Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Laptops Dying?

Options
  • 02-10-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I find out one great article about laptops and tablets here ... http://www.techgreet.com/rise-of-the-tablets-and-laptop-dying/ and i think that users are preferring tablets over laptops but professional people still want laptops. So what do you think? Are laptops dying or it is just normal low sale of laptops worldwide?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Dunno! But if it puts a flood of cheap, powerful second hand or new laptops on the market, then bring it on. I haven't owned a desktop for 10 years, just laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Tablets currently don't have the power that laptops do. Until tablets master programs like word and excel laptops will still have a place in professional environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Tablets currently don't have the power that laptops do. Until tablets master programs like word and excel laptops will still have a place in professional environments.
    Making them run "Word and Excel" traps them in the Microsoft pay (extortion?) net, what is really needed is that the alternatives (Open/Libre Office etc.) be allowed to be compatible with them so that Microsoft's dominance is trimmed down some. Level the playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

There's some really gorgeous laptops out at the moment. The Samsung series 5 ultra for example or the Acer ultrabooks.

I don't think laptops are dying at all, maybe for living room use by people only ever browse, watch movies and store their photos but if you use any kind of professional programs a tablet is still no good. Maybe a Surface Pro would do the job but I haven't used one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

can't see it happening soon given the limits of tablets especially in commercial end of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

excollier wrote: »
    Making them run "Word and Excel" traps them in the Microsoft pay (extortion?) net, what is really needed is that the alternatives (Open/Libre Office etc.) be allowed to be compatible with them so that Microsoft's dominance is trimmed down some. Level the playing field.

While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I think, in all honesty that we won't see this any time soon. Who takes the first plunge for example? if I use a non MS package and prepare documents and send them to suppliers or customers who don't know use the same program and don't have the requisite knowledge (or indeed time/resources) to track down an open source compatibility program, then I risk pis$ing people, losing out on business and/or being commercially isolated.

Overall, i don't see laptops dying anytime soon. Tablets do a great job at what they do (I have a Nexus 10 and love it) but (for now anyway) they are not a laptop replacement.

Laptops can do a lot of things that tablets can't do. Laptops do even more things more efficient, and quicker than tablets can.

Advertisement