Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

jdbarry wrote: »
    It said during the week we couldn't play either Tyrone or Derry because we've already played them. So Galway it is, even if we win that we have Mayo in the quarters and Dublin in the semis, not a nice route!

That's odd. It's the right thing to do of course but they should ensure that its rolled out across the board in future.

Fermanagh v Antrim this year twice for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Nidge what did you think about Toyes ball carrying today? Its his biggest asset apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Sense of entitlement? Behave yourself.

LOL. You need to get over yourself.
    What your point about league results has to do with anything I'm not sure. We're not a team that puts massive emphasis on the league. We were a last minute point away from being relegated in 2012 (AI winners) and operated out of division 2 last year (AI finalists). "Carrying that form over" is such bollocks anyway I can't even be arsed going into it.

My point is that your general attitude of dissing anything negative said about Donegal GAA and your sense of entitlement regarding a "a thrown away Ulster championship" has no semblance of reality to it and shows a complete lack of respect to your winning opponents (its called grace in defeat). Monaghan were simply better. This should have come as no shock as they beat yis earlier this year in the league. As I pointed out Donegal's performance at the highest level this year has been poor.

This is not 2012. This is 2015. This is where you are.
    The first half approach was totally and utterly wrong (Management error). The second half was better where we changed our approach and began running the ball (was that not a different approach) with support runners off the shoulder. We then made wrong options at times and kicked a horrific number of wides. They did (because they are) look tired though so blue Peter badge for you for picking up on that. Well done.

In the first half there was a period of 25 minutes where Donegal didnt score. Yes management should have done something about it.

You can keep your Blue Peter badge as silverware for 2015.
    So yes, Donegal pissed that game away through incompetence on the line and the worst shooting in a long time.They could have won it pulling up had they been at it.

So it wasnt a case of Monaghan being the better team then.
    Also, they "beat Donegal at their own game" and they "out donegaled Donegal" has to be the laziest, most tiresome tripe that will be trotted out for the rest of the week. Up there with "the blanket" and "negative football".

Well that is the game you play despite apparently having the most intelligent and naturally gifted footballers in the country. :)

Talk to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Different rules for different rounds. I agree with the A and B split, gives us two weeks now to recover. It would have been either Tyrone or Derry if Galway had lost yesterday, so that's a blessing. Another game against either would have been very tough.

Anyway, I reckon we'll beat Galway, hopefully without too much effort expended or any injuries. Last thin we need is a repeat of that Laos game in 2013. Now is the time for Rory to mix it up a bit and give a few other players a starting spot. How we handle Aden OShea in the quarters is another question though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Sense of entitlement? Behave yourself.

What your point about league results has to do with anything I'm not sure. We're not a team that puts massive emphasis on the league. We were a last minute point away from being relegated in 2012 (AI winners) and operated out of division 2 last year (AI finalists). "Carrying that form over" is such bollocks anyway I can't even be arsed going into it.

The first half approach was totally and utterly wrong (Management error). The second half was better where we changed our approach and began running the ball (was that not a different approach) with support runners off the shoulder. We then made wrong options at times and kicked a horrific number of wides. They did (because they are) look tired though so blue Peter badge for you for picking up on that. Well done.

So yes, Donegal pissed that game away through incompetence on the line and the worst shooting in a long time.They could have won it pulling up had they been at it.

Also, they "beat Donegal at their own game" and they "out donegaled Donegal" has to be the laziest, most tiresome tripe that will be trotted out for the rest of the week. Up there with "the blanket" and "negative football".

Donegal were put under pressure for a lot of the misses you had today. Monaghan's defence was strong, hard working and ultimately led to Monaghan's victory. Donegal didn't piss the match away, they met a strong side and were bettered by a slim margin.

• Advertisement

Nidge what did you think about Toyes ball carrying today? Its his biggest asset apparently.

Stick to the soaps like a good child.

Insightful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Shocking shocking game. Rory Gallagher was clueless on that line IMO.

Still though we could have drawn the game if Marty O Reilly (open to correction) had of put the ball over the bar in the last attack instead of passing back inside.

