Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Anyone know where I'd get 2 tickets ?

Ive got one spare terrace tkt if its any use. Feel free to pm me

I'm not so sure.

Let's just run the scenario Jim presented.

No disrespect to Wicklow, but this is a dreadful proposition. Everyone in Leinster already has the pleasure of testing themselves against the best and getting hammered by Dublin. In Jim's proposed system, I'm sure Wicklow would much rather just compete for the All-Ireland B, rather than being dumped out by Mayo, especially after putting so much effort into a league campaign and having virtually no chance of winning Leinster.

And then this notion that a relegated team could win a provincial title. Possible obviously, but remotely realistic? The provincial tournaments will just exist exactly as they are.

In his example, Wicklow are guaranteed 2 hammerings - by Dublin in Leinster and then the #1 seeded team in the All-Ireland series.

(I invite any and all corrections on my interpretation of Jim's proposal).

Afaik Wicklow would only be playin Mayo if they they were one of the top 16 teams by virtue of league position or winning the Leinster championship. In those circumstances theyd be entitled to play the top teams. I dont think we should be gettin our knickers in a twist over the odd hammering. In 2013 Mayo beat Donegal by 16 points and it could have been worse. Lopsided contests happen in all competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hopefully Thompson starts, even if he isn't fit he won't get fit on the bench.

None of the McHughs anywhere near wing half back please.

So in Jim's system, Fermanagh compete for nothing but promotion. They won't win Ulster and they'll get demolished by the higher seeded team in the All Ireland.

Next season they'll battle to stay in Divison 2, won't win Ulster and will get demolished by the higher seeded team (if they're lucky they'll be relegated and have a chance to compete in All-Ireland B). Based on my own interpretation, this system actually doesn't do anything for potentially competitive counties like Tipperary. Imagine they won Munster this year. Their reward in terms of All-Ireland progression? A match against the #1 seeded team in the last 16 - not even a quarter final. As far as I can see, this system just favours the already strong counties.

(Again, I'm open to correction and no disrespect to any counties) The provincial championships are the problem. They make no sense whatsoever and make it impossible for the introduction of championships that would actually be balanced and competitive.

So Whats your solution then? Stop counting scores and give everybody a medal? Excuse the sarcasm but Im not sure what you want.

Btw you re wrong about Fermanagh only competing for promotion. For starters theyve come closer to winning an Ulster title in the last decade than Cavan or Derry and arguably Down, and they should have gotten to the AIF IN 2004 so theres no reason why they cant compete again in Ulster.

Also if they did get relegated they would compete for the 2nd tier championship as well as the provincial.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    1. Durcan
    2. McGrath
    3. N McGee
    4. E McGee
    5. Thompson
    6. Lacey
    7. McGlynn
    8. Gallagher
    9. McElhinney
    10. Toye
    11. MacNiallais
    12 R McHugh
    13. McBrearty
    14. Murphy
    15. C McFadden

16 Boyle 17 Doherty 18 M McHugh 19 H McFadden 20 O'Reilly 21 Walsh 22 G McFadden 23 McGinley 24 Griffin 25 E McHugh 26 Hensey

I for one will be delighted if the team starts as named as it's our strongest 15 as far as I am concerned. Thompson's fitness/form the biggest question mark for me.

Thank god Ryan McHugh not in defence. Cost 1-1 the other day. Really is a liability back there. Does look a pretty strong team with great scorin potential, in theory😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What's the capacity for the athletic grounds tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    What's the capacity for the athletic grounds tomorrow?

Think around 18,000.

:pac: I have to say - nothing if not consistent! And the best of it is, no matters what happens on Sunday, you'll be right!!

Come on now harps' - I've much bigger fish to fry than exuberant newbies like JJ.

Really, really looking forward to Sunday - I think it will be a great occasion for our beautiful City - I just hope the weather holds up and we get a great game.

I have my doubts to be honest that we can take this - we gave you a right rattle last year but at that stage we had built up a good bit of momentum whilst Donegal were hanging around for a bit after the Ulster Final - if I'm honest I think you probably underestimated us a bit and nearly got caught - for us a shock had to happen on day one - a replay would have been well beyond us.

Safe trip to all heading down to the Primatial City – hope youse have an enjoyable day, within reason of course , and I look forward to a titanic struggle……which is the verbal joust here on Monday morning!!

Typical Armagh fightin talk😭

Gonna be tight. Armagh fast improving. Hope to scrape it. Enjoy all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is anyone watching this shyte! The game is shockingly boring.

Honestly the Ireland v England soccer game was more entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well this is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Armagh are brutal, but very good performance by Donegal in that half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Trilla wrote: »
    Is anyone watching this shyte! The game is shockingly boring.

Honestly the Ireland v England soccer game was more entertaining

Really?

It's not much of a contest but it's been an exhibition of football from Donegal so far.I usually don't enjoy one sided games but the quality of Donegals play so far is a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Really?

