Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I'm with you on the efforts around Irish. It's not even the money or time that I find most problematic, it's that, to me, it doesn't serve the language well (I don't hate it) to have regular efforts to prop it up. The religion thing is possible, of course, but anecdotally last year I saw a few timetables in classrooms and the time on RE didn't seem too bad. This was infants, though.

Does it in practice, or is that simply appearance? Surely, with education we should firstly be talking about access above all else.

Taxes? The problem with this issue is that it's usually caught up in soundbites and bumper sticker slogans, here and in the US. Both sides of the political spectrum are guilty of this. On the hyper left, it's 'tax the rich!', because ya know, that's specific. On the right, it's 'taxes (or regulation) kill jobs!' I'd like to hear about what regulation is specifically at fault, but invariably, we don't. Or where it does unfold in some detail, it seems to be largely on the basis ideology or some element of point scoring. Rather than seeming to come out as being completely anti-regulation surely it might more sense to speak to common sense or smart regulation. Lord knows the US Republican party primary process seems to be held hostage by Grover Norquist's moronic pledge (not sure what the left's version might be?). I presume a lot of the scepticism around regulation is that it creates red tape, that it's a barrier to innovation, expansion and hiring more staff, but again I feel this sounds soundbitey, and perhaps I'm being a bit that way myself.

It does seem that, at times, elements of the private sector are only too quick to congratulate themselves (not limited to Apple or Ryanair :pac: ) and some of its buzz words seem a little oversold, or something. Just glance at the Talk To section on here and see the disaster stories (AH for the public sector, I suppose) and whilst you may vote with your feet or wallet, this can sometimes feel like an illusion. I'm sure many big firms would be only too happy to swallow up their competitors if they could, so maybe competition is sometimes overhyped and always not of value to the consumer. The public sector world is not immune from endless self-congratulatory press releases, of course. Looking at The Celtic Tiger narrative of 'prosperity' very much came from the top - we were constantly told about the 4% unemployment rate, growth rates - we were falling over to congratulate ourselves. People say materialism replaced religion and community, but it was economics, tbh.

We do seem to have an odd situation in this country where the corporation tax rate appears to be an ultra sacred cow. Yes, it may bring a lot of jobs here, most people will never work for heavyweights like Google, though. Obviously I'm a sceptic of those who want to row back regulation significantly (in the main, I think history has told us some areas just don't do self-regulation be it private or public), in the same breath I've pretty mixed maybe even hostile views towards something like a sugar tax. Overall, I'm not sure what the answers are. Better debate, less soundbites around personal taxation and on goods/services...more co-operation between both sectors and not just automatic push back when prickly points are raised. [/late evening waffle]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The 'slaves' clip was tongue-in-cheek.

So answer my simple question than, where does wealth come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

jank wrote: »
    You obviously have a point in mind with the question, where you ask the question, wait for a reply, then reply with your point - so instead of dragging this out across three (now five) posts, perhaps just explain your point (which takes just one post).

When you ask extraordinarily open ended questions like that, which don't have any kind of an obvious purpose/relevance, I tend to not answer them myself either, because it always seems like you're just setting the stage for a rhetorical (and often very condescending) response.

Maybe you have a perfectly reasonable response in mind, but your posting style/history naturally makes people distrust your intentions there - an example of how that posting style, is counterproductive in debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

where does wealth come from?

Sometimes simple questions have complex answers Danielson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

headondesk.jpg

If you're going to reply to that post, can somebody PLEASE! attempt an answer to the question.

Jernal wrote: »
    can somebody PLEASE! attempt an answer to the question.

Okay. Where does wealth come from? How long is a piece of string?
    This list, off the top off my head, is by no means exhaustive.

Cultural capital.
    Pure Luck.
    Inheritance.
    Entrepreneurship.
    Hard work.
    Innovation.
    Speculation.
    Market manipulation.
    Screwing workers.
    Theft.
    Imperialism.
    Trade.
    Corruption.

Never one of the above, I'd say, but some combination of many.

It isn't one bit self evident that the mere creation of a job is a benefit to society. Slavery is an unpaid job. Low paid working and atrocious conditions are jobs. Having a well paid job but not being able to afford basic cost of livings is a problem in many urbanised industrial areas e.g Paris. Being employed takes people off the state's payroll that's all but unless it actively adds to the quality of life it's ultimately a drain on society in the longer term. (I value the average individual's quality of life as the primary factor by which the quality of a society should be decided.)

The dole by itself isn't a bad thing - you're never going to have 100% employment. Yes, high unemployment figures aren't good economy wise but we need to be careful here. There's no point in having a wonder GDP and employment rate if everybody's lives are sh*t!

Purely on this.
    Your posts suggest that a PAYE employee who dutifully pays taxes to support the aforementioned dole queues is "giving back" to society, but an entrepreneur who creates jobs that let people support themselves is a profit-seeking exploiter. Perhaps I should re-read my Das Kapital so that I can better follow your logic?

Really? I suppose you missed the part where I specifically said I wasn't referring to start ups and small business. I consider them to be a good thing. Jeez. You started this entire irrelevant tangent and yet we still can't seem to come to an understanding on anything. So, I don't really know how to proceed here. PAYE workers do give back to society and I consider that a good thing. As I do the small businesses. What I was specifically referring to was when you get small businesses and start-ups and go grand scale. A situation like we have in the U.S where almost 50% of the money is owned by 1% of the population. (Can we really consider that 1% to be "giving" back? Who know's maybe it's the only way, or best way, society can work but thus far nobody has really been addressing this.)

Also seen as we're jumped a page or so and no one has addressed it. I'd like someone to. (If possible.)
    Business aren't good for everyone. They rely on supply and demand and able employees. How are businesses benefiting people with disabilities or severe illnesses? (I seem to be using arthritis a lot lately. This better not jinx me. ) Consider a person with severe rheumatoid arthritis who is unable to work. How exactly does a business benefit them without providing services at a loss? The person is unable to work and has, if we remove taxes from society/business, no source of income other than charity. How is this subset of society going to be benefited by a business. Sure, they provide equipment and medical diagnostics but presumably these services aren't going to be provided for free. A similar line of reasoning could be used for people with little to no money. A business isn't really answerable to the sick and poor. The state however is - even the sick and poor get a vote. Taxes may be spent badly and inappropriately but that's not an argument against the idea of a state oversight it's only an argument against shoddy implementations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The ground? Well it's one way.

Dig up some iron ore, smelt it into a bar and sell it. Wealth created.

Metal worker uses a few bars to produce a gate. Sells gate. Wealth created.

Wealth is created when work is done. Now imagine that work is very cheap. (See China)

"How Slavery Helped Build a World Economy."

The slaves produced sugar, tobacco and cotton. Commodities that would make their masters wealthy, after selling on.

Almost forgot. The Windsor family created a lot of wealth by travelling to far flung destinations (not personally), sticking a flag in the ground and saying "that's mine." Then they proceeded to pillage anything of worth. They simply thieved their wealth and killed a couple of natives along the way. But they ooze class, don't they? :P

If you're going to reply to that post, can somebody PLEASE! attempt an answer to the question.
    I will bite, but I will preface it by stating: 'Wealth' is not a well defined term, and when it is mentioned in these debates, the word is almost always used without the poster defining what they actually mean (unless it's something obvious like 'wealthy/rich people', which obviously means having a lot of money), and the ambiguity of the word is used to make counterpoints/statements that are so general, they appear superficially as a credible argument, but are really meaningless (because the poster hasn't explained what they actually mean).

So, where does wealth come from; first off, wealth can be defined as accumulating actual physical resources (metals, gold, 'widgets') which are useful in themselves, but money is also often referenced as 'wealth', when it is more potential wealth (where you could argue, 'real' wealth is only attained by spending it).

So, with such an ill defined term, where money itself may or may not be considered true 'wealth' (depending on who you ask), makes it an extraordinarily open-ended question...

If you consider wealth the accumulation of available physical resources, then labour/production creates wealth; if you consider money wealth, and combine it with the fact that banks create money when they extend loans (instead of it coming from savings, as is commonly thought), then loans create 'wealth' (but the person who took out the loan, will have the same 'net wealth' as before the loan), and holding the financial asset for that loans 'debt' can also be considered wealth.

Even intangible things, like knowledge, creativity and personality, can all be considered 'wealth' too, so you can create wealth just by learning/creating things or socializing - if you follow that definition.

So, there are a lot of ways that (depending on who you ask) wealth is created; asking such an open-ended question doesn't really lead the debate anywhere, it really requires the poster to apply the term in making an actual point, and properly explaining their use/definition of the term (if it isn't obvious).

Just so people remember, this question on wealth, was in reply to this below:
    Wealth doesn't trickle down. Wealth gets squeezed up. If wealth trickled down there wouldn't be tens of millions of unemployed people in the US and Europe. But hey, just keep chanting your 'job creationist' mantra in the face of all the hard evidence.

Incidentally, there's a blog whose RSS feed I've been falling behind on lately, that has a Set. Of. Interesting. Articles. (but very long), on the topic of money not being wealth, which I've given a start on while reading up on this.

bluewolf wrote: »
    And yet we trust them to choose who runs the country ^^

The consumer example is an interesting one.
    How does effective drug industry regulation work here? And would generic medicines be more or less common?

At present the only way I think regulation can work is if you have conflict between all involved parties: government, NGOs and private corporations.
    FDA performs routine (very often OTT!) regulation on drugs. Independent group like the Cochrane collaboration independently assess the results of the drugs efficacy and safety. Private Corporations risk the clinical trials, possible compensation and of course could end up making a massive profit or go bust.

Consider a drug where 1/30 people who take it will die. 99% of customers will be satisfied with their products? How exactly would industry appointed regulation work here? What motivating factors or influences are on them not to look the other way at that 1% of consumers who die (and because of people's unintuitive gasp of statistics that'd be quite easy. Look at smoking almost 1 in 2 smokers die yet there was a really strong denial lobby running for several decades!). That's why I put conflict as the best regulator with everyone trying to 1-up the other they'd be delighted with the firepower of something like 1/30 dying - and more importantly they'd already have the infrastructure and resources to publicly make the claim.

(Please don't take this into a tangent about the current prescription system, which is of course a mess (what isn't?). I'm more interested in concepts. In my opinion, we need to be talking about the principles behinds the ideologies not the failings of the practice of some system here or there because that could go on forever. We need to demonstrate the ideas are based on sound principles first. That seems an easier and more logical step. (Again to me.)

• Advertisement

Cultural capital.
    Pure Luck.
    Inheritance.
    Entrepreneurship.
    Hard work.
    Innovation.
    Speculation.
    Market manipulation.
    Screwing workers.
    Theft.
    Imperialism.
    Trade.
    Corruption.

