Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy RIP

Options
  • 02-10-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭

The author Tom Clancy has just died. His books were always massive tomes that were great value for money, and most of them were great reads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24372224

RIP. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can't say I've read any of his books. Perhaps I should do something about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

His ideas led to some of my favourite games ever. Rainbow Six : Rogue Spear and Ravenshield. Oh and Ghost Recon. :D Plus I really liked those Jack Ryan movies. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The core Jack Ryan (before Jack Junior) novels passed many a winter's night.
    I do hope the characters don't get picked up by a lesser author.

RIP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Red Storm Rising was a classic of its genre. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

He was no Dickens, Nabokov or Dan Brown, but he wrote some of the best techno-military thrillers. If women can secretly read 50 shades, I think men secretly read Tom Clancy (not trying to be too sexist, my own sister loved TC - but it's real teenage boy stuff).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hmmm wrote: »
    He was no Dickens, Nabokov or Dan Brown....

Something very wrong with that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Manach wrote: »
    Red Storm Rising was a classic of its genre. RIP.

+1 a chilling and realistic account of how WW3 might have broken out in the 1980's, it really struck a chord with me at the time.

His politics might a been a bit far leaning to the right for some but he could spin a good yarn, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

hmmm wrote: »
    He was no Dickens, Nabokov or Dan Brown, but he wrote some of the best techno-military thrillers. If women can secretly read 50 shades, I think men secretly read Tom Clancy (not trying to be too sexist, my own sister loved TC - but it's real teenage boy stuff).

Tom Clancy's books work on many levels.

First of all they are pro-Western propaganda designed to be read by a Western public to encourage young men to join the military and use the toys they describe, they tell American taxpayers how their tax dollars were being spent on military hardware, they are designed to terrorize enemies of the United States in Russia, China and the Middle East about what to expect if they make the mistake of attacking America, they are supposed to educate the American public on what really goes on in the corridors of power and they also are pure escapism for a long haul flight.

Clancy's books are comparable to Frederick Forsyth who also rooted his brilliant novels in reality, in the cloak and dagger world of espionage and showed how precarious world peace really is by portraying plausible world in jeopardy scenarios.

I am positive that Bin Laden must have been reading the novel Debt of Honor when he conceived the 9/11 attacks.

His novel Rainbow Six about a group of fanatical eco terrorists is utterly chilling especially the ending which asks questions about the fine line between justifiable military action and cold blooded murder.

This scene from the movie Patriot Games which departs quite a lot from the novel captures the often sinister atmosphere in Clancy's books as his characters battle with their consciences about what they are doing. A lot of his work foresaw the emergence of terrorism and the use intelligence agencies to fight it rather than conventional war as the future of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Without remorse is one of my favs, have read it a few times perfect boys book. Always thought it would make a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'm looking for a new series to start. I want to begin reading from the start of the the series. I don't want to read books based a long way in the past.

As the Jack Ryan series begins in 1984 I've ruled this series out. I was thinking of starting the Jack Ryan Jr series. Do you need to have read the Jack Ryan books or can you start off with Junior?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm looking for a new series to start. I want to start the series from the start. I don't want to read books based a long way in the past.

As the Jack Ryan series begins in 1984 I've ruled this series out. I was thinking of starting the Jack Ryan Jr series. Do you need to have read the Jack Ryan books or can you start off with Junior?!
    Take them from the start in order. They then lead onto the Ryan JR books and Ryan Sr is still there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just bought his latest Ryan book this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

+1 Nabakov is sooo overrated!!1!

:pac:

RIP TC, a bit like Robert Ludlum he wrote some very good thrillers. Can't say I liked everything her wrote but there are some classics in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If I was a Mod on this forum, classing Brown in with Dickens or Nabokov would result in a permanent ban

Advertisement