great, and I would personally enjoy seeing teams compete in an All-Ireland B - there would be some good sides & matches in that competition.
    Using your own examples

I would say Tipperary would absolutely love to win a Munster and then have another massive championship match against Cork.
    Of course Tipperary would love to win a Munster. I'd really enjoy seeing that myself. But in Jim's system, they have to go all out in the league, all out in Munster and then at the end, they'd be left with a last 16 tie against the #1 seed. Winning Munster would be a gigantic battle for them. It should at least be worth a tie against a team in the lower half of the bracket.
    Can you imagine the buzz around Brewster Park at the prospect of Fermanagh v Dublin for a place in the quarter finals. Of course Dublin would be hot favorites but name me a Fermanagh player that wouldn't love that chance.
    I can imagine Dublin winning very very comfortably and that's about it. The tiny tiny chance of a glorious championship upset is not enough of an incentive to maintain a system that sees improving teams get hammered twice. We really have to keep in mind just how big the gap is between the All-Ireland contenders and teams between Division 2 & 3.

I don't really understand the GAA's mentality. Jim McGuinness writes about teams having the opportunity to test themselves against the best - tell that to Longford. There's no possibility for a perfect system with so many variables. Geography, club football, amateur status and the prestige associated with existing competitions makes changing anything very difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

jjdonegal wrote: »
    David Coldrick reffing next Sunday I hear. I suspect he will have a tough afternoon. I expect a new level of thuggery from Armagh that far surpasses what I witnessed in the AIrl QFinal. Hopefully like last year we not to succumb to it and get the job done. I have a bad feeling but hopefully I'm proven wrong come Sunday.

:pac: I have to say - nothing if not consistent! And the best of it is, no matters what happens on Sunday, you'll be right!!
    harpsman wrote: »
    Watch what you say about Armagh or yer man J Cheever Loophole will be on to take you to task

Come on now harps' - I've much bigger fish to fry than exuberant newbies like JJ.

Really, really looking forward to Sunday - I think it will be a great occasion for our beautiful City - I just hope the weather holds up and we get a great game.

I have my doubts to be honest that we can take this - we gave you a right rattle last year but at that stage we had built up a good bit of momentum whilst Donegal were hanging around for a bit after the Ulster Final - if I'm honest I think you probably underestimated us a bit and nearly got caught - for us a shock had to happen on day one - a replay would have been well beyond us.

For Sunday I just feel that Donegal are the better team - full stop. I think we can and will give it a hell of a go - home advantage will be just that - an advantage, but I don't believe we have the scoring options to threaten a victory - what we would need would be for Andrew Murnin to have a starring role and for Stefan Campbell to make a brilliant return after a long injury lay off, and of course for Jamie to shine. That's a lot of stars aligning. I still can't wait though and there is great excitement here.

I think we have a good Championship record against yourselves in the Athletic Grounds - I'm open to correction but I think we beat you well in 1981 and in much tighter game might have had a point or two to spare in 1984 in what was a meeting of the 1982 and 1983 Ulster Champions. - we got the only goal that day. The next meeting was then in 1988 – the only major GAA match played that day if I recall correctly. After that we had the qualifier in Crossmaglen in 2010.

One other aside – went to the Minor game last week – that is a seriously impressive team you have there – will go far.

Safe trip to all heading down to the Primatial City – hope youse have an enjoyable day, within reason of course , and I look forward to a titanic struggle……which is the verbal joust here on Monday morning!!

Two of the minors and backroom staff have been banned for 8 weeks apparently.

http://donegalnews.com/2015/06/donegal-minors-hit-by-hefty-bans-county-board-expected-to-appeal/

Two of the minors and backroom staff have been banned for 8 weeks apparently.

An altercation with a Tyrone official apparently.

So Anthony Thompson played in a starred game last weekend before heading back to England. Not a good sign for him starting on Sunday.

Ryan McHugh needs to have an impact after two consecutive Championship matches where he was anonymous. Far from the form that made him Young Footballer of the Year.

Marty O'Reilly will do well to hold his place. But if Thompson isn't going to start, well, there's only one likely replacement. And he hasn't shown any form in a long time.

13-15 will be the keys to the game. Armagh will do well to have a plan to deal with all three but that assumes Colm Anthony continues his climb back towards a decent level.

Midfield too will be an area to watch. I have seen plenty there lately to concern me.

Overall I think we have better players, 1-15 at least. No idea on their depth. Aaron Kernan is just as big a loss to them as Leo or Rory are to us.

As to who's on the line, there is no Jim. Armagh will take something from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I am suspicious of this suspension. Reading on the armagh fan gaa website, there is no word of an altercation at half time. You then must assume it was something that was said....by 4 of the donegal outfit??

Given the history from the previous week between donegal and tyrone, it is no surprise to me that a tyrone official reports 4 donegal players. Probably knows that the donegal county board will appeal, and therefore make them look incredulous.

The one good thing about this is that it if the donegal claims are correct from the first day out, and they are innocent of the armagh incident, it will be massive motivation for them to push for the all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There does appear to be serious tension building up between the Donegal and Tyrone GAA camps - lets hope they can sort it out and move on. Appeal is going in today for the suspension and I really think Donegal are being hard done by here so hopefully the appeal will be successful.

On to Sunday, Rory is playing it nice and low key in this interview on the Irish Times. I especially like his last line “We are quite happy with what we’re seeing from the lads every night.”.
    No team named yet but I think we can expect at the most 1 change from the last day out with O'Reilly being the one at risk. As you say RSF it's not looking too good for Thompson to get the nod so we may well end up with Mark and Ryan starting - either that or Doherty comes in and Paddy moves up.
    I'm sure Rory has a plan for dealing with Dias (man marker?) and Clarke (Neil) given how they performed last year.

Biggest thorns in our side last year were Soupy (might not be fit enough for Sunday), Kernan (gone) and Mallon IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Team named, Thompson in for O'Reilly. Strong looking team, should be good enough to win.

1. Durcan
    2. McGrath
    3. N McGee
    4. E McGee
    5. Thompson
    6. Lacey
    7. McGlynn
    8. Gallagher
    9. McElhinney
    10. Toye
    11. MacNiallais
    12 R McHugh
    13. McBrearty
    14. Murphy
    15. C McFadden

16 Boyle 17 Doherty 18 M McHugh 19 H McFadden 20 O'Reilly 21 Walsh 22 G McFadden 23 McGinley 24 Griffin 25 E McHugh 26 Hensey

I for one will be delighted if the team starts as named as it's our strongest 15 as far as I am concerned. Thompson's fitness/form the biggest question mark for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Anyone know where I'd get 2 tickets ?

Advertisement