Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up spare Router as a Wireless Connector

• 02-10-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

New on boards.ie, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried setting up a spare router as a wireless connector? I've been looking online and Ive found a few guides alright, not having too much success with it though.
    I have the sky router from when they tried and failed !! to change me from UPC to sky so maybe its that..

Hope someone has an idea!!

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

you need to say the make of both routers, and it sounds like you want to use one router as a wireless extender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

You want to use a Sky router to extend your wireless coverage from a UPC router? Your wording is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 genie_mac

Sorry I'm not good at English! :-P
    Basically I have broadband with upc, I have b Cisco router for that.
    Sky gave me their router when they tried to switch me so I have that lying around the house and I was trying to make it a wireless extender.. it's sky's own brand router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Try this.
    Assign a unique IP address on the sky router in the same address space as the cisco lan, Turn off DHCP on the sky router.
    Set up wirless on the sky router (ssid, channel etc). Attach an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the cisco router to a LAN port on the sky router and you should be good to go.

Advertisement