Depressed!

Jesus man you seem awful rattled.

Is everything alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Felt this year the age profile might show with Donegal but i'm not so sure thats why they lost today. I felt there was a distinct lack of appetite for the fight and it manifested as soon as Monaghan settled down early in the first half. Its a case of being able but not being willing imo.

In truth, Monaghan really allowed Donegal back into it. Had they been up against a side who didn't afford them such respect they'd have lost convincingly. Can see Mayo repeating the trick of 2013.

• Advertisement

Insightful.

Seen much of Toye yourself by the way? Down through the years like, you must have a wealth of experience of watching Donegal and St. Michaels.

STB. wrote: »
    LOL. You need to get over yourself.

My point is that your general attitude of dissing anything negative said about Donegal GAA and your sense of entitlement regarding a "a thrown away Ulster championship" has no semblance of reality to it and shows a complete lack of respect to your winning opponents (its called grace in defeat). Monaghan were simply better. This should have come as no shock as they beat yis earlier this year in the league. As I pointed out Donegal's performance at the highest level this year has been poor.

This is not 2012. This is 2015. This is where you are.

Except there's been plenty negative about Donegal by me on this very board for one :confused: And as for this sense of entitlement? I went to the vast majority of games Donegal were involved in for nigh on twenty years without them winning as much as a McKenna cup. Every single thing we win is a blessing and nothing is taken for granted, ever. So save me the posturing, thanks.

We've been poor at the highest level. We got to a league semi final and got to an Ulster final. So we were in the top 4 teams in the league and the top two in Ulster. Is that poor is it?:confused:
    So it wasnt a case of Monaghan being the better team then.

Not particularly no. I've seen them play much, much better than that (against us) and they can definitely improve alot. It'd be good if they could cross the quarter final hurdle and they should do if they improve. They just about did enough today but couldn't have had any real complaints if they had have conceded that equaliser although they would have naturally felt they missed an opportunity given how off par we were.
    Well that is the game you play despite apparently having the most intelligent and naturally gifted footballers in the country. :)

And there this is again. I said I was confident about us having cuter, more intelligent footballers than the dubs and having more natural footballers in our 15. Donegal decimated the unstoppable Dublin. It's time you just boxed it off and dealt with it.

Talk to ya.

Aye.

Still though we could have drawn the game if Marty O Reilly (open to correction) had of put the ball over the bar in the last attack instead of passing back inside.

Depressed!

Think it was Big Neil.

I thought he was in a good position for a snapshot myself, he'd rode one challenge and had taken a bounce inside, he was on the turn but inside the D, and central. I thought he would have thrown a shot out over shoulder. Would have been a big one to take on I suppose and I would be loathe to have a go him for recycling the ball to McBrearty behind him. (Not that you were doing that).

Seen much of Toye yourself by the way? Down through the years like, you must have a wealth of experience of watching Donegal and St. Michaels.

I'm getting the impression you think the "95" in my name is my DOB? Thats cute. Wrong but cute. Well I probably havent seen as much as you admittedly but I have seen enough of him to see he is not the same player as when ye won the AI. I guess he has declined with age somewhat. Just from watching this years matches. And also reading your latest post about stopping the unstoppable Dubs I think I've realised your problem. You are talking about performances from last year. There is A new season going on? I presume you have realised this so why talk about last year or what Toye used to be like? If you came up against the dubs and played like ya did today ye wouldnt stop them. I find its best to talk about this years performances when talking about this years championship. Also theres loosing with class and there is being a sore loser throwing toys out of the pram. I guess age might give experience but it doesn't always stop a good auld hissy fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Triboro

So when do they give date and venue for qualifier?

I'm getting the impression you think the "95" in my name is my DOB? Thats cute. Wrong but cute. Well I probably havent seen as much as you admittedly but I have seen enough of him to see he is not the same player as when ye won the AI. I guess he has declined with age somewhat. Just from watching this years matches. And also reading your latest post about stopping the unstoppable Dubs I think I've realised your problem. You are talking about performances from last year. There is A new season going on? I presume you have realised this so why talk about last year or what Toye used to be like? If you came up against the dubs and played like ya did today ye wouldnt stop them. I find its best to talk about this years performances when talking about this years championship. Also theres loosing with class and there is being a sore loser throwing toys out of the pram. I guess age might give experience but it doesn't always stop a good auld hissy fit.

The dubs post came a month or two ago during a discussion about the last years championship, in particular the semi finals.

And Toye was better in 2014 than in 2012. Notwithstanding that the post about his ability and prowess is an assessment based on the past 14 years.

So no, you don't really know what you're talking about. I'd just leave it there to be honest.

The dubs post came a month or two ago during a discussion about the last years championship, in particular the semi finals.

Untrue. It was at the start of the month (in the Champsionship thread, linked a few posts back) when you where winding up other posters about how good the Donegal 15 are in the context of the current champsionship, and how the current Dublin team were only youngsters with nothing under their belt. When it was pointed out to you that the vast majority of the current Dublin panel have 2 AI medals and countless NFL medals and POTY accolades, you continued talking out your rear end about the Dubs being rattled. I said it then, you have some shock coming to you.

We've been poor at the highest level. We got to a league semi final and got to an Ulster final. So we were in the top 4 teams in the league and the top two in Ulster. Is that poor is it?:confused:

Ah Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda.

There are winners and losers. No prizes for second place.

You cannot even be graceful in defeat. I'll leave you to live in the past.

Aye Aye.

The dubs post came a month or two ago during a discussion about the last years championship, in particular the semi finals..

And Toye was better in 2014 than in 2012.

So no, you don't really know what you're talking about. I'd just leave it there to be honest.
    And again Nidgeyboy. This isnt the 2014 Championship.
    Its the 2015 Championship
    so Toyes performances last year are still irrelavent to this years performances. Maybe in 2016 you might start talking about this years Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

**** me. That's about all I can muster up on that day. Even though we had the chance to equalise, I think we deserved exactly what we got out of the game.

Yes, we kicked a million stupid wides during the second half but a lot of them were Hail Mary efforts that we generally never used to take on. That was down in part to excellent defending by Monaghan as well as an unwillingness by ourselves to actually commit bodies in numbers to the attack (although this improved as time ran out).

I'm frustrated, I'm annoyed, I'm pissed off but I'm not overly surprised. Despite the clamouring to declare him a tactical genius and the naive expectation by a lot of us that he had something up his sleeve for Monaghan, Rory succumbed to his go-to ultra defensive game plan for today that was never going to be enough.

If nothing else, at least it won't hurt too much when Galway beat us compared to if it had been one of the other two.

Triboro wrote: »
    So when do they give date and venue for qualifier?
    Announced 2nd Aug for game. Venue still tbc.

And again Nidgeyboy. This isnt the 2014 Championship.
    Its the 2015 Championship
    so Toyes performances last year are still irrelavent to this years performances. Maybe in 2016 you might start talking about this years Championship.

Lets just have a recap here.

There was a discussion between Donegal posters about a Donegal player Toye. Someone said he was quick. Other said he wasn't quick but he has other attributes, namely he's a good ball carrier and strong. Which he is.

You have come on being snide asking how his ball carrying was today, presumably fishing because Donegal have lost. Bravo.

You've then said that Toye declined from the AI win. This shows you don't know what you're talking about as he actually had a better year in 2014.

You are now rabbiting on about living in the past or whatever.

Is this where we are at here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

I was on the hill today and thought it was a big mistake by Donegal to sit back in numbers inviting Monaghan to attack them in the first half. At one stage in the first half Donegal had 15 players within 50 metres of their own goal.
    Donegal should have pressed Monaghan higher up the pitch imo.
    Donegal lost because of Gallaghers poor tactics and terrible shooting at goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Fukn disaster. 16 wides. 11 in 2nd half. 59 mins with no score from play. Mayo will absolutely annihilate us in the QF if we scrape by Galway. I dread the thoughts.
    You can blame Gallagher all you want but he didn't kick 7 scoreable wides.
    McFadden never frustrated me more than he dine today. Still absolutely livid with him as he cost us 3 turnovers which led to points and all where from attacking positions which could have led to scores.
    Shocking performance. Jesus I actually dread what will happen if we beat Galway. Obviously I hope we do but we will be severely embarrassed by Mayo due to having only 7 days to prepare.

Untrue. It was at the start of the month (in the Champsionship thread, linked a few posts back) when you where winding up other posters about how good the Donegal 15 are in the context of the current champsionship, and how the current Dublin team were only youngsters with nothing under their belt. When it was pointed out to you that the vast majority of the current Dublin panel have 2 AI medals and countless NFL medals and POTY accolades, you continued talking out your rear end about the Dubs being rattled. I said it then, you have some shock coming to you.
    riginally Posted by Peist2007 View Post
    The dubs got their tactics spectacularly wrong. That is why they lost. Sending your half back line marauding up the pitch is a sure fire way to lose to Donegal.

They believed their own bull**** and hype that they could just go and outgun teams. That's how they play, fair dues to them. Donegal play a different way and have more intelligent and natural footballers who picked them off with consummate ease. The game was over 2 minutes after the restart.

The posts were specifically referring to last years championship match.

And you're bleating on about we're going to get shocked this year. I've expressly said in this very thread several times that we'll end up on the heap by round 4/ QF beaten by a fitter fresher team.

You cannot even be graceful in defeat.

If you say so.
    Congratulations. Another one chalked up and won't be the last. We didn't play as we can and as such can't have any complaints about the result only a frustration and 'if onlys' which count for fúck all and which is 100 times worse than had we gone out and just been wiped away by Kerry like Mayo did to us last year.

Heartbroken.
    Just wanted to give my sincere congrats as a Donegal man for your great win on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, that defeat hurt alot and will for a long time. We needed 3 in a row as a county after the things we've been through but it wasn't to be.

The highest praise I can give you is that your performance on Sunday is exactly the type of performance I longed to see a Donegal team produce in Ulster finals against Armagh in 02,04,06. You's have had plenty of heartbreak too and to see the duck broken in the fashion which you did was extraordinary and full credit to yous. Yes, Donegal were below par but I honestly think even if we had have performed we would have lost. The desire and hunger your players showed was simply immense and they are a credit to your county.

I hope the heads aren't still suffering. Best of luck in Croker in the quarter final, I have no doubt you will give a very good account of yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

**** me. That's about all I can muster up on that day. Even though we had the chance to equalise, I think we deserved exactly what we got out of the game.

Looking in that's about right I think. Monahan going five points up in the second half was significant. Even though the win was there the fight was not there in the first half. It seemed that if Donegal had kicked it on a little more for the last 5 minutes, Monaghan looked like they hadn't the legs for it.

It just didn't happen, there were not enough scoring options once Murphy was held and McBrearty had an off day.

It was very close, both teams were out of fuel at the end.

I was surprised to see Lacey coming off. He's been popping up for a point or two under the radar.

The posts were specifically referring to last years championship match.

And you're bleating on about we're going to get shocked this year. I've expressly said in this very thread several times that we'll end up on the heap by round 4/ QF beaten by a fitter fresher team.

They are posted in the "The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship thread". Once again thats the 2015 Thread. All of your language is in the present tense.
    We've got intelligent natural footballers from 1-15. Dublin don't.
    Donegal play a different way and have more intelligent and natural footballers

Thats what you said. You were tackled on it at the time. You persisted posting nonsense.
    If you say so.
    I do say so. And so have others in response to your ramblings about Donegal throwing away the Ulster Championship this year, rather than being gracious in defeat.

No amount of posting previous posts to previous matches can hide that. Anyhow I am done here. I get no satisfaction on calling people out on stuff, even when they come accross aggressively and resort to insults.

And hey, its only a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Depressed!

just back from the match. Totally agree that Gallagher et al lost it. The first few minutes they pressed up for the Monaghan kickouts and went 3-0 up. Then , like the parting of the Red Sea, all hands headed for defense allowing Monaghan the run of 3/4 of the field. As in Letterkenny this year Monaghan found opportunities to score and took them particularly the half-backs pushing up. At times there was no pressure being applied to the man on the ball. Lung bursting runs by Donegal players in warm conditions are pointless especially when the ball ends up being played back. They have been at this all year and Monaghan easily counteracted it.

Down 4 points into early in the 2nd half Donegal began to press further up the field. They had Monaghan now but lacked the composure under pressure and choose wrong options time and time again. Toye and McFadden were atrocious and were directly responsible for 2 Monaghan points. Movement up front non-existent as has been all year but as the ball isnt going to be played in there is hardly any point. Mc Glynn our only real line breaker. Reilly came on as a centre half forward and stood there as if he was nailed to the spot -ffs. There were acres of space but when there is no plan B rehearsed - what do you expect.

Big Neil came into the game, McNiallais non-existant(I pity the stupid pointless running he and others had to do in the first half) the McHughs tried but as I have been pointing out all year there effectiveness is nullified by opposing blanket defenses.

Well done Monaghan more hunger and better know howon the side line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well, anyone who had been at our games this year won't be surprised at what they saw today. It's still very disappointing to lose a final.

First half was awful. Much like Letterkenny earlier this year. Monaghan played us like chumps, and despite all the bodies at the back, Monaghan were able to recycle the ball until they had a man in space in the scoring zone.

Second half, it was better, our defence especially. But it took us too long to get going and take the game to them.

The 16 wides and Paddy's last shot will get all the attention, but that only masks the real underlying issue - our attacking strategy and decision making is awful. Our shooting has been very poor in too many other games lately to just write it off to one of those days. This from a team that used to have such an efficient strategy and has plenty of experience. Was there anyone on the team who wasn't rotated in at full forward? What did this achieve exactly?

All the guff we heard about how Donegal looked like they were playing with more freedom this year and that this was now 'Rory Gallagher's team' sounds even more hollow now.

In general, we looked a tired team in the first half - there was a real lack of intensity. That's a real concern.

I didn't really see why Christy Toye was the first to go. That turnover was hardly on him as he was given no way out by his teammates. Is Lacey injured or what? I haven't watched it back yet do don't know if Toye and Lacey were as bad as their hooking suggested.

Colm McFadden had a shocker - but the signs were there against Derry - sure he scored two points, but he took six shots to do so.

We left it far too long to bring on Leo. His style was suited to today's game. Fresh legs would have made a difference.

Jigger showed well for the ball but in general was ignored.

Anthony Thompson is a shadow of himself.

Frank McGlynn was immense. Scored a point, made a fantastic defensive play in the second half and generally ran himself into the ground.

The two McHugh's did well in the second half. But, their size will always count against them against physical teams.

I thought MacNiallais and McElhinney had far too little impact for players who can score and also for two lads who represent the future.

They kept the Michael injury quiet. Hard to say what impact it had, but he didn't contribute much.

Is Paddy injured or not? Seemed to be lame at times. Hard to criticise him if he is. But you wonder.

I am very concerned by how this year ends. Would happily draw a line under it after today to be honest.

But, I'll be there the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

A game is won over 70 + minutes and today showed the lack of, as Giles would say, moral courage. I've posted numerous times this year that allowing teams uncontested possession of the ball from kickouts is a bankrupt philosophy. Would Dublin, Mayo or Kerry allow this. Against Tyrone they were at this and remember Tyrone has two good goal opportunities. Numerous time today 4,5, or 6 Donegal players were within 15 meters of each other serving no purpose. Two negative Donegal coaches on the side line messed up. Contest everything as if your lives depend on it.

Again well done Monaghan the desire and fire in the belly was there as well as unity of purpose.

They are posted in the "The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship thread". Once again thats the 2015 Thread. All of your language is in the present tense.

The post was about tactics for that game being wrong and Dublin believing their own hype and puff going into that game. Any talk about how they play was intended as reference to last year. They don't play the same way this year. It was bookended by saying that particular game was over 2 minutes into the second half. It's not intended to be taken as a specific reference to any potential meeting between the two in the future as the circumstances going into the same
    will be markedly different.
    I do say so. And so have others in response to your ramblings about Donegal throwing away the Ulster Championship this year, rather than being gracious in defeat.

No amount of posting previous posts to previous matches can hide that. Anyhow I am done here. I get no satisfaction on calling people out on stuff, even when they come accross aggressively and resort to insults.

And hey, its only a game.

So I'm apparently ungracious because my assessment of the game leads me to think we've pissed away a massive opportunity to win a provincial championship? And I strongly believe that.

My congratulations were offered immediately after the game to those around me as they always are and always will be and via text to those appropriate. I wouldn't say that's ungracious. I've no problem with Monaghan, I know 2013 meant to them what 2011 did to us and I'd love to see them get to a semi final and give it a real crack.

I've given you two of the worst defeats I've encountered and the reaction to them which should be proof enough. Anyway, you can think what you want, is cuma liom.

Thanks for stopping by, enjoy what remains of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Well, anyone who had been at our games this year won't be surprised at what they saw today. It's still very disappointing to lose a final.

First half was awful. Much like Letterkenny earlier this year. Monaghan played us like chumps, and despite all the bodies at the back, Monaghan were able to recycle the ball until they had a man in space in the scoring zone.

Second half, it was better, our defence especially. But it took us too long to get going and take the game to them.

The 16 wides and Paddy's last shot will get all the attention, but that only masks the real underlying issue - our attacking strategy and decision making is awful. Our shooting has been very poor in too many other games lately to just write it off to one of those days. This from a team that used to have such an efficient strategy and has plenty of experience. Was there anyone on the team who wasn't rotated in at full forward? What did this achieve exactly?

All the guff we heard about how Donegal looked like they were playing with more freedom this year and that this was now 'Rory Gallagher's team' sounds even more hollow now.

In general, we looked a tired team in the first half - there was a real lack of intensity. That's a real concern.

I didn't really see why Christy Toye was the first to go. That turnover was hardly on him as he was given no way out by his teammates. Is Lacey injured or what? I haven't watched it back yet do don't know if Toye and Lacey were as bad as their hooking suggested.

Colm McFadden had a shocker - but the signs were there against Derry - sure he scored two points, but he took six shots to do so.

We left it far too long to bring on Leo. His style was suited to today's game. Fresh legs would have made a difference.

Jigger showed well for the ball but in general was ignored.

Anthony Thompson is a shadow of himself.

Frank McGlynn was immense. Scored a point, made a fantastic defensive play in the second half and generally ran himself into the ground.

The two McHugh's did well in the second half. But, their size will always count against them against physical teams.

I thought MacNiallais and McElhinney had far too little impact for players who can score and also for two lads who represent the future.

They kept the Michael injury quiet. Hard to say what impact it had, but he didn't contribute much.

Is Paddy injured or not? Seemed to be lame at times. Hard to criticise him if he is. But you wonder.

I am very concerned by how this year ends. Would happily draw a line under it after today to be honest.

But, I'll be there the next day.
    As usual good analysis RSF. A few things to add.
    Paddy to me looks like a lad who is afraid his hamstring will go at any minute, clearly it is tight and he's not at 100% but we need him out there.
    Murphy certainly isn't 100% but I can't for the life of me understand why he's not the the edge of the square given that.
    Odhran was massively disappointing today, really felt he lacked the heart for the battle when he was needed.
    McElhinney was disappointing but I don't see him as having the same talent as Odhran.
    Leo definitely should have been in earlier and Colm just pissed me off hopefully for the last time today. For a lad his age and with his experience, his decision making is shocking and some of those shots were just pathetic.
    As others have said, the tactics of pushing up and running at Monaghan clearly worked so am at a loss as to why they didn't stick with this.
    Lastly - I was certain that was a point at the end. Hopefully will see in the SG later but it sure looked good to me - strangely none of the players seemed to protest about it so maybe it was wide but you would have thought those behind the goals had the best view!
    All that said, the lads gave it everything in the second half and I saw enough to be optimistic they can lift it again for Galway. However, should we win, Mayo in the quarters now looks like a very daunting prospect - I'm not sure we want to see that again!

Advertisement