Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

All that said, the lads gave it everything in the second half and I saw enough to be optimistic they can lift it again for Galway. However, should we win, Mayo in the quarters now looks like a very daunting prospect - I'm not sure we want to see that again!

You'd wonder if we'd nearly be better off just getting the bullet in two weeks and be done with it. Get the championship ran off at home asap, get a few
    months good rest over the winter, proper u-21 manager in (respect to maxi) and start cutting through the squad and getting bucks in.

Feels like the seasons over to me, id no real AI ambitions but we really could have got an Ulster out of it which would have bridged the gap abit.

Who knows though we could spring one on Galway/Mayo and then it's the Dubs. And us with men barely fit to run :D Rory's winning matches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Agree with a lot of the analysis above but two more points to add.
    Firstly
    First half,
    Four or five short kick outs to Frank Mc Glynn (Donegal's man of match) and he carried to half way/opposition 65 and turned back as no options ahead, no runners off the shoulder/change of direction runs meant we were standing static on opposition 65 from our own kick out. We should surely have some other options either to take kickouts or options for the ball carrier. Was Lacey already injured/ legs gone at this stage.

Early second half,
    They did not dwell on it on the Sunday game, but to kick three scorable chances wide in early second half, and then Monaghan stretching the lead was where the match was lost. Cant blame tactics or management for that. Just bad shooting, and possible shot selection, on the pitch. The heads dropped for a while after that. I think we would have kicked on and won that had we scored one or two of those.

Galway a good enough next game. Big day in Castlebar again.

Firstly
    First half,
    Four or five short kick outs to Frank Mc Glynn (Donegal's man of match) and he carried to half way/opposition 65 and turned back as no options ahead, no runners off the shoulder/change of direction runs meant we were standing static on opposition 65 from our own kick out. We should surely have some other options either to take kickouts or options for the ball carrier. Was Lacey already injured/ legs gone at this stage.

Early second half,
    They did not dwell on it on the Sunday game, but to kick three scorable chances wide in early second half, and then Monaghan stretching the lead was where the match was lost. Cant blame tactics or management for that. Just bad shooting, and possible shot selection, on the pitch. The heads dropped for a while after that. I think we would have kicked on and won that had we scored one or two of those.

Is it Castlebar right enough?

Great memories of 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

The last time we played them at this stage in 2009 it was in Sligo, I'd imagine it would be the same again, unless has it been announced for Castlebar? That day in 2003 was pretty class alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It's not announced but I would say Sligo would do the job. It was upgraded between 2003 and 2009 so that's probably why Castlebar in 2003. But won't get the crowd to justify Castlebar. Sligo holds 18,000; Castlebar 38,000.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It's not announced but I would say Sligo would do the job. It was upgraded between 2003 and 2009 so that's probably why Castlebar in 2003. But won't get the crowd to justify Castlebar. Sligo holds 18,000; Castlebar 38,000.

I have memories of a decent crowd there in 2009. I think the terrace was full but don't think the stand was.

Sligo would do rightly and would be 'fairer'. Shouldn't have to traipse up to Dublin for this.

The quarter after Galway in 2009 worked out well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Sligo should do the job grand considering about 10,000 of us will now likely be putting the hats, scarves & headbands away for another year.

"They're useless". "They're finished". "That's me done with that crowd".
    All things I heard while walking back to the car today.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

This might get ridiculed but my thoughts for Galway game are that risks need to be taken and a core cohort rested on the bench with the option to call on late in the game.
    Doherty for Eamon.
    Walsh for Lacey.
    McFadden for Big Neil.
    McLoone for Toye.
    Jigger for McBrearty (to get that bloody hamstring sorted)

I would like to think those players would have the hunger and pride to put in performances to see us over the line and hopefully put a strong claim in if we get through.
    We need the above as fresh as possible cos if we get through to Mayo my mind is on damage limitation.
    It could backfire and Galway beat us but my god we need to start looking long term too as I would be expecting a retirement or two this year.
    I'm absolutely dreading the battering Mayo are going to give us if we somehow get over Galway.
    So bloody sickened still as it's not like 2013 when we were absolutely dominated. I really thought we deserved a draw out of that today but too bloody wasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Im a monaghan and am delighted tonight but whats the story with murphy . Was he injured? , and if so why wasnt he at 14 ?
    Complete waste playing him out the field

That was the lowest point for me. I was away on holidays in 2010 when Crossmaglen sealed the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Firstly
    First half,

Early second half,

Agree that some of the chances were storable but you would have to admit that Donegal gave Monaghan far too much space and territory in the first half and outscored them in the second when they pushed up in the last 15-20. Like I said 14 players retreating to the halfback line is a tactic that lost them the game. Management at fault.

cjmc wrote:
    Im a monaghan and am delighted tonight but whats the story with murphy . Was he injured? , and if so why wasnt he at 14 ? Complete waste playing him out the field

We are wondering the same. I can understand why he's played deep when fit, but given he was limited today, he probably could have contributed more at 14. But that tactic would have demanded reasonable ball and players in support of him for knock downs etc. Hard to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

So many things were wrong.

But not as wrong as Donegal having to play Tyrone, Armagh, Derry and Monaghan to reach an All-Ireland quarter final, while Kerry have played Tipperary and Cork. Just read that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I have memories of a decent crowd there in 2009. I think the terrace was full but don't think the stand was.

Sligo would do rightly and would be 'fairer'. Shouldn't have to traipse up to Dublin for this.

Why would Sligo be fairer? Sligo's a fair trek for a lot of Galway folk. It's much closer to Donegal. Hope they bring it to Castlebar tbh, Markevic is a tight little ground, poor enough facilities. There should be a lot more from Galway travelling to this rather than the dozens that were there in 09. Ye obv travel well usually

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why would Sligo be fairer? Sligo's a fair trek for a lot of Galway folk. It's much closer to Donegal. Hope they bring it to Castlebar tbh, Markevic is a tight little ground, poor enough facilities. There should be a lot more from Galway travelling to this rather than the dozens that were there in 09. Ye obv travel well usually

Get up the road would ya!? Most of the football in Galway is played in north Galway - Tuam, Dumore, Corofin, Miltown and a quick "Google maps" tells me its 45 mins to C'bar from Tuam, whereas its 2hrs35 from Lkenny. Tuam Sligo is 1hr22, lkenny Sligo is 1hr35 so you can't get any more even than that. Travelled the auld N17 back in the auld UCG days...ahhh schtop would ya....some craic!

Most of the fanbase these days comes from West of the city, as do plenty of the players. It's a serious trek from them. You can make any argument cherrypicking places to name, Tuam is just a small town, Sligo's over 2hrs from Galway City and only 45 mins from Donegal town, 2 can play at this game!! In any case, either Castlebar or Sligo will be fair, doesnt mean Sligo is 'fairer' tho. Its a bit of a hole of a stadium tho, so hope its Castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Most of the fanbase these days comes from West of the city, as do plenty of the players. It's a serious trek from them. You can make any argument cherrypicking places to name, Tuam is just a small town, Sligo's over 2hrs from Galway City and only 45 mins from Donegal town, 2 can play at this game!! In any case, either Castlebar or Sligo will be fair, doesnt mean Sligo is 'fairer' tho. Its a bit of a hole of a stadium tho, so hope its Castlebar
    donegal town as a population of 2500 and your pitting it against a city. Your not playing the game very well. Galway city-castlebar 1hr 11, donegal town 1hr 55. You forget galway runs on a east west axis, donegal north south. Plus the ground is your side of sligo and hughes bridge, the main way accross is currently half closed (only one other bridge which is not exactly free flowing either).

anyway on the match today RSF had it fairly spot on, it was crying out for leo, mchughs did well, could keep going but for the basics thought overall monaghan were slightly better, and despite that we still had enough chances to win it and but for some poor shooting/decision making could have won it.
    we had a more patient attacking approach all year, i had hoped this was some long term ploy to take on the blanket defence but didnt seem like it today.

either way, it hasnt always been easy on the eye but the lads have given us 5/6 (u21) years of great memories. thought we would have lost a lot more to retirement last year so hopefully now regroup and leave nothing in the tank. they owe us nothing...

and on another note, iv seen a lot of talk today about mcfadden should have hung up his boots bla bla bla. But if he wants to keep going thats his decision and fair play for making the commitment. it is up to the manager/younger player to put his hands up and give a better option. he has faded from 2012 no doubt, but dont blame him for being available, its Rory who has to pick the best XV

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That was the lowest point for me. I was away on holidays in 2010 when Crossmaglen sealed the deal.

Yeah? Bad bateing right enough.

All our gang went to some concert in Marlay park. I was disgusted with them (all footballers) when it ended up being me and one other travelling to Croker in a berlingo. I was bored with one other for company and got rotten drunk. I think it was Tyrone were playing after, their supporters around us were begging us to stay for the 2nd game. We had a great laugh. When you're that ****e you can't help but laugh, we had a good ould day to be fair. Ignoring the whitewash.

I have always felt this panel of players were destined for something great but you couldn't help just be impressed by Corks physicality and power. I just chalked it down as coming up against far FAR better opposition. I put a sizeable bet on them (Cork) to win the all Ireland after that. Ball bags.

On a more somber note our lad stepped away from the panel after that so it was the last time we seen him involved with the county. Deserved better but sure it is what it is.

I seem to recall buying a pair of trainers on the way home in Cavan which didn't fit. Herself said I was an embarrassment. She wasn't far wrong.

Herself then insisted on accompanying me to ballybofey for the down game the following year to keep tabs. Hasn't been to a game since. Every cloud.

We'll always have cork.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If they are west of the city sure they are next door to Castlebar. All you have to do is look at a map.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm not seeing why some seem to think Galway would take us. It wasn't as if yesterday was a 2013 performance.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

jjdonegal wrote: »
    This might get ridiculed but my thoughts for Galway game are that risks need to be taken and a core cohort rested on the bench with the option to call on late in the game.
    Doherty for Eamon.
    Walsh for Lacey.
    McFadden for Big Neil.
    McLoone for Toye.
    Jigger for McBrearty (to get that bloody hamstring sorted)

I would like to think those players would have the hunger and pride to put in performances to see us over the line and hopefully put a strong claim in if we get through.
    We need the above as fresh as possible cos if we get through to Mayo my mind is on damage limitation.
    It could backfire and Galway beat us but my god we need to start looking long term too as I would be expecting a retirement or two this year.
    I'm absolutely dreading the battering Mayo are going to give us if we somehow get over Galway.
    So bloody sickened still as it's not like 2013 when we were absolutely dominated. I really thought we deserved a draw out of that today but too bloody wasteful.
    I actually thought Eamonn had his best game of the year yesterday. If Lacey is not 100% then Walsh should be in the next day alright. Big Neil was massive again in the second half yesterday so we can't afford to leave him out against what will probably be the strongest midfield pairing we've come across so far this year.
    McLoone absolutely should start.
    As for Paddy, he needs to be right for the rest of the season but I'm not sure resting him for 1 game does much for a tight hamstring - any physios on who can comment on that one? :)
    Unfortunately jj I don't think we have the panel to afford the luxury of dropping too many from yesterday. I don't think too many players were that bad yesterday - it was mainly tactics and poor shooting that cost us the game.
    On the performance yesterday the lads I would consider dropping would be McElhinney, Odhran and Colm. As I said, Leo should start the next day and Marty O'Reilly can come in along with possibly Jigger.
    We have Karl, Michael and Paddy all carrying injuries, a thin panel and some lads who deserve to be dropped ... as Nidge put it, our AI ambitions are over so without an Ulster would it be better wrapping up now than facing a possible beating in Croker? I'm half serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    as Nidge put it, our AI ambitions are over so without an Ulster would it be better wrapping up now than facing a possible beating in Croker? I'm half serious!

Jaysus lads! That's a very defeatist attitude to take. Think about it, if every county adopted that attitude, sure where would that leave the AI series as a whole? There's more to sport than just throwing in the towel because of what might lie ahead.All you have to do is take a look at the golf and see
    who's atop the leader board. Think of every underage semi-final/final played this summer where there's a mismatch between the two teams involved. What would be said if the coaches said to the young fellas - "ahh sure, we'll not bother fielding because we'll take a hammering".

That being said, I was very disappointed with the display yesterday. As a team they seem to be getting worse as the season progresses. The movement, the passing, the scoring, the desire, hunger, and attitude from the Tyrone game seem to be a distant memory at this stage. After that game I gave them a serious chance of making last four but on yesterday's evidence (and the Derry game) they need a big improvement. There's no zip in the team anymore. You'd think having beaten Tyrone/Armagh/Derry that their tails would be up but that's not the case. I wonder are they just battle weary?

I think the line got it badly wrong yesterday. I don't think jigger touched the ball once since he came on. Leo should have come on to run at the defence, and Thompson should have been on earlier. McFadden carried the ball into tackle too many times and his dispossession lead to two scores. The constant rotating of the full forward is fooling no one these days. When Murphy does go in FF, he constantly tries to catch the ball on his chest. More often than not the defender gets the fist in and the ball breaks away as evident from the two high balls launched in yesterday. Compare that to AO'Se's catch in the Mayo game. Floated ball in giving him a chance to run and high field the ball.

Monaghan had more heart and desire to win yesterday, but take away the four points from stupid Donegal play (2 from McFadden's dispossession, one from Christy Toye's dispossession, and one from Murphy's stupid pass right before half time), coupled with the decision to constantly retreat into defence rather than attack, and I think we threw that game away!

One more decent game from Frank McGlynn and he's an All-Star in the bag.

Jaysus lads! That's a very defeatist attitude to take. Think about it, if every county adopted that attitude, sure where would that leave the AI series as a whole? There's more to sport than just throwing in the towel because of what might lie ahead.All you have to do is take a look at the golf and see
    who's atop the leader board. Think of every underage semi-final/final played this summer where there's a mismatch between the two teams involved. What would be said if the coaches said to the young fellas - "ahh sure, we'll not bother fielding because we'll take a hammering".

No suggestion of throwing in the towel bob (I did say "half serious"! :D ) but I do think we're quite a bit off the level needed to win a quarter final in Croker. I don't think you can go into Croker with the injuries and lack of form of some players in our team and expect to compete against a team of the quality of Mayo. Our lack of depth in the panel counts against us now. But who knows, maybe Murphy's injury is one he can recover from in a couple of weeks, maybe Paddy will be fine, and maybe some players can recover form and hunger - I remain optimistic (that's the better half of me talking! :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Those last couple of points conceded in the first half were fata. Murphy's pass and Christy getting turned over. Also very telling in that period was the ball Paddy played back from the corner when he was bottled up and the Monaghan lad went for it like his life depended on it whilst the Donegal player (McFadden I think) stood waiting for it.

K-9 wrote: »
    If they are west of the city sure they are next door to Castlebar. All you have to do is look at a map.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that we're not all close to Sligo. Castlebar would be handier for us, Sligo handier for you. There's no 'fairer' venue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Can someone jog my memory, would Jimmy have subbed Christy with only 3 minutes before half time? I honestly think it'serious indicator to your counterparts that you've flinched.

At 70 minutes we needed one point and had significant momentum, and Rory decided to stop the game to bring on Leo.

People will put us as favorites for Galway but we need to seriously up our game, and I think Rory just needs to let the boys play.

What does that have to do with anything? The point is that we're not all close to Sligo. Castlebar would be handier for us, Sligo handier for you. There's no 'fairer' venue

Let's take 3 locations from each county (the main center of population and the two other furthest points away) to Sligo.
    Donegal.
    Letterkenny - Sligo - 111km
    Malin - Sligo - 165km
    Gweedore - Sligo - 138km

Galway
    Galway City - Sligo - 139km
    Portumna - Sligo - 170km
    Clifden - Sligo - 168km

Now let's take the same 3 locations to Castlebar.
    Donegal.
    Letterkenny - Castlebar - 195km
    Malin - Castlebar - 255km
    Gweedore - Castlebar - 222km

Galway
    Galway City - Castlebar - 75km
    Portumna - Castlebar - 134km
    Clifden - Castlebar - 69km

It's hard to argue that Sligo is not infinitely fairer as a venue than Castlebar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Given that Tyrone play Sligo next weekend, what's the chances of a double-header somewhere?

smashey wrote: »
    Given that Tyrone play Sligo next weekend, what's the chances of a double-header somewhere?

That was our first thoughts yesterday - somewhere like Breffni as a double header. Guess we'll find out this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Jim often brought on Christy in a first half so......

We retreated into our shell after going 3 points up and just didn't have the attacking threat, Paddy was too isolated when we did get ball to him, plus how many long range shots did Colm miss? He takes far too much out of the ball when he plays deep, suicide against a team like Monaghan who thrive on that.

Couple that with sitting far too deep and getting no or very few turnovers for 25 minutes in the first half, as well as losing midfield and breaking ball.......the perfect storm really.

Second half was much better but a lot of our wides were low percentage shots, a crazy amount of them. Considering we were getting frees from running at them somebody needs to take responsibility for that.

Advertisement