Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm afraid Michael Murphy will not be any kind of replacement for Neil Gallagher. While he is a fine fielder of the ball, his defensive work is way below what Big Neil offers. When Big Neil finally calls it a day, there's no one I can think of that is fit to take his place at the moment. Hopefully someone from last year's Minors (there were one or two candidates) can develop in time, but that too is a long shot.

Anyway, I hope that we get the best from both of them on Saturday. We'll need it.

You're correct in that he isn't a like-for-like replacement but in terms of fixing the hole that will be there when Gallagher goes and providing experience and leadership I think Murphy will be the best option for the forseeable future.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Not a chance that tackle from Murphy in Saturday was a black card. Yellow of course. But not black.

Yeah I would have said the one at the weekend was a yellow in my opinion but the thing is a lot of the tackles he makes are very close to being in black card territory. If you're constantly making similar tackles like this, it's inevitable that a ref is going to make the wrong call some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Met a mate there for a few hours and had good discussion about game. I might look like a fool come 8pm Saturday for saying this but I am convinced we will see AoS nowhere near 14 come match day.
    I think his influence is too important not to have him around 8/11. At 8/11 he will go a long way toward helping Mayo establish a foothold in the centre.
    This begs the question: Where do we want him to play?
    Personally I think I'd prefer him at 14 in the hope we can bottle him up. He is an absolutely phenomenal player so id prefer him as far away from the most important part of the pitch which for me is the 8/11 zone.
    What do people think / want? Id be interested to see where Mayo people want him to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Also I think this year Donegal will be able to get away with having him in full-forward far more than they are likely to be able to when Gallagher (and Toye to a lesser extent) move on. I could definitely see the argument for him playing out the field being strengthened when Gallagher goes, as he is likely to be a massive loss. I wouild nearly have Gallagher ahead of Murphy in the POTY stakes given how well he has done this year, especially if the league was taken into account (which it never is for POTY)

We're on the brink of a number of big players leaving. Out of all of them Gallagher will be he one that is hardest to replace. It's a position we struggle with to be honest. Usually end up with makeshift midfielders.

Murphy, while an exceptional footballer, our best footballer and our talisman doesn't have what it takes to replace Gallagher for the longhaul. As RSF has said his defensive duties wouldn't be up to scratch. He'd be a stop gap at best and that's far from ideal.

I really like McElhinney but he needs a proper partner with him.

Quickly thinking round the club scene and can't think of anything/anyone either.

We're on the brink of a number of big players leaving. Out of all of them Gallagher will be he one that is hardest to replace. It's a position we struggle with to be honest. Usually end up with makeshift midfielders.

Murphy, while an exceptional footballer, our best footballer and our talisman doesn't have what it takes to replace Gallagher for the longhaul. As RSF has said his defensive duties wouldn't be up to scratch. He'd be a stop gap at best and that's far from ideal.

I really like McElhinney but he needs a proper partner with him.

Quickly thinking round the club scene and can't think of anything/anyone either.

I would have said McElhinney and Murphy as a partnership although it might be a bit attacking. I thought McElhinney had a serious impact around the middle of the field in the Galway game when he came on - I thought he had a significant input into Donegal getting on top there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

McElhinney plus Murphy is far too attacking. As is Murphy plus MacNiallais or MacNiallais plus McElhinney.

It's really hard to describe to someone what Big Neil brings to the role. His reading of the game is outstanding and he never shies away from getting stuck in. Works hard for 70 minutes in every game. If only he could shoot. I'll always be amazed he managed to score a point in the All Ireland Final of all games. He pretty much gives a lift to the crowd anytime he does anything.

Anyway, he's not retired yet. Good for another test.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Can't see it Saturday Chaps.
    I think it's one of those "If your not in you can't win" games. Alot of luck would need to go Donegal's way in 70 mins. Not impossible just improbable.

The disappointment was the Monaghan game & those horrible wides if just one of those wides hada crept in then could have been an easier route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Met a mate there for a few hours and had good discussion about game. I might look like a fool come 8pm Saturday for saying this but I am convinced we will see AoS nowhere near 14 come match day.
    I think his influence is too important not to have him around 8/11. At 8/11 he will go a long way toward helping Mayo establish a foothold in the centre.
    This begs the question: Where do we want him to play?
    Personally I think I'd prefer him at 14 in the hope we can bottle him up. He is an absolutely phenomenal player so id prefer him as far away from the most important part of the pitch which for me is the 8/11 zone.
    What do people think / want? Id be interested to see where Mayo people want him to play.
    He'll be at 14 no questions asked ye will put 2 on him which frees up one of ours in defence which men's there will be two on Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jjdonegal wrote:
    I said something similar on the Dublin thread, I think he'll start out the field and only move in if Mayo have a good gap. Donegal could handle him if its a close game, but I'd say Mayo will look to set up similar to 2013 he'll only be used at 14 in a counter attacking set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Stoner wrote: »
    I said something similar on the Dublin thread, I think he'll start out the field and only move in if Mayo have a good gap. Donegal could handle him if its a close game, but I'd say Mayo will look to set up similar to 2013 he'll only be used at 14 in a counter attacking set up.

