Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Half back only. I still don't know why he didn't get game time during the league.

I found it very strange myself also. FWIW, I'd have no real reservations about him in the full back line either if needed. Purely as back up mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't really mind if he's behind one or two others on the bench, for me it's just nice to see him back in the panel and that he wanted to come back in. It's another vote of confidence in Rory and shows that the mood must be really good in the camp. Now if someone could just persuade Leo...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

No one will persuade Leo, him and Rory don't get on or see eye to eye AT ALL... there will be no Leo as long as Rory is manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

jimbo32123 wrote: »
    No one will persuade Leo, him and Rory don't get on or see eye to eye AT ALL... there will be no Leo as long as Rory is manager!
    hmm rory wasnt who i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

i heard that story aswell relating back to a championship game a few years back, bit of a glen rivalry, any truth to it?

• Advertisement

ah wasnt from the horses mouth so can never say 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I found it very strange myself also. FWIW, I'd have no real reservations about him in the full back line either if needed. Purely as back up mind.
    Agreed. Personally I thought he had great potential to be a very good player a few years ago but just hasnt progressed. Assuming we eventually get back to our usual back 6 Id be happy enough with him as replacement utility back but maybe he's lost form, considering he hasnt seen game time since Mayo '13- maybe hes suffering from post traumatic stress disoreder from that day:P.

Surprised that Leo doesnt get on with Rory or whoever-thought he was a more easy going type. Pity as need a couple more players-not that I would have him starting.

Monaghan into the final. Impressive second half from them, they scored 1-13.

Big gulf in class between the teams in the end up. Serious outfit, Monaghan. They'll take some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It has been announced on radio today that anybody travelling to the game in Clones via Omagh should either avoid Omagh altogether or go very early. Long delays are expected due to some event there on Saturday.

yes, it's the All Ireland Cycling Championship that's on this weekend - as opposed to any ongoing anti Donegal bias in Tyrone! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Avoiding Omagh is a pain in the hoop from recollection. Thankfully I won't have that problem.

Looking at Google, I wonder if folks are better off going by Enniskillen, even if coming from, say Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

I'd say so. I'll be going via Castlefin/Castlederg and joining up with Enniskillen road near Kesh.

Not that much in it distance wise, roads aren't the best on that route but beats sitting in traffic in Omagh.

Avoiding Omagh is a pain in the hoop from recollection. Thankfully I won't have that problem.

Looking at Google, I wonder if folks are better off going by Enniskillen, even if coming from, say Letterkenny?

How'd you get to enniskillen, via pettigo? Are they saying just a blanket avoidance of Omagh?

Now ye have me thinking Enniskillen is going to be a nightmare if all the traffic goes through it!

edit... just seen this on donegal gaa updates facebook, going to be a disaster
    For anyone travelling to Clones on sat via Enniskillen give yourself extra time. The road up past old hospital is closed to southbound traffic which means that all traffic is going straight on at Donnelly garage. This is leading to queues at times of 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm trying to avoid Enniskillen as well. It will be Castlederg - Drumquin - Dromore - Fintona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Any buses heading up/down direct to Clones from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Good luck with that.

For the Ulster Final between Monaghan and Tyrone in 2010 I had to get the bus to Monaghan town and then hitched a lift from one of the many helpful fellows from the Farney heading to Clones.

There were some Ulster Buses connecting up at Monaghan Bus Station but I don't know what transpired then.

getthere.ie suggests not - only direct bus listed only gets into town at half time! I've never used that site but maybe you could try the "Request a lift" section - though you might have more luck here or on the likes of the hogan stand forum!

Try Cassidys on Camden Street. Jamesie sometimes runs one.

I saw that post on Facebook about Enniskillen. There's nothing on the AA site about delays..

I don't know the route that's being referred to (the old hospital?) but coming by Ballyshannon vs coming by Pettigo brings you in at different points in the town. Not sure if that will avoid the potential mess.

