Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training around shift work!!!

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Looking for advice on how to train over the winter while on shift work..

Working week is made up of either 4 x 12hr days 8am to 8pm and a week of 3 x 12hr nights 8pm to 8am.

Keeping in mind I have a 1 hour drive before and after work with no scope to get a session in on lunch break.

little or no time the days I'm working.. any help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

TheEagles wrote: »

Working week is made up of either 4 x 12hr days 8am to 8pm and a week of 3 x 12hr nights 8pm to 8am.

Keeping in mind I have a 1 hour drive before and after work with no scope to get a session in on lunch break.

Up at 6am and run or turbo trainer for 45mins-1hr, 7am drive to work. Im the same but a 7.40 start 8.30 finish when on days and 8-8 when on nights. Training after a shift is not nice, turbo trainer is doable but run would be a struggle. I recently got a turbo for the exact reason you posted this thread and find it a great help. Slip a swim in after work sometimes. Thats how I fit things in, you just have to get used to being tired all the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Is there anywhere you can park your car 20-30km from work and cycle rest of way-- 45min cycle to and from work are great sessions! also do you not even have a 40min lunch break where you can fit in a 5k run and shower? sounds like you work same shift i work - 5cycle 4 12hr nights then 3 12hr days then 3 12hr nights then 4 12hr days.... training is doable but takes alot of determination and a turbo trainer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Trig1 makes very valid points - lunch must offer some type of window. Cycling to and from might work but it depends on where you live and where work is - could be dangerous cycling late at night, etc

Planning is the way to go. Sit down and map out what hours you have available and take it from there. Be honest and realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

pgibbo wrote: »
    Trig1 makes very valid points - lunch must offer some type of window. Cycling to and from might work but it depends on where you live and where work is - could be dangerous cycling late at night, etc

Planning is the way to go. Sit down and map out what hours you have available and take it from there. Be honest and realistic.

Thanks guys, some pretty good points put out there. Lunch is not an option as only a 30min period.. at least its the winter months and not the start of major training. not sure how i'll manage it if still on this shift pattern come next jan or feb!!! just have to get through these few months doing what I can with some kinda routine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Thanks guys, some pretty good points put out there. Lunch is not an option as only a 30min period.. at least its the winter months and not the start of major training. not sure how i'll manage it if still on this shift pattern come next jan or feb!!! just have to get through these few months doing what I can with some kinda routine..

Seriously, get a turbo trainer!! Really helps out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

roseybear wrote: »
    Seriously, get a turbo trainer!! Really helps out
    Have a turbo and your right it'll really help keeping things going... It'll become my new best friend by the sounds of things!!

Advertisement