Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In case anyone missed it, BBC Championship reported earlier that Drew Wylie could make the Ulster Final. Injury is medial ligament rather than the other.

Long shot but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    In case anyone missed it, BBC Championship reported earlier that Drew Wylie could make the Ulster Final. Injury is medial ligament rather than the other.

Long shot but still...

I have it from a Monaghan man that Drew Wylie will start the final it's only a bluff. He tweaked his hamstring and that's the height of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Long shot but still...

Seen today after further examination they seen it was the medial and not the ACL. You'd wonder if he needed an arthroscopy or if the MRI picked it up.

Anyway, I'd be surprised to see him start. If he does then that'll be alright because he won't be fully fit. He's a brilliant player so any reduction in performance will be beneficial.

Quiet enough, seems to be a full compliment available. Jigger back in full training afaik.

They're away to a training camp this weekend so we can probably expect to see the same couple of interviews rehashed a thousand times next week.

I finally got around to watching the whole Derry game and reviewing the stats this week. It was a bad performance.

Why did we shoot so much?

There was a definite lethargy/tiredness about us. The Iazy shooting. The lack of support runners at one point in the first half. Michael's last free (I didn't expect him to score, but it should have been kicked dead).

We can do better, but what we saw against Derry was worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Good to see Derry win yesterday. With Armagh out and Tyrone stuttering it doesn't say much for what we've beaten so far.

It's pretty hard to predict how it'll go next weekend, hopefully we'll have recharged the batteries and be full of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Good to see Derry win yesterday. With Armagh out and Tyrone stuttering it doesn't say much for what we've beaten so far.

That's a really weird attitude.

Good to see Derry win yesterday.

Blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Blasphemy.

ha, gives us an opportunity to beat them again:pac:

Rory on Leo

'Going well in training....':rolleyes:

Expects him to be in match day sqaud for Sunday :)
    Gallagher added the McLoone's contribution to Donegal football in recent seasons means that he has been welcomed back into the panel with open arms.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Jigger is out injured he is still attending training and travelling to matches. He's 3 weeks away from fitness as far as I know.

I don't rate Hugh McFadden at all. He's an average footballer IMHO. Nowhere near that level. The Brick brought a lot more to the table and it would be brilliant to see him following McLoone and Walsh back into the set up
    Think its a bit early to write him off. Most 21 year olds are a bit raw and improve alot between 21-25. Id say if 2 managers have him there at this age theres a good chance he will develop into a very good player. On the other hand he may not:(.

Jaysus if he's fit enough, Leo has done enough to earn his place. He's given a hell of a lot over the past four years. He took some time out, kept his head down and by all accounts is going well for his club.
    The fact that hes fit and has played well in the past(personally Ive not been wildly inpressed with his performances in Croke Park) does not mean hes done enough to start. Sure, if hes absolutely flyin for the club and in training then that might justify it, but Id be surprised to see him start. But I agree, good to have him back.

It would be interesting to know who made the first move and why it was made now. It would also be interesting to know why that first move wasn't made before the championship began. As with all these kinda situations, it would also be interesting to know why he dropped out of the squad to start with.
    Depending on what that reason was and why he's only coming back in now, I only hope this doesn't create any tension within the squad.

Interesting....someone punch me in the face before I start on a rant about pregnant Kerry women & Leitrim winning the AI......
    Every time Martin tells that story its a different county involved.

Begiining to think the Leo/Rory stories were a bit like the ol Mickey Harte/Stephen O Neill dodgy house stories in 08- ie total rubbish. If there was bad blood theres no way hed be coming back mid season imo.

Don't you just know it'll be Tyrone in round 4 for the loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Could well be Tipp then. I think Tryone are vulnerable, they just don't have the forwards to put up big scores and Tipperary are putting up big scorelines this year. It'll come down to how well they can penetrate the blanket.

Derry seem to be gathering more steam, and from the small bit of highlights of the Wexford game, seem to be getting more bodies forward. I suppose that's easier to do against a team like Wexford, bit it seems they are trying to develop the system.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

How do you rate Monaghans chances against them ?:D

K-9 wrote: »
    Could well be Tipp then. I think Tryone are vulnerable, they just don't have the forwards to put up big scores and Tipperary are putting up big scorelines this year. It'll come down to how well they can penetrate the blanket.