It's not much of a contest but it's been an exhibition of football from Donegal so far.I usually don't enjoy one sided games but the quality of Donegals play so far is a joy to watch.

I think it was sarcasm! Great result. Nothing like hammering that lot!

Stick that in your pipe McGeeney.

Facile win in truth. That in itself is very satisfying. One more performance like that and we'll be in another final.

McIver and Derry in the long grass Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Great first half performance. Our forward line is looking so much more dangerous than last year. Hard to judge since the game was so once sided but Mark McHugh is looking back in 2012 form.

Hopefully, Eamon McGee, McBrearty and Colm are back next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Great stuff from our boys. 2nd half was a non-event. Armagh were very poor. No harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

For me, Rory Gallagher's contribution was the most impressive of the day. The game plan was just perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Stick that in your pipe McGeeney.

Facile win in truth. That in itself is very satisfying. One more performance like that and we'll be in another final.

McIver and Derry in the long grass Saturday week.

Yep, 2 sweet victories over Tyrone and Armagh, beat Derry now and were at the same stage as Kerry and Cork are, after their impressive runs through Munster:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Delighted with the performance today. We brought pace and intensity to the game and literally blew Armagh off the park in the first half. They couldn't match our physicality with Murphy outstanding. Mark McHugh was a vital cog in the game plan playing the sweeper role to perfection. We were patient in possession and got good width on the ball dragging the Armagh defence all over the pitch. We ran excellent angles and continually penetrated their defence.
    The second half was a bizarre display from Armagh. Needing to chase the game they continued to drop three men back in front of our lone man inside. Donegal just put the ball through the hands, most of the time under no pressure, and refused to kick the ball into the Armagh defence.
    We really outsmarted them tactically and Rory deserves great credit for this. McGeeney was badly shown up today with a complete failure to adapt tactically after the first half humiliation. He will have to answer a lot of questions after that display.
    We looked very light on the bench today and injuries to Eamonn and Patrick would stretch our resources against Derry. Patrick was an excellent target man today and destroyed his marker. He was helped by the quality of the ball played into him.
    A very positive display which sets us up nicely for the Derry game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

That in itself is very satisfying.
    Exactly the word iv been using. Feels a nice turn around after all those years!

As said above, thought paddy and mark had great games. McHugh extremily intelligent in some of his moves. There's was one run after a high ball in just to block any chance of the Armagh man getting it before it went out which summed him up.

Would have liked to have seen us press on second half but amagh had the 14man blanket out and did nothing when we passed it about midfield. It killed the game and any chance they had to build momentum.

As said above, Rory was spot on with his tactics.

Only worrying things going forward, the injuries, what happened Colm McFadden? Assume something there too? Thought toye was too easily pushed over at times too, very unlike one of our strongest carriers

• Advertisement

That was surreal. Brilliant 1st half, obviously although Armagh were very poor. Never thought Id see an Armagh team managed by McGeeney coming out in the 2nd half with the sole intention of keeping the score down. Talk about theowing in the towel.

Anyway showed that we should be serious contenders this year and would expect to beat Derry based on what we've seen

overshoot wrote:
    Only worrying things going forward, the injuries, what happened Colm McFadden? Assume something there too? Thought toye was too easily pushed over at times too, very unlike one of our strongest carriers

Colm Anthony was laid up all week with a virus apparently. Thought Christy started poorly but got better.

Murphy, Eamonn McGee and McBrearty all hobbled. Can only assume that the hamstring affected Paddy's last shot. He probably should have been taken off before that.

harpsman wrote: »
    r. Never thought Id see an Armagh team managed by McGeeney coming out in the 2nd half with the sole intention of keeping the score down. Talk about theowing in the towel.

It was delicious. He looked like he was in turmoil on the sideline.

Good enough for him. Not a peep out of that shower today which was also pleasant.

Thought Coldrick reffed it excellently. Made important calls early on which meant they couldn't get a run with their dark arts, unlike McQuillan in the quarter last year who was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think Nidge summed it up best, facile win and very satisfying because of that. I must say I'm impressed with everything Rory has done so far this year, he hasn't put a foot wrong yet.
    That said, Armagh were shocking. For me this just proves that Kieran McGeeney just doesn't have what it takes to be an inter county manager. He'll have a team which is fit, strong and looks the part but ultimately clueless tactically and doesn't know how to adapt things from the sidelines. Long may he continue!

It was delicious. He lookedarrow-10x10.png like he was in turmoil on the sideline.

Good enough for him. Not a peep out of that shower today which was also pleasant.

Thought Coldrick reffed it excellently. Made important calls early on which meant they couldn't get a run with their dark arts, unlike McQuillan in the quarter last year who was a disgrace.
    Ok, think its time to move on. In fairness to the Armagh team of the last decade they always beat us because they were a much better team and like most great teams they had a bit of the bully about them(I know there were a few nasty incidents but like I say its in the past).
    Anyway had the misfortune of standing beside one particularly obnoxious Donegal supporter yesterday(Ive a feelin hes from my own town!!) so got my fill of gloating-would have been apologising to any Armagh supporters had I had any near me.

Anyway great to great to be the top dog at the moment and lets enjoy it while it lasts but remember this is a public forum so do it gracefully( whatever you say behind closed doors:):)).

Still think Monaghan are the team to beat in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

harpsman wrote: »
    Ok, think its time to move on. In fairness to the Armagh team of the last decade they always beat us because they were a much better team and like most great teams they had a bit of the bully about them(I know there were a few nasty incidents but like I say its in the past).
    Anyway had the misfortune of standing beside one particularly obnoxious Donegal supporter yesterday(Ive a feelin hes from my own town!!) so got my fill of gloating-would have been apologising to any Armagh supporters had I had any near me.

Anyway great to great to be the top dog at the moment and lets enjoy it while it lasts but remember this is a public forum so do it gracefully( whatever you say behind closed doors:):)).

Still think Monaghan are the team to beat in Ulster.

Monaghan have the lovely draw we got last year so it's hard to look past them for Ulster. They will be coming in extremely fresh and the added bonus of playing at home is worth a point or two as well.
    Regards Derry on the 27th; I honestly think it will be the hardest game thus far. 13 day turnover is short enough and I always remember Jim saying 3 weeks was the ideal. Listening to some of our fans yesterday; we are in the Ulster final already. Dangerous talk.
    First time we have ever beaten Tyrone and Armagh in the same championship; that has a satisfying sound to it.
    Armagh supporters beside me very gracious in fairness to them and I wish them the best of luck and a long run. More Ulster teams that do well is perfect in my eyes.
    Roll on the 27th and hopefully some of this crap I'm hearing about Derry being a non event stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Great stuff from our boys. 2nd half was a non-event. Armagh were very poor. No harm.

None taken - in fact you are spot on.

First of all, congratulations on the victory. I was afraid something like this would happen and unfortunately it did. I've no issue with getting beaten but I'd like to see the team perform to the best of their ability and unfortunately that was not the case yesterday.

Not really a lot to add - very chastening experience. Tremendous first half performance yesterday by your boys which put the result out of reach. I honestly believe that Donegal have come on significantly since last year and must be there or thereabouts for the ultimate prize.

For us, a season in Division 3 is simply no preparation for such a formidable test as that posed yesterday - however if we can get a couple of favourable draws in the qualifiers then we might yet get a trip to Croke Park over the Summer. Just need to regroup and build a bit of momentum and confidence.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Regards Derry on the 27th; I honestly think it will be the hardest game thus far. 13 day turnover is short enough and I always remember Jim saying 3 weeks was the ideal. Listening to some of our fans yesterday; we are in the Ulster final already. Dangerous talk.
    First time we have ever beaten Tyrone and Armagh in the same championship; that has a satisfying sound to it.

Armagh supporters beside me very gracious in fairness to them and I wish them the best of luck and a long run. More Ulster teams that do well is perfect in my eyes.
    Roll on the 27th and hopefully some of this crap I'm hearing about Derry being a non event stops.

That always happens though. People get a run of themselves. To be fair it doesn't really come from people who know what they're on about and the media in the county don't really go along with it either.

It was a hallmark under Jim that it was very much one game at a time and there'd be nothing taken for granted.

Rory and the boys are around enough not to take any game lightly. Its not like Derry in a semi final is anything remotely like an easy game anyway.

I don't think our lads do complacency. The 13 day turnaround is a tricky one but that was a handy game yesterday it's not like they had to over exert themselves. We're going well though so far and can improve a lot again. We should have too much for Derry, if we don't, I daresay it's because we've taken them for granted.

But I do think I this years Ulster championship has been geared towards a Monaghan win from the outset. It'll be an incredible achievement for us to win it.

The unnamed minor players are free to play apparently. According to Frank Craig on Twitter there was a hearing last night.

I'm not worried about Derry. They will likely present a sterner test than Armagh, but it will not be as tough as Tyrone. They were blessed to beat Down at home. Injuries and the short turnaround might have an impact, but this group of players won't lose the run of themselves.

But of course, as Rory likes to say, each game takes on a life of its own....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The unnamed minor players are free to play apparently. According to Frank Craig on Twitter there was a hearing last night.

I'm not worried about Derry. They will likely present a sterner test than Armagh, but it will not be as tough as Tyrone. They were blessed to beat Down at home. Injuries and the short turnaround might have an impact, but this group of players won't lose the run of themselves.

But of course, as Rory likes to say, each game takes on a life of its own....
    The two minor officials are still waiting to hear their fate.
    Tyrone's behaviour around our minor team has been disgusting.
    The original abuse was a line that should never be crossed. You then had Canavan going on radio and basically accusing Mícheal Carroll of telling lies about his dead father. Then a Tyrone official makes a claim that doesn't stand up when investigated.
    Pathetic and totally unacceptable behaviour from a county that really needs to have a hard look at itself.

Advertisement