Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peats Liquidation Sale - this Sat/Sun

• 02-10-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭

liquidation-sale2.jpg

Potential bargins??

At their Parnell Street branch:
    Saturday 5 October 11am-6pm
    Sunday 6 October 12pm-6pm

Pity to see them go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Not much of a pity at all, was always outrageously expensive compared to their UK counterpart and in general. USB cable? That'll be 20 euro please!

Thanks for the alert though op!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

any chance of them having cheap internal hard drives for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Is there a list of exactly what's going to be sold anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm looking for computer RAM for my MacBook Pro. Is this something that they do?

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some at the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think it will be 'first come, first served', and Saturday would be the day to queue if you want to be sure of getting what you want (if they have it).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭odddavey

liquidation-sale2.jpg

Potential bargins??

At their Parnell Street branch:
    Saturday 5 October 11am-6pm
    Sunday 6 October 12pm-6pm

Pity to see them go.

I saw the ad on the Metro, terrible ad.
    No mention of where the sale was on.
    Is that a sign of how badly it will be organised, I can see chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Saw the ad in the metro, was quite small. Hopefully wont be too busy sat morning. Looking for a 32 inch TV and some speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

odddavey wrote: »
    I saw the ad on the Metro, terrible ad.
    No mention of where the sale was on.
    Is that a sign of how badly it will be organised, I can see chaos.

The notice where their website use to be suggests it's at their Parnell Street Store.

http://peats.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

You'll still be able to get everything cheaper online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

No loss tbh, always found them to be way too expensive. Sorry that jobs were lost though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Is there a list of exactly what's going to be sold anywhere?

A range of TVs, Hi-Fi, speaker systems, laptops and accessories
    Including well known brands such as:
    Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, Denon, Sonos and Sennheiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Could be a cash only sale if its liquidators....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

what2do wrote: »
    Could be a cash only sale if its liquidators....

And no warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

stimpson wrote: »
    And no warranty.
    It is the manufacturer or their national distributor who provide the warranty not the retailer.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    It is the manufacturer or their national distributor who provide the warranty not the retailer.

But your contract is with the retailer. You may have difficulty getting the manufacturer to honour a warranty as you may not get a receipt, goods may be ex-display etc.

Anyway, even if you get 50% off Peats prices, you'll probably still find it cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Did Peats not go into liquidation a while back but were rescued at the last minute? Used to love Peats as a child, getting my computer games there, the staff really knew their stuff back then. But it was very expensive in the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

bought a monster hdmi cable off em a couple of years ago. Payed a good few quid for it but the salesman knew his stuff and sure enough it works a treat to this day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

jmorrisey wrote: »
    bought a monster hdmi cable off em a couple of years ago. Payed a good few quid for it but the salesman knew his stuff and sure enough it works a treat to this day
    I bought 2 hdmi cables for €2 each 4 years ago that still both work perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The salesman clearly didn't know his stuff:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Here we go ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

A range of TVs, Hi-Fi, speaker systems, laptops and accessories
    Including well known brands such as:
    Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, Denon, Sonos and Sennheiser

Doesn't say what models, specs etc.
    Do they not know or just couldn't be a**ed telling us?
    Would you go to a car auction if the poster just said there will be VW's, Renault, BMW's, Volvo's etc auctioned with no list of the actual models being auctioned?
    I'd guess it's deliberate so that people don't know what is on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Anyone want to hazard a guess how much an average enough laptop may be up for sale here on saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I thought the post was being sarcastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Anyone want to hazard a guess how much an average enough laptop may be up for sale here on saturday?
    €327.49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Kevin! wrote: »
    Not much of a pity at all, was always outrageously expensive compared to their UK counterpart and in general. USB cable? That'll be 20 euro please!

Thanks for the alert though op!
    degsie wrote: »
    No loss tbh, always found them to be way too expensive. Sorry that jobs were lost though.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but i find Maplins ridiculously expensive. Any of the staff i encountered in Peats knew what they were talking about. I've been told in some of the English stores on more than one occasion, that the item i'm looking for doesn't exist.

First time i was in shock, third and fourth time was to prove it to a friend.

