Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to do in Skibbereen on a Tuesday night

Options
  • 02-10-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We're heading down to Skibbereen next Monday and Tuesday night. On Tuesday we'd like to go out for a nice dinner somewhere. I've had a look at The Church which looks nice but unfortunately closes at 6pm that day. The other place I've looked at is The Eldon, can anybody tell me if this place is very casual. We're not planning on going out for a big posh meal, but somewhere nice we can celebrate our anniversary and an excuse to get out of jeans would be great.

Any suggestions?

Also, we're either going to have a walk at Lough Hyne, or make a trip to Mizen head. We haven't decided yet - is one any better than the other?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dont know Skibereen very well but your not far from Glandore so perhaps the Glandore inn might be an option (have a visit to drombeg stone circle while in the area). Further afield Deasys in Clonakilty is excellent. The west cork hotel may be another option within Skibereen.

Lough Hyne and the mizen head are both beautiful areas. Lough Hyne is closer and great for swimming but for my money the Mizen is better - google and check out crookhaven village and Barleycove beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

If it's open, Mary Ann's in Castletownshend is nice. It would be more expensive than the others you've listed. It's maybe four or five miles from Skibbereen. I haven't been but Lissard Estate is supposed to be good for dinner as well.

Check out Brow Head if you're going to the Mizen. It's further south than the Mizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

Few places to eat in Skibb. West cork hotel are supposed to be ok. As stated Mary Ann's in Castletownsand is good. Another place is the Sibin down towards Baltimore. Lough hyne is nice and there is a great walk to the top of the hill but probably no view with the weather we have at the monument. mizzen head is nice too, but you have to pay to go all the way out to the light house. Enjoy your trip to the most beautiful part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Would highly recommend Mary Ann's, if it is open you should try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I think your answer for Skibbereen is An Chistin Beag. Small quaint little restaurant on Bridge street. Heard great things.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g211921-d3774374-Reviews-An_Chistin_Beag-Skibbereen_County_Cork.html

Mary Anns in Castletownsend is amazingly good and voted the top restaurant pubs in Ireland for several years. The food is on the pricey side with €20 for a main but that's what you pay for such quality. Try the scallops!

As mentioned by West Cork lad there is the Sibin on the road to Balitmore, a lovely quiet country style pub with a hearty traditional menu. Lovely restuarant with a great atmosphere. You could head on 10 mins further to Baltimore and head to Caseys Pub and Restuarant or The Waterfront Bar for some lovely seafood pub grub. There also a french style pizzeria there call the Jolie Brise which is excellent.

The West Cork Hotel in Skibb is fine, nothing to write home about, casual, fast and affordable. The same for the Paragon bar on main street. Up north street is Kalbos which is a lovely cafe but you'd have to check if there are open in the evenings, cozy spot.

As for Lough Ine, you could be up and down that hill in 2.5 hours if your anyway fit and is only 5 mins from Skibbereen. The Mizen is a bit of a drive out but it is another amazing spot but didn't think it was much of a hike bring the camera though as the views are incredible.

Also there's usually a trad session in the Corner Bar in Skibb on the Monday if you are free for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks! We will definitely try Mary Ann's then. Hoping to get down to the town for a bit to eat tonight too. It sounds like there is a fair choice on where to go. I'm not sure why but I thought the town would be very small.

To be honest mizen is a bit of a drive. But I feel it would be a shame to get that far and not go there. Besides that, should be three days of doing very very little.
    I'm lying here in bed hoping my husband wakes up soon so we can get going. excited!

Edit; Trad session tonight?! Perfect!! Thanks. Will absolutely be going to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks! We will definitely try Mary Ann's then. Hoping to get down to the town for a bit to eat tonight too. It sounds like there is a fair choice on where to go. I'm not sure why but I thought the town would be very small.

To be honest mizen is a bit of a drive. But I feel it would be a shame to get that far and not go there. Besides that, should be three days of doing very very little.
    I'm lying here in bed hoping my husband wakes up soon so we can get going. excited!

Edit; Trad session tonight?! Perfect!! Thanks. Will absolutely be going to that.

sheeps head is also worth a visit imo if your traveling out on the mizen,
    not much to do but its a nice looking part of the country, the pub in kilcrohane is nice (eileens) the bay view pub is alright too.
    theres a place to eat in kilcrohane but i think its only open summer months.
    you can walk down to the lighthouse from the end of the peninsula but its a bit of a hike,
    theres also a local producers shop in kilcrohane (sheeps head producers market) which has a variety of local made items from jewelery to preserves.
    theirs some nice walks along the sheeps head way and theres also the air india memorial at ahakista.

theres a place to eat in durrus (gateway) but i cant vouch for its quality as ive not eaten their in a long time as the waitress (whos now left) was rude and ignored my children.
    if you go into bantry while out exploring, theirs a nice place to eat called tractors on main street been in their a good few times and never had a complaint about it.
    service is good although not epicly fast, food is always cooked well and its hot when it arrives.

i quite like the chinese in skibb thats near supervalue i think its called mays garden now (it used to be the great wall) sat in their a few times and also had their take out too.
    west cork hotel is nice but not fantastic, cant really comment much more on skibb as i dont get their often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We're in one of the grove house places and it's absolutely lovely. The weather is bad so we decided to stay in. Three hours in a jacuzzi and food on the way. Perfect. We'll head out for lunch and maybe a trip to mizen tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips. Loving it down here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

If the weather brightens up be sure to go to Liss Ard, its about 2 miles outside Skib, the sky garden is great.

Garnish Island is worth going to as well, and carry on from Glengarrif over the mountain into Kenmare is a v nice journey for the passenger, just make sure the driver watches the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

If you go to Liss Ard and want a short spin go onwards to Tragumna and continue around the coast onto Castletownshend. Some nice views along that road. Detour right at the crossroads just after the Coastguard station and drive around Toe Head. When you pass the small strand on your right you can take the next left to drive up to the old watch tower (this is a dead end) or continue on and next the following left which loops around the headland back to the same spot. The rock formation off the coast is called The Stags and look for the marker buoy a few hundred yards to the right of The Stags - this is where the Kowloon Bridge sank back in the 80s and flooded the coastline with oil.

Go back to the crossroads and turn right to continue to Castletownshend. You could probably eat early in the bar of Mary Ann's if it is open and then follow the main road back to Skibb - total journey would be about 20 miles at the very most. You could also walk around Toe Head if so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

How did the trip to Skibb go. Where did you go. Would you go back again?

Advertisement