Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Hermans Tortoise owners out there?

Options
  • 02-10-2013 5:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today I paid for a Hermans Tortoise from Reptile Haven in Dublin. I'll be collecting him on Friday or Saturday as I'm finishing off the construction of what will be his table - here's a pic:

274205.jpg

It's 4' X 2' so should be plenty big for him for a few years. Just have a bit of construction to finish off and I also picked up the necessary accessories like the basking lamp (clip on) and UV tube today (which will be attached to a long wall).

I've got a water dish and I'm well aware that he'll want luke warm shallow dips in water too to encourage waste disposal.

I'll be getting some food tomorrow and I'm just going to get a couple of planters to leave on the balcony of my flat to grow the sorts of things he'll want to eat. I've got the calcium and vitamin supplement to go along with that too.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing anything obvious? The tortoise (who shall be named Alexander as his paperwork says Macedonia is his country of origin) is 3 years old, fits in my palm, so it seems that I'm past some of the more difficult stages of his youth. The table is going to be in my sitting room beside a storage heater (which doesn't get switched on all that often tbh as the flat's generally reasonably warm). I will probably get a thermostat controlled IR heat bulb too for winter - I think we can safely say it's not terribly cold at the moment considering it's October.

All advice and suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Chris Arch

Nice table... You will need to look at the bedding and the lights now...

Got 2 Herman Tortoises earlier this week...

I built a table your size 1.2m x 0.6m... I was thinking of a change of level like yours but this is not done yet (like adding a storey + basement floor maybe) ... I have bigger troubles at the minutes as they do not eat...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

y9i0s_thumb.jpg

Got it finished last night and sorted in the flat.

Tortoise has been popped into the table now and it's so big he didn't know what to do with himself. I left him under the basking lamp as I had to get back to work, so I'll be hoping he's started exploring when I get home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Chris Arch

Some photos of our setup

274552.jpg

274553.jpg

274555.jpg

274554.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Nice setup, at least you're starting out the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Genghiscol

Hi.

Your set up looks great, im on the tortoise forum you might find it helpful for anything you need help with.

I have two greek spurs also from reptile haven and have built my own enclosure, heres a link to the forum and my own thread on my enclosure.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-59677.html

Good luck with your new shelled comrade.

Colin

• Advertisement
Advertisement