Find an item, common enough, but not well known, go into one of the stores and try it for yourself.
    It probably works better if they have none in stock, then the staff member is more convinced it doesn't exist, because they don't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Should I take it that because they didn't list "Apple" as on their ad that they won't have iPads?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Didn't think any retailer is "allowed" sell Apple products below cost price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Didn't think any retailer is "allowed" sell Apple products below cost price?

I think Peats could do what they like,, its not like Apple will get them shut down or anything :P

Dow99 wrote: »
    I think Peats could do what they like,, its not like Apple will get them shut down or anything :P

Of course they are. Price fixing is illegal. I've often seen MacBooks on deep discount on Groupon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Gangu

Do they sell household electrical goods, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

I dropped in for their last going out of business sale - and didn't notice that much off - certainly not clearout prices - more like Jan sales - didn't buy anything.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Anyone going? Let us know if any good deals...

flyguy wrote: »
    Anyone going? Let us know if any good deals...
    I'm there now. First in queue (actually the only person in the queue). Bearded guy on the nod, paper coffee cup in hand.... want me to reserve anything for you?

Not your ornery onager

ozmo wrote: »
    Cool- any indication as to the prices on anything- any posters in window or stickers visible inside?
    Wait til I count me change, Bud.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Esel wrote: »
    I'm there now. First in queue (actually the only person in the queue). Bearded guy on the nod, paper coffee cup in hand.... want me to reserve anything for you?
    You till there by yourself?

• Advertisement

Well if you don't mind, actually if you could just get me a few things, don't worry I'm good for it!;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hope it was worth it dude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Peeped into Peats yesterday evening and they had a lot of stuff marked as 30% off. There were also loads of notice on the windows about the 'terms of sale' that this is liquidation sale, no warranty from them, can't use gift cards / vouchers etc. All in all it didn't look great, but perhaps they had better deals further inside the shop. If anyone has been there this morning, please update!

Opens at 11am.
    How many are in the queue now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Opens at 11am.
    How many are in the queue now?

Just passed by and there must be 400 queueing outside and around the corner into Jervis St.
    It's going to be carnage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- think I'll give it a miss- thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

11:15 - all the good stuff is probably gone by now.

Sorry to see them go. Used to get a few bits in there in the late 80s/early 90s but they were always very expensive and the rise of online shopping killed them off IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I need to know whether there are old Creative/Sony mp3 players there, might get one on the cheap. These liquidation sales do tend to throw up some stock items that have been gathering cobwebs for decades in some back room.

Drove by around 11:30 queue still around the corner into Jervis street. Think about 200-300 people at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I was there about 11:30. Queue went back to at least the corner of Jervis street and they were letting people in as people came out. Guy at the head of the queue said it was about 30 minutes from the corner of Jervis street.

If I thought there was going to be good deals I'd have queued but I like my Saturdays too much to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I got there at about 10.50, was inside by 11.20. The queue for the till was way worse than the queue to get in. I was in the market for the laptop hard drive but they didn't seem to have any, still did pretty well, got about €150 worth of miscellaneous stuff for 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you spot any Sonos?

Got in at 11.45am.
    Queue went to the corner but no further, got in at 12.05pm.
    Watched the people coming out, not many Peats bags (not a good sign).

I'd say a lot of the stuff went to the "early birds" (or staff ;)) as there were no Laptops, Hard Drives or TV's at 12pm.
    Lot of stuff on the tables reduced to €1, €5 and €10 (phone covers, chargers etc), printer cartridges reduced to €5,
    A lot of main stuff reduced by 30, 40 & 50% (Radios, Amps, DVD players etc) but the staff were giving an extra discount if you were buying a load of stuff.
    Lot of people in a long queue waiting to pay when I was leaving.
    Doubt if there will much left for Sunday.
    Staff were brilliant with so many people asking questions.

Overheard security saying a girl had her phone swiped! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Did you spot any Sonos?

Only what was on the wall. One play 3 and one play 5 and a connect. No use, only down by 20%.

I only picked up miscellaneous bits and pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Passed by- no q so went in- Nothing worth going in for- overpriced stuff at 30% off. Total chaos with no clear pricing.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement