Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The first hawwww of the Autumn/Winter

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Watching the Shaktar Donetsk and Man Utd highlights in Donetsk, Ukraine and there is a serious hawwww coming off their breaths ! Reminds me of last May in Ireland :)

Long way off seeing that colder, frostier weather here I'd say ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes we had it very cold here last week. That night you mentioned it got down to -8c here. Most nights now we have a frost, this morning there was just a grass frost with an air temp of around 2c. Days though are still very warm and mostly sunny, lovely typical autumn weather. Yesterday it was 19c and sunny, this morning is gorgeous, with temperatures today again in high teens perhaps even the odd low 20. Next week could be the first start of winter here, the "S" word has been mentioned with daytime temps in low single figures and severe frosts at night. We had snow here on the 20th sept in the mountains where i am living, i think 12cm's was recorded above 1500m. Our house is half that at 700m asl. I am on the Slovakian border, in South East Poland a real contrast from the west of Ireland.

Also on a side note, There is an abundance of Mushrooms and fungi this autumn, the biggest crop ever in the forests, according to old wives tales, its a sign of a hard winter. Last time there was this many fungi, the town near me recorded -42c and there was snow more than a meter deep. My friends in lapland are also saying the same thing. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Bumper crop of mushrooms the last few days in Ireland too (south east). But I don't think they can predict the future. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah same here, The green area outside had an abundance of mushrooms until some kids decided to kick them

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I've noticed the same here in Wales. Massive patches of mushrooms and large in size. Most I ever remember seeing about, in fact today I found a large patch as well as a monster. Well maybe not a monster but the largest one I've ever seen. I also wondered does it mean anything weather wise.I did think at first could it just have been the result of the good summer that we have not seen in a few years in Wales but from what I have read mushroom usually prefer shady cool and damp places.

Advertisement