So why did you maintain that "Wealth doesn't trickle down. Wealth gets squeezed up" Some of your examples you have given contradics that. Capitalism is not a zero sum game no matter what you are told otherwise.

Or for the gold bugs: Dig up gold out of a hole in the ground, smelt it into a bar, put it into another hole in the ground (bank vault); wealth created.

Totally offtopic but regarding creating wealth. Anybody here ever play Anno?
    Made a really wealthy and balanced economy once only to have to try to protect shipping lanes from pirates. Couldn't balance military costs and the economy on my small island. Within a short period of time the pirates were eradicated and my citizens were in full revolt. It was helpful that a team of scientists at the university had a malfunctioning prototype and wiped out a great deal of the due to a fire. (I was pretty much praying for a tsunami until then.):o

Anyways, the moral of the story is I was totally taken aback at how much economic effort is required to maintain a military. It totally toppled my citizens wealth.

So did you maintain that "Wealth doesn't trickle down. Wealth gets squeezed up" Some of your examples you have given contradics that. Capitalism is not a zero sum game no matter what you are told otherwise.
    So instead of just saying in the beginning "wealth means a lot of things and this 'x' definition of wealth does trickles down", you've drawn this out over well over ten posts between posters now, and will take even longer because you still haven't come out and said how wealth trickles down, you've just said "Some [unspecified] of your examples contradics[sic] that".

What examples of 'wealth' in the post, trickle down?

On that topic, here's a quote from John Kenneth Galbraith on trickle-down theory, "what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: 'If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.'"

His Age of Uncertainty documentary, is an extremely good economics documentary; probably the best one I've seen on economics thus far.

Metal worker uses a few bars to produce a gate. Sells gate. Wealth created.

Wealth is created when work is done. Now imagine that work is very cheap. (See China)

Your example is right. However everyone in the chain benefits from the process in your example. The person who owns the land, the person who is tasked to dig up the ore, the person tasked to smelt the ore into steel, the person responsible to make gates from steal to the end client who buys said gates.
    Everyone benefits including the many middle men charged with administration, transportation and distribution never mind the taxman who collects his slice at every single opportunity. Wealth is created at every step if you so will, not by some imaginary boogie man portrayed in some Bolshevik news real.

The point is that Capitalism and the free market has created an unimaginable wealth for billions of people around the world. It has lifted millions upon millions of people from poverty especially in the past 200 years. You have a better quality of life with comforts that an Emperor of Rome could only dream off. You mention China but forget to mention the increase of wealth that has happened in that country in a very short number of years. In 2001 only about 2.9% of the population could be termed middle class. Today that figure is over 18%. By 2020 it is estimated that over 40% of the population will be middle class. China today is the largest market in the world for Cars, mobile phones, luxury items as well as a host of other consumer good we take for granted.
    http://thediplomat.com/pacific-money/2013/05/30/half-a-billion-chinas-middle-class-consumers/

The guts of 300 million people have been lifted out of poverty by capitalism in one generation. Astonishing stuff really.

Now cast your eyes back to 1958-1962 where a plan by the centralised communist government to collectivise agricultural output lead to the deaths of up to 30 million people due to starvation. Ironically this plan was given the Orwellian term “The great leap forward”.
    The evidence is in and it is undisputed. Capitalism and free markets work, for all its flaws and its unequal distribution of wealth, it works. Statism and centralised planned government do not work and in fact have killed many millions of people, never mind that these governments can only put their ‘plans’ into action through authoritarian and totalitarian means. A brief look at the two Koreas is ample proof. So instead of posting neo-statism Marxist claptrap on iPhones while drinking a Starbucks mocha raising fists and wagging fingers at some make believe boogie capitalist, the question we should be asking is how we can make poor people into middle class educated consumers. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Some of your examples you have given contradics that.

If taken in isolation then perhaps but I specifically avoided that conclusion from being drawn by stating:

Now either you're having difficulty with your reading comprehension or you're being dishonest and, tbh, I couldn't be bothered dealing with either issue you have. So I'll be ignoring any further questions on this issue.

So instead of just saying in the beginning "wealth means a lot of things and this 'x' definition of wealth does trickles down", you've drawn this out over well over ten posts between posters now, and will take even longer because you still haven't come out and said how wealth trickles down, you've just said "Some [unspecified] of your examples contradics[sic] that".

What examples of 'wealth' in the post, trickle down?

On that topic, here's a quote from John Kenneth Galbraith on trickle-down theory, "what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: 'If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows.'"

His Age of Uncertainty documentary, is an extremely good economics documentary; probably the best one I've seen on economics thus far.

I haven’t drawn out anything, I asked a simple question and it was dogged and ducked until it was finally addressed. If you want to point fingers and blame look at the person who dogged the question.

Examples? Trade for one. Entrepreneurship for another.

If taken in isolation then perhaps but I specifically avoided that conclusion from being drawn by stating:

Now either you're having difficulty with your reading comprehension or you're being dishonest and, tbh, I couldn't be bothered dealing with either issue you have. So I'll be ignoring any further questions on this issue.

Well that is one way of not engaging in the topic at hand especially given the 'whataboutery' answer and not clarifying your statment. I take it therefore as a withdrawel.

I take it therefore as a withdrawel.

If thinking that makes you feel better about yourself then go right ahead and think it. <Please try to refrain from the personal stuff >

• Advertisement

Sigh...can we have a forum rule perhaps, where if someone is accused of being Communist or Marxist, there has to be some burden of proof enforced? (it's such a specific claim, that it should be really easy to prove, whenever it is true)

I don't recall ever seeing a Communist on Boards in all my time posting here (and I've posted in politics/economics/theory related forums a lot), but it's a lot like how in every Israel thread, all critics of Israel are suddenly 'Anti-Semites'; for some posters, in all political/economic threads, all people who don't rabidly support unfettered free-market capitalism are 'Communists'.

It destroys quality of debate in threads, when posters insist you support Communism when you insist you don't, then ignore what you're saying and start railing against parts of Communism completely unrelated to your posts (while pretending they are replying to you), and it just turns into soapboxing about the values of Capitalism in contrast to Communism.

You can't fix all instances of that template of argument, but the 'Communist' one is probably really easy to fix.

Anyone who thinks that China is an example of a Capitalist free market needs to to be de-programmed from the propaganda they've taken in.
    While China continues to develop capitalistic capacities, the party-state has
    increasingly tightened control of the economy and synchronized political and economic
    stratification – a tendency towards a centrally managed capitalism. Under centrally managed
    capitalism, the party-state commands the economy by controlling personnel,
    organizations, and capital in both political and economic arenas.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1740-8784.2010.00203.x/pdf

Take a look at the largest Chinese companies and try to spot the ones that aren't state owned.

Of course all this talk of capitalism completely ignores any moral appraisal of how China treats its citizens. Me? See, I like my freedom. I like being able to call the government a pack cunts and not expect a knock on the door from a gang of government Apparatchiks. That's why I'd rather be poor in a western country than well off in a place like China. Freedom is a wealth all of its own.

Sigh...can we have a forum rule perhaps, where if someone is accused of being Communist or Marxist, there has to be some burden of proof enforced? (it's such a specific claim, that it should be really easy to prove, whenever it is true)

I don't recall ever seeing a Communist on Boards in all my time posting here (and I've posted in politics/economics/theory related forums a lot), but it's a lot like how in every Israel thread, all critics of Israel are suddenly 'Anti-Semites'; for some posters, in all political/economic threads, all people who don't rabidly support unfettered free-market capitalism are 'Communists'.

It destroys quality of debate in threads, when posters insist you support Communism when you insist you don't, then ignore what you're saying and start railing against parts of Communism completely unrelated to your posts (while pretending they are replying to you), and it just turns into soapboxing about the values of Capitalism in contrast to Communism.

You can't fix all instances of that template of argument, but the 'Communist' one is probably really easy to fix.

Here we go again. Who exactly did I call a communist?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It isn't one bit self evident that the mere creation of a job is a benefit to society. Slavery is an unpaid job. Low paid working and atrocious conditions are jobs. Having a well paid job but not being able to afford basic cost of livings is a problem in many urbanised industrial areas e.g Paris. Being employed takes people off the state's payroll that's all but unless it actively adds to the quality of life it's ultimately a drain on society in the longer term. (I value the average individual's quality of life as the primary factor by which the quality of a society should be decided.)

The dole by itself isn't a bad thing - you're never going to have 100% employment. Yes, high unemployment figures aren't good economy wise but we need to be careful here.

I suspect that for many people, quality of life is not directly proportional to money earned. In terms of wealth, how to you put a value on self worth and self esteem? Working hard to achieve, either individually or as part of a team provides this, as does gaining experience and helping others achieve their potential. Letting people know that they're doing a good job, that they're contributing to a larger effort in a very tangible sense also provides a huge degree of satisfaction for many. Yes, you have to be able pay the bills and put food on the table, but that is by no means the extent of your needs.

I think the dole for able bodied people is a bad thing, for anything more than a number of months, because work is a habit and not working can also become a habit. Looking at the number of people that take internships, which is basically working for free in order to avoid the unemployment trap, is an illustration of how much this can mean to people. This leads somewhat on to your second question;
    Business aren't good for everyone. They rely on supply and demand and able employees. How are businesses benefiting people with disabilities or severe illnesses? (I seem to be using arthritis a lot lately. This better not jinx me. ) Consider a person with severe rheumatoid arthritis who is unable to work. How exactly does a business benefit them without providing services at a loss? The person is unable to work and has, if we remove taxes from society/business, no source of income other than charity. How is this subset of society going to be benefited by a business. Sure, they provide equipment and medical diagnostics but presumably these services aren't going to be provided for free. A similar line of reasoning could be used for people with little to no money. A business isn't really answerable to the sick and poor. The state however is - even the sick and poor get a vote. Taxes may be spent badly and inappropriately but that's not an argument against the idea of a state oversight it's only an argument against shoddy implementations.

Businesses aren't good for everyone, but they form an integral part of of our society. The more people there are at work, the fewer people unemployed, the more resources that the state has available to care for those in real need. In terms of improving the average quality of life, we need to focus on those with the lowest quality of life and improve their lot, which takes resources. In a resource constrained environment, having close on half a million people on the dole is an issue that needs to be addressed. My feeling is that people are alway better off doing something than nothing, and even taking on a low paid mundane job is contributing to self worth and society rather than drawing from both.

Of course all this talk of capitalism completely ignores any moral appraisal of how China treats its citizens. Me? See, I like my freedom. I like being able to call the government a pack cunts and not expect a knock on the door from a gang of government Apparatchiks. That's why I'd rather be poor in a western country than well off in a place like China. Freedom is a wealth all of its own.

Political reforms will come to china, in fact its slowly happening but it has a long way to go yet.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/review/china_middle_class_gets_political_2XgpFfpKDawuA4dugkl9gN
    The political scientist Samuel Huntington pointed many years ago to a “gap” that arose between those expectations and the realities of economic and political opportunities that a given society offered its middle class. Revolutions and instability tend to be fuelled by disappointed middle-class individuals, not by the poor.

The wealther and more educated the population gets the more accountability and freedoms they will want in return. Easy to rule a dirt poor country. All I am saying is that China is better off now than 20-30 years ago.

If the China example isnt to your liking than look at the two Koreas. Which one would you rather live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Political reforms will come to china, in fact its slowly happening but it has a long way to go yet.

I admire the confidence of your assertion, but I can't agree with it. What reforms will come, do you think, and why?

The wealther and more educated the population gets the more accountability and freedoms they will want in return. Easy to rule a dirt poor country. All I am saying is that China is better off now than 20-30 years ago.

If the China example isnt to your liking than look at the two Koreas. Which one would you rather live in?

Economically, China is better off, or rather, many in China are now better off (though there is a huge wealth gap). It's certainly debatable as to whether this will carry over to political reform, though. If anything, of late things seem to be getting worse in some ways e.g the teenage schoolkid who was arrested for online rumour-mongering...

• Advertisement

pauldla wrote: »
    I admire the confidence of your assertion, but I can't agree with it. What reforms will come, do you think, and why?

Economically, China is better off, or rather, many in China are now better off (though there is a huge wealth gap). It's certainly debatable as to whether this will carry over to political reform, though. If anything, of late things seem to be getting worse in some ways e.g the teenage schoolkid who was arrested for online rumour-mongering...

Sooner or later the average Chinese will have to make a choice. Stay with the status qua and stagnate (and growth in China will slow, no doubt about it!) or embrace a more liberal mindset and with it economics and move up the ladder. These things will take time and it will not come overnight but there is precedent regarding Hong Kong. The rest of China will become more like it than the other way.

Study the Wenzhou Train collision of 2011 and the reaction of the media
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenzhou_train_collision#Reaction
    The government had to do a massive u-turn regarding the whole situation where state media went on critique the governments handling of the situation. Such a scenario could not be imaginable 20 years ago at the time of the Tiananmen square massacre. The difference? A much more educated and sizeable middle class. Whatever happens, things will not stay the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Cultural capital.
    Pure Luck.
    Inheritance.
    Entrepreneurship.
    Hard work.
    Innovation.
    Speculation.
    Market manipulation.
    Screwing workers.
    Theft.
    Imperialism.
    Trade.
    Corruption.

One cannot become wealthy purely from inheritance?! Are you serious on this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Personal comments against forum posters are treated fairly seriously here on A+A. As the forum charter makes clear, there's no need for them and they seriously damage the quality of debate. Generally, forum mods leave most of the silly or funny stuff go past, though posts which are reported will be treated more seriously and many will be actioned.

Cock-eyed and half-assed claims by one poster that another might be a communist, a marxist, a running-dog imperialist lackey, an anarchosyndicalist and so on are so far from the mainstream of honest debate, that most of them are left go too, as they reflect far less on the usually-innocent recipient, than they do on the poverty of expression of the poster that made the half-assed claim.

Ultimately, a poster's reputation is their own and if they don't value it enough to avoid schoolyard name-calling, well, there's usually little the mods can do to help fix that before the poster is finally shown the door.

One cannot become wealthy purely from inheritance?! Are you serious on this?

Missing something very obvious here, but why ever not? I would have thought a fair number of the very wealthy are there through inherited wealth.

<>

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Businesses aren't good for everyone, but they form an integral part of of our society. The more people there are at work, the fewer people unemployed, the more resources that the state has available to care for those in real need. In terms of improving the average quality of life, we need to focus on those with the lowest quality of life and improve their lot, which takes resources. In a resource constrained environment, having close on half a million people on the dole is an issue that needs to be addressed. My feeling is that people are alway better off doing something than nothing, and even taking on a low paid mundane job is contributing to self worth and society rather than drawing from both.
    The thing is, we don't have a resource-constrained economy, we have an artificial constraint on what we need (Money), to put labour (currently a plentiful 'resource') to work on the resources we already have.

A lot of businesses have a lot of money, but businesses are trapped by the need to make more money than they spend, and business depend on aggregate demand in order to be able to do this - which there is a shortfall of right now.
    So in order to fix this crisis in a short amount of time (so we're not waiting decades), you need to be able to use money to fund labour, without requiring a profit.

I mean think about it: The origin of pretty much all money is the banks (doesn't matter how many hands it exchanges through, it originated from a bank), and the reason making a profit is required is because when money is created by a bank, it has to be repaid with interest - and this is money created out of nothing (not from savings as is commonly taught).

If you get rid of the problem of debt, by just letting some officialdom create money without attaching a debt to it, and using that to pay for jobs, you pretty much solve the entire problem - the problem with that is, it removes power over society away from banks and private industry, so you get everyone with an ideological or personal interest in private power, screaming 'Hyperinflation!', to try and smear it and scare people away from the idea, to keep it permanently out of bounds of acceptable discussion.

Fact is, if a country has control over it's own currency, there is nothing to stop it from both creating and spending its own money, and also taxing and destroying that money, to prevent inflation - but no, this removes power from private hands and must be smeared and removed from discussion.

<>
    Excuse the ninja-delete :)

Missing something very obvious here, but why ever not? I would have thought a fair number of the very wealthy are there through inherited wealth.

That was my point.

Fact is, if a country has control over it's own currency, there is nothing to stop it from both creating and spending its own money, and also taxing and destroying that money, to prevent inflation .

This is not the case for a small country that is dependant to any degree on imports, as Ireland is, e.g. for fuel oil. You need to pay for these in a currency accepted by other countries, which in turn means generating and holding foreign currency reserves. The only way of generating these reserves is via exports, similarly charged in foreign currency which gets held in a reserve. Once you have any kind of a shortfall, or as would be the case in Ireland if we left the Euro-zone, you start in a position of debt, your back to borrowing funds in a foreign currency and paying interest in that currency. To balance the books, you have to put massive taxes on imports, such the local produce is always preferred. Even without import duty, foreign products such as cars, electrical goods, iPhones etc... become very expensive as they are still priced in a foreign currency, and consumption is only affordable for locally manufactured goods.

Of course for small businesses such as my own, manufacturing locally and exporting, it would be a great boon. Paying wages in the new devalued Punt and getting paid in Euros or Sterling would make me far more competitive. First thing I'd do in this scenario would be to set up a bank account out of the country for trading purposes, because the closed economy would necessitate strict control of moving currencies in and out of the state. Every other exporter would likely behave in a similar manner thus further throttling the states ability to import.

Much of this has happened before in Ireland's recent past, where importing and exporting were a nightmare, as the relative value of the local currency fluctuated wildly, and you needed to fill out a bunch of forms to move anything anywhere. (Anyone else in biz long enough to remember endlessly filling out carnets and getting them stamped?).

I do agree unemployed people should be viewed as a valuable potential labour resource more than a burden, but just don't know how or if this potential can be realised. I suspect in your new economy, they'd soon be planting potatoes ;)

That was my point.

Fair enough, the batteries on my sarcasm detector are obviously running low.

It's the internet sarcasm can be hard to detect.:)

I do agree unemployed people should be viewed as a valuable potential labour resource more than a burden, but just don't know how or if this potential can be realised.
    The idea is called workfare ("welfare" -> "workfare", geddit?).

And there's certainly a billion useful things the unemployed could be doing in addition to looking for work -- child-minding, visiting the elderly, planting forests, teaching kids, sweeping streets, building cycle-lanes, maintaining infrastructure and whatever else they're qualified to do or are prepared to learn to do. There's lots out there and there'll never be a shortage.

Unfortunately, any government proposing this would have to go up against the trade unions, existing service providers and, I suspect, a minority of the unemployed themselves. John Major tried it 20 years ago and it went down in flames, badly. Though I see that George Osborne is expected to float the idea again, in a much more limited fashion, at the next Tory party conference.

Fair enough, the batteries on my sarcasm detector are obviously running low.
    It's the internet sarcasm can be hard to detect.:)

I wasn't been sarcastic though. I was expressing incredulity at this post:

Cultural capital.
    Pure Luck.
    Inheritance.
    Entrepreneurship.
    Hard work.
    Innovation.
    Speculation.
    Market manipulation.
    Screwing workers.
    Theft.
    Imperialism.
    Trade.
    Corruption.

(emphasis mine)

This is not the case for a small country that is dependant to any degree on imports, as Ireland is, e.g. for fuel oil. You need to pay for these in a currency accepted by other countries, which in turn means generating and holding foreign currency reserves. The only way of generating these reserves is via exports, similarly charged in foreign currency which gets held in a reserve. Once you have any kind of a shortfall, or as would be the case in Ireland if we left the Euro-zone, you start in a position of debt, your back to borrowing funds in a foreign currency and paying interest in that currency. To balance the books, you have to put massive taxes on imports, such the local produce is always preferred. Even without import duty, foreign products such as cars, electrical goods, iPhones etc... become very expensive as they are still priced in a foreign currency, and consumption is only affordable for locally manufactured goods.

Of course for small businesses such as my own, manufacturing locally and exporting, it would be a great boon. Paying wages in the new devalued Punt and getting paid in Euros or Sterling would make me far more competitive. First thing I'd do in this scenario would be to set up a bank account out of the country for trading purposes, because the closed economy would necessitate strict control of moving currencies in and out of the state. Every other exporter would likely behave in a similar manner thus further throttling the states ability to import.

Much of this has happened before in Ireland's recent past, where importing and exporting were a nightmare, as the relative value of the local currency fluctuated wildly, and you needed to fill out a bunch of forms to move anything anywhere. (Anyone else in biz long enough to remember endlessly filling out carnets and getting them stamped?).

I do agree unemployed people should be viewed as a valuable potential labour resource more than a burden, but just don't know how or if this potential can be realised. I suspect in your new economy, they'd soon be planting potatoes ;)
    It's the case for any country with control over it's own currency. It's not the case for Ireland, simply because we are in the Euro, and don't have control over our own currency (the UK is a better example).

There are too many assumptions in your post, about where the money would go, and the limitations of what can be done with it, so I'll give a much better example:
    You can adopt that method of funding (government creating money for spending, taxing money to be destroyed), without changing the quantity of spending or taxes.

This does not have an effect on the economy because spending/taxation are the same, but now government doesn't need to rely on debt or taxes for funding.

Reorganizing funding like that, without any further changes, has no effect on the economy, but has a fundamental effect on all of politics and economics (it changes the entire narrative/understanding of politics/economics, in a kind of mind-blowing way tbh).

