Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is a 2.2 degree worth having for mechanical engineering

Options
  • 02-10-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All

I have just obtained a 2:2 in Honors Degree in Mechanical Engineering this year (2013) and spent over the past 3 to 4 months looking for a job and got no reply or emailed me saying that I am not want there looking for. I am considering applying for a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering to give me an edge over anyone who has a 2:1 or greater for applying for a job or graduate program. Or is it that employers are looking for experience in the workplace and would it be better spend the year applying for a internship and earning little or no money. Although I have 4 months of work experience I feel this is not enough for the jobs I am applying for. So my question what should I do or any advice to give me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I finished up with the same result as you this year. Applied for 3 jobs, got 2 interviews, and was offered one of those. The other place asked was I interested in an unpaid internship, and I said I wasn't.

Plenty of people in my course finished up with 2.2's and haven't had much trouble finding very good jobs. It's a sector which appears to be in demand, so it's really just about how you sell yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Apply for jobs but unless there's a firm offer on the table I always think some kind of postgrad qualification is a good idea. It's what I did anyway, definitely helped me out.

Out of interest, who's hiring mechanical engineers at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Not sure of exactly who is recruiting at the moment, but people in my course got jobs with the likes of Intel, Mercury, JCB, Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan and Dromone engineering. Plenty of others too.

Advertisement