Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I think I see what/who you are getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Whether 100% true, 100% false or somewhere in between, there's a fairly simple and obvious explanation why stories of any kind only generally come out after a defeat.

As is likely the same for everyone with even a passing interest in GAA, I've heard numerous different tales over the years that were obviously false to start with even without being added to by every person who subsequently told it. Those stories aren't worth repeating.

I felt the above one was. If folks are happy to have a kumbya & see no evil/hear no evil approach to it all, that's grand but the issue will still remain. (To clarify, the issue as I see it isn't necessarily with the player(s).)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think I see what/who you are getting at.
    Not really too difficult really to figure it out! I'd suck at writing cryptic crossword clues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It was Charlie Mulgrew, in the kitchen, with the candle stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Lacey little chance for Galway game I see on social media tonight

• Advertisement

jjdonegal wrote:

I'd say no chance. Surely we should take the risk that we will need him the week after and go with Thompson/Walsh etc instead.

jjdonegal wrote: »

'Touch and go' according to Rory.

Leave him out altogether, wonder if Frank would be suited to playing in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Leave him out altogether, wonder if Frank would be suited to playing in the middle.

He has played there before, and done it quite well (not surprisingly). I'm coming around to what jj suggested in that anyone not 100% (including Murphy if the rest would help) should be left out for this game.

We have enough good/middling options to fill in for Lacey for a game.

But, my bet would be that he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

The door is open for leo mcloone to start if this is the case. Match fit or not, all in at this stage. He was our best player in the final last year, and if we are to have any hope at all, we need a strong ball carrier to give another option to the mchughs, who try their best, but are limited with their strength.

• Advertisement

McLoone, Dec Walsh, Thompson, Doherty. All can come in for Lacey, but Frank is the man to wear 6 with someone else shifting to 7. McLoone looked terrible at chb during 2014 League, different player at hf in Championship.

If Eoin McHugh had been fit last weekend he might have been a good option to come on. Pity he hasn't seen more game time this year. I know he's too similar to the other two but that's the game we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

He's a huge loss alright. He was exactly the man you needed to sneak up and pick off a winner/equalizer in the UF.

On another note Nidgeweasel my eight week old son has four sets of Dublin gear.

His grandfather has purchased him a Donegal strip. He's determined to get him into it. I told him I'm giving it away here but I think he has the camera warmed up and he has it hidden somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭rrs

Regarding Donegal training too hard. Ryan McHugh seemed overused earlier in the year between U21s and Senior. He played the full game against Mayo in the final rouund of the League , a game where Donegal were safe anyway, played the Ulster Final on Wedneday against Tyrone and the League Semi that Sunday against Cork

What was the logic in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Stoner wrote: »
    He's a huge loss alright. He was exactly the man you needed to sneak up and pick off a winner/equalizer in the UF.

His grandfather has purchased him a Donegal strip. He's determined to get him into it. I told him I'm giving it away here but I think he has the camera warmed up and he has it hidden somewhere!

Good for him!:p:D:D

Stoner wrote: »

Congratulations on the new arrival. We can be fairly resourceful, you can be sure the camera is on constant stand by!

U-21 hurlers won the All Ireland (C) and the ladies won Ulster beating Monaghan today. Great achievement by all.

Any chance of having Geraldine McLaughlin for the men next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Im sure its all nonsense like the "such and such was on the lash the night before the game rubbish" but Im hearin a rumour that Neil Gallagher has walked.

I didnt hear this rumor, if it is the case, we might as well kiss the baby against galway. Lets assume it is a rumor and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

harpsman wrote: »
    Im sure its all nonsense like the "such and such was on the lash the night before the game rubbish" but Im hearin a rumour that Neil Gallagher has walked.

Heard it a few days ago but didn't think anything of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Heard the rumour too and that he had an altercation with another player and walked. Sure hope its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

henke wrote: »
    Heard the rumour too and that he had an altercation with another player and walked. Sure hope its not true.

There was a rumour doing the rounds that he was unhappy with Leo Mc Loone rejoining the panel. Hopefully it`s all unfounded.

Didnt hear the one about Leo Mc, but that vindicates the notion that these stories are more numerous than the truth might suggest

That would surprise me.

Especially given his relationship with Michael. Very close friends, in business together etc.

It'd be a complete disaster too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hopefully that's all bullsh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

charlie14 wrote: »
    There was a rumour doing the rounds that he was unhappy with Leo Mc Loone rejoining the panel. Hopefully it`s all unfounded.

Yep, these rumours always grow legs.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Lacey 100% out it's reported. No big shock I'd suppose. Although I'd like to think the 13 day break would give us plenty or time to regroup I cannot help think that Galway will bloody beat us. Either way I'm not looking forward to the end of our season as I'm 100% sure it'll be coming within the next 2 weeks. Disaster.

I hope Lacey isn't involved. He's done too much for the cause for us to start pissing around with his long term fitness. Let him sit it out, if that's him for the year so be it.

I've hoped for the past 2 years he'd have been given the majority of the league off. He had big moments and performances for us last year but you could see he was noticeably tiring during games. This year that burst he has seems to be gone completely. I'm doubtful as to whether that can be regained but a good rest and using him sparingly and cleverly would do him the power of good.

I hope we can get another year or two out of him.

On Galway, actually, meh. Can wait till later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

In my 30 years as a GAA fan and Donegal supporter, one thing has never changed. Whenever there is a loss, no matter what the circumstances, its not because of fatigue, luck, refereeing decisions, injuries to key players, bad substitutions, the wrong tactics, or simply being beaten by the better team. Its because there has been a row in the camp.

Basically, I hope the rumour about Neil and other rumours I've heard since the Ulster Final are untrue, but for the moment, I've take them with a huge grain of salt.

• Advertisement

Indeed. I think that there is a lot of truth in this comment. I dont think that the story about a row in the camp or too much celebrating washes any more with people not just within the county but all over the country. There is nothing wrong with losing on a given day without throwing that into the mix as an excuse.

Advertisement