Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:
    The second time they all booed I counted and every single Galway player was in their own half. Very little understanding among them of what actually caused Donegal to retain the possession on those two instances.

I was there with a few Donegal men, the frustrating thing was that during that period, as discussed when it was about seven points each, Murphy was one on one inside and it was crying out for the ball to go into him but Donegal just seemed to play it around. They only played it into him in the second half when he was moved in there . They seemed to struggle with him only "drifting" in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It was kind of a strange game on Saturday. We started so well, and then came the almost inevitable decline.

To then finish up winning by 10 points is kind of misleading, because between the 15th and 50th minute, we didn’t play that well at all. We got the breaks in the 2nd half – with Conroy missing a fairly kickable free and then being denied one when he seemed to be fairly clearly fouled by Neil McGee. But no harm to finish with a flourish for a change.

Still, there were some positive signs. Odhran MacNiallais for one. The points, the passing, the work rate. Very good. Martin McElhinney was too reckless with his shooting but he did make an impact which as good to see after the Ulster Final. Ryan McHugh was everywhere – great to see him back to his best.

Finally, we get to see Michael Murphy where he is most effective. Fair enough, it might not always work, especially in Ulster, but we have to try and persist with it more often – the results speak for themselves. His play further out the field isn’t that effective – surely we have someone else who can perform more or less the same role?
    Again, Paddy is confusing/frustrating – is he injured or not and how bad is it? Those were two very bad wides in the 2nd half. To be fair, he still showed well a lot of the time without getting any good ball.
    Colm wasn’t perfect by any stretch, but f**k it, I am going to focus on the positives, he still contributed a lot. It’s great to see, as was another Christy Toye goal in Croke Park.

Hugh McFadden wasn’t great, but he put himself about. Dreadful kick pass in 1st half. Didn’t kick the ball other than that. Thought that E Doherty really struggled – continually beaten by his man and Paddy McGrath’s black card was down to him.

Thompson, Leo and Walsh all looked pretty good coming on. The first two could have a big part to play on Saturday. If Paddy doesn’t start, could Leo be a good partner for Michael up top? Unlikely, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

We still kicked too many wides and our defence still looks suspect when run at – and we will see plenty of that on Saturday.

My biggest concern is that E McGee, Lacey, Murphy (despite what Rory says), Paddy and maybe even Frank are not 100%. Mayo will be well rested and aren't really carrying any injuries we know of. It could well end up like 2013.

I hope we can keep it interesting. But I just can’t see us winning at this stage. It’s a big step up from Galway and a very different kind of challenge from Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It was kind of a strange game on Saturday. We started so well, and then came the almost inevitable decline.

To then finish up winning by 10 points is kind of misleading, because between the 15th and 50th minute, we didn’t play that well at all. We got the breaks in the 2nd half – with Conroy missing a fairly kickable free and then being denied one when he seemed to be fairly clearly fouled by Neil McGee. But no harm to finish with a flourish for a change.

Still, there were some positive signs. Odhran MacNiallais for one. The points, the passing, the work rate. Very good. Martin McElhinney was too reckless with his shooting but he did make an impact which as good to see after the Ulster Final. Ryan McHugh was everywhere – great to see him back to his best.

Finally, we get to see Michael Murphy where he is most effective. Fair enough, it might not always work, especially in Ulster, but we have to try and persist with it more often – the results speak for themselves. His play further out the field isn’t that effective – surely we have someone else who can perform more or less the same role?
    Again, Paddy is confusing/frustrating – is he injured or not and how bad is it? Those were two very bad wides in the 2nd half. To be fair, he still showed well a lot of the time without getting any good ball.
    Colm wasn’t perfect by any stretch, but f**k it, I am going to focus on the positives, he still contributed a lot. It’s great to see, as was another Christy Toye goal in Croke Park.

Hugh McFadden wasn’t great, but he put himself about. Dreadful kick pass in 1st half. Didn’t kick the ball other than that. Thought that E Doherty really struggled – continually beaten by his man and Paddy McGrath’s black card was down to him.

Thompson, Leo and Walsh all looked pretty good coming on. The first two could have a big part to play on Saturday. If Paddy doesn’t start, could Leo be a good partner for Michael up top? Unlikely, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

We still kicked too many wides and our defence still looks suspect when run at – and we will see plenty of that on Saturday.

My biggest concern is that E McGee, Lacey, Murphy (despite what Rory says), Paddy and maybe even Frank are not 100%. Mayo will be well rested and aren't really carrying any injuries we know of. It could well end up like 2013.

I hope we can keep it interesting. But I just can’t see us winning at this stage. It’s a big step up from Galway and a very different kind of challenge from Monaghan.

I have to agree with everything you said.

On Saturday it could be the last game for some of these lads, but my God they have given us some enjoyment over the last 4 to 5 years and even longer.

If we play the same way we did against Dublin last year, we'll beat Mayo easily. Like Dublin, Mayo have had a easy run this year but they will be 110% up for it on Saturday. If we get them on the break we'll score goals to win as their defense as holes everywhere (we'll need 3 goals), if we don't get the goals, then it could be a really bad day for us and a very long day. We also need to defend better, maybe even deeper then we have in the last few games. But we will have to dig very deep on Saturday, as this will be a tough game with 3 games in 4 weeks. If we were fresh, I wouldn't be so worried, but I feel these lads have given a lot this year already.

Personally I don't think this Mayo team is as strong as last years team. And Horan was a better manager then the current management team. If Horan was still about I would give Mayo a bigger edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

All true RSF and I would be in agreement but there's just something in the way the boys are pushing themselves that gives me hope that they can really give Mayo a good rattle on Saturday. If we can keep out the goal chances I think we have enough threat up front so I just hope we can go in at half time still in with a shout. One thing we need to improve on to have a chance though is our conversion rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

On a point of trivia Christy has championship goals in Croke Park 13 years apart going back to Meath 02. Has anyone else done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe one of the Down or Galway lads from the 60's. Can't think of anybody more recent. JackO but he was a midfielder.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The funny thing I noticed about Paddy on Saturday was that he went into tried & tested Junior B mode by wincing and rubbing his knee/hamstring/ankle after he kicked a wide but no obvious sign of any bother at any other stage. Fair enough, I only seen what the TV camera showed but it amused me anyway.

K-9 wrote: »
    Maybe one of the Down or Galway lads from the 60's. Can't think of anybody more recent. JackO but he was a midfielder.

Jackp unlikely given that kerry didn't play a champ game in Croker from 86 to 91 and I don't think they got a goal in 91. By 93 he was managing Mayo tons 20 point defeat against Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

harpsman wrote: »
    On a point of trivia Christy has championship goals in Croke Park 13 years apart going back to Meath 02. Has anyone else done this?

Colm Cooper 2002 vs Cork all ireland semi and last Sunday. Terrace Talk website is great for googling:P

I'd imagine more Dublin and Kerry footballers would have as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Can anyone log into their season ticket account? Won't let me in and I'm trying to opt out of our 2 season tickets as have got tickets elsewhere. Nuisance as deadline is tomo morning.

• Advertisement

jjdonegal wrote:
    Can anyone log into their season ticket account? Won't let me in and I'm trying to opt out of our 2 season tickets as have got tickets elsewhere. Nuisance as deadline is tomo morning.

I could earlier but can't right now.

Was down last Friday afternoon too. Came back in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

jjdonegal wrote: »

Email them as I've found them relatively quick to reply. Although the reply is usually bu******.

So what about the team for Sunday? I'll assume Lacey is still out or won't be able to start and all the rest are ok as word is McGee will be ready.

1 Durcan
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 E McGee
    5 Thompson
    6 McGlynn
    7 R McHugh
    8 Gallagher
    9 McElhinney
    10 M McHugh
    11 MacNiallais
    12 McLoone/H McFadden/O'Reilly/Toye
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 C McFadden

I'd be fairly certain about 14 of those starting but each of those has at 12 could start but I haven't a clue who. Hugh did well the last day so maybe he deserves it. Think it's better to start McElhinney as we need to be as competitive as possible from the start.

Let's discuss.

When Michael plays deep, what does he offer? He's big and physical, so his presence alone is an asset around midfield and even under our own crossbar. He's can also be a good kick passer, but who does he end up passing to if he's not inside? He can't tackle and it could be said that his tackling is a liability.

So, can we afford to leave Michael at full forward if we play Hugh McFadden as a third midfielder. I'd say, yes, we can. If you think back to 2012, Jim used to like picking Ryan Bradley. No harm to him, but he wasn't the finest footballer. But he worked hard and was a big strong lad who could get stuck in around midfield. Michael played wholly at FF in 2012 as far as I recall and it worked pretty well.

Can Hugh McFadden be Ryan Bradley? Yes, I believe that he can. He works hard enough. His tackling is poor. He doesn't try anything too adventurous. Pick him and we might be able to leave Michael at FF, where he is at his most effective. With reasonable ball, there is no one better in that position.

I'd be leaning towards the following:

Durcan
    McGrath
    N McGee
    E McGee (but I don't believe that he's fit and I worry that he will be pushed around by Aidan O'Se if he ends up marking him)
    Thompson
    McGlynn
    M McHugh
    Gallagher
    H McFadden
    R McHugh
    MacNiallais
    Toye
    O'Reilly
    Murphy
    C McFadden

Subs all to come on at some stage - McBrearty, McElhinney, Lacey, Dec Walsh, McLoone

Finish with your strongest team. Hopefully the team that starts will be able to keep us in the game long enough for the likes of Paddy, McElhinney (both seem to play better as subs) and McLoone can have a real impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Let's discuss.

When Michael plays deep, what does he offer? He's big and physical, so his presence alone is an asset around midfield and even under our own crossbar. He's can also be a good kick passer, but who does he end up passing to if he's not inside? He can't tackle and it could be said that his tackling is a liability.

So, can we afford to leave Michael at full forward if we play Hugh McFadden as a third midfielder. I'd say, yes, we can. If you think back to 2012, Jim used to like picking Ryan Bradley. No harm to him, but he wasn't the finest footballer. But he worked hard and was a big strong lad who could get stuck in around midfield. Michael played wholly at FF in 2012 as far as I recall and it worked pretty well.

Can Hugh McFadden be Ryan Bradley? Yes, I believe that he can. He works hard enough. His tackling is poor. He doesn't try anything too adventurous. Pick him and we might be able to leave Michael at FF, where he is at his most effective. With reasonable ball, there is no one better in that position.

I'd be leaning towards the following:

Durcan
    McGrath
    N McGee
    E McGee (but I don't believe that he's fit and I worry that he will be pushed around by Aidan O'Se if he ends up marking him)
    Thompson
    McGlynn
    M McHugh
    Gallagher
    H McFadden
    R McHugh
    MacNiallais
    Toye
    O'Reilly
    Murphy
    C McFadden

Subs all to come on at some stage - McBrearty, McElhinney, Lacey, Dec Walsh, McLoone

Finish with your strongest team. Hopefully the team that starts will be able to keep us in the game long enough for the likes of Paddy, McElhinney (both seem to play better as subs) and McLoone can have a real impact.

Broadly agree. I think we will see Murphy play a lot more at 14 on Saturday as; even though I call it naive; Mayo do line out pretty conventionally so he will have the room that makes that move worthwhile. No use playing him at 14 in Ulster alert from short bursts as he is double and triple marked. I thought Reilly done well last Saturday so id have no qualms about him starting but to be a little different I feel we need to start our best team or as close as possible to ensure we get a foothold early. No use bringing on Paddy; Leo; etc if we losing by 5/6 points.

From reading reports it seems Lacey and Eamon are making it so id go:
    1. Durcan
    2. McGrath
    3. McGee
    4. McGee**
    5. M. McHugh
    6. Lacey**
    7. McGlynn
    8. Gallagher
    9. McElhinney / Toye - not quite sure. A big opening 30 from Toye or come on and put in a big effort like he has done before.
    10. McHugh
    11. McLoone
    12. MacNiallas
    13. McFadden
    14. Murphy
    15. McBrearty

Obviously big question marks about two of them. I think Toye has an integral part to play but not for 70mins and torn between his role.
    Not quite sure on Tonys match sharpness but he was good when he came on Saurday.Could easily start with Mark moving forward, etc so there is 3/4 different lineouts going around in my head.
    It's a hard one to call to be honest and my brain is working in overdrive just waiting for frigging Sat to come.
    Only copped on Junior final at 2 so there games for 25e is good.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    y the boys are pushing themselves that gives me hope that they can really give Mayo a good rattle on Saturday. If we can keep out the goal chances

I agree, you've in a great position to reduce Mayo's scoring opportunities, better than anyone left I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Our midfield has to gamble without Murphys help. The long ball into him has to be good, not just an aimless hoof. I think that we saw some of that in the ulster final, when the ball was just lumped in, as opposed to the galway game, were there was a lot more shape and accuracy to the ball in. The running off the ball was excellent in the last 20 also.

A lot of people talk about putting in a 70 minute performance, but I would say that we have to put in the performance at the right times of the game, knowing when to pull back and then when to take the offensive. Too much of either would spell disaster imo. I think that if we start well, and frustrate mayo, it would be better than getting a 3 point lead as we often do, and then run out of breath for 20 minutes, or get pinned back. Nice and tight for the first 20, and get the mayo lads shouting at each other their heads down going in at half time.

We have a major chance then. No goals conceded either would be a huge thing. We also need to bag one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Rory's biggest concern going into Saturday is trying to figure out why the team drops off so much after about 10 minutes and doesn't really perform the rest of the first half. If he can address that we have a real chance against Mayo.
    So the questions then are, would putting Murphy in at full help out here, and would we be best to start with our strongest 15 even if some might not be 100% (either in terms of fitness or form) or should we hold some back for an impact later.
    In terms of the first question you would have to think that Mayo will keep to their usual style and won't surround the D with defenders so it surely looks like the best option from our pov would be to put Murphy at the edge of the square and have the option of hitting him long if we can't penetrate from deep.
    In terms of the second question, it's not quite so easy to answer. Personally I would like to see Leo start. I think he gives us a physicality up front that we really need. I would keep Christy back for half time and introduce him then if needed or with about 20 to go if we're going well. Paddy is the hardest call for me. Previously he has done better off the bench but to be fair to him, all year he has shown well for us and it's only the second half last weekend that has really counted against him. I would start him.
    My 15 would be

Durcan
    McGrath
    N McGee
    E McGee
    McGlynn
    Lacey (or Thompson if he's not fit - however if fit Lacey should start)
    M McHugh
    Gallagher
    MacNiallais
    R McHugh
    McLoone
    O'Reilly
    McBrearty
    Murphy
    C McFadden

Options from the bench for me would be McElhinney, Thompson, Toye.

All that said, I can see exactly where you're coming from RSF. If the game goes along the same pattern as recent games, we would be much better placed having a hungry McBrearty and McLoone to spring from the bench at half time so it's not an easy call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bring Christy in after 15 / 20 minutes. Worked well last year.

Id go with

Durcan
    McGee
    McGee
    McGrath
    McGlynn
    Lacey
    Thompson
    Gallagher
    McElhinney
    McHugh
    McNiallis
    McHugh
    McB
    Murphy
    McF

Subs- Toye,McLoone,OReilly and McFadden; and Walsh as defensive cover. (Assumimg all fit!)

I know that 12 of the starters from '12 but I think theyre still the best we got.

Havent seen enough from OReilly and H McF to convince me theyre good enough (yet) at this level.

I'd bar any of our top 3 from entering their own half and let the other 12 players do the defending-apart from the odd occasion maybe when their marker makes a run. But Id like to see Murphy moving around looking for passes rather than either standing on the square waiting hit and hopes or playing at half back!! Not that its going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

This Mayo team are a bit of an unknown quantity so far. We know they can get the scores when let at it. I think if we can hang on to their coat tails and then introduce Toye, mcLoone & mcBrearty around half time we can put their backs to the wall, get our heads up & clinch the win.

A few things need to click for us on the day.
    1. McGee needs to roast O'Shea
    2. Our lads need to pick up the breaks from Gallagher v Parsons / O'Shea
    3. Reduce our wide count
    4. Avoid soft frees or o'Connor will punish.

I don't know much about this referee either, he is relatively new at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

The ref, Gough, is a good one. He is not whistle happy, nor is he easily swayed by team members protesting at him. I would be happy with most refs 2bh, there is only one ref that seems to steal the show, and he is in charge of a game on the same day....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    Ive alot of time for Mayo fans but a larger proportion than normal were very ungracious that day. My personal theory is that their noses were very out of joint after losing a final to little old Donegal the previous year. Could be wrong.

They were shocking in 2012 after the game. I've never seen the like of it. I think I was so shocked because it was wholly unexpected. Always found them to be a very good natured bunch.

As has been said there are dick heads in every county probably just happened to be around the worst of theirs at that time, and 2013. Wouldn't tar them all with the same brush (not that you were). Kerry folk have said we were excellent after the game last year, not sure how sporting we'd be having lost 7 finals in a row mind you.

On Saturday, my initial thoughts are that our run this year will have left us very battle hardened and we will be a tough test for Mayo, however we're also pretty much running on fumes and I expect Mayo to win comfortably in the end up albeit not anywhere as bad as 2013. I'd expect them to run out handy winners with 4/5 points to spare or thereabouts.

I'll post more about the team later once I've had another think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Let's discuss.

He was sent off 3 times in the league with 2 blacks and a red from 2 yellows.

He also has had a couple of close shaves with some of his tackles in the championship - he picked one yellow which was the correct decision but wasn't a million miles from the black (and a huge factor in these ones can be how the player fouled ends up going to ground) and there was another tackle where I'm not sure if he picked up a card but also wasn't a million miles from a black.

Having him out the field constantly tackling is definitely taking a risk - I'd imagine he would be far safer in terms of lasting the full 70 in by goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    He was sent off 3 times in the league with 2 blacks and a red from 2 yellows.

He also has had a couple of close shaves with some of his tackles in the championship - he picked one yellow which was the correct decision but wasn't a million miles from the black (and a huge factor in these ones can be how the player fouled ends up going to ground) and there was another tackle where I'm not sure if he picked up a card but also wasn't a million miles from a black.

Having him out the field constantly tackling is definitely taking a risk - I'd imagine he would be far safer in terms of lasting the full 70 in by goal.

He's been a very lucky boy in the past two games imo. He should have gone in the Ulster final and again on Saturday.

I actually think he was persecuted somewhat during the league because of his physicality, some of the calls were very debatable but those examples I've just given he was blessed not to go.

On Michael, one of the blacks in the League was very much deliberate (v Tyrone). Donegal were winning easily and were pretty much assured of their Division One status, so he was 'advised' to take one and missed the Mayo game. Clean slate for the Championship.

I recall the red against Cork. The 2nd yellow was quite harsh, but he needed to watch himself given he was already on a yellow.

I felt the Sunday Game focusing on that aspect of his game last week was a little odd.

But, I agree that in general, he needs to be more careful.

Redsoxfan wrote:

He's just a horse, big like O'Gara if either of them leave the arm out they lamp lads . They get a bad rep as they are strong, borderline clashes look worse when they do it, when they run into lads the other lad is flattened.

But neither is dirty player. Murphy is on a team that gives 100% but he has to hold back where others can give their all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

He's been a very lucky boy in the past two games imo. He should have gone in the Ulster final and again on Saturday.

I actually think he was persecuted somewhat during the league because of his physicality, some of the calls were very debatable but those examples I've just given he was blessed not to go.
    On Michael, one of the blacks in the League was very much deliberate (v Tyrone). Donegal were winning easily and were pretty much assured of their Division One status, so he was 'advised' to take one and missed the Mayo game. Clean slate for the Championship.

I recall the red against Cork. The 2nd yellow was quite harsh, but he needed to watch himself given he was already on a yellow.

I felt the Sunday Game focusing on that aspect of his game last week was a little odd.

Also I think this year Donegal will be able to get away with having him in full-forward far more than they are likely to be able to when Gallagher (and Toye to a lesser extent) move on. I could definitely see the argument for him playing out the field being strengthened when Gallagher goes, as he is likely to be a massive loss. I wouild nearly have Gallagher ahead of Murphy in the POTY stakes given how well he has done this year, especially if the league was taken into account (which it never is for POTY)

I'm afraid Michael Murphy will not be any kind of replacement for Neil Gallagher. While he is a fine fielder of the ball, his defensive work is way below what Big Neil offers. When Big Neil finally calls it a day, there's no one I can think of that is fit to take his place at the moment. Hopefully someone from last year's Minors (there were one or two candidates) can develop in time, but that too is a long shot.

Anyway, I hope that we get the best from both of them on Saturday. We'll need it.

• Advertisement

Not a chance that tackle from Murphy in Saturday was a black card. Yellow of course. But not black.

Advertisement