Derry seem to be gathering more steam, and from the small bit of highlights of the Wexford game, seem to be getting more bodies forward. I suppose that's easier to do against a team like Wexford, bit it seems they are trying to develop the system.

I really don't think so. Much as it would be better for us. Even given the fact they are away I think Tipp will be doing well to keep this within 5/6 points. Tyrone far superior.

Interesting games this weekend all round. Tip v Tyrone, Derry v Galway, Kerry v Cork.

One thing you can say is that we really don't want to be in the draw on Monday morning.

In other news Monaghan have done a really naff promo video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfweG_5Oafo Has McManus been taking tips from Liam Neeson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Has anyone else seen Eamon McGee and Cassidy's comments to each other on twitter?

Thinks it's a bit foolish and outspoken of Eamon in the lead up to the game this weekend to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Has anyone else seen Eamon McGee and Cassidy's comments to each other on twitter?

I didn't think too much if it. Looks like EMG wanted to call BS on Cassidy. If its true and he did sit out a club game who knows, regardless
    I think the fact that it's all local to Donegal and not within the squad then I can't see it being too damaging, certainly won't motivate any opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Don't think there was too much in it tbh but at the same time I do wish players would leave the phone down when it comes to making their views known on twitter - rarely does any good come from it.

• Advertisement

Eamon is right enough though.

So is the Ardara manager when he said of Cassidy 'his whole series of Gaelic Life pieces since the start of the year have been either sour grapes or contradictory'.

I wouldn't worry about it tbh. At least he isn't on the beer or slagging off Conor McManus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Cass thought he was all set for a life in media after hanging up his boots but it seems most media outlets saw him as a lad with a large chip on his shoulder with very little decent insight into the game. It's a shame he can't just let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

I get the sense that Cassidy liked seeing Donegal, especially under Jim, losing. At someone tweeted back at him, his articles are sour grapes. And the one he wrote last year after the All Ireland caused real annoyance with the Donegal lads at his club and that's why what happened in Termon happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

What happened in termon?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

Cassidy was on the line during the Gweedore V Glenswilly game in the championship earlier in the year and to be honest if he was playing it could of been that little bit of nouse that was needed in that game to take them closer to Glen who weren't firing on all cylinders...

In Termon i presume you mean the after math of the game and not the incident in the game itself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

jimbo32123 wrote: »
    Cassidy was on the line during the Gweedore V Glenswilly game in the championship earlier in the year and to be honest if he was playing it could of been that little bit of nouse that was needed in that game to take them closer to Glen who weren't firing on all cylinders...

In Termon i presume you mean the after math of the game and not the incident in the game itself??

Spill the beans what happened? On both:)

It's about time Cassidy was called out for talking out of his arsehole.

Everything he writes has the stench of bitterness and envy. It's a shame really to see from somebody who contributed so much.

His articles are consistently poor.

Double post.

It's about time Cassidy was called out for talking out of his arsehole.

Everything he writes has the stench of bitterness and envy. It's a shame really to see from somebody who contributed so much.

His articles are consistently poor.

It's a real shame alright. I had a degree of sympathy with him back in 2011, but I was largely in Jim's corner. His subsquent utterings have tended to support Jim's decision (as does the fact we won the All Ireland in 2012...)

Cassidy was a beast of a player for Donegal. We managed without him in 2012, and I don't think he would have made a difference in 2013 as we were just fooked anyway. In 2014, he would have been getting on and might not have been first choice anyway. I'm not clear that he would be fit for the sort of the role that Frank and Thompson have tended to play. I'm sure he might have been an asset in other ways, but such is life - he doesn't sound like he would have stuck with it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

After the All Ireland final last year Cassidy wrote a piece that said Donegal should have won at least one more Sam but that Jim's decisions cost Donegal. He was fairly critical of a man that the three county men in his panel loved. They didn't all play in Termon. Some suggested injury, some others theories are doing the rounds.

Advertisement