Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

SO Leo is back...wonder who made the approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

doc_17 wrote: »

On another note, the Co Board have called a fixtures meeting for tomorrow even to discuss the Master Fixtures Plan. It was scandalous, no shock there, what happened some teams at the weekend. And apparently the starting 15 have been told that they are not allowed to play for their clubs again this weekend, even though the 13 day rule doesn't apply and all star fixtures have been played. And that's even before you take last weeks matches, where some teams refused to field because of being told their players couldn't play, into account.

Update now is that all club matches are postponed until after the Ulster final. This probably means all club matches postponed until Donegal are knocked out. Story here. Personally I think this is a bit of a cop out by the county board. Last weekend sounds like a bit of a farce but I see no good reason for postponing matches this coming weekend. All of this will come to a head eventually as it cannot continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Just to bolster the squad it would be great to get Jigger and even Brick Molloy back in.
    Anyone know what the story with Brick is? I know he is limited but the more options we have inside at 13-15 the better.
    Any updates on Jigger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Thought he withdrew when jigger jumped him in the pecking order. Tbh id rather have brick there than griffen or hmcf. Great news with Leo back, brick would suddenly give us a much better looking bench.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Great news. Didn't see it happening myself. It's a pity it took this long but hopefully he will make an impact.

Great impact sub to have for Monaghan and hopefully match sharp for whatever may come after the final.
    Who knows maybe he is up to speed and ready to start on the 19th but cannot see it myself.

• Advertisement

There arg no circumstances in which McLoone should start on the 19th. None. Might as well tell 16-30 to go feck themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Jigger has been injured as opposed to out of favour as far as I know. Looked like he was with the team last weekend.

doc_17 wrote:
    There arg no circumstances in which McLoone should start on the 19th. None. Might as well tell 16-30 to go feck themselves.

You put your best 15 on the pitch. If someone gets the hump over that so be it.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    You put your best 15 on the pitch. If someone gets the hump over that so be it.

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

No league games this weekend. Bit of a farce really. Most teams couldn't care less where they finish in the league as long as it's not in the bottom 2.

Everyone knows championship is where it's at.

Club players want games and won't be thanking the clubs who brought this to a head when they are playing league games in October

• Advertisement

That's one angle RSF - another would be that you have to earn your place on the team. I think Leo will be a great option from a bench that has very few options but agree with doc, I don't think he deserves to start the next day.

Jaysus if he's fit enough, Leo has done enough to earn his place. He's given a hell of a lot over the past four years. He took some time out, kept his head down and by all accounts is going well for his club.

Fair points RSF but it does count for something that he made the decision not to be available for selection up to now, not Rory. Anyway I'm just delighted he's back in the panel and will trust Rory to make the right call on whether to start him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Nonsense. 16-30 is non existent anyway.

I agree with RSF. Best 15 starts, if he's in that bracket he's in. No question about it.

This gives us the option now at least of having Christy or someone on the bench. A player who can give us a real difference coming in.

I see the argument about boys training all year but it's not something that ever bothered me that much. I'm sure most on here have been dropped at some stage if you played the game at all, it stings, if it's for someone who hasn't trained much then you do feel abit disgruntled and pissed off. Then you grow up and get over it. And that's only the club. Inter county players are a different breed, they'll just want the Anglo celt by hook or by crook. Leo's return gives them a massive boost toward doing that.

There's a difference to my mind also between Leo coming back now and talk of Mark McHugh returning for the AI series last year for example. Him having fannied around America for the summer as we know. That would have been disruptive and a circus and probably wouldn't have added anything to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Nonsense. 16-30 is non existent anyway.

I agree with RSF. Best 15 starts, if he's in that bracket he's in. No question about it.

This gives us the option now at least of having Christy or someone on the bench. A player who can give us a real difference coming in.

I see the argument about boys training all year but it's not something that ever bothered me that much. I'm sure most on here have been dropped at some stage if you played the game at all, it stings, if it's for someone who hasn't trained much then you do feel abit disgruntled and pissed off. Then you grow up and get over it. And that's only the club. Inter county players are a different breed, they'll just want the Anglo celt by hook or by crook. Leo's return gives them a massive boost toward doing that.

There's a difference to my mind also between Leo coming back now and talk of Mark McHugh returning for the AI series last year for example. Him having fannied around America for the summer as we know. That would have been disruptive and a circus and probably wouldn't have added anything to the squad.

Christy nearly always brings a positive impact coming off the bench, especially if the attacking plan is getting stifled. It's very uplifting when he comes on fresh & runs at defences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Christy nearly always brings a positive impact coming off the bench, especially if the attacking plan is getting stifled. It's very uplifting when he comes on fresh & runs at defences

The term 'wrecking ball' comes to mind.

Marvellous footballer. One of our very best imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

It would be interesting to know who made the first move and why it was made now. It would also be interesting to know why that first move wasn't made before the championship began. As with all these kinda situations, it would also be interesting to know why he dropped out of the squad to start with.
    Depending on what that reason was and why he's only coming back in now, I only hope this doesn't create any tension within the squad.

Interesting....someone punch me in the face before I start on a rant about pregnant Kerry women & Leitrim winning the AI......

Welcome to Boards Martin Beag!

It would be interesting to know who made the first move and why it was made now. It would also be interesting to know why that first move wasn't made before the championship began. As with all these kinda situations, it would also be interesting to know why he dropped out of the squad to start with.
    Depending on what that reason was and why he's only coming back in now, I only hope this doesn't create any tension within the squad.

Interesting....someone punch me in the face before I start on a rant about pregnant Kerry women & Leitrim winning the AI......

Yeah this is generally what I would agree with. This business someone mentioned about intercounty footballers being a different etc and could let things wash off their back easily is an interesting comment. I'd say it's probably true but before I would definitely agree with it in the context of these players I'd like to know why the player walked away. There were rumours about the Naomh Conaill lads not being somebody's biggest fan!

Yeah this is generally what I would agree with. This business someone mentioned about intercounty footballers being a different etc and could let things wash off their back easily is an interesting comment. I'd say it's probably true but before I would definitely agree with it in the context of these players I'd like to know why the player walked away. There were rumours about the Naomh Conaill lads not being somebody's biggest fan!
    So long as the squad is happy, I'm happy with him coming back in and if Rory sees fit, I'd be happy with him starting v Monaghan.
    It just seems strange that he's coming back in now and despite being very curious about the whole situation, I can only give all involved the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not gonna cause any issues with the rest of the squad.

• Advertisement

A few things on Leo:

It doesn't like look like there will be any club games in July and August so maybe he felt he may as well train with the County!

Rory Gallagher has said all along that the door was always open for players to come back. If he had said otherwise and then welcomed Declan Walsh and Leo back, that would be a different matter.

I agree the timing is odd. To sit out the league is one thing, but strange that he wouldn't have wanted to play against Tyrone in Ballybofey? But, maybe something happened in his private life that allowed him to come back now? Or, maybe he just really doesn't like Monaghan.

There are more than a handful of lads on the Donegal panel that have no chance of seeing meaningful game time this summer, Leo or no Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Jigger is out injured he is still attending training and travelling to matches. He's 3 weeks away from fitness as far as I know.

I don't rate Hugh McFadden at all. He's an average footballer IMHO. Nowhere near that level. The Brick brought a lot more to the table and it would be brilliant to see him following McLoone and Walsh back into the set up

I don't think it's fair to call Hugh McFadden an average player. Two fairly knowledgable & respected managers have seen enough in him to include him in the senior panel for the last two years despite him still only being an u21. He has his limitations, particularly around tackling, but that can only improve with more experience at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Basically every single detail of what happened!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I don't think it's fair to call Hugh McFadden an average player. Two fairly knowledgable & respected managers have seen enough in him to include him in the senior panel for the last two years despite him still only being an u21. He has his limitations, particularly around tackling, but that can only improve with more experience at senior level.

When has he shown any signs of being an above average player at either 21 or senior level. I'm not saying he hasn't I'm just saying I have yet to see it.

When has he shown any signs of being an above average player at either 21 or senior level. I'm not saying he hasn't I'm just saying I have yet to see it.

I heard he was pretty good in the Ulster Under 21 Final this year?

I was at the Final last year and he was decent, but not outstanding or anything.

His role for the seniors seems very limited. I don't know whether that is down to confidence, ability or is he told to keep it very simple.

I just don't know what his best position is for the County. It doesn't look like he's ready to take over for Big Neil when he calls it a day, that's for sure..

Hugh McFadden was very good against Kerry in the league this year. I know the league isn't the same as championship but that was a very good game that both teams went at to win

Good to hear. I'm not knocking him. It's very easy for me to sit here and criticise him, I'm just giving my honest opinion. Hopefully if there is good football in him that he comes through and does well for himself

Most people I know don't rate him. I have seen glimpses of what he might offer (great point in Tralee etc) but to be honest it's hard to see how he fits into this team. I am trying to give him (and the managers who have picked him) the benefit of the doubt for now.

Whether we like it or not, he could well be the future....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Well done to the Donegal U14 ladies, who drew against Roscommon in the All-Ireland today.

Rematch in 2 weeks.

Advertisement