Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynae waiting times

Options
  • 02-10-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what the Current public waiting time is roughly for drogheda and also the rotunda?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the Current public waiting time is roughly for drogheda and also the rotunda?

Thanks in advance

Not sure about Drogheda but I was only waiting two months for Dundalk (if that's any help)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helserbelser

Is there a gynae consultant in Dundalk shashabear?

Is there a gynae consultant in Dundalk shashabear?

There is, I have an appointment with him to begin testing for Endo next Monday. First name is Hassam, can't remember the second name.

Sounds great...is he a gynae or endocrinologist?

Sounds great...is he a gynae or endocrinologist?

Just hoked out my letter.

"Dr. Hassan Rajab's Gynaecological Clinic"

I'd assume that he generally gynae, because I'm being checked for PSOs and getting a follow up for a Grade 1 abnormality smear too.

• Advertisement

Sounds good...my doc has referred me to endocrinologist and gynae....so wondering what can do if hormone related

Sorry meant to say wondering wat gynae can do

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

sorry to hijack an old thread but just wondering if you have an update on this Nicky987?
    Currently waiting on a public gyane appt in either Rotunda or Drogheda too. Been 3 months since referral went to Rotunda & nothing yet (I know it'll be feckin ages but I'd just like a timeframe yet) Asked doc to send referral to Drogheda this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Heard nothing from drogheda yet! Been 6 months and is assume rotunda be longer as well :-(

That was a quick repsonse, thanks a mil!

Jesus it's crazy isn't it :( I've been trying to ring Rotunda to get a rough timeframe but cannot get through. Doubt they would tell me anyway.

I was already diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago but didn't like the gyane I was sent to in Beaumont.

This time I'm being referred as I have a dermoid cyst on one ovary but am hoping to address the PCOS with them as well.

Am hoping to start trying for a baby next summmer at this rate I'll barely have been dealt with by then, especially if I need the dermoid removed!

Hope you get sorted soon, thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

hey girls,
    Im currently attending public gynae in Drogheda.

After I was referred (last June) I rang to see about general waiting times. I was told that all referrals are reviewed and prioritised when received-urgent is anywhere from 4-6months and standard referral could be 18-24 months. (not sure what criteria for each was).

I had gone for private gynae appointment beforehand which really sped up the process for me as it showed large cyst and I was prioritised as very urgent as a result of this for initial appointment (seen within 3 weeks)

No harm in ringing and they might be able to update you..I also rang the rotunda recently as I was thinking of transferring hospital and again they said referrals were prioritised when received but think average waiting time was 18months..

Absolutely crazy system and waiting times. Might be quicker if theres known condition there..

Thanks Starlight. Jesus it is just utterly crazy isn't it :mad:
    Well I'm probably way down the list as my clueless GP just wrote a 1 line letter saying I have a dermoid cyst. Never included the ultrasound report or mentioned my PCOS (also mentioned on the scan report). I should really ask him to send another I suppose.
    I don't even know if this is possible but I'm going to ring & ask if I can see a gynae privately but go on public list if I need surgery. I've no health insurance & I can stretch to private consultant fee but definitely not an op/hospital stay. It's crazy the amount of groundwork we have to put in to get seen, have spent half of this week playing phone tag with the rotunda & my gp's office due to disappearing bloods!

Starlight, hope you are getting well looked after now you're finally in! I know you can't name names here but how are you finding Drogheda?

yeah blondie the waiting times are just crazy :mad: although my initial appointments moved quickly I was waiting a good few months for surgery that was deemed urgent! kick myself that I didnt have health insurance but sure hindsight is a wonderful thing :o

I think it could be worth your while revisiting your GP and maybe sending in supporting letter with your file..definitely the fact you have an existing condition should move you up the list..do you know what size your cyst is? Just to reassure you aswell that after my referral went in the hospital did contact gynae where I had scan/ultrasound to get a copy so hopefully they should do the same for you..If Ive learned anything in the last year though its to be as proactive as you can so dont be afraid to chase things up. I feel your pain on the phone tag thing..at times I felt like I was stalking the gynae team but needs must!

Also may be worth doing research into which gynaes if any have special interest in PCOS if you are thinking of going private route first. I have heard that they have tightened up on transferring patients from private to public but not sure if this is hearsay...is also something I had been considering

I will pm you now about my experience as dont want to name names on here ;)

Just finally got through to the rotunda. 12 months wait & cannot go to private consultant but then go back on public list.
    Starting to regret my moral stance against private health insurance!! (and crap salary!! ;))

blondie82 wrote: »
    Just finally got through to the rotunda. 12 months wait & cannot go to private consultant but then go back on public list.
    Starting to regret my moral stance against private health insurance!! (and crap salary!! ;))

just messaged you back there blondie.

Oh I know how you feel about the health insurance!!have been kicking myself recently that I never bothered getting it..

I would try to get your doc to send in supporting info with your referral-as you have an existing condition I would imagine you should be seen quicker..

what exactly did they say about going private for consultations and then public if any surgery needed? (was something I had been considering too but heard the same thing)

Thanks a mil Starlight, will reply to message now

I'm kinda raging about the health insurance but at the same time it bugs me that we should even need it when we already pay through the nose with tax/prsi/usc. I used to have it but it just felt like a waste. I figured if I was ever really sick I'd have to be looked after. I know I'm not actually 'really sick' so I can see why I'm not priority but I feel like time is of the essence now. Chances are I may not need surgery but if I do I want it out of the way before I start ttc. Think I will go to the doc & ask them to send a supporting letter saying I am ttc now & about the pcos, try & get bumped up at least a little bit, fingers crossed!

Re the public/private thing, I just asked the girl that answered the phone in the rotunda if i could go to a consultant privately but go on the public list if i need surgery & she just said a very outright 'no' immediately. I'm presuming there is probably a way around it but that is the official line. Maybe I'll ask in Drogheda too to see if I get another answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

So I received a letter last week saying how sorry they were that I haven't received a appointment as yet and did I still need it. Sent my reply in so I'm still waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just about the going private and having a op publicly. The official line is you can't switch between the two. The consultant I was seeing was really helpful towards me as she had preformed an op publicly for me years previously so pulled some strings so I could get it done publicly while still seeing her as a private patient. So it is possible, will just depend on the consultant you get.

Otherwise I was told numerous times that there is always the option of going to your gp and getting them to refer you for something that would require the investigations other than infertility. I know this option is a bit unethical but if you cannot afford the op as a fertility investigation or wait over a 1 year for it, this is a option. You will get seen publicly a lot sooner too as fertility problems are not seen as all that important unless you are forking out the cash for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smchugh84

Does anyone have any info on Dr Hasan Rajab? We were referred to him as our consultant for pregnancy but can't find any info on him

Hi smchugh84
    I've been to see Dr Rajab once & he is doing laparascopic surgery on me very soon. I googled him also & couldn't find anything but from a few things I've heard he seems to have a good reputation.
    During the one consultation I had with him he seemed fairly good, not over the top nice but seemed very on the ball & answered any questions I had. There was a couple of options for me treatment wise & he seemed keen to let me make the decision & choose the best course of action which I liked.
    Will update you after my op!

• Advertisement

Thanks Blondie82,

Havent heard any info on him as being a consultant in the maternity unit so i just wondered if he was good in that area. By all accounts he seems a very good surgeon.

no prob smchugh84...are you actually pregnant at the mo & he is your consultant? If so may not be many on here with experience of that on the trying to conceive forum so maybe try posting on the pregnancy forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1092 or the parents of newborns & toddlers forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1339 you might find people who are or have recently been patients of his
    Good luck :)

Thanks Blondie 82. Yes, I am pregnant and he is our consultant. I hope the op goes well.

Thanks a mil smchugh84 & congrats :)

Thanks, only 7 weeks but very excited :-) First time.

smchugh84 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info on Dr Hasan Rajab? We were referred to him as our consultant for pregnancy but can't find any info on him

congrats smchugh and best of luck with your pregnancy.

Like blondie, I only have experience of Dr Hassan as gynae.

I have found him really good so far -he carried out surgery on me in January, went very well and was very informative and approachable in the post op review. From my research he does seem to have a really good reputation (but again I would have mainly been focusing on gynae/surgery feedback)

Best of luck and hope some other ladies can give you more pregnancy relevant information :)

Advertisement