Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poster Frame

Options
  • 02-10-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hi, Looking for a poster frame that will fit this

It says 18 x 24 inch frame will suit, the image itself is 14 x 20, with that includes a white border - making it 16 x 22.

I can't seem to find a bloody suitable frame. I've got a quote for over €150 euro to get them custom made, but I'd rather stick them in a cheap frame from IKEA or something. I've tried finding something suitable to no avail. Anyone have an idea where I could find a frame that will work, that's reasonably priced?

I have a few, and they are presents for a friend, any help much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A tricky situation that I've found myself in.
    You could make a frame yourself - lots on Youtube etc, a glue gun, some timber moulding, brown paper. Of course you'd have to go to local glazers for the glass.

I had a photo 12' x 12' exactly square. Most frames come retangular and I didn't want to cut the photo. We searched everywhere but to bo avail. Then I spotted a cheap square picture in a frame in a popular Home supplies shop. It cost a few € so I cut the back open, removed the picture and replaced it with my photo, resealed the back of the frame. Job done.

It looks great. Maybe yo could do the same - just look for a framed picture similar to the size you need & see if you can easily swap pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Worth trying exactly what the previous post suggests.

IKEA do have cheap plastic poster frames, or at least they did. I cant remember the size I got previously but can check later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

fdevine wrote: »
    Worth trying exactly what the previous post suggests.

IKEA do have cheap plastic poster frames, or at least they did. I cant remember the size I got previously but can check later.

I've checked IKEA. There is at least 3 cheap frames that would fit, but it would be uneven. If that makes sense. Like bigger gap on top and bottom then the sides.

Makes sense. I have had the same issue.

Don't if you would get the size but how about the frameless clip type?

fdevine wrote: »
    Makes sense. I have had the same issue.

Don't if you would get the size but how about the frameless clip type?

How do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

I buy nice frames in clearance in tk maxx (usually have a crap picture in them) and replace them with my own pics. They're usually unique frames too and great quality

Mok wrote: »
    I buy nice frames in clearance in tk maxx (usually have a crap picture in them) and replace them with my own pics. They're usually unique frames too and great quality

Yeah, I've noticed them before. I can't seem to find any at the right size.

GrumPy wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I mean the type you get in the €2 for postcards only bigger

I had my poster in a larger version before the glass cracked, hence getting the IKEA one

They're a sheet of glass, hardboard on the back and metal clips that hold the glass in that pop into holes in the hardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Have a look on Amazon.co.uk - I got two frames there recently that I couldn't get in Dublin (without paying a fortune), and I was really happy with them.

quaalude wrote: »
    Have a look on Amazon.co.uk - I got two frames there recently that I couldn't get in Dublin (without paying a fortune), and I was really happy with them.

Yeah had a look, found suitable sizes, but I need five and including postage, it starts getting into silly prices. Over €150.

They have some *almost* perfect one's in IKEA for as little as €12 a pop, but just not right dimensions.

• Advertisement

Found some nice cheap ones in Wallmart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

GrumPy wrote: »
    Yeah had a look, found suitable sizes, but I need five and including postage, it starts getting into silly prices. Over €150.

Ah - that's a pain - the ones I got had Free Super Saver postage, so worked out great.

Advertisement