Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the lightning to 30 pin adaptor work in both directions ?

• 02-10-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

I have a 30 pin to HDMI adapter. If I get a lightning to 30 pin can I couple these up & play stuff from my iPad mini ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The lightning adaptor doesn't support video, so it wouldn't work with HDMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Lighting-to-HDMI adapter doesn't even technically do a direct conversion. In true convoluted fashion, the adapter actually has an active AirPlay module inside of it. the iDevice uses AirPlay Mirroring to bridge the 3 inch gap between your phone and the HDMI connection. Kinda sad, really. As part of dropping 23 pins they needed to install an ARM Processor with 2GB of RAM into the adapter to make Lightning-to-HDMI functional. Apple is extremely form over function - AirDrop being one of the latest examples!

http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Overheal wrote: »
    The Lighting-to-HDMI adapter doesn't even technically do a direct conversion. In true convoluted fashion, the adapter actually has an active AirPlay module inside of it. the iDevice uses AirPlay Mirroring to bridge the 3 inch gap between your phone and the HDMI connection. Kinda sad, really. As part of dropping 23 pins they needed to install an ARM Processor with 2GB of RAM into the adapter to make Lightning-to-HDMI functional. Apple is extremely form over function - AirDrop being one of the latest examples!

http://www.panic.com/blog/2013/03/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise/

That's just totally crazy and awesome all at once!

Edit-
    Ahh it's not as impressive having read the blog, it's not really airplay, it uses the same hardware h264 video encoders to encode the video but then sends it directly to the adapter through the lightning connector which converts it to HDMI.
    Doesn't use the airplay network protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

dloob wrote: »
    That's just totally crazy and awesome all at once!

People say it's convoluted and sad now but i can see this being the future of cabling, especially for backward compatibility. The cable itself will do all the conversion for you, like a USB soundcard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement