Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with cars off road for numerous years

Options
  • 02-10-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi I had a quick look and this topic doesn't seem to have been covered but apologies if it has!

My partner and his father are what you would call hoarders and worst thing a hoarder can have is land! Between them they have accumulated over 10 cars in their back garden, these have been off the road quite a while ranging from 2 - 15 years and will never return to the road!
    The problem is, all of them are in their name but log books at this stage are prob quite difficult to find, some of them have the old brown book!

Am I right in assuming that this new motor tax law doesn't affect these cars as long as they never want to return them to the road?
    My concern is that the motor tax office may decide in time to send out random fines to owners of cars who haven't officially declared their car off the road (handy way to make money for them) assuming that if they are not officially declared off the road then they can assume they are being used?

Any advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

If you ever try to put these back on the road you will have to pay x years tax on them.
    By right you should have signed them all off the road before the deadline.
    All you can do now is change the name on the log book and back now to get out of it.
    As long as your sure they'll never go back on the road you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

if you ever try to bring it back on the road... just sell it to a relative and they won't be liable for past tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

RF 150 each should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

aujopimur wrote: »
    RF 150 each should sort it out.

That doesn't clear up the back tax issue, either had to be payed now or have a change of ownership.

Advertisement