I think that above, might actually be a new and very important/useful way for me to frame that particular debate, so I'm curious if people see what I'm getting at here and understand/agree?

I wasn't been sarcastic though. I was expressing incredulity at this post:

Well yeah but where did the wealth come from in the first place?

• Advertisement

The thing is, we don't have a resource-constrained economy, we have an artificial constraint on what we need (Money), to put labour (currently a plentiful 'resource') to work on the resources we already have.

A lot of businesses have a lot of money, but businesses are trapped by the need to make more money than they spend, and business depend on aggregate demand in order to be able to do this - which there is a shortfall of right now.
    So in order to fix this crisis in a short amount of time (so we're not waiting decades), you need to be able to use money to fund labour, without requiring a profit.

I mean think about it: The origin of pretty much all money is the banks (doesn't matter how many hands it exchanges through, it originated from a bank), and the reason making a profit is required is because when money is created by a bank, it has to be repaid with interest - and this is money created out of nothing (not from savings as is commonly taught).

If you get rid of the problem of debt, by just letting some officialdom create money without attaching a debt to it, and using that to pay for jobs, you pretty much solve the entire problem - the problem with that is, it removes power over society away from banks and private industry, so you get everyone with an ideological or personal interest in private power, screaming 'Hyperinflation!', to try and smear it and scare people away from the idea, to keep it permanently out of bounds of acceptable discussion.

Fact is, if a country has control over it's own currency, there is nothing to stop it from both creating and spending its own money, and also taxing and destroying that money, to prevent inflation - but no, this removes power from private hands and must be smeared and removed from discussion.

IIrc, people had ideas here, to renovate schools, and insulate homes. All paid for by the government. It would put a lot of those who were left unemployed from the construction industry, back to work. (A lot of money is wasted by not having building properly insulated, i.e BER's of G and F)

I think I read some similar ideas from the US, where they could employ people to repair their aged and deteriorating infrastructure, (roads, bridges, rail etc). I don't see the problem, (I'm no Paul Krugman), since there's a mountain of available labour, and a lot of work to be done).

Is it true that a kick-start is sometimes/ always, all that a country needs to breathe life back into the economic engine? The workers I mentioned above, would be paying taxes, not on welfare, paying their mortgage, paying all other utility bills and even have money left over to support local business (clothes, furniture, electronics etc . ). Increased sales require new employees, and it (hopefully) snowballs from there.

IIrc, people had ideas here, to renovate schools, and insulate homes. All paid for by the government. It would put a lot of those who were left unemployed from the construction industry, back to work. (A lot of money is wasted by not having building properly insulated, i.e BER's of G and F)

I think I read some similar ideas from the US, where they could employ people to repair their aged and deteriorating infrastructure, (roads, bridges, rail etc). I don't see the problem, (I'm no Paul Krugman), since there's a mountain of available labour, and a lot of work to be done).

Is it true that a kick-start is sometimes/ always, all that a country needs to breathe life back into the economic engine? The workers I mentioned above, would be paying taxes, not on welfare, paying their mortgage, paying all other utility bills and even have money left over to support local business (clothes, furniture, electronics etc . ). Increased sales require new employees, and it (hopefully) snowballs from there.
    Yes exactly - it's all stuff that would benefit the economy by being done, and all the labour/resources are available to do it, so there's absolutely no reason not to.

It's not really a 'kick-start' to the economy as such, because the problems plaguing the private economy are 1: Private Debt, and 2: Unemployment; both things which hold down aggregate demand, which prevent private business from making enough money to employ people.

So by government giving people jobs, you start resolving the unemployment problem, and through the wages those people get, you start resolving the private debt problem - then aggregate demand is slowly restored, so private business can gain enough profits to hire people again.

It's the case for any country with control over it's own currency. It's not the case for Ireland, simply because we are in the Euro, and don't have control over our own currency (the UK is a better example).

There are too many assumptions in your post, about where the money would go, and the limitations of what can be done with it, so I'll give a much better example:
    You can adopt that method of funding (government creating money for spending, taxing money to be destroyed), without changing the quantity of spending or taxes.

This does not have an effect on the economy because spending/taxation are the same, but now government doesn't need to rely on debt or taxes for funding.

Reorganizing funding like that, without any further changes, has no effect on the economy, but has a fundamental effect on all of politics and economics (it changes the entire narrative/understanding of politics/economics, in a kind of mind-blowing way tbh).

I think that above, might actually be a new and very important/useful way for me to frame that particular debate, so I'm curious if people see what I'm getting at here and understand/agree?

I for one, don't fully understand what you mean. Could you ELI5? (explain like I'm 5)
    government doesn't need to rely on debt or taxes for funding.

Thanks.

I for one, don't fully understand what you mean. Could you ELI5? (explain like I'm 5)

Thanks.
    For a government with control over its own currency (like the UK, which controls the pound), you can change how government funding works, by giving government the power to create money.

Government spending would be funded exclusively by money creation, and money the government collects in taxes would be destroyed.

If you keep the amount that government spends and taxes, the same as it was before, then this has no effect on the economy whatsoever.

Does that much make sense? If so, I can show how that changes how economics is discussed in a very fundamental way.

For a government with control over its own currency (like the UK, which controls the pound), you can change how government funding works, by giving government the power to create money.

Government spending would be funded exclusively by money creation, and money the government collects in taxes would be destroyed.

If you keep the amount that government spends and taxes, the same as it was before, then this has no effect on the economy whatsoever.

Does that much make sense? If so, I can show how that changes how economics is discussed in a very fundamental way.

I think so. An example would be:

Government workers get paid from money created by the Central Bank (not private like the US Fed)?

I think so. An example would be:

Government workers get paid from money created by the Central Bank (not private like the US Fed)?
    Yea pretty much. The effect of this is, if you think about it: Government no longer needs taxes or national debt for funding.

Think also: The main difficulty with using national debt for funding, is that it requires interest payments, and they can become unsustainable; this problem disappears altogether.
    So, if unsustainable debt is no longer the limit to government spending, what is the new limit? (there is a limit, but am just leaving it an open question)

This also completely change the purposes of taxes, because taxes would no longer fund government; what are the new purposes of taxes? :)

To realize just how unbelievably important this is, look at what it does to the austerity narrative: It completely shreds it.
    No longer is debt-scaremongering a valid argument against government spending, and no longer can all government spending increases be countered with "my taxdollars pay for 'x'" type arguments.

It destroys most right-wing economic arguments in general.

For a government with control over its own currency (like the UK, which controls the pound), you can change how government funding works, by giving government the power to create money. Government spending would be funded exclusively by money creation, and money the government collects in taxes would be destroyed.
    Money is a trust-marker - a hard-to-forge attribute which (in an ideal environment, which the market frequently is, at least in terms of basic mutual trust levels) indicates the level of anonymous confidence of one individual or group, in another individual or group.

I don't know whether you're just having a laugh or whether you're being serious in suggesting the above. In the offchance of the latter, then I suggest you read up on the life and times of John Blunt, the main act in the 18th century costume drama that was the South Sea Bubble.

At one point in Blunt's career, I seem to remember that confidence in the paper currency he designed for the French was so low that -- as you appear to suggest seriously here -- he was forced to burn his promissory notes in the center of Paris. One can only imagine the feelings of the Parisians upon watching promissory notes equivalent to their own, disappear up in smoke.

Also, under your proposed scheme, unless the amount of M0 money the government creates to fund its own expenditure equals the amount acquired in taxes, then the trust in the currency will quickly fall to zero via a collapse in trust and the consequent hyperinflation. Hence you're attempting to play within the derivative market of trust, the more basic supply of money. Not a good idea.

Your civilization has collapsed. Would you like to play again?

It destroys most right-wing economic arguments in general.
    As a left-winger, it galls me to say that the right-wing is entirely correct in this. See above.

robindch wrote: »
    Money is a trust-marker - a hard-to-forge attribute which (in an ideal environment, which the market frequently is, at least in terms of basic mutual trust levels) indicates the level of anonymous confidence of one individual or group, in another individual or group.

I don't know whether you're just having a laugh or whether you're being serious in suggesting the above. In the offchance of the latter, then I suggest you read up on the life and times of John Blunt, the main act in the 18th century costume drama that was the South Sea Bubble.

At one point in Blunt's career, I seem to remember that confidence in the paper currency he designed for the French was so low that -- as you appear to suggest seriously here -- he was forced to burn his promissory notes in the center of Paris. One can only imagine the feelings of the Parisians upon watching promissory notes equivalent to their own, disappear up in smoke.

Also, under your proposed scheme, unless the amount of M0 money the government creates to fund its own expenditure equals the amount acquired in taxes, then the trust in the currency will quickly fall to zero via a collapse in trust and the consequent hyperinflation. Hence you're attempting to play within the derivative market of trust, the more basic supply of money. Not a good idea.

Your civilization has collapsed. Would you like to play again?
    You need to read what I said again, instead of adding unwarranted assumptions and hyperinflation scaremongering; put the hyperbole and condescension aside for a minute (that latter of which, condescension, has no place in reasonable debate - it tends to obstruct debate).

Currently government spending depends upon taxation (with some use of national debt); government taxes money and then uses that on spending.

If this were changed, so that government used money creation for spending, and destroyed money collected in taxes, but without changing the quantity spent or the amount taxed, nothing changes in the economy, the overall amount of money in the economy stays the same.

It would be precisely the same as things are now, with only an internal change within government, with how funding is setup - it would not affect the amount of money in the wider economy.

The value of money is also not subjective, you can go out and buy real goods with your money, (importantly) you pay taxes with your money, and when government forces a monopoly on currency you can't just go out and use a different one (not on the scale of an entire economy), so it makes no sense for business to start raising prices when there is no extra money being put into the economy - it just means they don't sell anything.

You can't have hyperinflation, without a massive increase in the amount of money in the economy - the thought experiment (not 'proposal') I laid out, does not change the amount of money in the economy, because government spends and taxes exactly the same amount as before.

• Advertisement

You need to read what I said again, instead of adding unwarranted assumptions and hyperinflation scaremongering; put the hyperbole and condescension aside for a minute (that latter of which, condescension, has no place in reasonable debate - it tends to obstruct debate).
    I wasn't being condescending - my sincere apologies if it came across like that.
    the thought experiment (not 'proposal') I laid out, does not change the amount of money in the economy, because government spends and taxes exactly the same amount as before.
    Yes, but as above, the difference is that in one case the government "balances" its incomings and outgoings by printing money on the one hand, and burning it on the other. That balance might work in some perfect economy where each player absolutely trusted the good intentios of the other, but it will not work in the real world where people can see, on the one hand that their money is nothing more than paper and ink, and flammable paper and ink at that, and created and disposed at the wishes of combustible politicians.

As above, that'll lead to hyperinflation and the collapse of the currency.

Advertisement