Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Shop Issues

Options
  • 02-10-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last week I broke my laptop screen. I took it into a local computer store and the screen has now been fixed but whilst there has developed a keyboard problem, as in it no longer works properly.

Now I know that there was nothing wrong with the keyboard as I was using the laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI. They now want me to pay for the new keyboard but I don't see why I should. I told them this and they said that it was an unrelated fault to the original one and therefore I was to be charged.

What are my options? I know the keyboard was working when it went in and I think they are trying to pull a fast one...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cmssjone wrote: »
    Hi all,

Last week I broke my laptop screen. I took it into a local computer store and the screen has now been fixed but whilst there has developed a keyboard problem, as in it no longer works properly.

Now I know that there was nothing wrong with the keyboard as I was using the laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI. They now want me to pay for the new keyboard but I don't see why I should. I told them this and they said that it was an unrelated fault to the original one and therefore I was to be charged.

What are my options? I know the keyboard was working when it went in and I think they are trying to pull a fast one...
    They most likely damaged the keyboard when replacing the screen but are hoping you will pay for it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They most likely damaged the keyboard whemineplacing the screen but are hoping you will pay for it yourself.

^ This.
    Its also possible some newb replaced the screen and took out the keyboard and couldn't reconnect it. Happened to my gf's before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Its easy enough to extract the keyboard - take a look yourself and see whats wrong - its either going to be easily fixable, or a very clear problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

cmssjone wrote: »
    Hi all,

If the problem is unrelated then maybe they think you're trying to pull a fast one. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Thanks for all the replies. I was under the impression that any computer given to an IT shop is automatically run through a shop testing system to make sure that all (major) faults are located when dropped off.

What was interesting was that when I went to pick it up for the screen problem the guy insisted that I logged in to my computer before I went. I thought this was strange as I assumed they didn't need to go any where near the keyboard to replace the screen. It then transpired that I couldn't log in to my computer as some of the keys were not working. I was then asked if I had spilled liquid on the laptop even though I had previously explained that I had hit the screen. Then they hit me with the "It's s separate fault, not our problem..." spiel. Arggghhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You don't need any training or qualifications to open up one of these backstreet pc repair places and bringing a pc or laptop to most of them will void any warranty or rights you have under the sale of goods act as they are not authorised repair agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Well good news. The shop decided that they would replace the keyboard for free. Thanks for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I wonder if they browse boards.ie in their slack time :P

• Site Banned Posts: 2 andy0078

Hi,

Was the shop called <SNIP> by any chance?
    It sounds like similar stories I have read about this shop. They fix one thing and then break another and then get you to pay mad a price to have it all sorted. <SNIP> if ye ask me!! Beware of these backstreet PC shops!! Another guy on this forum advised the same thing and he was right!! They void warranty in most cases and do more harm then good!

Advertisement