Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ericom congestion and contention

• 02-10-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is old hat, but most of the threads on this are quite old.
    Just looking for some advice really...

I'm on a 7MB package and all day (if I'm working from home I check regularly) I can get a solid 5 to 5.5 Meg speed, but in the evening it drops to anything between 0.3 and 0.6 - which is pretty unusable.

I've been on to Eircom - they checked the line, they checked where it enters my house, even lent me another modem to try with with everything else in the house disconnected, and still no joy (same speed issues).
    As far as they are concerned it's contention (probably congestion)

They said the line is fine and checks out well - and that I'm just less than 3 miles from the exchange.
    It's not an NGB exchange (although the fiber network runs to it between Mullingar and Athlone) but as far as I know it's not scheduled for an NGB upgrade (the exchange is Moyvore BTW)

Have they just oversubscribed the lines ? If I move to another provider (e.g. Vodafone) it's still be on the same infrastructure - so would I just have the same issue ? (I'm guessing yes)

It's just really crap - is there any SLA for customers as most evenings I'm getting 10% of what my line is capable of supporting ?

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated....

Advertisement