You can also bypass Enniskillen by turning right in Belleek and heading down through Belcoo/Blacklion and Florence Court. It's usually a very quiet road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I saw that post on Facebook about Enniskillen. There's nothing on the AA site about delays..

I don't know the route that's being referred to (the old hospital?) but coming by Ballyshannon vs coming by Pettigo brings you in at different points in the town. Not sure if that will avoid the potential mess.

You can also bypass Enniskillen by turning right in Belleek and heading down through Belcoo/Blacklion and Florence Court. It's usually a very quiet road.

Came through Enniskillen on Sunday and thre was notice of a road closure... the Cornagrade road... it's the road that takes you down from the Kesh road to the Ballyshannon/Dublin road... past the GAA grounds and old hospital. Could cause delays even coming in from Ballyshannon, definitely coming from Pettigo.

unless its closing more than i think its not going to add to your route.... just a matter that all traffic is now going to be put onto the same road.

think il be doing redsox route and going to derrylinn and you can turn up from there. found that link taking a chance behind a taxi when there was a huge tailback to lisnaskea!!

This is what I was going to suggest but didn't know how practical it was for you boys the wrong side of the gap.

Ballyshannon- belcoo/blacklion- Florencecourt and then head for Cavan. Turn off for Clones just after Belturbet.

That's usually the way we go. We go that way to Dublin too. As you said, roads are quiet by clones standards. Just have to weight it up.

I see Derry have named a team. O'Boyle for Heron. O'Boyle less mobile so I dunno if they will set up differently than they did against Down.

But anyway, traffic getting to Clones will be a bigger problem.

Ok so given how quiet we all are about the match, if I'm reading the mood right I think most fans are confident we can beat Derry but just don't want to appear too arrogant. Does anyone think Derry might win this? It looks like they're going for size and strength over skill but I don't think that really works against our lads. Time will tell but I expect us to win and the margin to be somewhere between the margins over Tyrone and Armagh - so comfortable win for us in other words. I don't think the lads will be in any way complacent.

If we play at a decent level – something like we have seen for the past two games, then I don’t see how Derry will beat us. They don’t have the talent or the belief.

Still, let’s say Donegal do as they have done for the past two games and go hell for leather from the word go. Let’s say Paddy McBrearty pulls up lame and Derry have a defender who can do a job on Colm McFadden. Derry play us to a draw in the first half, having defended deeply and rode their luck. In the second half, Derry go on the offensive and as Donegal have burnt themselves out, Derry are able to see out the game and win by a few points after a Mark Lynch goal and Michael Murphy goes 0/3 from long range frees. Sean Leo McGoldrick ties up the usually effective Frank McGlynn and Doherty and Holly dominate midfield.

That's usually the way we go. We go that way to Dublin too. As you said, roads are quiet by clones standards. Just have to weight it up.

This is the route I take Maynooth->Letterkenny. Very little traffic.

Re: the match.

Derry are a strong side, two campaigns in division one in the trot. I suspect this will be the toughest game yet.

They'll be tight on our boys inside and can wreak havoc in the middle, but that's nothing new for us. We typically tend to get cleaned out in the middle anyway.

For them to win you'd think they'll need to keep a clean sheet while plundering at least 2 goals themselves. Is that likely? Probably not. That being said we do leave a bit of space inside this year Tyrone and Armagh have gotten in fr soft chances/goals.

Cliche thought it may be, looking after ourselves if we perform to our usual level we will win. Will be tough though.

Team named

1 Durcan
    2 Mc Grath
    3 N McGee
    4 E McGee
    5 M McHugh
    6 Lacey
    7 McGlynn
    8 Gallagher
    9 McElhinney
    10 Toye
    11 MacNiallais
    12 Ryan McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 Colm Anthony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I actually think that team may start too!! When was the last time that happened?!?

If we play anything close to our A game, we should win without too much problem. Getting a good start and a lead and Derry heads could drop. I could see us struggling to win ball around the middle but hopefully McBrearty can have another good game and McFadden can continue his good form.

Advertisement