He will burn him self out to quick if he is out the field he needs to be closer to goal when he gets the power down so he doesn't have as much running to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fair point. Also he's very much a confidence player, if he loses the first few exchanges he can drift out of the game, happened to him a number of times, when his head goes down I've never seen him get back into a game. It would be too risky for Mayo to start him at 14 only to have him marked out of it. The physiological damage would be significant.

Much better to use him out the field for the first half only, he does tire alright, if he tries countless runs breaking tackles it might play into Donegals hands. Good luck at the weekend lads, I'm looking forward to a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Can Hugh McFadden be Ryan Bradley? Yes, I believe that he can. He works hard enough. His tackling is poor. He doesn't try anything too adventurous. Pick him and we might be able to leave Michael at FF, where he is at his most effective. With reasonable ball, there is no one better in that position.

Bradley was a powerful athlete who could run and put in hard tackles as well as kick a score. McFadden is nowhere near that yet but if he's going to play we might as well start him. I wouldn't and I'd go with.

Durcan
    McGee
    McGee
    McGrath
    McHugh
    Lacey/D Walsh
    McGlynn
    Neil
    McNiallais
    O'Reilly
    McElhinney
    Mark McHugh
    McBrearty
    Murphy
    Colm

McLoone, Toye, Thompson and Lacey hopefully to come on.

Bradley was a powerful athlete who could run and put in hard tackles as well as kick a score. McFadden is nowhere near that yet but if he's going to play we might as well start him.

He's not Bradley, and I probably understated Bradley's role, but he offers some of the bulk around the middle that Michael seems to have been asked to provide since Bradley left.

I'm not here to talk up Hugh McFadden. But I wonder is there a reason he has seen so much game time when so many of us wonder about what his role is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Anyone know why there is an extra half hour between throw in times? I don't think there's extra time so it must be to keep the tills ringing over with €5 pints in plastic glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

There isn't doc? Monaghan/Tyrone is throw in at 4pm. We're throw in at 6pm. That's the normal 2 hour window. Monaghan/Tyrone won't finish until around 5:30 which is about as late as you could leave it as our lads are usually out on the field about 15 mins before throw in.
    Did you hear of different throw in times?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Anyone know why there is an extra half hour between throw in times? I don't think there's extra time so it must be to keep the tills ringing over with €5 pints in plastic glasses!
    Ceist_Beag wrote:
    There isn't doc? Monaghan/Tyrone is throw in at 4pm. We're throw in at 6pm. That's the normal 2 hour window. Monaghan/Tyrone won't finish until around 5:30 which is about as late as you could leave it as our lads are usually out on the field about 15 mins before throw in.
    Did you hear of different throw in times?

I did hear that Tyrone v Monghan was throwing in at 3.30pm, but I can't find that confirmed anywhere. ST and GAA website says 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thanks for that. It was announced after the game last week that it was 3.30 and 6 but it's obviously changed. I remember we were all talking about it on the way down from Dublin last week and thinking it might have had something to with sky! But clearly a misunderstanding somewhere along the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You're correct in that he isn't a like-for-like replacement but in terms of fixing the hole that will be there when Gallagher goes and providing experience and leadership I think Murphy will be the best option for the forseeable future.
    I guess Hugh McFadden is being groomed for the role-whats his fielding like?
    He looks a bit of a mullocker at the moment but I guess he has potential.

Definitely wouldnt replace him with Murphy-as he gets into his late 20s we're going to have to look after him a bit more-imo that would mean playing him as a forward and allow for the fact that he will be out of the game for periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a Donegal win.

I didn't see all of the Mayo v Galway game, but watching the highlights, Galway seemed to control the ball (and scoreline!) for long periods.

Mayo are an excellent team, but, if we play to our ability, I think our boys have it in them to win this match.

opiniated wrote: »

I didn't see all of the Mayo v Galway game, but watching the highlights, Galway seemed to control the ball (and scoreline!) for long periods.

Mayo are an excellent team, but, if we play to our ability, I think our boys have it in them to win this match.

I really, really hope so but I can see absolutely no way we will be winning this game unfortunately, however stranger things have happened!
    I just think the embodiment of our game is high intensity; short hand passing; numerous runners of the shoulder, etc etc and I just feel anything less than 3 weeks to recover + prepare is insufficient for this type of game.
    Can see Mayo leading comfortably at HT and maintaining that in the 2nd half without exerting too much of what they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

opiniated wrote: »

We took an overly-physical approach to the Mayo game with the intention of rattling them and it worked for the most part. Apart from the ridiculous goal we were right in the game but AOS destroyed Hanley throughout, much like MM would have had he gotten more ball last Saturday. Much like our game with Mayo, the game was there for the winning and we couldn't finish the job (felt Conroy's missed free was a pivotal moment). But once ye got a run on us it was fairly impressive to watch, especially the midfield dominance in the 2nd half.

Having been at both games, I'd have Mayo as favourites but it will be close I'd say. A lot depends on what Mayo do with AOS, he'll have a hard time of it in at full forward if he starts there. But if Donegal isolate MM at full forward and send proper ball into him it could rain goals at the other end. It will be fascinating.

The biggest thing I've taken from this year is just how far Galway are behind the big hitters. Depressing times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Interestingly tho jj, I saw a stat on the Galway game which showed that they had a much higher number of handpasses to Donegal's total so I think it might be a bit of a myth that we're all about short handpassing. The number of kick passes against Galway I would imagine is as high as any team have produced this year.
    My take on it is, I was much less optimistic going in against Dublin last year and look what happened there! :D
    I'm really looking forward to it and I expect us to be competitive and am just hoping if any goals are scored that we're the ones getting them.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Interestingly tho jj, I saw a stat on the Galway game which showed that they had a much higher number of handpasses to Donegal's total so I think it might be a bit of a myth that we're all about short handpassing. The number of kick passes against Galway I would imagine is as high as any team have produced this year.
    My take on it is, I was much less optimistic going in against Dublin last year and look what happened there! :D
    I'm really looking forward to it and I expect us to be competitive and am just hoping if any goals are scored that we're the ones getting them.

Ah yeah your prob right re: passing; it's just the point I'm trying to make is that the intensity of our game requires 3 week prep or at worst 2 in my mind.
    My God how I hope I'm proved so wrong come Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I was talking to a doctor during the week and asked him about recovery time and the one week turn around being a disadvantage. He thought that it shouldnt be an issue in terms of mental preparation, but anyone with an injury is wide open. I think for this reason I would have Murphy in at the edge of the square, there is no point in battering him out the field, as he defo wont last the pace if he is put mid field. I would start McIlhenny and Gallagher at mid field. WE need to start our best on saturday, and possibly spring the likes of christy from the bench.

I hope we manage our squad in the best way possible. If Lacey and E McGee start, I hope we don't have to take them off after 10 minutes. I really think that we should start with Paddy on the bench given he has broken down in every game since Armagh.

eddie73 wrote: »
    I was talking to a doctor during the week and asked him about recovery time and the one week turn around being a disadvantage. He thought that it shouldnt be an issue in terms of mental preparation, but anyone with an injury is wide open. I think for this reason I would have Murphy in at the edge of the square, there is no point in battering him out the field, as he defo wont last the pace if he is put mid field. I would start McIlhenny and Gallagher at mid field. WE need to start our best on saturday, and possibly spring the likes of christy from the bench.

Remember an interview McGuinness done last year where he broke it down well.
    Week 1 - Recovery
    Week 2 - Intense Training
    Week 3 - Taper it all of and finalise tactics.

The tactical preparation is probably as big a part of it as anything. Longer you have to prepare the better i'd guess!

Eddie you could well be right and to reiterate my point; I hope I look stupid on Saturday and we pull it of :-)

RSF - Totally agree on that one. It would be a disaster to see Lacey or anyone 50/50 limp of early with an injury. A big final 20mins in that case would surely be the safest option.

1 Durcan
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 E McGee (hmm)
    5 R McHugh
    6 Lacey (hmmmmmm)
    7 McGlynn
    8 Gallagher
    9 McElhinney
    10 O'Reilly
    11 MacNiallais
    12 M McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 C McFadden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ginzo wrote: »
    Conor Mortimer reckons Mayo will need two goals to win. HArd to argue with what he says in this - https://beanbagsports.com/blog/2015/08/05/conor-mortimer-there-is-a-big-issue-in-the-gaa/

I feel the second half performance last week has glossed over the cracks that were evident in the first half.

I'd say so but they'll need to stop us from scoring 2 or 3 goals, basically stop being Mayo!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd say so but they'll need to stop us from scoring 2 or 3 goals, basically stop being Mayo!

I love the optimism! I wish I could find some but the closer it gets the more nervous I'm getting!
    Cheers for update RSF; yeah I'd have a big hmmmm too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ginzo wrote: »
    Conor Mortimer reckons Mayo will need two goals to win. HArd to argue with what he says in this - https://beanbagsports.com/blog/2015/08/05/conor-mortimer-there-is-a-big-issue-in-the-gaa/

I feel the second half performance last week has glossed over the cracks that were evident in the first half.

We're the side who will need the goals given our dismal point scoring this year.

Advertisement