Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn up for Sale

Options
  • 02-10-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

The former Superquinn supermarket at Carroll Village Shopping Centre has been placed up for sale for €1.25 million by estate agents Lisney.
    The retail unit, which has been closed since the summer of 2011 when it traded as Carroll Village Supermarket, is approximately 3,800 sqm.
    The store initially opened as Superquinn in 1999 but closed in February 2009. Due to contractual obligations to the centre – which is now completely vacant – Superquinn were forced to reopen the store just before Christmas 2010 to honour a 20-year ‘keep open’ clause in their lease agreement.
    However, they named it Carroll Village Supermarket and the store struggled to attract trade back before closing just over two years ago when it was omitted from Musgrave’s purchase of Superquinn.
    Lisney’s appear to be trying to attract interest in the store by namechecking some of the neighbouring tenants such as Tesco, Penneys, IMC Cinema, O2 and Bank of Ireland, while also mentioning some of the big name multinational companies trading in the town.
    The property comprises a ground supermarket with ancillary office/staff accommodation at first floor level. The ground floor provides an extensive modern retail floor plate together with storage and stock areas, which open directly onto a service yard. At first floor level there is ancillary office/staff accommodation, which includes canteen and toilet facilities.
    They are advertising the property as having a “myriad of uses”, subject to planning.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/10/02/former-superquinn-in-dundalk-for-sale/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So? There's commercial property on sale in Clanbrassil St and elsewhere in town at the moment as well. This was in the property section of the Irish times and the sale has been well flagged.
    What auctioneer does not talk up any property they are trying to sell?

At 1.25M it is certainly priced to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I imagine Carroll village is empty now? Haven't been there in so long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

MugMugs wrote: »
    I imagine Carroll village is empty now? Haven't been there in so long now.

Empty and completely closed. It's a blot on the landscape. And a big car park going to waste as well, or at least I don't think it's open and used, is it?

mod9maple wrote: »
    Empty and completely closed. It's a blot on the landscape. And a big car park going to waste as well, or at least I don't think it's open and used, is it?

Well, is it or isn't it open? ???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Theres usually a handful of cars when i pass it in the mornings, i agree its a waste, the cinema should take it over util its sold on, but make it free because the one with the ehh...'caravans' in it isnt big enough.

• Advertisement

That general part of town could do with a good refurb to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That general part of town could do with a good refurb to be fair.

Clanbrassil St, Bridge St and in around Carroll Village all need a refurb.

Bridge Street must be one of the ugliest run down looking places in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'll give them €1.25 for it! It's worth about that.

Oh, wait...

They want €1.25 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

€1.25 million are they joking or are they paying that to you to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Well, is it or isn't it open? ???? :D

:P

Carroll Village? Closed. The car park? I don't know.

• Advertisement

It was a rhetorical question. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Wrecking ball!! Smash it up - it was a ridiculous building in the first place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Wrecking ball!! Smash it up - it was a ridiculous building in the first place.....

Listen to Miley Cyrus there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The carpark was open about two months ago, that's the most recent info I can give. Parked in it then.

Roddylarge wrote: »
    Listen to Miley Cyrus there.

Who?

Well ok?? She has some serious fetish issues for demolition equipment....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I always thought that Tesco might move there.Their Longwalk supermarket operation seems cramped for the kind of business they seem to want to do.

Well ok?? She has some serious fetish issues for demolition equipment....
    She can handle a wrecking ball alright.
    I always thought that Tesco might move there.Their Longwalk supermarket operation seems cramped for the kind of business they seem to want to do.

They're probably tied into The Longwalk as an anchor tenant.

On top of that, there's no surrounding retail in Carroll Village anymore. That's all long gone !

A. As they are building their own super store, and had planned to for years, why tie into a lease or buy in Carroll village?
    B. Will they bother with the Long Walk when the new store is built.
    C. Cramped? There's rarely anybody in the longwalk Tesco - one in front at till at most. Hardly cramped either when many isles are half empty of stock.

• Advertisement

A. As they are building their own super store, and had planned to for years, why tie into a lease or buy in Carroll village?
    C. Cramped? There's rarely anybody in the longwalk Tesco - one in front at till at most. Hardly cramped either when many isles are half empty of stock.

Commitment from Tesco to the Unions is that they will continue to trade in The Longwalk.

From what I understand, Penneys are itching to get out of there. I'd say once they walk, Tesco won't be far behind after the "super duper store" is up and running.

So wreck the both and start reclaiming the Demense back to parkland!

Chance would be a fine thing!

Yes sure. And bring back the slums when the CBS is now. Flatten Coxes and restore the streams and demesne that were once there. And reinstate the pond where Grants is in Dublin street. !

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

I don't know when you go there but there is always a good few in there when im in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

peewee_44 wrote: »
    I don't know when you go there but there is always a good few in there when im in there.
    100%.
    I hate queueing and thats all i mostly do when im in Tesco in the Longwalk SC(*Hint* Avoid the place like the plague on Thursday mornings ;) )

100%.
    I hate queueing and thats all i mostly do when im in Tesco in the Longwalk SC(*Hint* Avoid the place like the plague on Thursday mornings ;) )

Fridays from 9 to11 no queues at the checkouts at all. Anyway, I digress........

Flatten Coxes and restore the streams and demesne that were once there. And reinstate the pond where Grants is in Dublin street. !

Sounds like a great idea!

So who got your knickers in such a twist?

Sounds like a great idea!

So who got your knickers in such a twist?

Oh relax! Nothing twisted at all. Just pointing out that most of the town is built on something else that was lamented in it's passing. I don't know what has annoyed you so much in that. I note you abridged my list in your quote for some reason.

Those of us who remember the playing fields and Carroll's yards replaced by Carroll village don't lament their passing as they were unused and untidy. If like me you'd rather it return to the parkland it was before that - China bridge and all - then you also remember many areas drastically changed for good and for bad. Having seen the Long Walk go from a gated avenue lined with magnificent trees, I find the whole Long Walk area, incl bus depot, to be an eye sore.
    Anyway, as said, no big deal no knickers twisted on my part although something seems to have touched a nerve - for which I apologise while being baffled by it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement