Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre + Eircom Phonewatch - anyone got any experience of the two?

• 02-10-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking at upgrading my folks' broadband to eFibre and, as they have Phonewatch, thought I'd ask whether anyone on here has the two (and if so, are there any problems?).

I called into Eircom, spoke to three different people and each of them said that they either didn't know, or they assumed it would be fine, but offered nothing beyond that.

Would we need anything in particular? We'd be getting a visit from the Eircom engineer for the eFibre installation. Would it be straightforward or would be have to get someone from Phonewatch out too?

I've not asked this in the Eircom forum as I'm hoping to hear from people who actually have the two installed rather than another Eircom rep.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If the alarm isn't interfering with your current broadband setup then I can't see a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

When I placed my eFibre order over the phone with Eircom the person who was setting up the order and my new account asked if I had a monitored alarm/etc.

I told them I did not and they said that was good as eFibre could not be provided in this case. I didn't pursue any further as to the why?

Perhaps call to order eFibre and ask them that straight up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

You can have a monitored alarm with FTTC once you keep the PSTN connection too.

The technician will ensure the alarm connection at the NTU is wired correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

kaizersoze wrote: »
    If the alarm isn't interfering with your current broadband setup then I can't see a problem.

Oddly enough, at present we have two numbers in the house and the one that has Phonewatch doesn't have broadband on it. But I think we'll try to simplify it and get rid of the current broadband phone number and put it all on the home phone line that has Phonewatch on it, if possible.
    eddiem74 wrote: »
    When I placed my eFibre order over the phone with Eircom the person who was setting up the order and my new account asked if I had a monitored alarm/etc.

I told them I did not and they said that was good as eFibre could not be provided in this case. I didn't pursue any further as to the why?

Perhaps call to order eFibre and ask them that straight up.

I did, as I mentioned above, and after being passed around a few times the most solid answer I could get as to whether it would work was "I can't see why not".
    phog wrote: »
    You can have a monitored alarm with FTTC once you keep the PSTN connection too.

The technician will ensure the alarm connection at the NTU is wired correctly.

Sorry, I'm not really up on the alarm stuff. I'm a bit out of my depth as regards the first sentence.

Do you mean the technician who installs eFibre or do we need another Phonewatch technician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

brophs wrote: »
    Oddly enough, at present we have two numbers in the house and the one that has Phonewatch doesn't have broadband on it. But I think we'll try to simplify it and get rid of the current broadband phone number and put it all on the home phone line that has Phonewatch on it, if possible.

I did, as I mentioned above, and after being passed around a few times the most solid answer I could get as to whether it would work was "I can't see why not".

Sorry, I'm not really up on the alarm stuff. I'm a bit out of my depth as regards the first sentence.

Do you mean the technician who installs eFibre or do we need another Phonewatch technician?

The Eircom technician has to fit an NTU, he will connect the feed cable to the rear of the socket, he will connect any other internal cables to the rear of the face plate, this has internal filters to prevent broadband interference.

Edited to add - you say you've two lines, the alarm will only be connected to the fibre NTU if it is already connected to that line when the installation is being carried out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement