Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused Cheques - no longer a customer

Options
  • 02-10-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

As an ex customer I've come across some BOI cheques that I've obviously paid stamp duty on, the account is closed with BOI.

Can you tell me

1. If I can claim back the stamp duty on them?

2. If not why not?

3. What do I need to do - do you have a specific address I need to write to/send them to?

4. What info should I provide?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Vicwatson

You can claim back stamp duty on the unused cheques. You will need to call into the branch you opened the account with and provide them with the unused cheques. They will give you cash in exchange for them.

Alternatively, you may post the unused cheques to your branch including a cover letter with your contact details i.e contact number and home address. A draft for the refund will be issued and the fee for issuing a draft will apply.You can check the charge for a bank draft by contacting your branch.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi Vicwatson

You can claim back stamp duty on the unused cheques. You will need to call into the branch you opened the account with and provide them with the unused cheques. They will give you cash in exchange for them.

Alternatively, you may post the unused cheques to your branch including a cover letter with your contact details i.e contact number and home address. A draft for the refund will be issued and the fee for issuing a draft will apply.You can check the charge for a bank draft by contacting your branch.

Thanks
    Linda
    That's the branch I used to bank with right?

Just take them in there and they'll pay me the stamp duty there and then?

need to take anything else in ?

Thks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi vicwatson,

This would need to be requested in the branch you originally opened the account with. The branch name and sort code will be printed on the unused cheque book. Other branches would be unable to assist you with this. Please ensure to bring valid photo ID on the day. 

We were advised that the cash would be handed over on that day.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement